• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I tried cheating and maxing out my Bux and Coins, but then the game got all glitchy. (I wasn't very far to begin with and I just wanted to see what would happen). Anyway, the game definitely can tell if you edit you db file somehow, or it at least doesn't like HUGE unrealistic numbers like that.

Long story short, I started a new game in the west coast (was planning on doing this again anyway) to try and help GAFAIR. Point of the story, don't cheat.

Hmm. But various events have ended already - the glasgow and warsaw ones. And more will start before others have finished.

Those events are ongoing. They'll come back around in a cycle and if you've delivered 100 pirates already, you'll keep adding to that until your reach 1,000. Not sure if you actually get anything for reaching 1,000 though.

The world event is different and entirely separate to the other events.

Toki767

Finally expanded to more than just the western part of North America. I opened up New Orleans. And I bought Los Angeles. So many jobs there, but I don't see too many going there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Those events are ongoing. They'll come back around in a cycle and if you've delivered 100 pirates already, you'll keep adding to that until your reach 1,000. Not sure if you actually get anything for reaching 1,000 though.

Oooh...I see. So Calgary is the single 'world event' and there's a rotation of other events? I get it now.

And you need to complete a certain number of events for your crew to get your reward?

no angel

I assumed they were just world events that gave you jobs that are worth more than standard jobs, I didn't think you got anything else out of them.

Oooh...I see. So Calgary is the single 'world event' and there's a rotation of other events?

Yep, and your Warsaw total is yours and yours alone, etc.

I assumed they were just world events that gave you jobs that are worth more than standard jobs, I didn't think you got anything else out of them.

Well you don't get paid more for the event jobs as far as I can tell, so I assume there's some prize at the end unless it's just "hey, you did it, well done." They're a bit like the missions in Tiny Tower and you get Bux for those, but there's at least one person in this thread that will know the answer!

dantehemi

Nooooooooooo!!!! Why why why

I wake up this morning to find my entire game wiped out, I spent so much time with it yesterday, it's such a good game and I love it, but why oh why would anyone release this buggy mess of a game?

Dave is this issue going to be fixed soon? I won't play again till it is, thank goodness I didn't invest any money in to this yet, and I fully expect to invest in this game, support the dev, but come on this is just unacceptable and disappointing.

Tetrasides

Neo Member
It feels like they haven't legitimately gained half of those points. 22,000 points? That's a lot to get in a short period of time. :s

Legit. Buy all airports around Calgary and go nuts. Also, it's a massive forum... so there is a lot of people doing it also.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How do you get new jobs? Does that just randomly happen automatically?

Pandemic

Legit. Buy all airports around Calgary and go nuts. Also, it's a massive forum... so there is a lot of people doing it also.

Mmmm, guess so, but again, it'll be interesting to see them approach the second world-wide mission if their all based around Calgary, heh.

Tattooth

Could someone explain why I would want to do layovers? Sorry if it sounds stupid or obvious, but I have been playing for a day now and haven't had a single layover. Is it more of a late game thing, or am I just being stupid?

Gaaraz

How does this compare to Tiny Tower? Whilst I can see the appeal of that game, personally I found it to be a very mindless timesink, though massively addictive.

In a weird way I'd have compared it almost to a portable World of Warcraft, okay, not in terms of gameplay, or scale, but in the way it draws you in so much that by the end of it, and you finally delete the app and stop playing you think "Thank god that's over". Or at least that was my experience.

Is this going to be more of the same?

Could someone explain why I would want to do layovers? Sorry if it sounds stupid or obvious, but I have been playing for a day now and haven't had a single layover. Is it more of a late game thing, or am I just being stupid?

i'm going to say that once you get more then a few seats per plane the 25% bonus will make fairs huge.

Long distance + 25% x 4 = monies

Tattooth

Photo%2015-06-2012%2012%2046%2050%20PM%20%281%29.png

I think bitbook is now my favourite part of this game.

edit: Finally got it to upload.

