• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

naw you can lower EVs.

The EV reducing berries:
Pomeg (HP)
Kelpsy (Atk)
Qualot (Def)
Hondew (SpAtk)
Grepa (SpDef)
Tamato (Speed)

reduce your EVs to 100 if it's over 100 and by 10 if it's less than 10.

For example, if my Mewtwo has 252 SpAtk EVs, giving it a Hondew Berry will reduce its SpAtk down to 100. If I have a Skarmory with 70 Def EVs, giving it a Qualot Berry will reduce its Def EV to 60.

Then there are the Salon shops in Join Avenue. lvl 1 services will reduce a particular EV by 50, lvl 2 by 100 and lvl 3 services will get rid of all EVs in a particular stat.

Oh, let's say in theory I have no idea how many EVs my guy has...

The maximum amount of berries I need to give him is 11 to ensure he's back at 0 EVs for said stat?

(My Togepi from level 1 has been power leveled from EXP share at the Elite 4 and is now a lvl 61 Togekiss)

Wichu

I think the 'reduce to 100 if over 100' is only in 4th gen. You might need up to 26 of each berry.

Alternatively, level up your Join Avenue and get some of the people there to lower EVs for you.

I think the 'reduce to 100 if over 100' is only in 4th gen. You might need up to 26 of each berry.

Alternatively, level up your Join Avenue and get some of the people there to lower EVs for you.

Which people in Join Avenue would lower EVs for me?

EDIT: Nevermind... I got it.

So one last question lol...

Post level 100 I can always just Reduce all my EVs for each pokemon I have (As long as that might take) and train them correctly? It's not like its too late once I hit 100 right?

Korosenai

I have one question about ev's myself.

Let's say i'm ev training a Staryu, and I want Starmie to have Hydro Pump.

If I keep my Staryu until level 52, give it hydro pump and then evolve it, will it's ev's be any different than if I would have evolved it to Starmie at lv. 1?

ohlawd

Oh, let's say in theory I have no idea how many EVs my guy has...

The maximum amount of berries I need to give him is 11 to ensure he's back at 0 EVs for said stat?

Scratch that, this dude is right

If you use Pokecheck (a site where you "upload" your Pokemon via GTS), it'll say the exact amount of EVs it has. It also checks IVs among other things.

If I keep my Staryu until level 52, give it hydro pump and then evolve it, will it's ev's be any different than if I would have evolved it to Starmie at lv. 1?

Nope, its EVs will remain what they were even when it evolves.

XeroSauce

I have one question about ev's myself.

Let's say i'm ev training a Staryu, and I want Starmie to have Hydro Pump.

EVs and IVs stay constant throughout evolution.

Korosenai

Nope, its EVs will remain what they were even when it evolves.
So let's say I take a Staryu (ev trained in speed and special attack) and either

A) Evolve it to a Starmie at lv. 1 and then ev train the Starmie.

or

B) EV train a Staryu and then evolve it to a Starmie at lv. 52.

By the time Staryu A and Staryu B are level 100, would their stats (stats as in special attack, speed) look about the same or would they be different? Or would one have a speed stat of 300 and the other a little higher or lower (hypothetically)?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So let's say I take a Staryu (ev trained in speed and special attack) and either

A) Evolve it to a Starmie at lv. 1 and then ev train the Starmie.

or

B) EV train a Staryu and then evolve it to a Starmie at lv. 51.

By the time Staryu A and Staryu B are level 100, would their stats look look about the same or would they be different?

It doesn't matter when you evolve the Pokemon. The reason you would delay evolution is to obtain a level up move that only the pre-evolution would learn. For EV purposes, it doesn't matter.

Korosenai

It doesn't matter when you evo lve the Pokemon. The reason you would delay evolution is to obtain a level up move that only the pre-evolution would learn.

So in the end no matter which path I take, both Starmie's (A or B) at level 100 would have the same stats?

Anth0ny

Yea, but otherwise there'd be no story progression.

There was plenty of story progression in the previous Pokemon games. I don't need to hear about my rival crying about his sister's Pokemon EVERY ROUTE. I'm six badges in and he's appeared probably 10x more than Blue did in the entire original game.

Don't get me started on Bianca. I think you could take her out of the game and nothing of value is lost. She hasn't said anything of importance. The novelty of her being one of the characters from the last game wears off after she gives you your starter Pokemon.

Options -> set text speed to fast.

I do this for every Pokemon game. Black 2 is no exception.

JulianImp

Psh, try catching one in Ruby or Sapphire. Then you will know hell.

Oh god, don't get me started on that. I wonder who decided it'd be alright to have Feebass appear in only a handful of randomly selected tiles of water that changed every day and were on a single route. The whole beauty evolution thing was also horrible, requiring special berries to ensure you'd max out its beauty before you were no longer able to feed it pokéblocks.

The only thing I find funny is how Feebass can actually learn TMs and HMs without evolving, unlike Magikarp.

