• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

All this talk about IV/EVs...serious business, it looks more of a hassle than a pleasure to do...it's a shame that almost everyone who plays competitively use it.

I think I'll content myself with capturing as much as mons as I can.

Korosenai

All this talk about IV/EVs...serious business, it looks more of a hassle than a pleasure to do...it's a shame that almost everyone who plays competitively use it.

I think I'll content myself with capturing as much as mons as I can.
Ev training is super easy. The only troublesome part is getting the bp/money for vitamins and power items.

Scrafty linked me this a while ago, and its the best ev guide ive ever used (for black and white): http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/how_to_ev_train/

Kyzer

Banned
the real pain comes from learning the metagame and putting together a team you feel can confidently put up a fight against anything you come across

D-Pad

the real pain comes from learning the metagame and putting together a team you feel can confidently put up a fight against anything you come across

Join Avenue makes this much quicker now. In the same amount of time it took my slow-ass to hatch and EV train one pokemon in BW, I've hatched and EV trained four in B2W2.

Edit - Of course... You said learning. Reading comprehension ftw.

Articalys

Damn, I forgot to turn off C-Gear when I put my 3DS to sleep after doing Dream World stuff, so now my "time played" counter is horribly inaccurate.
...not a huge deal, but it still sucks.

upandaway

GOT IT FINALLY I'm so ready to join you jerks

That said, did they do the "please only use this DS when using this game cart online" again? Because that would screw me over a bit a lot, so I need to know before I start.

MicH

GOT IT FINALLY I'm so ready to join you jerks

That said, did they do the "please only use this DS when using this game cart online" again? Because that would screw me over a bit a lot, so I need to know before I start.
You know they did.

Yes, that's how it works yet again

zroid

Banned
Gah, I've been wrapped up in midterms and other junk, haven't played in more than a week! Need to get back into it.

Wichu

Ugh, guess I'm not starting it this week then :( what the hell.

This game BETTER not run away from my shelf while I sleep or something. I already waited enough for this, man.

You know that you can change which DS the game uses for online, right? If you try going online with a different DS it will just ask you if you want to use that one instead.

upandaway

You know that you can change which DS the game uses for online, right? If you try going online with a different DS it will just ask you if you want to use that one instead.
Yeah I know, it's just a pain in the butt with the router and I'd much rather skip the ordeal.

I might break down in the weekend and just deal with it, I guess.

ffdgh

....all my dream radar genies freaking suck nature and IV wise. -_-

But on a positive note, My four dojos from black 1/2 and white 1/2 in join avenue are nearly complete.

Ev training is super easy. The only troublesome part is getting the bp/money for vitamins and power items.

Scrafty linked me this a while ago, and its the best ev guide ive ever used (for black and white): http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/how_to_ev_train/

Thank you, it's much clearer now. I'll do this in post-game, but is there a way to keep the pokérus ? Like I get an infected pokémon from someone, it contaminates my other pokémon in my team, I give a pokémon from my team to him or to someone else, and we make some kind a circle of trades...would it work ?

backlot

Thank you, it's much clearer now. I'll do this in post-game, but is there a way to keep the pokérus ? Like I get an infected pokémon from someone, it contaminates my other pokémon in my team, I give a pokémon from my team to him or to someone else, and we make some kind a circle of trades...would it work ?

If you get a Pokemon that is infected with Pokerus you can keep him contagious if you store it in your PC. Just use that Pokemon to infect whatever you want to train then put it back in the PC so it never loses Pokerus.

Red

Is there any non-uber/banned combo that actually counters everything though? I am not invested in the metagame (I've read a bit of stuff on smogon, but never played with IVs, EVs, any of that), but from what I understand each tier kind of centers around a handful of heavily used Pokemon, and most teams are built to counter those (ie Tyranitar, Garchomp in OU). I am probably wrong but that's what it seems like to an outsider looking in :p

Man, I wish the Battle Recorder thing would work outside the Battle facilities. Just barely scraped by against the Champion. I kinda cheesed it with 4 Max Revives but my team was 3-4 levels below the champ's and I was completely unprepared knowledge-wise going into the fight. I lost like 3 Pokemon before downing the champ's lead Pokemon and ended up spamming Max Revives near the end to keep myself with at least two conscious Pokemon.

I was so afraid that
Haxorus was going to hax
my Bulk Up Gurdurr with a critical hit. Then I had to sweat out
Acrobatics Archeops
to close out the fight because Hammer Arm missed.

Initial HoF time: 33:14

497.png
533.png
528.png
553.png
55.png
462.png

Is there any non-uber/banned combo that actually counters everything though? I am not invested in the metagame (I've read a bit of stuff on smogon, but never played with IVs, EVs, any of that), but from what I understand each tier kind of centers around a handful of heavily used Pokemon, and most teams are built to counter those (ie Tyranitar, Garchomp in OU). I am probably wrong but that's what it seems like to an outsider looking in :p

There are some tricks which, used wisely, can one-shot most of the pokémon. However when you know them you can counter them pretty easily. Example : http://www.wikihow.com/Win-Any-Pokemon-Battle-With-a-Level-1-Rattata

btw the first Pokemon World Tournament event went live yesterday. You can download it using the computer terminal to the left of the PWT lady. Teams of the Top 4 Junior Division players from the Pokemon World Championships.
Has anybody tried playing through this yet? I'm wondering if the AI is capable of utilizing well made doubles team effectively. Probably not.

Wichu

Can't you use aron/phanpy to counter a number of those issues? Still not perfect of course, but a little better.

