• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation trying to grow market by expanding to PC but console remains core market (PS Co-CEO)

Woopah

Valve and Nintendo are the other two major platform holders. They keep their games exclusive to their platforms. Valve doesn’t bother with consoles anymore. Why don’t they want to expand into other platforms and make more money than they currently make? Do Valve and Nintendo have an aversion to money? Does Sony know something the other two don’t? Has Sony figured out something that no other platform holder, gaming or otherwise, has not? Or is it more likely they are being mismanaged and making illogical decisions like Xbox?
In Nintendo's case its largely because:

1. Their exclusives are more important to their success than Sony's exclusives are to their success
2. Nintendo doesn't have the margin challenge that Sony does.

Deluded liar

This won't be true in 2 to 3 months to be fair.

If anything PS5 might end up selling significantly more than PS4 due to success in China. It's outpacing the PS4 in every region outside of Europe and the UK was close until a few months ago.

Let's wait until we get the next fiscal report before claiming China will help PS5 outsell PS4. Because if BMW can't help offset declines in other markets, then that dream of yours ain't happening.

I hope Sony is taking their position in the gaming industry more seriously than you are. Let’s revisit this conversation in four years when they fall short of PS4 sales, even with less competition from Xbox. 🤣

By the way, there's a significant fanbase that stuck with PlayStation mainly for Japanese games. Do you know which console is now better suited for that fanbase than PlayStation? Here’s a little hint: it’s not Xbox. 😉

Do you know which other platform gets the same amount (or even more) of Japanese games than PlayStation? Here's a little hint: it starts with a "P" and is followed by "C".

So yes, there are alternatives, and asking too much from their loyal customers could really lead to their downfall. At least their console side of things.

There are other big companys who fucked up big time and who have big problems nowadays. So nothing is set in stone.

No you see, those two don't count because they aren't direct competitors like Xbox.

Even if Xbox has been a joke of a competitor for most of the past 10 years. Only direct competitors matter; SIE told me so dude!

I don’t think PlayStation is at risk of losing people committed to their ecosystem. There’s just fewer reasons to jump in for everyone else.

Microsoft took that same gambit early on this gen when they initiated Day 1 Steam for their games...

..that went well for them didn't it?
Not even just Microsoft. Activision, Ubisoft, EA all tried and failed, eventually coming back to Steam. The Borderlands EGS exclusivity experiment failed. There’s no way Sony tries doing the same IMO. It’s a fool’s errand.

Theoretically speaking, Sony could outdo Steam but that'd require the following:

-Getting ALL the same indie & 3P support Steam has (by no means an easy task)​
-Have feature parity with Steam (they lack in a lot of areas compared to Steam even on their console)​
-Provide SIGNIFICANTLY more and better features than Steam (this is the key; again if they were willing to do this, we'd have seen it by now on PS5)​
-Have pricing parity (or undercut in pricing) in software, and:​
-Have a good selection of exclusive games to cap off the value proposition.​

They would need to do ALL of these things in order to have any real chance at disrupting Steam, especially in any reasonable time span (~ 5 years; remember Steam's been around since 2003!). Quite frankly, it ain't happening, and if anything, that would be happening with their own PlayStation consoles already if they had the answers to make such a push, since PlayStation hardware actually exists as a product & business right now whereas a PS PC launcher is...just some code and assets on databases not yet launched.

It was on the geforce leak so its just a matter of time. The same with demons souls. They port so much that they don't have enough resources. That's probably the only reason alot of stuff hasn't happened yet.

Yep which would leave just Astro Bot, Destruction All-Stars (LOL), and Spiderman 2 as the remaining 1P exclusives on console. GT7 too technically, but that was also in the leak.

Now if SIE have reversed course on this strategy that would be great IMHO, for many various reasons. But when a co-CEO keeps saying statements like this one, coupled with all the focus they've already put on PC this year, it becomes increasingly clear they're at least staying course with the PC strategy, if not going to accelerate to much shorter staggers (if not Day 1) sooner vs. later.

That Death Stranding 2 presentation just got a new angle of interest on it, one that might be quite contentious. Remember DS1 was among one of the first big 1P exclusives to go to PC and at a stagger window much shorter than, say, Horizon. And, going by stuff like Until Dawn & LEGO Horizon, if SIE want to test Day 1 PC for non-GAAS, they'd start with games not from their internal 1P studios.

If Sony want games like Elden Ring, Hogwarts, and Black Myth Wukong, then start making more big AAA games that clearly hit with the market! Instead, and it's clear now, that SIE let GAAS distract from some portion of their traditional game dev pipeline, and they've let disingenuous activists groups cosplaying as consultants negatively affect some of their output this gen (Concord being the most infamous of this). BMW is a case example where if you make a game that clearly resonates with a big enough customer demographic, it will sell and sell plenty.

Sony wanting games like that right off the bat for a new console just a couple years on the market was always unrealistic, and now that they're getting to the install base capacity where that is possible, they've neutered that possibility with their PC strategy. There are probably more gamers who now just wait for the ports on PC than even SIE would like to admit, since they've created that precedent now. That is an artificial problem they created for themselves this gen.
Whatever they make won't be close to these games sales wise, that's why a game that wasn't too hyped before release and had no marketing at all (HD2) is their fastest selling game ever, Sony has some big hits on Playstation recently like Spiderman or GoW, but there's only so much you can sell being exclusive, and even their biggest games will always be 1-2 steps behind the games like the first ones you mention.