Regarding EV training, and unless they changed things around in BW2, I remember the only way there was to get the EV-enhancing items (power lens, bracer, etc.) was to grind the Challenge Tower for BP until I had enough for to buy one of each. It was a horrible grind, where I'd just play up until beating the tower tycoon the first time before forefeiting in order to avoid having to battle ridiculously overpowered pokémon for the same amount of BP I'd get from the earlier rounds.

RagnarokX

Oh god, don't get me started on that. I wonder who decided it'd be alright to have Feebass appear in only a handful of randomly selected tiles of water that changed every day and were on a single route. The whole beauty evolution thing was also horrible, requiring special berries to ensure you'd max out its beauty before you were no longer able to feed it pokéblocks.

The only thing I find funny is how Feebass can actually learn TMs and HMs without evolving, unlike Magikarp.

Regarding EV training, and unless they changed things around in BW2, I remember the only way there was to get the EV-enhancing items (power lens, bracer, etc.) was to grind the Challenge Tower for BP until I had enough for to buy one of each. It was a horrible grind, where I'd just play up until beating the tower tycoon the first time before forefeiting in order to avoid having to battle ridiculously overpowered pokémon for the same amount of BP I'd get from the earlier rounds.

Getting its beauty up was easy. There was one berry that gave a huge boost to that stat. I planted one of them and it gave me like 20 from one bush. Way more than enough.

upandaway

So.. this is a bit surprising. I finally died near the end of Charge cave, after running out of my 5 revives (+1 I found). And yeah I got the doctor in the cave. And that's not all! I died twice to Elesa, too, and once to a random Double Team Emolga though I don't count that one. Up until Elesa I only had 2 Pokemon, and now I only have 3 while the 3rd still has no useful attack. But I've done plenty of these types of playthroughs before and never had a problem.

The only thing that changed would be.. the new EXP system? Admittedly, even though I only had 2 Pokemon to train so far, I'm underleveled for my area. That's pretty weird.

I'm pretty sure if this was the challenge run, I'd be forced to grind right now. I don't even know what's going on.

edit: i totally forgot it changes to autumn today, kinda freaked me out

vall03

Few questions here, I barely played Dream World last year, but right now I want a Solar Power Charmander. How long will it take? is it random or is it an event on Dream World? can you even breed Dream World abilities?

Red

What are the best dream world Pokemon? I'm hoping to find a Magikarp so I can have a Gyarados with Bounce, but outside of that I have no idea. Eevee/Espeon? Vulpix/Ninetails? Anything else noteworthy?

I am thinking about rolling a Truant Durant for PWT and having it learn Entrainment.

What are the best dream world Pokemon? I'm hoping to find a Magikarp so I can have a Gyarados with Bounce, but outside of that I have no idea. Eevee/Espeon? Vulpix/Ninetails? Anything else noteworthy?

I am thinking about rolling a Truant Durant for PWT and having it learn Entrainment.
The ones I've noted are Alakazam, Blaziken, Breloom, Dragonite, Gliscor, Heracross, Sableye, Salamence. Probably a bunch more I'm missing.

RagnarokX

Heracross gets moxie in dreamworld, which works well with its crazy ability to sweep.

Politoed gets drizzle, which automatically sets up rain, but according to smogon rules you aren't allowed to use this in conjunction with a swift swim team cuz that breaks the game.

Ninetails gets drought, which sets up strong sunlight.

Ditto gets imposter, which turns it into one of the deadliest revenge killers in the game.

Gyarados gets moxie as well, but most of the time you're want intimidate so that you don't have to worry as much about attacks coming in.

Red

Oh yeah, I want an impostor Ditto bad.

I really like Moxie on my Krookodile. He's kind of a glass cannon, and I would be okay with a Gyarados who is similar. High risk, very high reward.

Don't care too much about smogon rules since I rarely play against other humans. This would mainly be for in-game battle competitions and PWT. I'll have to keep an eye on that Politoed combo.

backlot

I have an Imposter Ditto. It can be difficult to make use of it sometimes but when it works it's really fun.

Chlorophyll Venusaur also seems pretty cool. I really wish they'd release it outside of Japan.

Red

I have an Imposter Ditto. It can be difficult to make use of it sometimes but when it works it's really fun.

Chlorophyll Venusaur also seems pretty cool. I really wish they'd release it outside of Japan.

Has there been a single DW Starter released outside Japan?

Ugh. The past two days, I've been getting a lot of Join Avenue visitors who go to multiple shops. Now that I'm leaving a couple of shops ~50 points from ranking up, nobody is recommending my visitors to adjacent stores. Back to coiling...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yay I got my first N pokeymon (Scraggy).

Zorua is the only N pokemon given to you rather than finding it in the wild right?

Red

Ugh. The past two days, I've been getting a lot of Join Avenue visitors who go to multiple shops. Now that I'm leaving a couple of shops ~50 points from ranking up, nobody is recommending my visitors to adjacent stores. Back to coiling...

