• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation trying to grow market by expanding to PC but console remains core market (PS Co-CEO)

reinking

Gold Member
I don’t think the missing PlayStation games on PC matter to vast majority of people. Games from publishers like Capcom, Namco, Square, Atlus do though. Those are the games that drew a lot of people to PlayStation back in the day, not the Sony first party.
Sure, but then the argument can't be that Sony is going to lose their player base to PC because PlayStation games are going to PC. Right?

Killjoy-NL

Most of the people I know who now exclusively game on PC started out on consoles like Sony, Sega, Nintendo, or Microsoft, and they have no intention of going back. So, to say that the console market will keep growing without losing players is, at least anecdotally, incorrect. ;)
Anecdotally, cool.
We also had people on Gaf who were talking about how they were considering getting a PS5 Pro instead of upgrading their PC, because hardware prices are skyrocketing.
So, win some, lose some.

They will also gain new players that are leaving Xbox, which would logically speaking outweigh those that leave consoles for PC, because both PC and console demographics are different.

Like I said, it doesn't matter to Sony, because as long as they make money, it's good.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sure, but then the argument can't be that Sony is going to lose their player base to PC because PlayStation games are going to PC. Right?

Some of those who stayed with PlayStation for third-party exclusives might have done so because they thought they primarily played those games, but also enjoyed Sony’s first-party titles. Now, they don’t even need the console for that anymore.

OuterLimits

Of course there will still be some players around. Not everyone is going to make pcs.

But if PS6 is $799, one could just make a PC and play everything there. Its certainly a very compelling option.

My guess is only hardcore 15-20 million fans will remain.

15-20 million remaining isn't realistic. Many prefer the console environment over PC. However, there does exist a rather significant number of people who game on PC but also buy consoles for exclusives. Obviously those people would no longer need the console. So Sony would definitely see some decline in their sales. Perhaps in the 10%-20% range is my guess.

reinking

Gold Member
Some of those who stayed with PlayStation for third-party exclusives might have done so because they thought they primarily played those games, but also enjoyed Sony’s first-party titles. Now, they don’t even need the console for that anymore.

Again, sure it could happen, but now the goal posts are moving.

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

Ebrietas

Neo Member
When Apple TV+ rolled out, it was initially exclusive to Apple TV, MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS.

They've since rolled it out to nearly every platform and TV under the sun. Did this devalue Apple TV hardware? Or did Apple realize that the revenue generated from content purchased on Apple TV was less valuable than the subscription revenue from having Apple TV+ on all devices?

Selling peripherals, games, and subscriptions on PC is another avenue that is higher margin than selling these same things on console, because they don't have to take a loss on hardware to do these things. If some people move from console to PC, it probably won't hurt their bottom line.

The increased revenue can then be used to reinvest in the company and do bigger and better things.

A lot of you think about this as fanboys rather than as a business. You think you know more than Sony here and your evidence is look at Microsoft who has trailed Sony in this business category for 20+ years despite having significantly more money.

Sony's strategy is a no-brainer.
Apple TV+ is the platform not the content. It’s analogous to the console.

The content apple makes for atv+ is indeed exclusive and will not appear 12-18 months on rival streaming platforms. It will never leave apple at all.

Fabieter

Anecdotally, cool.
We also had people on Gaf who were talking about how they were considering getting a PS5 Pro instead of upgrading their PC, because hardware prices are skyrocketing.
So, win some, lose some.

They will also gain new players that are leaving Xbox, which would logically speaking outweigh those that leave consoles for PC, because both PC and console demographics are different.

Like I said, it doesn't matter to Sony, because as long as they make money, it's good.

Even with Xbox losing ground, I don't see Sony surpassing their PS4 numbers. With the current direction for future exclusives on the platform, there's no Square Enix to generate hype, and no major PlayStation exclusives to excite people about the PS6. Instead, they’ll likely nickel and dime their remaining fanbase just to maintain some level of stagnation.

