• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

oh shit , there is already mod for this game

1e4d14b017eb4d7b7cc7a1d70519e2df.png

- Hold B to sprint (quad speed on bikes)
- All the Sprites from Gold Silver + Xp Bar
- works with poke bank

old vs modded

477557cd4d2a86210a5eb08d5ec34e8d.png

i think only work on CFW.

how do i do this

Amiibro

Just getting started. So far my team is

Pikachu lvl 11
Nidoran Male lvl 5
Pidgey lvl 9
Caterpie lvl 3

I was thinking of leveling Caterpie up but can't seem to find one starting at a higher level. I would like ButterFree. know I read Mankey is decent for some fights, anything else that would be helpful? Trying to have a well rounded team.

I bought Yellow! When I owned it back in the day I got to the last Pokemon of the last member of the Elite Four and lost. Never could pick it up to try again.

Hegarol

Quick question, I have an Austrian eShop account, is it possible to get the English (and glitchy) versions of RBY or am I saddled with the German language versions?

Apologies if the question has already been answered in the thread.
The german eshop has every language available. Should be the same for all EU.

Just getting started. So far my team is

Pikachu lvl 11
Nidoran Male lvl 5
Pidgey lvl 9
Caterpie lvl 3

I was thinking of leveling Caterpie up but can't seem to find one starting at a higher level. I would like ButterFree. know I read Mankey is decent for some fights, anything else that would be helpful? Trying to have a well rounded team.
Best thing for Brock with your current team is to get Nidoran to lv 12 so it knows Double Kick. Other than that, Mankey learns Low Kick at lv 9 and Butterfree will learn Confusion as soon as it evolves.

Plasmid

oh shit , there is already mod for this game

1e4d14b017eb4d7b7cc7a1d70519e2df.png

- Hold B to sprint (quad speed on bikes)
- All the Sprites from Gold Silver + Xp Bar
- works with poke bank

old vs modded

477557cd4d2a86210a5eb08d5ec34e8d.png

i think only work on CFW.

Damn that's nice. And its poke bank compatible today? The mod I mean.

Wish I could CFW grr.

In Viridian Forest, my team so far is:

Griffith (Pikachu) LV 7
VanillaIce (Pidgey) LV 7
Micolash (Mankey) LV 7

Micolash isn't pulling his weight :(

Fictional Antagonist naming theme is fun.

Oh man, if I only knew about the Mew Glitch back in the day :p

Where do you get the GBC border from? Is that possible on the 3DS?

Ok.

So I understand the basics of the Mew Glitch and how to get Mew...what I DON'T understand is how people are able to use it to catch ANY Pokemon, especially those with high index numbers?

How are people able to catch Pokemon with really high index numbers while also still having enough unbeaten trainers in their game to carry out the glitch? Or do you just need ONE unbeaten trainer left in your game and then just do the Ditto Glitch?

EDIT: It seems to me, some of these index numbers are so high, that you're so deep into the game, I don't see how you can possibly have enough unbeaten trainers to carry out the glitch enough times to complete the PokeDex.

Pls help. Confused, longtime Pokemon fan with a real lust for all 151.

Ok.

So I understand the basics of the Mew Glitch and how to get Mew...what I DON'T understand is how people are able to use it to catch ANY Pokemon, especially those with high index numbers?

How are people able to catch Pokemon with really high index numbers while also still having enough unbeaten trainers in their game to carry out the glitch? Or do you just need ONE unbeaten trainer left in your game and then just do the Ditto Glitch?

EDIT: It seems to me, some of these index numbers are so high, that you're so deep into the game, I don't see how you can possibly have enough unbeaten trainers to carry out the glitch enough times to complete the PokeDex.

Pls help. Confused, longtime Pokemon fan with a real lust for all 151.

The trainer you fly away from is infintely recyclable for the glitch. You can also use the special stats from wild encounters. If you have a wild Ditto transform into your mon its special becomes that of yours.

I want to use Pikachu and all three starters for my Yellow play-through but I can't decide on the other two team members. I was thinking maybe Alakazam and Dodrio because IIRC they're both pretty strong on the Gen 1 engine.

The trainer you fly away from is infintely recyclable for the glitch. You can also use the special stats from wild encounters. If you have a wild Ditto transform into your mon its special becomes that of yours.

Thanks. Someone on reddit clarified this for me as well.

So basically, just never fight that trainer ever and it'll be fine.

So after you fight the wild Ditto and have it transform to whatever it is you want with the correct Special stat, how do you force the game to give you an encounter so you actually SEE the Pokemon you were glitching for? The redditor who was helping me mentioned "moving to any zone"

Does that mean when a route changes into another route, or when a route turns into a city, the encounter should activate?

