• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

backlot

I am getting an error here trying to calculate my Lucario. Says the entered speed is too high for its level.

Wait EVs need to be entered manually? How am I supposed to exactly know those?

The only way to know EV's is if you recorded them as your Pokemon gained them. I think that Pokecheck or whatever website will tell you EV's and IV's but I've never actually used it.

Red

The only way to know EV's is if you recorded them as your Pokemon gained them. I think that Pokecheck or whatever website will tell you EV's and IV's but I've never actually used it.

So those calculators are basically useless to people who would need them anyway :p

backlot

So those calculators are basically useless to people who would need them anyway :p

No, they're mostly used for making a competitive team since that's the only time IV's really matter anyway. You usually breed/catch a Pokemon then check it's IV's before you start training it. That way EV's aren't a problem.

It's as accurate as you preprepare :p

Or, if you can connect to GTS, you can use the superior pokecheck.

http://www.pokecheck.org/

Real easy. Basically, in your WiFi settings, you change the DNS on your connection to the one the site gives you. Then, go in game and "deposit" the poke into GTS. Refresh the page, and you should see your poke's complete details (EV, IV, OT, legal check, held item, catch date, ball, region, blah).

Red

It's as accurate as you preprepare :p

Or, if you can connect to GTS, you can use the superior pokecheck.

http://www.pokecheck.org/

Real easy. Basically, in your WiFi settings, you change the DNS on your connection to the one the site gives you. Then, go in game and "deposit" the poke into GTS. Refresh the page, and you should see your poke's complete details (EV, IV, OT, legal check, held item, catch date, ball, region, blah).

Trying this.

O god I hope I don't lose my Lucario I would be fucked

How do you get it back?

It says my Pokemon can't be offered for trade?

Ohhh I get it now.

Hm, a good IV spread for what I am running. Abysmal defenses but at least above average everywhere else. And surprisingly good EVs despite me having no idea how to get what.

So for kicks, I'm gonna organize a Pokemon Tournament using Black/White 2. The main thing I want to know is are you more interested in a singles or double tournament?

Red

Pokecheck has taught me that Lucario is the only non-shit Pokemon I have. Which I pretty much figured out just by playing the game. It's the reason he's 20+ levels ahead of my next most used dude. Everyone else, and I mean very nearly everyone, has terrible IVs across the board or good IVs for exactly the opposite stats I would want.

Hm, except Emboar who I stopped using right when he evolved. 28HP/31Attack. But Lucario still hit harder, faster, for basically the same coverage.

lol I think I have the worst Volcarona in history. Lax, highest IV is 8.

Pokecheck has taught me that Lucario is the only non-shit Pokemon I have. Which I pretty much figured out just by playing the game. It's the reason he's 20+ levels ahead of my next most used dude. Everyone else, and I mean very nearly everyone, has terrible IVs across the board or good IVs for exactly the opposite stats I would want.

Hm, except Emboar who I stopped using right when he evolved. 28HP/31Attack. But Lucario still hit harder, faster, for basically the same coverage.

lol I think I have the worst Volcarona in history. Lax, highest IV is 8.
It's funny how these features are supposed to make the pokemon unique and all, but in the end it makes 90% of them useless or not preferrable. Between having the right nature, IVs, and ability, most of the pokemon I catch I wouldn't really want to train.

Korosenai

So i was doing the magnemite coil thing and just received a shiny magnemite lol.

I dont care if it was hacked or not, pretty pumped though because its my first shiny.

ohlawd

So i was doing the magnemite coil thing and just received a shiny magnemite lol.

I dont care if it was hacked or not, pretty pumped though because its my first shiny.

Yeah? Well I got a Magnemite nicknamed "MichaelBay" and its only move is Explosion. Beat that!

clemenx

Banned
I saw a Shiny Marrill on Pokemon Ruby when I wasn't even serious about Pokemon! That's the only legit Shiny I've ever seen.

I've logged +1000hrs in Gen IV and V and haven't seen a single one in the wild in these games ;/

quabba

It's funny how these features are supposed to make the pokemon unique and all, but in the end it makes 90% of them useless or not preferrable. Between having the right nature, IVs, and ability, most of the pokemon I catch I wouldn't really want to train.

Yeah they want every Pokemon to have different potential and i usually wouldnt care but then if you want to do the battle subway or pwt and they all have perfect stats I feel like I need to breed and ev train to compete.

I bred a couple of eevees and one of them turned out to have really high ivs. It's timid what should I evolve it into?

backlot

Yeah they want every Pokemon to have different potential and i usually wouldnt care but then if you want to do the battle subway or pwt and they all have perfect stats I feel like I need to breed and ev train to compete.

I bred a couple of eevees and one of them turned out to have really high ivs. It's timid what should I evolve it into?

Timid works well for Jolteon and Espeon.

RagnarokX

Trying this.

O god I hope I don't lose my Lucario I would be fucked

How do you get it back?

It says my Pokemon can't be offered for trade?