Finally expanded to more than just the western part of North America. I opened up New Orleans. And I bought Los Angeles. So many jobs there, but I don't see too many going there.

I noticed the same thing with New York. There seems to be some benefit to deadheading planes to big hubs like that. I guess that's where the layovers come into play. Bring all your planes and packages to one location and then send the planes out from there full of cargo/people to a single destination.

It's brilliantly done. You want to buy some bucks you can ONLY get $40. Such a deal for space bucks!

I wouldn't call it brilliant. I've never bought any currency in a game before, this is the first one I'm tempted to. However since the benefit of getting the $40 bux is so great, it just completely stops me from buying ANY bux.

I bought 200 bux for £2.99 mostly to support the devs, but also to aid me a little bit along the way to buy and upgrade my planes. I used about 35 bux and made 15 back only yesterday.

Nugg

iCloud question!

I played up to level 7 yesterday on my iPad, I unlocked Calgary so I can help a bit. Then this morning I installed the game on my iPhone before going to work, but it's not synching my progress, so I'm a little bummed. Also, now I'm a little scared: how can I be sure it's not going to synch the other way around? I mean, am I going to find my iPad with the zero progress save from my phone tonight?

eznark

Banned
So if we finish in the top ten, the entire crew gets 50 bux? I've been doing a lot of Calgary stuff I thought but man some of you guys must be killing it since I'm only 124.

What's the overall strategy you guys are employing?

Downloaded the game and started playing last night and definitely got sucked in. It is very addicting and lots of fun. It does need a "Quit" button though, as I really didn't want it running all of the time and ten minutes after I shut it down I was getting notifications of events in game, even though I have it set to not alert me.

Imagine you've got airports in Europe, and airports in the US.

It's not realistic to send loads and loads of small planes back and forth across the Atlantic, so you'd drop off all your European passengers that want to go to the US at London, and then take a huge plane of them over the Atlantic all at once. Then when they get there, drop them all off and pick them up on smaller planes to take them where in the US they want to go.

Mmmm, guess so, but again, it'll be interesting to see them approach the second world-wide mission if their all based around Calgary, heh.

I haven't read their Pocket Planes thread but their Tiny Tower thread was full of people hacking and cheating the game, so I really wouldn't be surprised. Still, with a LOT of people I don't see why 20,000 isn't possible, all depends on how many people they've got. Maybe it'd be better if leaderboards were calculated based on the average jobs per person, weighted depending on how many people are in the club so that a one-person club doesn't have a huge "average." Dunno how you'd actually manage that.

Downloaded the game and started playing last night and definitely got sucked in. It is very addicting and lots of fun. It does need a "Quit" button though, as I really didn't want it running all of the time and ten minutes after I shut it down I was getting notifications of events in game, even though I have it set to not alert me.

Yeah, please fix the issue with it still sending notifications even though I have them turned off. Annoying.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can someone better explain layovers? I load a person who wants to go I city A, but instead unload them at city B and then pick them up again and go to city A?

How much does it increase the value of their trip? Does it need to be a different plane or do they have to be unloaded for a certain amount of time, or can you just unload and load again?

Also since when are layovers more expensive than no stops :(

Joined #gafAIR

This is my current topology:

That's a lot of planes! I had a similar set up of airports, I'll suggest Moscow as a decent buy next. Most planes can reach it from Warsaw so everything will be able to get there, and it's pretty far away so the jobs can be valuable. Also, it's red so there's tons of jobs to get. I closed a bunch of the smaller ones, too, since they were basically rubbish at this point.

ponpo; see my post a few posts back.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tempted to buy some bux, but man, they seem way overpriced. Of course the $40 deal is pretty good, but... $40? No way.

I bought $5 worth (200 bux) and I feel pretty good about it. Could I use more? Sure, but I don't NEED more. I've still got 129 and have no real need for more at the moment.