Now, if they don't sell that much, but still manage to sell consoles like the PS5 Pro, making profit per hardware sold, they should be more than happy, and grow their profits just like Nintendo.

Fabieter

Whatever they make won't be close to these games sales wise, that's why a game that wasn't too hyped before release and had no marketing at all (HD2) is their fastest selling game ever, Sony has some big hits on Playstation recently like Spiderman or GoW, but there's only so much you can sell being exclusive, and even their biggest games will always be 1-2 steps behind the games like the first ones you mention.

Now, if they don't sell that much, but still manage to sell consoles like the PS5 Pro, making profit per hardware sold, they should be more than happy, and grow their profits just like Nintendo.

Nintendo is selling some of their games like those mp games you mentioned. So Nintendo is on another planet as far as profits go and that will remain the case.

All hope for Sony is on gta vi 🤣
There is no need to hope. The game not being available on PC at launch is going to make ps5 numbers go up.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

Portbegging for Astro Bot?

Before you know it, people might be tempted to bite and get a Playstation as secondary platform.🙃
If they were true gamers, they would have done it by now. Playstation is the only plaform that has access to ALL of the most popular games to release this year, except for Nintendo games, but those are mostly for kids.

Last edited:

Fabieter

If they were true gamers, they would have done it by now. Playstation is the only plaform that has access to ALL of the most popular games to release this year, except for Nintendo games, but those are mostly for kids.

I love Astrobot but are you srsly simping Astro just to shit on Nintendo games for being for kids. Like what?

GHG

Gold Member
Ok. Here you go…

SSD - Adata Legend 850 Lite
Mobo - Gigabyte B650 Gaming Wifi (thats the name)
PSU - Cooler Master MWE 550 V2
RAM - Crucial 8gb 4800 MHz

Ram modules only these available in 8gb variants.

Other than the motherboard those parts are pretty bad and/or are from brands with poor reliability/reputations.

SSD - awful brand, unreliable, horrible warranty/RMA policies.

Motherboard - good, but it's an MATX board, unless you're going with an MATX case it would make more sense to get an ATX board so that you hsve more expansion slots for storage and PCIE.

PSU - bronze rated, not modular, doesn't include the new power connector for GPU's, avoid at all cost. This is one area you do not skimp on under any circumstances.

RAM - good brand but it's slow DDR5, for AMD builds ideally you want to go with 6000 mhz since that's the sweet spot, you'll get far better performance and run in to less issues with 6000 DDR5

I'll also touch on the CPU you mentioned previously - it's terrible, avoid. It's starved of PCIE lanes so you won't be able to get the best out of whatever GPU you decide to go with (it will run at 8x instead of 16x) and it will also have implications for your storage. There's also the fact that it's has half the cache seen in other desktop CPUs which will also cause performance issues. If you're going for AM5 don't settle for less than the 7600x. The price difference isn't big enough to justify such a huge drop-off and you'll thank yourself down the line.

This is what I'd suggest to use as a base for an AM5 build that you can add a GPU for your choosing to:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/72H3KX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($182.14 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650 PG LIGHTNING ATX AM5 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $629.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-15 02:41 EDT-0400

A note on the system ram - ideally you want to up that to 32GB, I actually wouldn't recommend 16GB anymore for new builds in 2024 and beyond. 16GB is now starting to hit it's limits for gaming and it's only going to get worse:

LaucG9W.jpeg

So find/allocate more budget for that if you can, you can make the jump to 32GB for just an extra $30 by going with some teamgroup T-Create 6000 DDR5.

I'd suggest you post your proposed build in this thread as well for further advice:

Don't be too cheap with the core components of your PC, particularly as far as the power supply and motherboard go, that way you'll avoid significant headaches in the future.

Last edited:
Other than the motherboard those parts are pretty bad and/or are from brands with poor reliability/reputations.

SSD - awful brand, unreliable, horrible warranty/RMA policies.

Motherboard - good, but it's an MATX board, unless you're going with an MATX case it would make more sense to get an ATX board so that you hsve more expansion slots for storage and PCIE.

PSU - bronze rated, not modular, doesn't include the new power connector for GPU's, avoid at all cost. This is one area you do not skimp on under any circumstances.

RAM - good brand but it's slow DDR5, for AMD builds ideally you want to go with 6000 mhz since that's the sweet spot, you'll get far better performance and run in to less issues with 6000 DDR5

I'll also touch on the CPU you mentioned previously - it's terrible, avoid. It's starved of PCIE lanes so you won't be able to get the best out of whatever GPU you decide to go with (it will run at 8x instead of 16x) and it will also have implications for your storage. There's also the fact that it's has half the cache seen in other desktop CPUs which will also cause performance issues. If you're going for AM5 don't settle for less than the 7600x. The price difference isn't big enough to justify such a huge drop-off and you'll thank yourself down the line.