And I don't see that even out. I didn't read of anyone actually considering getting a pro over the PC upgrade and it also would be weird since they are on the forward compatible platform.

Anyway that "exodus" won't happen over night. It's a steady process for consoles to lose gamers to pc.

Kacho

Gold Member
I never made that argument. I just believe there’s less reason to own a console now that most games are available on PC.

In 1999 PlayStation was the place for Japanese third party and first party games (like Twisted Metal).

In 2017 it was the place to play some Japanese third party and PlayStation first party.

In 2024 it’s the place to play some Japanese third party and PlayStation first party as timed exclusives.

Fabieter

Again, sure it could happen, but now the goal posts are moving.

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

The people leaving the PlayStation platform are doing so gradually, so we may never know exactly what caused it. However, I’d take ever bet that PlayStation is going to decline in the future. Not as a whole, because they may generate more revenue from cloud, mobile, and PC, but their console side is definitely headed for a decline.

Anecdotally, cool.
So, win some, lose some.

People advocating that people ditch their consoles for PC don’t realise that they’re two distinct markets.

They also seem to forget that PC gaming has been a thing for decades.

Both consoles and PCs have pros and cons, depending on your needs you can choose to ignore pros and cons on both sides.

I don’t know why people here are trying to treat those who prefer consoles as idiots, and I wouldn’t criticise PC players for their decisions either.

As Phil Spencer pointed out, people are now too heavily invested in digital libraries to make abandoning one platform for another an easy choice, why should I abandon my PlayStation library to start from scratch on Steam, and vice versa?

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

When Apple TV+ rolled out, it was initially exclusive to Apple TV, MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS.

They've since rolled it out to nearly every platform and TV under the sun. Did this devalue Apple TV hardware? Or did Apple realize that the revenue generated from content purchased on Apple TV was less valuable than the subscription revenue from having Apple TV+ on all devices?

Selling peripherals, games, and subscriptions on PC is another avenue that is higher margin than selling these same things on console, because they don't have to take a loss on hardware to do these things. If some people move from console to PC, it probably won't hurt their bottom line.

The increased revenue can then be used to reinvest in the company and do bigger and better things.

A lot of you think about this as fanboys rather than as a business. You think you know more than Sony here and your evidence is look at Microsoft who has trailed Sony in this business category for 20+ years despite having significantly more money.

Sony's strategy is a no-brainer.
Apple TV+ is an online video streaming service. Judging by the multi-month freebies Apple’s still frequently offering they’re still desperate for subscribers. Paid apps and iCloud+, exclusive to their own hardware platforms are massively more successful that ATV+.

Sony’s not taking a loss on console hardware for any meaningful length of time any more so that point’s irrelevant and not even true that the much more competitive PC Gaming accessories are higher margin for them. They’re never going to be competitive with Steam as a PC game marketplace.

XXL

People have different opinions. Get well soon.
There are opinions and then there is the truth.

The objective truth is that a system that can sell 120M units, was found enticing by consumers.

Not really sure how this is even debatable regardless of your feelings.

Senua

Doesn't really matter, does it?

Everything they do irt PC is extra, in support of the core of their business, which is Playstation consoles.

They got the console-market on lock and their primary goal is to keep it that way.
But if they want to grow, they need to pro-actively reach out to the PC community, because they won't come to consoles on their own.

As long as they make money off PC, it's good.
And if they can see some growth to their console business, it's a win. If not, nothing was lost.

That's their philosophy, which has been talked about by Layden and Ryan.
As their PC market gets stronger, do they focus more and more on that? We shall see!

I don’t know why people here are trying to treat those who prefer consoles as idiots, and I wouldn’t criticise PC players for their decisions either.
Who's doing that?

Last edited:

Fabieter

People advocating that people ditch their consoles for PC don’t realise that they’re two distinct markets.

