• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Excuse my ignorance, but why would I put Thunderbolt on a Starmie? Especially for E4/Iris?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well, if you don't want Thunderbolt, as I said, some people say Recover is the better option. Me? I'd go for Thunderbolt, just in case Virizion doesn't cut it.

Well I've also got Cobalion, another fighting type.

I could see Thunderbolt making sense in a competitive meta-game to take out other water types.

ohlawd

Well I've also got Cobalion, another fighting type.

I could see Thunderbolt making sense in a competitive meta-game to take out other water types.

Yeah I was thinking about the metagame when I made that post. I forgot about the original subject.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alright, someone spoil me: I'm still in the summer of Castelia Sewers. I defeated the Doctor trainer. I went over to the far left room that I could get to without surf or winter blocking it. Nothing in there? The trash can is empty and nobody else is in there. No hidden items or anything?

What does the door that is next to the doctor lead to? The storyline continuing? I'm trying to level up the last Pokemon I have (in the 10's) to at least 15. If that is enough for Pidove and Magby to take on the Gym?

upandaway

Terrakion put somewhat of a fight.. 1 force palm (yellow, no status) + 18 dusk balls. I won this right? Did anyone get him in fewer balls?

I'll never get used to just strolling along and seeing a freaking legendary just sit there in the middle of progress. I don't know, that just feels wrong.

Are we allowed to request pokemon trades in this thread?
There's a trade thread, but there's a higher chance of finding someone here if you post here

Alright, someone spoil me: I'm still in the summer of Castelia Sewers. I defeated the Doctor trainer. I went over to the far left room that I could get to without surf or winter blocking it. Nothing in there? The trash can is empty and nobody else is in there. No hidden items or anything?

What does the door that is next to the doctor lead to? The storyline continuing? I'm trying to level up the last Pokemon I have (in the 10's) to at least 15. If that is enough for Pidove and Magby to take on the Gym?
The sewers are a dead end yeah. Dunno about the levels.. but you probably went to the gym by now.

west

Terrakion put somewhat of a fight.. 1 force palm (yellow, no status) + 18 dusk balls. I won this right? Did anyone get him in fewer balls?

First try, 3 balls and no statuses ... ( 1 ultra, 2 dawn ). Pretty lucky. Still, I got Coballion with one ultra ball. First try as well.

I'm still looking for a pokérus infected pokémon :)

Got my 8th badge...and still have a handful of towns I haven't visited yet...this game is loooong :D

I recently had this mindblowing moment recently (it's kind of ridiculous and obvious though) :
Why the hell the Gym Leaders at the beginning of each game are so weak and have so few pokémon ? It's especially egregious in G/S/C where you go back to Kanto, BW where the gym leaders come to help you against the Team Plasma at the end or BW2 where you first fight Tcheren who has shitty pokémon at first but then is fighting Team Plasma with you...and then it occured to me : they're basically teachers/examiners. They ARE better than you but just like teachers they will test you accordingly to your level. They'll look how many badges you have and then regulate the difficulty of their test for you. So the more badges you have, the more advanced you are, so the more difficult the fights will be :)

upandaway

I'm still looking for a pokérus infected pokémon :)

Got my 8th badge...and still have a handful of towns I haven't visited yet...this game is loooong :D

I recently had this mindblowing moment recently (it's kind of ridiculous and obvious though) :
Why the hell the Gym Leaders at the beginning of each game are so weak and have so few pokémon ? It's especially egregious in G/S/C where you go back to Kanto, BW where the gym leaders come to help you against the Team Plasma at the end or BW2 where you first fight Tcheren who has shitty pokémon at first but then is fighting Team Plasma with you...and then it occured to me : they're basically teachers/examiners. They ARE better than you but just like teachers they will test you accordingly to your level. They'll look how many badges you have and then regulate the difficulty of their test for you. So the more badges you have, the more advanced you are, so the more difficult the fights will be :)
Yep, it was implied strongly in BW and this time they just flat out said it when Cheren says after the gym battle, something along the lines of "it's harder to fight without my real partners"

But I'd like to think that when they use weaker Pokemon, they don't lower their own abilities to match, so you're just beating them fairly.

I think my shiny Gigalith still has Pokerus in White.. but I won't have my cart for a while and I'll have to infect someone.. so it'll take me a few days.