This is what I'd suggest to use as a base for an AM5 build that you can add a GPU for your choosing to:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/72H3KX

A note on the system ram - ideally you want to up that to 32GB, I actually wouldn't recommend 16GB anymore for new builds in 2024 and beyond. 16GB is now starting to hit it's limits for gaming and it's only going to get worse:

LaucG9W.jpeg

So find/allocate more budget for that if you can, you can make the jump to 32GB for just an extra $30 by going with some teamgroup T-Create 6000 DDR5.

I'd suggest you post your proposed build in this thread as well for further advice:

Don't be too cheap with the core components of your PC, particularly as far as the power supply and motherboard go, that way you'll avoid significant headaches in the future.
Cool. Thanks.

Parts you mentioned are a bit more expensive here. Will see what I can do. It always becomes a debate of, probably I should invest more in GPU/monitor instead.

GHG

Gold Member
Cool. Thanks.

Parts you mentioned are a bit more expensive here. Will see what I can do. It always becomes a debate of, probably I should invest more in GPU/monitor instead.

It's always better to determine what TV/monitor you will ge using first so that you can build the PC around the specified resolution and framerate capabilities.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They think they can have their cake and eat it too. If they truly mess this up, there will be no going back to the status quo.

Yea but only having a digital option, more and more people will switch to digital only and finally Sony has a excuse to kill it. I would be shocked at this point that Sony allows physical next gen. They are full on arrogance mode rn.

We’re still in the conditioning phase as Sony slowly lean towards digital.

First PS5 digital and standard model.

Then introduce external disc drive with slim models

Then PS5 Pro with expanded storage but no disc drive. They don’t even bother calling it “PS5 Pro digital” anymore, because they are silently getting people used to digital only being the standard here

Last edited:

Fabieter

We’re still in the conditioning phase as Sony slowly lean towards digital.

First PS5 digital and standard model.

Then introduce external disc drive with slim models

Then PS5 Pro with expanded storage but no disc drive. Then don’t even bother calling it “PS5 Pro digital” anymore because they are silently getting people used to digital only being the standard here

Yea its the same with exclusive going to PC the want a smooth transition for people to accept it. All those fans mocked Xbox people last gen for not having exclusives.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Its the boiling frog syndrome. Easier to make them accept the change if it is a progressive small ones

Like how it was all 'only last gen late ports to PC' to 'current gen late ports' and 'day 1 only for gaas'.
And now we're getting Until Dawn and lego Horizon adventure day 1, while PS co-CEO is being questioned about the fast growing PC gaming business in the OP (as evidenced by the multi-million copies of Palworld and Black Myth Wukong sold on PC this year I presume, and the continuous CCU records being broken in the past years)

Last edited:

Fabieter

Its the boiling frog syndrome. Easier to make them accept the change if it is a progressive small ones

Like how it was all 'only last gen late ports to PC' to 'current gen late ports' and 'day 1 only for gaas'.
And now we're getting Until Dawn and lego Horizon adventure day 1 while PS co-CEO is being questioned about the fast growing PC gaming business in the OP (as evidenced by the multi-million copies of Palworld and Black Myth Wukong sold on PC this year I presume, and the continuous CCU records being broken in the past years)

You can see a slow change of heart with the fans. They will soon accept day one games as well. Was really well played by Sony.

EGS would have been a success except they tried PAYING for 3rd party exclusivity. Not only does Sony have more games than Epic, but they have better access to leverage 3rd parties. They can do one of two things (among others actually). They can pay for exclusive titles that they used to pay for against Xbox that they no longer need to pay for OR they can simply offer publishers royalty free publishing on their PC launcher at least initially.

If Sony offered 3P royalty-free publishing on their PS PC launcher/storefront, those 3P would demand to get the same treatment on the console. And if not, they would just prioritize the PS PC storefront, assuming it grew.

In any case, 3P presence won't mean anything unless it were significant enough, and it would only get there with Sony leading by example. A big breakthrough 3P game on Sony's launcher that's somehow exclusive there in the PC space isn't going to magically help the launcher take off. Even with the royalty-free option, there is no guarantee 3P would consider it worth the time, and perhaps the only way they would is if the royalty-free option were tied to them having a console publishing license.

So again, Sony either reduce or eliminate the 30% cut on console publishing, or they keep it free on PC. There's no "initially", either: once it's set, it's set. 3P would balk if Sony tried reintroducing the royalty cut and just go focus wholly back on Steam or whatever else. Even with these suggestions Sony would never have enough market share on PC to do away with royalties initially only to then reintroduce them later on.

As you can see, this idea you've got just doesn't work because either way Sony lose out on a significant profit stream.

If I'm Sony, I have my PC launcher ready to go 3-6 months ahead of GTA6 being ready on PC. I then tell T2 that they can publish on the launcher with zero royalties in exchange for the game being exclusive on that launcher for the first 12-18 months and GTA Online being exclusive on that launcher for some time period or in perpetuity.

This is how you build a successful launcher, by building out the base.

Someone else ITT already addressed why this wouldn't work, but in case they didn't say the following then I will: why would T2 give a new, small-market share PS PC launcher exclusivity on GTA6? Do you genuinely think getting rid of the royalty fee is enough for T2 to do such a thing? They would be giving up potentially 10+ million sales on Steam alone at launch just to push maybe 2-3 million on Sony's launcher? And that's assuming the launcher has a big enough install base by the time GTA6 launches, or that GTA6 can push that type of adoption.