They also seem to forget that PC gaming has been a thing for decades.

Both consoles and PCs have pros and cons, depending on your needs you can choose to ignore pros and cons on both sides.

Everyone can enjoy whatever they like, but we're reaching a point where PC is clearly winning the value argument over the course of a console generation by a long shot. Essentially, you're paying more to get less, just for a bit of convenience—which, nowadays, isn't much of a factor with PC gaming.

Killjoy-NL

Even with Xbox losing ground, I don't see Sony surpassing their PS4 numbers. With the current direction for future exclusives on the platform, there's no Square Enix to generate hype, and no major PlayStation exclusives to excite people about the PS6. Instead, they’ll likely nickel and dime their remaining fanbase just to maintain some level of stagnation.
"their remaining fanbase"

You actually make it sound like Sony is dying.
Sony owns 45%-50% of the console market.
A large part of their installbase is still on PS4, so still on Playstation consoles. The main reason is because PS5 is still rather expensive due to inflation. Those people certainly aren't suddenly jumping over to much more expensive PCs.
And I don't see that even out. I didn't read of anyone actually considering getting a pro over the PC upgrade and it also would be weird since they are on the forward compatible platform.
Too much effort to go find specific quotes, but at least there were PC gamers discussing it in one of those threads about those 40XX GPUs being $1000 or whatever.

But anecdotes and sorts are irrelevant anyway.
Anyway that "exodus" won't happen over night. It's a steady process for consoles to lose gamers to pc.
That 'exodus' won't happen in our lifetime, unless Sony decides to end their consoles.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Apple TV+ is the platform not the content. It’s analogous to the console.

The content apple makes for atv+ is indeed exclusive and will not appear 12-18 months on rival streaming platforms. It will never leave apple at all.

The same will be true when Sony puts out their PC Launcher and their own handheld... which is clearly where we're headed. You also fail to realize that they lose out on Apple TV content sales when people would buy digital content from other platforms on there.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Apple TV+ is an online video streaming service. Judging by the multi-month freebies Apple’s still frequently offering they’re still desperate for subscribers. Paid apps and iCloud+, exclusive to their own hardware platforms are massively more successful that ATV+.

Sony’s not taking a loss on console hardware for any meaningful length of time any more so that point’s irrelevant and not even true that the much more competitive PC Gaming accessories are higher margin for them. They’re never going to be competitive with Steam as a PC game marketplace.

They've consistently lost on hardware through out this generation, look at their financial disclosures.

Again, they don't have to be competitive with Steam as a marketplace, they simply need to make more money than they would giving Steam a 20% cut of their own revenue.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The people leaving the PlayStation platform are doing so gradually, so we may never know exactly what caused it. However, I’d take ever bet that PlayStation is going to decline in the future. Not as a whole, because they may generate more revenue from cloud, mobile, and PC, but their console side is definitely headed for a decline.

You've convinced yourself of this despite the fact that PS5 is largely aligned in sales with PS4 despite a pandemic and inflation...

How do you rectify that in line with your conclusions?

If anything PS5 might end up selling significantly more than PS4 due to success in China. It's outpacing the PS4 in every region outside of Europe and the UK was close until a few months ago.

You're so convinced that you're right that you're unwilling to even listen to the facts that show otherwise...

reinking

Gold Member
Maybe? I can't say how much they will or won't decline but people are jumping on this narrative way too early in IMO. None of us have a crystal ball and PlayStation is far from being on their death bed.

reinking

Gold Member
I never made that argument. I just believe there’s less reason to own a console now that most games are available on PC.

In 1999 PlayStation was the place for Japanese third party and first party games (like Twisted Metal).

In 2017 it was the place to play some Japanese third party and PlayStation first party.

In 2024 it’s the place to play some Japanese third party and PlayStation first party as timed exclusives.
I might have misread the last part of your quote I originally replied to. :oops:

That being said, having exclusive PlayStation games is still enticing to me which was the actual point I was making in that reply. Again, SOME, PlayStation exclusives have made their way to PC but not all. I do not see (at least in the next few generations) where Sony has shifted to all moving to PC and especially day one.