Ohhh I get it now.

Hm, a good IV spread for what I am running. Abysmal defenses but at least above average everywhere else. And surprisingly good EVs despite me having no idea how to get what.

EV training isn't too difficult. A pokemon defeated in battle gives EVs to every pokemon involved in the battle in its dominant stat, some pokemon give EVs for two stats. To EV train, you just make sure you only defeat pokemon that give EVs for the stat you want EVs for. There are items and a virus that increase the amount of EVs you get from each battle.

Every 4 EVs is worth 1 extra point in that stat at level 100. Pokemon can have a max of 510 EVs and each stat can have a max of 255. So at most you can max 2 stats with 252 EVs, put 4 in another stat, and have 2 useless points left over.

Here's a nice list of locations for easily gaining EVs. Speed is the easiest stat to EV train because basculins give 2 EVs per battle and they are the only thing you encounter while surfing on most routes.

http://nuggetbridge.com/breeding/ev-training-hot-spots-in-black-2-white-2/

The IV calculator is useful when you are building a competitive pokemon so you can choose which one you want to EV train.

They also made it so that the power items (which are used to greatly increase EVs) allow you to breed the IV each power item represents 100%. Power Anklet gives you an additional 4 speed EVs for every battle. Having a pokemon hold it while in the daycare guarantees that its speed IV will be passed down.

Korosenai

Yeah? Well I got a Magnemite nicknamed "MichaelBay" and its only move is Explosion. Beat that!
The only thing that can beat that is a shiny michael bay.

Also, how do iv's work? I completely understand ev's, but ive never understood iv's.

Are iv's worth investing time in?

RagnarokX

Interesting factoid: The chances of getting a 31 in any stat for any random poke is greater than 1 in 6 (17.3%).

It all goes down from there :p

I got lucky while breeding shellders and got 31s in Attack, Speed, and Defense. I managed to breed the Attack and Speed EVs onto a single shellder.

vall03

The only thing that can beat that is a shiny michael bay.

Also, how do iv's work? I completely understand ev's, but ive never understood iv's.

Are iv's worth investing time in?

they're basically random numbers generated for each pokemon stat whenever you see them in wild and when you receive an egg. It can go from 0-31. Well, this is as far as I know, never bothered with them since I can't manipulate them easily unlike EVs or even natures.

Are you saying that random Pokemon have a high chance of having a perfect IV?
Yep :)

Chance of getting a 31 in a given stat: 1/32

Chance of not getting a 31 in a stat: 31/32

Chance of not getting any 31s in any stat: (31/32) to the 6th power

Chance of getting at least one 31 in any given stat: 1 - (chance of getting no 31s at all)

= 1 - ((31/32)^6)

around 17.345%

It's one reason that a method for doing IV passdown through Ditto breeding is just to catch lots and lots of Ditto, since 1/6 of them will have a 31 in some stat.

quabba

That's a good thing, you can use it for breeding better pokemon.
Unless its female... But yeah if it's male you can breed it and the offspring will inherit some of its IVs. Also with the power items (anklet eg) you can force the offspring to inherit certain ivs. Eg hold power anklet all eggs iherit speed iv

backlot

Unless its female... But yeah if it's male you can breed it and the offspring will inherit some of its IVs. Also with the power items (anklet eg) you can force the offspring to inherit certain ivs. Eg hold power anklet all eggs iherit speed iv

Females also pass IV's. The only thing they won't pass is egg moves or TM's.

Firestorm

btw the first Pokemon World Tournament event went live yesterday. You can download it using the computer terminal to the left of the PWT lady. Teams of the Top 4 Junior Division players from the Pokemon World Championships.
To add to this, if you got it when it went live early on Sunday, go again to download the correct version. There was an error that was fixed mid-Monday. You are the owner of a special limited edition of sorts :p

oh, i'm an idiot, i forgot your FC doesn't change if you switch routers, only DS systems. duh! mine should still be the same, then. 3568-9391-5954
I registered you in the pal pad in both games. Did you do the same? I don't see you listed as a game pal. We might have to trade.

backlot

Anybody have speed boost torchic? I really didnt like my team in black 2 and im thinking of starting over

I wish I had a speed boost Torchic. All the cool event Pokemon never leave Japan.

Yeah but I meant if its female all he can use it for is pumping out bidoofs, if its male then it can be used to help breed anything bidoofs compatible with

At least you could use it to breed male bidoofs with a couple perfect IV's.

Korosenai

I just beat a guy with 167 wins and im only 5-13 lol. I was really surprised.

I saved the video too and uploaded it to the battle videos if anyone wants to check it out.

It should be under the newest 30 and my name on there is Cody.

Okay, Team Plasma boss just kicked my ass. TBF, I didn't know what types and abilities his Pokemon had until I tried something that failed. :(

K, got my revenge even if I had to burn a couple Hyper Potions to do it. His
eel's
type coverage gave me so much trouble but luckily Leech Seed landed and I managed to stall it out with switches.

Top Bottom