Mr. Sam

Regarding Hidden Grottos, is what I find in there initially - and what I find in there once it's regenerated - totally random? Like, I know that some grottos have exclusive pokemon, but if I find a repel in there once it doesn't mean I won't find a Medicham in there the next time, right?

Wichu

Regarding Hidden Grottos, is what I find in there initially - and what I find in there once it's regenerated - totally random? Like, I know that some grottos have exclusive pokemon, but if I find a repel in there once it doesn't mean I won't find a Medicham in there the next time, right?

Yep, totally random. Well, each grotto has a list of things that it can contain (for example, Nidoran is found only in the Route 2 grotto), but whenever it's generated it picks one randomly from its list.

MicH

Holy shit, I just saw a WAILORD in the Marine Tube! ... and then I got a Medal for seeing that, lol. Love them medals.

Hey guys, sorry haven't been keeping track of this thread at all. What's the overall consensus on this game? Is it different enough to Black & White 1 to warrant a purchase?

Do you already have BW1?

I already have Black and have logged only around 10-15hours. It didn't catch my attention as much as previous versions have, can't put my finger on it really. Going to get a 3DS XL at some point when a decent deal comes about and thought it'd be nice to get White 2 if it was a decent upgrade over Black 1.

Esura

Banned
So is it worth keeping the Dream Reader Pokemons? So far I got three Munnas, a Sigisilk, a Riolu, and a Swablu.

Should I keep these and make a team out of them? I've yet to actually start Black 2 yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So is it worth keeping the Dream Reader Pokemons? So far I got three Munnas, a Sigisilk, a Riolu, and a Swablu.

Should I keep these and make a team out of them? I've yet to actually start Black 2 yet.

They're all usable Pokemon. Their abilities from Dream Radar is what makes them unique. Use them if you like them but don't feel the need to just because.

Esura

Banned
They're all usable Pokemon. Their abilities from Dream Radar is what makes them unique. Use them if you like them but don't feel the need to just because.

Oh, no I actually want to use Riolu and Swablu because Riolu evolves into the badass Lucario I think and Swablu turns into a dragon. So I got like two rare Pokemons before I start lol. I was just hoping they weren't ass or anything.

My team of badass Pokemon will grow. :D

I already have Black and have logged only around 10-15hours. It didn't catch my attention as much as previous versions have, can't put my finger on it really. Going to get a 3DS XL at some point when a decent deal comes about and thought it'd be nice to get White 2 if it was a decent upgrade over Black 1.

If you want White 2, it would be great, but if you want Memory Link consistency (not important imo), get matching colours.

upandaway

Argh no one told me the clock keeps ticking with C-Gear on (when the lid is closed) even on a DSi XL! I thought it was 3DS only..

Is there a fix to that in the system preferences or anything? This kinda sucks.

If you want White 2, it would be great, but if you want Memory Link consistency (not important imo), get matching colours.
What does that mean? I don't have matching colors :(

@davidsaurus, hard to say really if we don't know what you didn't like in the first one. In terms of the first ~20 hours of single player, BW2 aren't spectacularly blowing BW out of the milky way, in a way that you'll like it if you didn't like the originals (or, well, the rest of the franchise, though you did say you liked previous ones)

stn

A few questions...

1. If I only have one DS, is there any way to transfer my pokes from Platinum into White/Black 2? I would only be interested in White 2 if I could eventually bring my team over.

2. Regarding the 3DS, is the XL version the same thing but just bigger?

Thanks!

Wichu

A few questions...

1. If I only have one DS, is there any way to transfer my pokes from Platinum into White/Black 2? I would only be interested in White 2 if I could eventually bring my team over.

2. Regarding the 3DS, is the XL version the same thing but just bigger?

Thanks!
1. You'll need to borrow a second DS unfortunately. You could use one of the third party GTS sites such as PokeGTS to upload them, convert them to 5th gen format, and download them to White 2 if you're desperate (and have Wi-Fi access). Or find a willing helper to trade your Pokémon to, have them perform the transfer, and trade them back.

2. Pretty much. The XL is (in my opinion at least) better than the original, and well worth the extra cost. It's more comfortable to hold and has slightly better battery life.

If you get a 3DS, you'll be able to use that and an original DS model to transfer from 4th to 5th gen.