The truth is, we don't know what GTA6's sales performance is going to look like. Everyone's just basing it off GTA5, but GTA5 is also the only GTA that's done 200 million, and that was over the course of three console generations/10 years. Also I'm sure GTA Online was a huge part of pushing those numbers, so the question is how much can GTA6 do in the span of a year? My number's on 25-35 million.

Now, would Sony's PC launcher be ready Day 1 alongside the console versions? There's no chance T2 are going to have GTA6 be 1+ years exclusive to console, then another 12-18 months exclusive to a super niche launcher. T2 would much rather prioritize a Switch 2 version ahead of giving Sony's PC launcher exclusivity. They aren't going to ignore Steam at the first moment the game finally comes to PC, plus I assume whatever new GTA Online is ready would coincide with a launch on Steam.

Sony could get T2 to put up a version for their launcher alongside Steam and try other incentives to get people to buy it on their storefront, but you can forget about them getting 1 year exclusivity on PC when they can't even get 1 year exclusivity of the game on PS5 (at least based on what we know right now).

Sony doesn't need to beat Valve on PC. They just need to generate more than 80% of their own PC revenue. Same with T2.

Over time, my guess is that you would see erosion in Steam or at least people using multiple launchers, which they're already doing.

How do you suppose any of this happens when:

1: The alternative launchers that get usage all either specialize in very specific niches (DRM-free old games with GOG) or brands mainly tuned to GAAS (Fortnite with EGS, VALORANT and League of Legends with Riot's. WOW, Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 etc. with Battle.NET), and...​
2: The growing cross-proliferation of console gamers & PC gamers actually creates a self-competing problem for Sony in maximizing their PC launcher growth due to the popularity of PlayStation consoles?​

So with point #2, you either see growth of the launcher at the expense of some erosion with the console install base, or the games SIE have that'd normally be of benefit in the PC space via the launcher, benefit the console instead and the launcher ends up struggling to survive?

You're acting like the console and the launcher are on an even playing field: they aren't. For Sony to get their PC launcher into a place where it could even be self-sufficient among options like Steam will require them to make MANY choices and prioritizations that come at varying levels of expense to the PlayStation console. SIE is a division of finite resources, and finite manpower. Some of the things they'd have to do in order to catapult their PC launcher would cause blatant conflicts with their own console You even mentioned one here: GT6 launcher exclusivity for 12-18 months, as if that's anywhere near realistic of a thing. Otherwise if so, Sony'd have timed exclusivity for GTA6 on console .

You know...console...the thing that actually currently exists and has massive market share to leverage for such a deal. Any PS PC launcher exclusivity would be connected with PS5 console exclusivity, and I doubt Sony have a launcher ready to go by the time GTA6 launches on console, or six months after the fact.

You completely ignore the fact that this gen launched during a pandemic, there were shortages for 2-2.5 years and the current world-economy is shit, with PS5 being priced higher than at launch due to inflation, while people have less and less money to spend.

Coupled with the fact that the majority of games released so far have been cross-gen, there's a lot of people who are still on last-gen.

I'm not ignoring any of those things. SIE were well aware of them as well, and even with that, at ONE point, forecasted PS5 to be ahead of PS4 launch-aligned by the end of their last FY. That clearly did not happen.

We can talk about what factors contributed to them missing the 25 million target and then missing the down-revised 20 million target, but I'll tell you this much: that initial 25 million target was probably factoring in a lot of Xbox gamers leaving that platform and going to PS5, as well as some Nintendo gamers upgrading their secondary systems from PS4 to PS5.

Yeah, we can say that some portion of the PS4 owners > PS5 owners transition they banked on to hit the 25 million didn't happen due to things like extended cross-gen, or price increases (I'd have to see if SIE revised down the FY target before or after the first wave of PS5 price increases in FY '23). However, there is definitely some portion of Xbox and even Nintendo-primaries they were expecting to go to PS5 with the initial forecast that just did not end up happening.

Wasn't there even a report that a signifcant part of the PS5 userbase were completely new users?

Yes; I forgot the specifics but it was something like 40'ish percent. However, that was measured of a certain tracking period IIRC, and considering in totality PS5 has not been trending anywhere near 40% ahead of PS4 launch-aligned, we can safely assume those "new" customers are likely a mix of expats from Xbox, some Nintendo people and a few PC people.

This has pretty much always been the case and since you adressed the case of people owning both PC and PS5, that's what Sony is after when it comes to the PC installbase.

Okay but that's coming at some of the expense of their console. Look at Helldivers 2 for example: yeah Steam helped with it selling as much as it did, but people act as if Steam weren't a thing, the game would've sold everything but the Steam numbers.

This isn't true. A lot of PS5 owners went and got the Steam version of HD2 for reasons including higher peak performance, cheaper pricing and free online. Or in some cases, like with PS5/PC owners who primarily play on PC, Steam was just their preferred ecosystem and so they bought it there. However, those people would have very likely bought the game on PS5 if it was a full-on PS5 exclusive.