Only Sandstorm, and in the case of Aron, Toxic Spikes. Aron doesn't learn any priority moves to land the finishing blow anyway, so you have to rely on your own Sandstorm/Toxic Spikes damage (which in turn is foiled by opponents' Pokémon that resist them). The thing is, enough people use Ghost-types for the strategy to be a complete deadweight most of the time. And unless you use it as a lead, you can expect Stealth Rock to be on the field at least, again making Focus Sash/Sturdy useless.

Bumhead

Banned
Really enjoying this game.

Around 15 hours in and just on Route 4. Glad they got Castelia City out of the way relatively early this time around. It's quite a boring location in my opinion and quite relieved to be "back on the road" so to speak.

Current team is:

Spr_5b_240.png
Magby Level 24
Spr_5b_448.png
Lucario Level 23
Spr_5b_502.png
Dewott Level 21
Spr_5b2_025_f_s.png
Pikachu Level 21
Spr_5b2_641T.png
Tornadus Level 18

Trey

The little "pick your favorite pokemon" thing from the community thread is shaming me. I know WAY too many pokemon by name.

Also, none of ya'll would happen to have a sheer force, Modest Nidoran(m), would ya'll?

Firestorm

Aron @ Berry Juice is somewhat usable in doubles play.
Has anybody tried playing through this yet? I'm wondering if the AI is capable of utilizing well made doubles team effectively. Probably not.
I played the screwed up version where they gave Brendan's character the Japanese 5th place girl's team. Played through it twice so I could fight both Kippei and Brendan. Was very easy but I was using my competitive VG Modified team. I hear that Brendan's fixed team is harder to beat as it's easier for a CPU to use. Haven't tried it.

Once my in-ga,e Pokemon are LV50 I might try with them although I'm sure I'll lose horribly =P

Boogiepop

Okay, yeah. I'm definitely done with the %5 chance grass/surfing/fishing spots. Waaaaaay too much of a pain to bother with. Time to just start evolving/trading in instead.

MikeMyers

Two question:

1.) Where can I get the leftovers in this game? I have one, but I heard I can get another?

2.) When can I get
Sheer Force Bagon
already? I've searched for it like every day and it doesnt come up

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Two question:

1.) Where can I get the leftovers in this game? I have one, but I heard I can get another?

2.) When can I get
Sheer Force Bagon

To answer the second question, it's in the hidden grotto in the outer-area of the Pinwheel Forest.

D-Pad

Let's talk about how shitty connecting over wi-fi is even now, in the second iteration of gen v. Couldn't even pwn a friend because we couldn't connect. I was going to deal HURT but in the end, it was I who was hurt by GF's refusal to FIX THEIR SHIT! Like SERIOUSLY, I can't even have my victory before bed? I was so amped to add another win-count to my trainer's card. So disappointed. Thanks, Game Freak.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Two question:

2.) When can I get
Sheer Force Bagon

High level (81, or over) Pickup Pokemon will grab it 1% of the time.

Korosenai

Two question:

2.) When can I get
Sheer Force Bagon
Play battle subway, pwt, or random matchups online to get bp for the leftovers.

MikeMyers

Can I trade a Pokemon from White 1 holding the Leftovers item to get it?

AND WHY DOES EVERY SANDILE I CATCH HAVE TO BE AT MODEST NATURE FUCK YOU GAME.

Let's talk about how shitty connecting over wi-fi is even now, in the second iteration of gen v. Couldn't even pwn a friend because we couldn't connect. I was going to deal HURT but in the end, it was I who was hurt by GF's refusal to FIX THEIR SHIT! Like SERIOUSLY, I can't even have my victory before bed? I was so amped to add another win-count to my trainer's card. So disappointed. Thanks, Game Freak.

I hadn't noticed, usually cause when wi-fi drops it's on my end. But while we're on the subject of wi-fi, why is it that they continue to allow people to request literally impossible pokemon parameters in GTS (e.g.. Zekrom lv. 9 or under) and why is it so universal? So many people do this, you'd think it was set up by 4chan. If you want to show off your pokemon, battle with it, but don't clog up GTS with it.

GTS Negotiations is little better. Every other trader tries to shove hacked pokemon at you, and they don't even provide a semblance of reality. Oh sure, I'd LOVE to trade you for your level 1 shiny Blaziken caught with a master ball!

I hadn't noticed, usually cause when wi-fi drops it's on my end. But while we're on the subject of wi-fi, why is it that they continue to allow people to request literally impossible pokemon parameters in GTS (e.g.. Zekrom lv. 9 or under) and why is it so universal? So many people do this, you'd think it was set up by 4chan. If you want to show off your pokemon, battle with it, but don't clog up GTS with it.
Back in D/P, I'd do that when duplicating stuff with the GTS but I think they fixed it from Platinum onwards.

On that note, are there duplication glitches in Gen 5? Something that doesn't mess with the legality of the Pokemon, of course.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Can I trade a Pokemon from White 1 holding the Leftovers item to get it?

AND WHY DOES EVERY SANDILE I CATCH HAVE TO BE AT MODEST NATURE FUCK YOU GAME.

Is your lead pokemon modest with the ability Synchronize?

Has anyone else had this problem?

When I close my 3DS with Pokemon White 2 still running, it's like it doesn't go to sleep.

The battery hits the red after not playing all day and right now it says my play time is 268:47. Trust me, it's nowhere near that.

I've only had this problem with this game so far, but it's also been the only game I've been playing since it came out. I don't know if it's an issue with my game or my system. Has anyone else had this happen?

do you leave c-gear on? If yes turn it off if you're not using it.

You know, that's probably it. Does it not really go into sleep mode when your C-Gear is on? That's different from 3DS functions like streetpass and the like where it actually is in sleep mode and can receive data?

Top Bottom