Fabieter

"their remaining fanbase"

You actually make it sound like Sony is dying.
Sony owns 45%-50% of the console market.
A large part of their installbase is still on PS4, so still on Playstation consoles. The main reason is because PS5 is still rather expensive due to inflation. Those people certainly aren't suddenly jumping over to much more expensive PCs.

Too much effort to go find specific quotes, but at least there were PC gamers discussing it in one of those threads about those 40XX GPUs being $1000 or whatever.

But anecdotes and sorts are irrelevant anyway.

That 'exodus' won't happen in our lifetime, unless Sony decides to end their consoles.

I hope Sony is taking their position in the gaming industry more seriously than you are. Let’s revisit this conversation in four years when they fall short of PS4 sales, even with less competition from Xbox. 🤣

By the way, there's a significant fanbase that stuck with PlayStation mainly for Japanese games. Do you know which console is now better suited for that fanbase than PlayStation? Here’s a little hint: it’s not Xbox. 😉

Do you know which other platform gets the same amount (or even more) of Japanese games than PlayStation? Here's a little hint: it starts with a "P" and is followed by "C".

So yes, there are alternatives, and asking too much from their loyal customers could really lead to their downfall. At least their console side of things.

There are other big companys who fucked up big time and who have big problems nowadays. So nothing is set in stone.

Kacho

Gold Member
I might have misread the last part of your quote I originally replied to. :oops:

That being said, having exclusive PlayStation games is still enticing to me which was the actual point I was making in that reply. Again, SOME, PlayStation exclusives have made their way to PC but not all. I do not see (at least in the next few generations) where Sony has shifted to all moving to PC and especially day one.
I don’t think PlayStation is at risk of losing people committed to their ecosystem. There’s just fewer reasons to jump in for everyone else.

Killjoy-NL

I hope Sony is taking their position in the gaming industry more seriously than you are. Let’s revisit this conversation in four years when they fall short of PS4 sales, even with less competition from Xbox. 🤣

By the way, there's a significant fanbase that stuck with PlayStation mainly for Japanese games. Do you know which console is now better suited for that fanbase than PlayStation? Here’s a little hint: it’s not Xbox. 😉

Do you know which other platform gets the same amount (or even more) of Japanese games than PlayStation? Here's a little hint: it starts with a "P" and is followed by "C".

So yes, there are alternatives, and asking too much from their loyal customers could really lead to their downfall. At least their console side of things.

There are other big companys who fucked up big time and who have big problems nowadays. So nothing is set in stone.
Console and PC have very different demographics and no matter what games are available on PC, there won't be an exodus from consoles to PC, no matter which console we're talking about. Not for the foreseeable future.

You're truly delusional if you believe what you're claiming.

Fabieter

You've convinced yourself of this despite the fact that PS5 is largely aligned in sales with PS4 despite a pandemic and inflation...

If anything you will excuse the shit out of them when they fall short so it doesn't matter anyway.

But why does it matter to you? Would you switch if they would do day one?

Everyone can enjoy whatever they like, but we're reaching a point where PC is clearly winning the value argument over the course of a console generation by a long shot. Essentially, you're paying more to get less, just for a bit of convenience—which, nowadays, isn't much of a factor with PC gaming.

It may be winning the value argument, but certainly not the convenience one.

PC being an open platform is a pro for some people, for others it’s a con.

PC advocates have never understood this and that goes back to the 90s.

reinking

Gold Member

I am not going to continue too far down these conversations because all of us are basing it on our own bias and assumptions. In this case, you are assuming all PC and console players are equal. I can tell you now, I know people that play JRPGs that will not play them on PC. Period. Could that change? Absolutely, but for now they are console gamers and it does not matter what PC gets.