Would there have been a gargantuan surge of PS5 sales due to HD2 if it weren't on PC Day 1? That's harder to say; however safe to say when also combined with the other games on the platform, there would have been a stronger surge in PS5 console sales if the game were exclusive. Moreover, a delayed PC launch would've helped SIE and Arrowhead sort out the PSN issues so that they could be clearly communicated to buyers prior to the Steam launch, and therefore avoided that public debacle back in late Spring (which did seemingly hurt the game's community and sales on Steam).

Your last statement (bolded) is inevitable, because there will barely be a Xbox demographic left to move to any platform.

So that makes it okay for Sony to bleed customers over to PC? Because Microsoft's been doing it?

Microsoft have several major vested interests in PC, even if they don't own Steam (and never will unless Steam's market share just craters massively and Gabe does a panic sale). They have the Windows OS, DX12U, PC OEMs, Nvidia, AMD, Visual Basic, Office suite and various medical/military/business etc. licensing contracts.

Sony have NONE of these vested interests; the only one they had was VAIO and they sold that off over a decade ago.

It's a different world.

Similar to the industry I work in, the days on gunning for endless truckloads of products to sell at bargain prices for sake of top line sales and marketing managers bragging about gaining 1.5 pts of share the past 6 months are over. At least for consumer goods. That started happening about 10 years ago. But really focused on the strategy about 6-7 years ago. That's actually not much different than console makers keeping console prices high starting with PS4/One generation. They never dumped off systems for $99, or even incurred $200+ losses per unit at launch for sake of user base. if this was the 360/PS3 days, the console prices went into the gutter, tons of bundle deals, buy a console and Best Buy was giving away 5 games etc... I remember buying a 360 Slim because of RROD around 2012 and the pack in bundle was 3 free MS games.... Gears, Alan Wake I think and Fable or Halo. I forget, but I gave away two codes. This 250gb system was way cheaper than my 20gb Pro system.

They've realized that keep console prices high helps their profitability best as possible right off the bat, maintains it with few price drops or sales, and the money comes from whales doing mtx, gamers doing sub plans and the like.

The last thing they want are gamers who buy a console for dirt cheap for a big loss, and all they do is play F2P games with no mtx. PS is in a worst spot for these low value gamers because I think you can do F2P games without PS+. While MS requires a sub plan to play F2P (I think, but maybe they changed that).

The company I work for has had profits and margins zoomed up nicely despite top line sales barely growing. And some years profits went up with LESS sales. Our focus changed cutting out bargain hunters only buying stuff for 99 cents or $1.99. If our market share tanked, we dont care anymore holistically. Of course you dont want a brand to drop from 30% to 5%. But if it dropped from 30% to 25% but our profits zoomed up, were all happy and our bonuses are great since market share % isnt even a worker objective for bonus payouts. It's all about Net Sales, Profits and Cash Flow metrics.

I just want to know, what market factors really took effect to change pricing trends with console hardware this gen, that are so radically different to even last gen. Because what you're describing is a very recent phenomenon; even with 8th gen we saw generally expected price drops, though yes $99 or $199 were out of the question in most cases. That said, we did generally see price cuts every few years; the only time there were price increases were with the Pro models and that was only returning to launch MSRPs.

Honestly, I don't think inflation is the only culprit to why prices are on the rise this gen vs. being reduced. There's a certain element of corporate greed with suits this gen that was absent the last gen, or better kept in check last gen. Maybe it's due to the influx of new investors when these companies started making shares specifically targeted at being sold on growth prospects? Or just the wrong people getting promoted to high positions wanting more pay bonuses? A combination of these things?

Or maybe the Apple model has just become too prevalent in the tech industry? There's always that too I suppose.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If Sony offered 3P royalty-free publishing on their PS PC launcher/storefront, those 3P would demand to get the same treatment on the console. And if not, they would just prioritize the PS PC storefront, assuming it grew.

In any case, 3P presence won't mean anything unless it were significant enough, and it would only get there with Sony leading by example. A big breakthrough 3P game on Sony's launcher that's somehow exclusive there in the PC space isn't going to magically help the launcher take off. Even with the royalty-free option, there is no guarantee 3P would consider it worth the time, and perhaps the only way they would is if the royalty-free option were tied to them having a console publishing license.

So again, Sony either reduce or eliminate the 30% cut on console publishing, or they keep it free on PC. There's no "initially", either: once it's set, it's set. 3P would balk if Sony tried reintroducing the royalty cut and just go focus wholly back on Steam or whatever else. Even with these suggestions Sony would never have enough market share on PC to do away with royalties initially only to then reintroduce them later on.

As you can see, this idea you've got just doesn't work because either way Sony lose out on a significant profit stream.

You've made this argument out of wholecloth.

That's like saying gamers will demand that Sony offer free online gaming on console because it is free on PC. Except, that's not the case at all. There's a massive difference between the two. Sony doesn't own the PC space, they do own the console space. There's still value there for publishers and sony has the leverage of 110+ million MAUs.

I don't even think Sony would offer royalty free for everyone and probably not for every game. We already know that Sony offered a royalty discount to ABK for CoD.

Someone else ITT already addressed why this wouldn't work, but in case they didn't say the following then I will: why would T2 give a new, small-market share PS PC launcher exclusivity on GTA6? Do you genuinely think getting rid of the royalty fee is enough for T2 to do such a thing? They would be giving up potentially 10+ million sales on Steam alone at launch just to push maybe 2-3 million on Sony's launcher? And that's assuming the launcher has a big enough install base by the time GTA6 launches, or that GTA6 can push that type of adoption.