Sigilyph is very usable indeed. Tinted Lens is a damned good ability.

MicH

So I'm playing in Challenge Mode on my White 2 Version (currently just beat Plasma after the 8th badge) and I don't have any difficulty what so ever. As the gym leaders and the trainers have higher leveled Pokémon, mine grow to that level. The only time I've blacked out was in the 7th gym where the first trainers Fraxure one-shotted every single Pokémon after two dragon dances :p

Is anyone else playing in Challenge Mode? How are you feeling the raised difficulty?

So I'm playing in Challenge Mode on my White 2 Version (currently just beat Plasma after the 8th badge) and I don't have any difficulty what so ever. As the gym leaders and the trainers have higher leveled Pokémon, mine grow to that level. The only time I've blacked out was in the 7th gym where the first trainers Fraxure one-shotted every single Pokémon after two dragon dances :p

Is anyone else playing in Challenge Mode? How are you feeling the raised difficulty?

It's not just the levels, though; the AI is significantly improved.
The N Weather battles are the most difficult in the series in Challenge Mode.

Scher

That's pretty much the same way it was for me. It was kind of difficult at the beginning of the game, but I was gaining levels very quickly. Once I reached Castelia City's gym, nothing was really posing a challenge. I could pretty much outspeed and OHKO most things without too much difficulty. I think the only thing that really tripped me up was the fighting type guy of the Elite 4, but that's mostly because I didn't have anyone that could hit super-effective on fighting types.

Wichu

Suddenly I want to train Stunfisk. Apparently he is an epic troll.

I made a fun team with one in VGC2011, with a moveset of Attract/Swagger/Double Team/some random attacking move. It went something like this:

The foe's Landorus is in love with Stunfisk!
The foe's Landorus is confused!
The foe's Landorus used Explosion!

Stunfisk avoided the attack!

MicH

It's not just the levels, though; the AI is significantly improved.
The N Weather battles are the most difficult in the series in Challenge Mode.
Oh, that sounds very challenging! I didn't even know about these battles in general. Also just saw the E4 rematch teams in Challenge Mode and those look quite challenging as well. The "main game" just disappoints me a bit in regards to the challenge mode. It could have been a bit more challenging.

Red

I don't know what I'll use to tackle PWT/Battle Subway. I don't even know if I'm going to try challenge mode... does that require I restart my game?

Right now I am still basically using only Lucario, with a little bit of Moxie Krookodile. I need something more capable against water/fighting/bug. Had a Scolipede for a while, but I just don't like the design enough to stick with him. I really really want a Magic Bounce Espeon, I know that for sure. My other options? I've always been big on Starmie but haven't reliably used one since G/S. Might try and find a good one. Tyranitar? I like them, but I'm kind of sick of using one. Been the core of my team since it appeared. I'm playing around with the idea of a Volcarona or Ferrothorn, but they seem really overused, and I'd like to not have a team full of only popular Pokemon.

I don't know. I'd like an imposter Ditto. Maybe a Truant Durant with Endearment to fuck over the AI, but that almost seems like cheating.

I like to use a different team for each game, except for maybe one or two core Pokemon that I carry from gen to gen (typically Tyranitar and Skarmory, sometimes Gyarados). In White I ended up with those reliable, horribly overused heavy hitters... Salamence, Hydreigon, Metagross, and so on. I don't want to go that route again. Maybe I'll use one of them, but not all three.

I don't know. Why is it so difficult to choose?

My PWT Rotation Battle Team was Samurott-Arcanine-Flygon-Ferrothorn.

Not the most inspired, individual choices, but solid, good coverage, and enough to pull me to the Champion's League. Haven't tried that yet, though.

ffdgh

My pwt team is latios,terrakion,mespit for singles.
Need a few more legends before I attempt doubles, triples and rotation lol.

Wichu

Venomoth, Nidoking and Scolipede for me. But only because my only competitively-raised Pokémon at the moment are from my mono-Poison team.

stn

Ok, more questions...

Is this PokeGTS site legit for uploading your own Pokemon? Is there a chance it may corrupt your Pokes? How easy is it to use?

The only reason I ask is because I'd want to immediately sell my DS Lite upon receiving the 3DS XL, and I assume I need to first beat Black 2 before I trade to myself. Thanks bros!

Top Bottom