Personally, I have a budget that I will use for this hobby. It has allowed me to keep a mid-tier PC and all available consoles. That can absolutely change to where I start investing more in PC and leave one or two consoles behind. As matter of fact, I am contemplating for the next generation dropping at least one console (XB right since they do bring all games day one) and replacing it/them with Mini-PC on the TV's. I am not married to any of these companies or platforms. The market has just worked in favor of me doing it this way up to this generation. I am nowhere close to dropping PlayStation though and most likely not Nintendo (unless they continue to have shit quality on the joycon/controller sticks).

Last edited:

Ebrietas

Neo Member
The same will be true when Sony puts out their PC Launcher and their own handheld... which is clearly where we're headed. You also fail to realize that they lose out on Apple TV content sales when people would buy digital content from other platforms on there.
PC gamers have made it very clear that they only want to buy games from steam.

Sony won’t be able to get away with an exclusive PC launcher. Sales would be kneecapped tremendously. If this were realistic ask yourself why MS isn’t doing this already. Their “PC launcher” is built into the OS and they own far bigger content than Sony at this point which gives them even more leverage. Why isn’t every MS game exclusive to windows store? Even they can’t escape Steam. On their own OS.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
PC gamers have made it very clear that they only want to buy games from steam.

Sony won’t be able to get away with an exclusive PC launcher. Sales would be kneecapped tremendously. If this were realistic ask yourself why MS isn’t doing this already. Their “PC launcher” is built into the OS and they own far bigger content than Sony at this point which gives them even more leverage. Why isn’t every MS game exclusive to windows store? Even they can’t escape Steam. On their own OS.
Not even just Microsoft. Activision, Ubisoft, EA all tried and failed, eventually coming back to Steam. The Borderlands EGS exclusivity experiment failed. There’s no way Sony tries doing the same IMO. It’s a fool’s errand.

Fabieter

Console and PC have very different demographics and no matter what games are available on PC, there won't be an exodus from consoles to PC, no matter which console we're talking about. Not for the foreseeable future.

You're truly delusional if you believe what you're claiming.

Alot of xbox peeps got a pc instead of a PlayStation so whatever. If PlayStation isn't at least beating ps4 with basically no xbox than I don't see how they aint further decline next gen when there won't be any exclusives. The totally different demographic argument isn't true when all games you have on consoles are also on pc and it's also set for "higher end gaming".

We can say the switch has a completely different demographic but it's definitely not true for PlayStation and xbox. Let's see how it goes i wish sony good luck. 🤣🤣
It may be winning the value argument, but certainly not the convenience one.

PC being an open platform is a pro for some people, for others it’s a con.

PC advocates have never understood this and that goes back to the 90s.

Yea but its not the 90s anymore to while its still true to some extend that consoles are easier. It's a non factor nowadays really.

I am not going to continue too far down these conversations because all of us are basing it on our own bias and assumptions. In this case, you are assuming all PC and console players are equal. I can tell you now, I know people that play JRPGs that will not play them on PC. Period. Could that change? Absolutely, but for now they are console gamers and it does not matter what PC gets.

Personally, I have a budget that I will use for this hobby. It has allowed me to keep a mid-tier PC and all available consoles. That can absolutely change to where I start investing more in PC and leave one or two consoles behind. As matter of fact, I am contemplating for the next generation dropping at least one console (XB right since they do bring all games day one) and replacing it/them with Mini-PC on the TV's. I am not married to any of these companies or platforms. The market has just worked in favor of me doing it this way up to this generation. I am nowhere close to dropping PlayStation though and most likely not Nintendo (unless they continue to have shit quality on the joycon/controller sticks).