The truth is, we don't know what GTA6's sales performance is going to look like. Everyone's just basing it off GTA5, but GTA5 is also the only GTA that's done 200 million, and that was over the course of three console generations/10 years. Also I'm sure GTA Online was a huge part of pushing those numbers, so the question is how much can GTA6 do in the span of a year? My number's on 25-35 million.

Now, would Sony's PC launcher be ready Day 1 alongside the console versions? There's no chance T2 are going to have GTA6 be 1+ years exclusive to console, then another 12-18 months exclusive to a super niche launcher. T2 would much rather prioritize a Switch 2 version ahead of giving Sony's PC launcher exclusivity. They aren't going to ignore Steam at the first moment the game finally comes to PC, plus I assume whatever new GTA Online is ready would coincide with a launch on Steam.

Sony could get T2 to put up a version for their launcher alongside Steam and try other incentives to get people to buy it on their storefront, but you can forget about them getting 1 year exclusivity on PC when they can't even get 1 year exclusivity of the game on PS5 (at least based on what we know right now).

T2 will lose hundreds of millions of dollars just by having Valve take 20% of their profits. T2 can always release GTA6 on Steam later if they feel like they have to, but ask yourself why Fortnite isn't on Steam or Roblox isn't on Steam, and why Minecraft isn't on Steam.

We're not basing it off of just GTA5, we're basing it on the growth of GTA, which also includes the success of GTA Online. If I'm T2, I would love for Sony to give me royalty free publishing for PC for GTA and Red Dead to include the online components of this.

I would imagine Sony wouldn't launch the PC launcher with GTA as that's asking for trouble. I'd imagine it would come out at least 6 months to a year earlier. Meaning they'd need to probably launch it day 1 with console GTA6 or maybe 6-12 months depending on how long it takes to get the PC version ready.

Also its rumored that Sony has paid money for a marketing deal for GTA6, so it would not surprise me if they've worked out a deal for PC as well.

How do you suppose any of this happens when:

1: The alternative launchers that get usage all either specialize in very specific niches (DRM-free old games with GOG) or brands mainly tuned to GAAS (Fortnite with EGS, VALORANT and League of Legends with Riot's. WOW, Diablo IV, Overwatch 2 etc. with Battle.NET), and...​
2: The growing cross-proliferation of console gamers & PC gamers actually creates a self-competing problem for Sony in maximizing their PC launcher growth due to the popularity of PlayStation consoles?​

So with point #2, you either see growth of the launcher at the expense of some erosion with the console install base, or the games SIE have that'd normally be of benefit in the PC space via the launcher, benefit the console instead and the launcher ends up struggling to survive?

You're acting like the console and the launcher are on an even playing field: they aren't. For Sony to get their PC launcher into a place where it could even be self-sufficient among options like Steam will require them to make MANY choices and prioritizations that come at varying levels of expense to the PlayStation console. SIE is a division of finite resources, and finite manpower. Some of the things they'd have to do in order to catapult their PC launcher would cause blatant conflicts with their own console You even mentioned one here: GT6 launcher exclusivity for 12-18 months, as if that's anywhere near realistic of a thing. Otherwise if so, Sony'd have timed exclusivity for GTA6 on console .

You know...console...the thing that actually currently exists and has massive market share to leverage for such a deal. Any PS PC launcher exclusivity would be connected with PS5 console exclusivity, and I doubt Sony have a launcher ready to go by the time GTA6 launches on console, or six months after the fact.

Like I said, I think Sony will want GTA Online on their PC launcher. It also where they can push their own GaaS titles.

You've made #2 up. There is no evidence of cross-proliferation, but let's say you're right and there is. Sony would be well suited to create their own launcher and attract console gamers going to PC, especially if they can maintain friends lists and trophies from their console days.

There is no reason any of this has to come at the expense of consoles.

SIE is looking to grow in resources and manpower. It's the whole point of reaching new markets.

Sony no longer needs exclusivity on consoles and the money it spent on exclusivity on consoles they can now focus on PC. Xbox is dead.

I disagree that Sony can't make big 1P AAA that sell like BMW or Hogwarts, or HD2 in the span of a few weeks while still keeping them exclusive. They can; they just would need to be more flexible on some things.

-STORY: Get the overpriced Hollywood writers and consultancy firms out of the process, ASAP. BMW shows you don't need things like that to have a great story and connect with tons of people of various backgrounds. Removing these two things would probably save Sony at least $20-$30 million in development costs per game alone.

-PRICING: Sony need to get more serious with flexible features for console owners. If they had something like a tiered payment/installment program/subscription for new releases where people can either pay in full Day 1, or pay in monthly installments over a period of time directly through PS Store, they'd see a lot more sales in software overall. Keep the options clear, simple and consistent. Give people a way to either adjust payment amounts when a game gets a price cut, or reimburse the difference in PS Rewards points & store offers.

Yeah, your shareholders may have to wait to see the full line of revenue/profits from some of those game sales (because people could be paying the games off over the course of fiscal quarters), but if they have a problem with that tell them to STFU and look at the unit sales. That money'll come through eventually anyway.

