• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

zroid

Banned
Life-altering question here:

In the particular battle that a Pokemon is infected with Pokerus, do the EVs double there as well?

Alec

I released one of N's Pokémon by accident after catching it...it won't come back. Too late to re-load from a previous save. :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I started the game yesterday and for the first time ever, I picked a grass type starter.

In Black I picked Oshawott and he was pretty good, always liked the water type.

Anyway, I haven't played much of Black Version 2 yet -- but I finally beat Black last night and it was great. I've always sort of been a casual Pokemon player -- not that in depth with stats, what EVs are, etc ... anyone know what the best sources are to learn those things? I know of Serebii but is there another source I should be looking at?

zroid

Banned
I've always sort of been a casual Pokemon player -- not that in depth with stats, what EVs are, etc ... anyone know what the best sources are to learn those things? I know of Serebii but is there another source I should be looking at?

Bulbapedia was and still is my source for everything.

I learned about IVs/EVs from there, although Serebii's slightly esoteric stat calculator is a vital resource once you learn the ropes.

Protip: make Bulbapedia a search engine in your browser, life is so much better like that!

Frost_Ace

I started the game yesterday and for the first time ever, I picked a grass type starter.

In Black I picked Oshawott and he was pretty good, always liked the water type.

Anyway, I haven't played much of Black Version 2 yet -- but I finally beat Black last night and it was great. I've always sort of been a casual Pokemon player -- not that in depth with stats, what EVs are, etc ... anyone know what the best sources are to learn those things? I know of Serebii but is there another source I should be looking at?

Nugget Bridge is a pretty great site :3

http://nuggetbridge.com/beginners/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
T_T I can't get the three Gamestop Legendaries from the GTS until the library fixes it's wifi and when it does it may be harder for the DS to connect.

FML.

zroid

Banned
Theres an easier way to check stats if you're up for it. Upload pokemon to Pokécheck to see all their stats like EVs and IV with ease.

Heres my current serperior for example.

That's pretty cool. Seems kinda time-consuming though...

But probably not as time-consuming as trying to figure out how many EVs you have in all your stats via items and resetting lol. I now just track them rigorously for all Pokemon whose stats I care about.

ffdgh

That's pretty cool. Seems kinda time-consuming though...

Nah it's easy. Only has to be done once and after that, just upload a pokemon to GTS and check its stats....and its works like a online PC/GTS for storage and transferring pokemon.

Beats using those iv calculators ever again....for me anyway lol.

zroid

Banned
Nah it's easy. Only has to be done once and after that, just upload a pokemon to GTS and check its stats....and its works like a online PC/GTS for storage and transferring pokemon.

Beats using those iv calculators ever again....for me anyway lol.

Sounds handy, I will definitely check it out!

A side-note I made while playing:

This game has, without question and completely objectively, the single best regional Pokedex in the history of the entire franchise. No contest.

It's like they took all of the best and most iconic Pokemon from each of the other regions, tossed them in with the entire Unova dex from B/W and specifically left Pikachu out to make him seem even more special when players finally get one.

Really, really good work GameFreak.

I just arrived at the Village Bridge and I'm on my way to take down the 7th Gym leader. Current team is:

Lv. 46 Samurott
Lv. 46 Arcanine
Lv. 46 Escavalier
Lv. 46 Eelektrik
Lv. 46 Flygon

I actually have a Thunderstone but I'm not going to evolve Eelektrik yet because according to the Pokedex 3D app he learns Coil at Lv. 54 and that's something I definitely want to have on him. Still deciding on who I want in that 6th slot too. I'm leaning towards a ghost, dark or ice type. We'll see what happens!

Qurupeke

check inside the Virbank inner complex....

I am there... FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR. I found Magby, Koffing, Patrat, Magnemite but no Growlithe. My Pokemon have leveled up about 6 times there... But no Growlithe...

Edit: I just found one and my attack was a critical hit... This game hates me. Some hours ago, I caught 3 Riolus and all of them were female. And I wanted a male one... >.<

ffdgh

Check the dark grass. Just found one...now to catch it.

Oooo that suck =/. Darn crits never come when you want them
LLShC.gif

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Bulbapedia was and still is my source for everything.

I learned about IVs/EVs from there, although Serebii's slightly esoteric stat calculator is a vital resource once you learn the ropes.

Protip: make Bulbapedia a search engine in your browser, life is so much better like that!

Nugget Bridge is a pretty great site :3

http://nuggetbridge.com/beginners/

Theres an easier way to check stats if you're up for it. Upload pokemon to Pokécheck to see all their stats like EVs and IV with ease.

Heres my current serperior for example.
Thanks for the links! I'll check them all out.

Alright, time for me to take on the Pokémon League. Man, it took some time battling everyone in Victory Road, but I'm ready...I think.

Hydros/Samurott, lv. 58
Icarus/Arcanine, lv. 55
Apollo/Ampharos, lv. 53
Ananke/Lucario, lv. 58
Eurus/Altaria, lv. 54
Deimos/Scolipede, lv. 53

ffdgh

Alright, time for me to take on the Pokémon League. Man, it took some time battling everyone in Victory Road, but I'm ready...I think.