It's interesting that you called out Nintendo for their poor-quality controllers, while Sony’s controller issues are probably just as significant. We're already seeing Steam making big gains in countries like Japan, where PC gaming is growing steadily. Many players there are perfectly fine with lower-spec PCs or even getting a Steam Deck, as long as they can play Japanese games, which typically don’t require a lot of power anyway. If there's a market shift, people will likely blame it on factors like COVID and inflation, so in the end, it might not even matter.
So your response is, that you're wrong right now, but you're sure you'll be right in the future and think that I'll do what you're doing now, so why bother arguing?

Yea the only thing that might help sony getting over ps4 is gravity but its probably the last gta we see for the next 20 years so that also won't matter in the end.

They already slowing down, raising prices across the board so let's see if they can keep the pace. I doubt it. Maybe iam wrong and they are selling better than ps2 🤣🤣 but a arrogant company can kill any success and their last moves wh🫢ere not great.

reinking

Gold Member
It's interesting that you called out Nintendo for their poor-quality controllers, while Sony’s controller issues are probably just as significant.
I am only speaking from my personal experience. We have sent one set of Joy Cons to Nintendo and one Switch-lite for replacement. I have also replaced the Switch-lite analogue sticks again because of the issue and we had to buy another pair of Joy Cons. Out of three Switch consoles, we have gone through four sets of analogue sticks. 🤷‍♂️

Fabieter

I am only speaking from my personal experience. We have sent one set of Joy Cons to Nintendo and one Switch-lite for replacement. I have also replaced the Switch-lite analogue sticks again because of the issue and we had to buy another pair of Joy Cons. Out of three Switch consoles, we have gone through four sets of analogue sticks. 🤷‍♂️

I owned four dualsense and every single one had stick drift. I have two pairs of joy cons and a pro controller and nothing. I know other people have problems with the koy cons so it's not wrong but sonys controller are way too overpriced for their shitty quality.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Not even just Microsoft. Activision, Ubisoft, EA all tried and failed, eventually coming back to Steam. The Borderlands EGS exclusivity experiment failed. There’s no way Sony tries doing the same IMO. It’s a fool’s errand.
I think they're definitely going to try it. I also think Nintendo will insist on it, and they'll succeed. There's just no way the majority of gamers are going to transition to PC, and Steam is going to get 30% of it without any real pushback.

GHG

Gold Member
RTX5060Ti - $400
R5 8400F - $150
8x2 Ram - $40
SSD 1 tb - $50
Mobo AM5 + wifi - $110
PSU - $40

Case - $30
Misc - $50

I am getting these prices where I live.

Can you be specific on the parts in bold please?

I'm intrigued to see what you're able to get for those prices where you live.

Fabieter

it def matters, you give humans too much credit, they're not very smart. They don't want to deal with PC issues, we're talking about the casuals, not people like you and me on forums or hardcore gamers. If they're willing to go to a computer shop every time there's an issue then they have more money than brains. Not sure anyone ever has had a flawless PC for a decade.

The younger generation is growing up on this kinda stuff. Those people watching 10 YouTube videos and building pcs after that.

And it's not the 90s anymore. PC gaming is piss easy with access to the Internet. 🤣🤣

Kacho

Gold Member
There are opinions and then there is the truth.

The objective truth is that a system that can sell 120M units, was found enticing by consumers.

Not really sure how this is even debatable regardless of your feelings.
I’m just being realistic. The PS4 sold 120 million in a completely different market and economy. The Wii U and Xbox One were flops and PlayStation reaped the rewards. Xbox is currently collapsing but Nintendo and PC are stronger than ever.

Whether the PS5 reaches the heights of PS4 remains to be seen, I’m not speculating on that as anything is possible, However I’d wager that the possibility rests solely on the shoulders of GTA6, not Sony first party, which frankly has been lacking.

reinking

Gold Member
I owned four dualsense and every single one had stick drift. I have two pairs of joy cons and a pro controller and nothing. I know other people have problems with the koy cons so it's not wrong but sonys controller are way too overpriced for their shitty quality.
It is time for console makers to step up in this regard.

Top Bottom