I bet you if they did this for, say, Wolverine or the next Spiderman, we'd easily see them push 15-20 million on PS5 alone in the span of two weeks max, let alone additional copies thereafter. The logistics in setting this up shouldn't be too difficult and I'm surprised they haven't already gotten on top of it.

And yeah, Microsoft & Nintendo (hell, Valve or Epic too for that matter) could implement similar things, but Nintendo would have the least need to anytime soon. It is probably hard convincing short-term profit-driven corporations to see the obvious benefits of such an approach, though.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
I think a hypothetical ps5 that is smaller and cheaper and with actual exclusives could sell as much as the ps2 did or even more. They also need to find ways to drastically reduce their development time and budgets.

And if it is feasible, they really need to come out with a ps portable that is compatible with all or at least the overwhelming majority of ps4/ps5 games. Basically focus on finding ways to get a ps console, any kind of console, into peoples' hands. They need to grow the number of ps users, not steam users.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You look at the difference between Valve and Epic.

Valve has DOTA and CS and Epic has Fortnite, Rocket League (and Genshin Impact).

Outside of that Valve has better 3rd party games and a better launcher.

EGS would have been a success except they tried PAYING for 3rd party exclusivity. Not only does Sony have more games than Epic, but they have better access to leverage 3rd parties. They can do one of two things (among others actually). They can pay for exclusive titles that they used to pay for against Xbox that they no longer need to pay for OR they can simply offer publishers royalty free publishing on their PC launcher at least initially.

If I'm Sony, I have my PC launcher ready to go 3-6 months ahead of GTA6 being ready on PC. I then tell T2 that they can publish on the launcher with zero royalties in exchange for the game being exclusive on that launcher for the first 12-18 months and GTA Online being exclusive on that launcher for some time period or in perpetuity.

This is how you build a successful launcher, by building out the base.

Sony doesn't need to beat Valve on PC. They just need to generate more than 80% of their own PC revenue. Same with T2.

Over time, my guess is that you would see erosion in Steam or at least people using multiple launchers, which they're already doing.

Sony may have more games, but all of them combined are not as popular as Fortnite. We saw the Steam numbers for all their games.

Interesting you bring up rockstar, because I think that is the road Sony ends up taking. Have your own bare bones launcher for your own games, launch them there and collect 100% of revenue, then a few months later drop them on Steam.

demonstr8

Short term gain for long term loss. Clearly on the path to where Xbox is now. The current executives will bail before the SHTF just like Jim Ryan. I dunno if they can course correct any more either...

Last edited:

ArtHands

They're willing to kill their console business to compete in the PC space. It's a bold strategy considering how important Playstation is to the company.

Keeping playstation as the core of the business while putting all games on PC is a contradiction. they're direct competitors.

Playstation doesn’t necessary refers to a home console now. If can refer to a platform, publisher, and many other things.

They are just increasing the presence of Playstation on PC, so it is not contradictory if Playstation PC ends up being the core of their business in the coming years.

I love Astrobot but are you srsly simping Astro just to shit on Nintendo games for being for kids. Like what?
I really didnt try to shit on it. Nintendo games target a younger audience. Thats why even Lego Horizon is releasing on the Switch. More younger gamers on that platform compared to Xbox and Playstation. Its just not a gaming experience I have any interest in.

I dont even really look at Astrobot as a kid game, but others might. You literally had to have been a long time playstation owner just for you to get the references. Nostalgia and fan service is part of the charm, on top of having some fun platform mechanics.

Fabieter

I really didnt try to shit on it. Nintendo games target a younger audience. Thats why even Lego Horizon is releasing on the Switch. More younger gamers on that platform compared to Xbox and Playstation. Its just not a gaming experience I have any interest in.

I dont even really look at Astrobot as a kid game, but others might. You literally had to have been a long time playstation owner just for you to get the references. Nostalgia and fan service is part of the charm, on top of having some fun platform mechanics.

There is no arguing that nintendo audience is younger than PlayStation and xboxs demographic, they are the only console maker who actually brings new people in regularly.

Well like I said Astro bot is great but just as much of a kid game than mario games for example despite the nostalgic values though.

I bet you if they did this for, say, Wolverine or the next Spiderman, we'd easily see them push 15-20 million on PS5 alone in the span of two weeks max, let alone additional copies thereafter. The logistics in setting this up shouldn't be too difficult and I'm surprised they haven't already gotten on top of it.
You think sales would triple by allowing customers to buy in installments? i mean it's videogames after all, 70 dollars, it's not an Iphone or more expensive stuff.

Nintendo has a higher install base lately and most if not all Switch buyers get that console for the Nintendo games basically.

That'll never be the case for Playstation, historically it's been a console with a great 3rd party strenght, many people buy it for the Fornite, Fifa, CoD, GTA and the rest of monster games, even i got a console just to play Fifa, plus the install base is not that big, specially at this point of the generation.

It's hard for Sony to create a game with a bigger mass appeal than Spiderman, action game for all publics, from a giant IP, open world blabla, it could get beaten by some other exclusive by the end of the gen, but not by much, and it'll never be close to the multiplatform titles of course.