I DO wish, however, that the exchange from bux to coins was a bit more desirable.

mitheor

That's a lot of planes! I had a similar set up of airports, I'll suggest Moscow as a decent buy next. Most planes can reach it from Warsaw so everything will be able to get there, and it's pretty far away so the jobs can be valuable. Also, it's red so there's tons of jobs to get. I closed a bunch of the smaller ones, too, since they were basically rubbish at this point.

ponpo; see my post a few posts back.

Yes, i´m going to buy Moscow as soon as i have the money.

I bought $5 worth (200 bux) and I feel pretty good about it. Could I use more? Sure, but I don't NEED more. I've still got 129 and have no real need for more at the moment.

I DO wish, however, that the exchange from bux to coins was a bit more desirable.

I really only wanted to use them to exchange them for coins, so maybe that's why I didn't feel it was worth it. 120,000 coins for $5 seems expensive.

I think it's so you drop off someone within range somewhere then you can double up with a different plane to get the bonus.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really only wanted to use them to exchange them for coins, so maybe that's why I didn't feel it was worth it. 120,000 coins for $5 seems expensive.

It is expensive - that covers 2 high traffic airports...And that's really it. Not sure if the exchange rate can be adjusted, but I know I would consider it if it was more worth it. Even though it grows with 1 coin per bux you add, it's still a miserably low exchange rate.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Also I'm not sure why I bothered to buy these higher capacity airplanes when all the airports have cruddy jobs. Feel like closing then all down besides Tokyo and Osaka :(

Ah didn't see that, stupid me. Thanks.

Edit: although, this seems to make sense only in scenarios like that. If all your airports are clustered in a small area, is there still a point?

There might be a way to make it work, ie. gathering all your bitizens in one place so you can get combos for taking them to their destination. I think the amount of micro-management that would take probably wouldn't make the gains worth it though.

I can only really see myself using it for trans-Atlantic flights, because presumably the amount of money you'll get will be pretty huge.

7374634210_b584648d42_b.jpg

This is how I envision layovers. I haven't actually done them yet, but I think this is how it works. Basically, you have a mixed bag of people/cargo at the origin airports. You bring all that cargo to one central hub airport. From there you create other flights carrying cargo whose destination is all the same airport. This way you get the 25% bonus for having a plane full of cargo with the same destination. It might cost a big more initially, but the final benefit is definitely worth it on the larger planes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There might be a way to make it work, ie. gathering all your bitizens in one place so you can get combos for taking them to their destination. I think the amount of micro-management that would take probably wouldn't make the gains worth it though.

I can only really see myself using it for trans-Atlantic flights, because presumably the amount of money you'll get will be pretty huge.

Yeah that seems to make the most sense.

Also I need more logic in airport buying. Can't tell whether to buy cheaper airports that are a little further to expand or try to save for all these big cities like Seoul and Beijing that are all close by. Expanding is probably better but hate sitting in an airport without many jobs haha.

Does upgrading an airport increase its popularity a bit ala advertising, or when does it simply upgrade the amount of job slots it can hold?

Yeah that seems to make the most sense.

Also I need more logic in airport buying. Can't tell whether to buy cheaper airports that are a little further to expand or try to save for all these big cities like Seoul and Beijing that are all close by. Expanding is probably better but hate sitting in an airport without many jobs haha.

I'm trying to expand to big cities further away, keeping black dots just as waypoints really to increase my range, and trying not to stop at them. I had a bunch of black dots close together but I was making tons of trips for not much money. Now I'm taking planes between Moscow and Barcelona which takes about half an hour and earns me 1,500 coins a trip, or so, for way less effort. If I can expand south to Lagos, this should be even better 'cause that's red too.

Upgrading an airport increases the number of jobs and layovers.

I think I played Gravity Rush for 2 hours and Pocket Planes for like....uhh....let's just say it's easily in double digits

Ditto and I just bought a Vita two days ago. :lol

Man, it's going to be a bit before I can open flights to and from New York, which is all I want at the moment.

Top Bottom