I've been trying to do that Magnemite coil thing but most of the time I get an error saying the Pokemon has already been traded, and the whole interface is so clunky and slow to update that it doesn't seem any faster coiling than it would trading normally. Why can't I immediately search for the same Pokemon twice in a row, even when my first attempt at a trade was unsuccessful? Why am I required to search for a new Pokemon before I can search for Magnemite again? Why do I have to leave the GTS completely and return to be able to get new search results?

ffdgh

...Uhh you don't have to switch from magnemite. Just change the level search range.

and instead of any region use USA

Red

Hit deposit
pick magnemite
M -> magnemite -> any -> confirm
wait several seconds
select summary
get magnemite
repeat

Is it really that quick for you? I had a Magnemite up almost all day and no one took it, and I only had two successful trades. I ended up taking back my deposited Magnemite and put up a Metang for a Pansear (which went through in minutes).

RagnarokX

Is it really that quick for you? I had a Magnemite up almost all day and no one took it, and I only had two successful trades. I ended up taking back my deposited Magnemite and put up a Metang for a Pansear (which went through in minutes).

I just now put one up, waited 30 seconds, hit summary, and got a magnemite back. I did it several times last night and leveled up a bunch of shops and the whole avenue. I got one guy who ended up visiting every store but 1. Every time he went to another store, the next store gained 25 more popularity points than the previous. The last store got 275 points.

I just now put one up, waited 30 seconds, hit summary, and got a magnemite back. I did it several times last night and leveled up a bunch of shops and the whole avenue. I got one guy who ended up visiting every store but 1. Every time he went to another store, the next store gained 25 more popularity points than the previous. The last store got 275 points.

I've had exactly one of those, but he capped out at 350 points (100+50+50+...). I need to start doing it again.

I like to switch countries to refresh the magnemite list. I usually switch between USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Japan and Australia. Sometimes I like to try the more lesser known countries as well. Got lucky once by trading for a magnemite from Vietnam.

It also depends on what time you log in as well. I notice a huge difference when I log in at midnight (my local time) for example then if I log in during the day. I'm in GMT +8 though so adjust accordingly to your own timezone.

btw, a question to those who might know more about the seasons in the game: when does it switch from summer to autumn? I thought it would switch to autumn seeing as it's already November 1 but it's still saying it's summer.

Gravijah

I like to switch countries to refresh the magnemite list. I usually switch between USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Japan and Australia. Sometimes I like to try the more lesser known countries as well. Got lucky once by trading for a magnemite from Vietnam.

that's what i used to do. these days i just use the Dream World.

backlot

It also depends on what time you log in as well. I notice a huge difference when I log in at midnight (my local time) for example then if I log in during the day. I'm in GMT +8 though so adjust accordingly to your own timezone.

btw, a question to those who might know more about the seasons in the game: when does it switch from summer to autumn? I thought it would switch to autumn seeing as it's already November 1 but it's still saying it's summer.

It should change monthly. In B/W1 I sometimes had glitches where I had saved in a building and the season didn't change until I walked outside.

Sheesh. Nvm, it just rolled over into Nov 2 here and when I entered a new area it changed seasons. Yay!

that's what i used to do. these days i just use the Dream World.
I like doing both for maximum Join Avenue guests!

Korosenai

Today in my programming class im gonna try and create an ev calculator using c++.

Im sure there are already some on the internet, but im bored and feel like doing it anyways. Hopefully it turns out good.

Could I ask you guys if my EV spread is good?

Ditto @ W/E nature
252 HP

Togekiss @ Bold
252 SP.ATK
252 SPEED
6 HP

Shuckle @ Calm
252 HP
252 SP.DEF
6 DEF

Wobbuffet @ Careful
252 SP.DEF
252 DEF
6 HP

Whimsicott @ Gentle
252 SP.DEF
252 HP
6 SPEED

Jellicent @ Bold
252 HP
252 SP.DEF
6 SP.ATK

My shuckle I know does not need DEF. He has power split. My Whimsicott doesn't DEF as well I'm pretty sure, he has cotton guard.

Frost_Ace

Are you breeding those pokemon from scratch or those are the ones you captured in your journey? Because some of the natures seems a bit off...togekiss should be modest or timid, and whimsicott timid or jolly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm probably gonna pick this up today after work since I probably won't have power for another few days and I figure a pokemans will be an excellent time killer on these cold, dark nights.

Leaning towards black because i can get my own Gabites for Garchompy goodness, and as far as I'm aware none of the White version exclusives seem very cool.

Are you breeding those pokemon from scratch or those are the ones you captured in your journey? Because some of the natures seems a bit off...togekiss should be modest or timid, and whimsicott timid or jolly.

I got lazy... Whimsicott's nature is fine isn't it? Togekiss's nature I also got lazy. It was a pain in the ass enough as it was trying to catch him in Diamond. As soon as I saw Bold/Serene Grace I thought "K. Done.".

Gentle?

Ditto's IVs matter for Hidden Power, by the way.

Hidden Power?

SoulUnison

Banned
Hit deposit
pick magnemite
M -> magnemite -> any -> confirm
wait several seconds
select summary
get magnemite
repeat

Wait, you mean you DON'T have to completely disconnect, return to the Pokemon Center, save again, reconnect to GTS, etc., to make a GTS trade? You can just wait a while and hit summary?

EDIT: Wow, yeah, I've been doing this the hard way for the last 4 games.

Top Bottom