Woopah

There is no arguing that nintendo audience is younger than PlayStation and xboxs demographic, they are the only console maker who actually brings new people in regularly.

Well like I said Astro bot is great but just as much of a kid game than mario games for example despite the nostalgic values though.
Both Astrobot and Mario are kid friendly, but that doesn't make them kids games.

They are targeted at all ages.

drganon

whether it is a mistake or not, its safe to say this is inevitable. PC gaming is only going to grow, with or without PS games/pandemic. At the same time Sony will have to continue coping with shareholders asking them about their PC effort

Playstation doesn’t necessary refers to a home console now. If can refer to a platform, publisher, and many other things.

They are just increasing the presence of Playstation on PC, so it is not contradictory if Playstation PC ends up being the core of their business in the coming years.
As always, your takes really are some of the dumbest things posted on this site.

You think sales would triple by allowing customers to buy in installments? i mean it's videogames after all, 70 dollars, it's not an Iphone or more expensive stuff.

Nintendo has a higher install base lately and most if not all Switch buyers get that console for the Nintendo games basically.

That'll never be the case for Playstation, historically it's been a console with a great 3rd party strenght, many people buy it for the Fornite, Fifa, CoD, GTA and the rest of monster games, even i got a console just to play Fifa, plus the install base is not that big, specially at this point of the generation.

It's hard for Sony to create a game with a bigger mass appeal than Spiderman, action game for all publics, from a giant IP, open world blabla, it could get beaten by some other exclusive by the end of the gen, but not by much, and it'll never be close to the multiplatform titles of course.

Maybe not triple, but they'd see a good increase by maybe 40-60%. Sure the games are "only" $70 but we also know that as inflation continues and the economy gets rockier, people become more price-conscious. That price-consciousness varies depending on the product. For example, people on average might be less price-conscious about a console than they are about specific games, especially if they know said games would normally drop heavily in price after a few months.

So when you look at it this way, SIE or whoever else could actually use this type of model in order to cull back on the need for price drops in order to increase volume of unit sales. Therefore, retaining launch or a high MSRP (relative to steep price cuts) would be a prime reason to take up an installment-subscription model for new game releases. We also have to consider the chance that the average game price could increase yet again in a few years, so such a model would look even more attractive to platform holders & publishers.

In terms of SIE games with mass appeal, I mean if we're going by just the IP then yes, Spiderman is probably as big as it gets. But that doesn't mean Spiderman 2 was the perfect realization of a game using the IP. Many improvements could be had, or new gameplay twists, some genre twists, better story & writing etc. and all of that would contribute to a game released in the same conditions selling even more. Then you open that up to an installment-subscription payment system, and there's a reason for the game to retain its pricing for longer. It's also a good reason to perhaps withhold throwing it into a sub service to drive up units, since going by HFW we already know that devalues the game and cuts down on B2P sales dramatically.

I think a hypothetical ps5 that is smaller and cheaper and with actual exclusives could sell as much as the ps2 did or even more. They also need to find ways to drastically reduce their development time and budgets.

Yes to all of this. I genuinely don't think many would mind if the PS6, in terms of total TF, memory bandwidth or general GPU power, were just a slightly enhanced PS5 Pro. And instead of going ham with higher TF or memory bandwidth, the actual gains would come in yet more purpose-built AI-powered acceleration technology, including more advanced PSSR, advanced RT acceleration, and things that can dramatically speed up development (such as a way for the hardware to auto-construct LODs based on analyzed and predicted feedback from framebuffers. Basically think of giving the GPU a way to do something like branch prediction; this could also be combined with frame generation tech).

Maybe that's part of the reason PS5 Pro is $699; maybe it will serve as more of the basis for PS6 than we think, so might as well get the profit margins now then re-contextualize that tech into a product at a more regular price 4 years from now. Not to say PS6 wouldn't have any general compute improvements over the Pro; maybe 20-25% more TFs, somewhat larger memory bandwidth etc. More cache, and more RAM for sure. But I strongly doubt PS6 will be some 2x jump over the PS5 Pro in base/general performance metrics like TF or memory bandwidth, or GPU clock etc. nor does it need to.

Truth is the big hurdles to AAA game dev now are budget, time, and manpower. You need a lot of all three to get a leading AAA game to market within 5-6 years. So the focus with PS6 (and though maybe more PC than console by this point, the next Xbox) should be on finding ways to ease up on the requirements in those areas. Maybe not targeting 50+ TF, 64 GB, 2 TB/s monsters next gen would help a lot in that regard.

And if it is feasible, they really need to come out with a ps portable that is compatible with all or at least the overwhelming majority of ps4/ps5 games. Basically focus on finding ways to get a ps console, any kind of console, into peoples' hands. They need to grow the number of ps users, not steam users.

Going by some rumors that should be in the works. But I think that handheld also needs to play scaled down PS6 games natively. However that's done, it should basically be automatic on the system side, so devs don't need to scale down assets or manage code down to fit on such a device.

You still want them to target the PS6 in terms of game scope/scale, not the portable and then adding effects on top to justify a PS6 version (IMO I think this is a phenomenon MS are doing already with games like Avowed, hence why they just seem like Series S-scope games running at 4K on the Series X).

Top Bottom