Hydros/Samurott, lv. 58
Icarus/Arcanine, lv. 55
Apollo/Ampharos, lv. 53
Ananke/Lucario, lv. 58
Eurus/Altaria, lv. 54
Deimos/Scolipede, lv. 53

Hmm.....looks good.I wish you luck against the champ

Just caught 274 Partrat/Purrloin. And that alone took over 2 hours. -_-

I have to stop for now. At least the Repeat Balls have had a 100% success rate so far.

789shadow

Banned
I think I'll wait till the first 3DS game to really get into the more complicated side of Pokemon, with the EV's and IV's and items and such.

For those who have done the World Tournament, how difficult is it? Is it doable with the Pokemon you use to beat the story?

So how soon can I expect the Magmarizer? just exited chargestone cave, my main 4 for now are all nearly complete, got Samurott, Magnezone and Conkeldurr, now I just need Magmortar to complete this set, it feels wrong to have him not fully evolved with the rest.

Golurk will be my flier and i'm thinking of shoving Boufallant or Accelgor in the final spot, does Bouffalant show up at a more reasonable point in this one? if not Accelgor wins this round.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So how soon can I expect the Magmarizer? just exited chargestone cave, my main 4 for now are all nearly complete, got Samurott, Magnezone and Conkeldurr, now I just need Magmortar to complete this set, it feels wrong to have him not fully evolved with the rest.

Golurk will be my flier and i'm thinking of shoving Boufallant or Accelgor in the final spot, does Bouffalant show up at a more reasonable point in this one? if not Accelgor wins this round.

Not for a pretty long time. It's at
Plasma Frigate
and can also be bought in Black City, after the Elite 4.

Boufallant won't show up for a while either. The earliest you can find him is in the Hidden Grotto on Route 9.. but the odds are low. Route 23 otherwise at a nice 25% chance.

Roto13

I can't imagine transferring all of my Pokemon from Black 1 ahead to Black 2. Way too time consuming. Even if I did, I'd only trade one at a time. (Trade over a Bulbasaur, trade the Bulbasaur back for an Ivysaur, etc.) No way I'm catching hundreds of throwaways. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can't imagine transferring all of my Pokemon from Black 1 ahead to Black 2. Way too time consuming. Even if I did, I'd only trade one at a time. (Trade over a Bulbasaur, trade the Bulbasaur back for an Ivysaur, etc.) No way I'm catching hundreds of throwaways. :p

I completed my Pokedex in White. Too bad it's actually worth something now in BW2 and I'm too lazy to do it again. I really wish you could trade 6 for 6 (or 6 for 1), or something. It's so slow right now. Doing the stupid Gen IV minigame to Gen V was faster than this.

Not for a pretty long time. It's at
Plasma Frigate
and can also be bought in Black City, after the Elite 4.

Boufallant won't show up for a while either. The earliest you can find him is in the Hidden Grotto on Route 9.. but the odds are low. Route 23 otherwise at a nice 25% chance.

Oh blast, well I might give Accelgor a shake in the meantime, I used Escavalier in the last game so it just seems like the right thing to do.
Considering how surprisingly potent Magby was even in the late twenties i'm sure Magamar will do just fine for now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My plan is trade over the unova dex first (whatever I don't catch/evolve in the main game) to get faster egg hatching and then just abuse the various mechanics to get the day care man to give me faster eggs and trade over that for the rest of my complete dex.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

PWT is not that difficult. The region Gym Leader battles basically relies on match ups, but you should be able to plow through them with 'random' EV'ed Good Stuff Pokemon for the most part. All Pokemon are set level 50 in those battles (25 in some other modes, like Driftveil). Obviously it'll be a lot easier if the Pokemon are bred and trained fully. But because your only going against 3 trainers in the tournaments, focus on maintaining a long streak like in the Battle Subway is much less of an issue.

There's no punishment for going in and trying your Pokemon out (in fact, you receive prizes when you lose), so just give it a shot.

Oh blast, well I might give Accelgor a shake in the meantime, I used Escavalier in the last game so it just seems like the right thing to do.
Considering how surprisingly potent Magby was even in the late twenties i'm sure Magamar will do just fine for now.

Accelgor is pretty cool in-game. Grass and Bug moves mostly (although no Bug Buzz until 44) plus he'll out speed literally everything you'll come across.

ffdgh

hmm...should I let lucario forget close combat to tutor drain punch or forget swords dance?

and Woo for serperior having another physical attack besides leaf blade in aqua tail.

I'm literally thinking about buying a used DS from Gamestop so I can trade my stuff from White to Black 2 and then return it once I'm done.

I really hate that my other 3 DSes are 3 hours away. I need my EVed stuff from White. :(

Trey

hmm...should I let lucario forget close combat to tutor drain punch or forget swords dance?

and Woo for serperior having another physical attack besides leaf blade in aqua tail.

What kind of role do you want your Lucario to play? I say just keep CC, 'cause that move breaks faces.

Top Bottom