NZerker12

It has been ages since I played Yellow but can you not get Mankey on the route to the Pokemon League? I seem to be running into Spearow and both Nidorans.
EDIT: As soon as I post this a Mankey appears lol

Thanks. Someone on reddit clarified this for me as well.

So basically, just never fight that trainer ever and it'll be fine.

So after you fight the wild Ditto and have it transform to whatever it is you want with the correct Special stat, how do you force the game to give you an encounter so you actually SEE the Pokemon you were glitching for? The redditor who was helping me mentioned "moving to any zone"

Does that mean when a route changes into another route, or when a route turns into a city, the encounter should activate?

To trigger the encounter you return to the route where you flew away from the trainer.

Zalman

Do you know what's mind blowing for me? Pokemon Yellow has colors. I played it nonstop on my Gameboy Pocket...
That's why I consider Game Boy and Game Boy Color to be the same generation. There are GB games that have color and GBC games that can be played on a regular GB. It makes no sense!

I wish I would have known about the trick to instantly max Pikachu's happiness level as a kid. Would have made getting Bulbasaur in Cerulean that much easier.

These movepools are dire.

Looking at Pikachu, it doesn't even learn Thunderbolt in RB, only Yellow, so there's no reason to not evolve it. Nobody should care that Pikachu learns Thunder and Raichu doesn't, because Thunder is an infinite TM (you can buy more of them), so you can have every Pokemon on your party with Thunder if you wanted.

Nidorino gets Horn Drill and nothing much else notable, so again, no real reason to not evolve it.

Charizard has Ember as his only STAB until level 46...

I forgot how bland and low power these move pools were.

My team as I head to Bill (I already beat Misty).

Charmeleon (Lazzy) level 18
Nidorino (Elvis) level 19
Spearow (Crowkiller) level 18
Pikachu (Raiden) level 16
Bellsprout (Dumbel) level 12
Zubat (Zubba) level 11

The game doesn't really feel set up to keep your team balanced. It makes it hard to not have one Pokemon be way over leveled because wild Pokemon to grind on are, like, 10 levels below the NPC Pokemon.

I just did this haha. I love how the tune is the same as the anime.

The anime took the tune from that Jigglpuff. The song is the same in Red/Blue.

Heropon

I didn't remember that you could catch Sandshrews in Yellow before Mt. Moon. That's a nice surprise, as I was already prepared to get a Jigglypuff. And it learns Slash as soon as level 17, he can become the MVP of the team if he doesn't die before that.

My full team right now is:
TESLA X the Pikachu (lv 13)
F RAPTOR the Spearow (lv13)
RAT ROD the Rattata (lv 11)
BUGGY the Butterfree (lv 13)
DPV the Sandshrew (lv 10)
BATPLANE the Zubat (lv 9)

Boxed: BOEING the Pidgey (lv 3)

Zubat's level up moveset seems really underwhelming in gen I so I think it goes into a PC box as soon as I catch something else.

So I've always been curious about Pokemon games. I've tried a couple of times to get into the series, first with Black and Black2. Later with XY. Games failed to hook me. I love JRPG's, and collecting aspects hooked me with the SMT games.

Seeing as these games seemed to have triggered a lot of fans, would you guys recommend I try one of these out? And which version?

Zalman

So I've always been curious about Pokemon games. I've tried a couple of times to get into the series, first with Black and Black2. Later with XY. Games failed to hook me. I love JRPG's, and collecting aspects hooked me with the SMT games.

Seeing as these games seemed to have triggered a lot of fans, would you guys recommend I try one of these out? And which version?
This is mostly a nostalgia trip. I wouldn't recommend these games to new players. If you didn't enjoy the ones you played, the franchise probably isn't for you.

Forkball

I didn't remember that you could catch Sandshrews in Yellow before Mt. Moon. That's a nice surprise, as I was already prepared to get a Jigglypuff. And it learns Slash as soon as level 17, he can become the MVP of the team if he doesn't die before that.

Yellow is quite amazing when it comes to early Pokemon. You can get Pidgey, Rattata, Nidoran Male, Nidoran Female, Mankey, Spearow, Caterpie, Metapod, and PIDGEOTTO in the wild before the first gym. Yes, there is a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, but it has a 1% appearance rate so get to shuffling.

Also the trainer in Brock's gym had a Diglett and Sandshrew. He wasn't playing around.

Of course I have huge nostalgia for RB, but Yellow really is a more interesting experience with all the changes and it actually provides a challenge.

Zalman

Yellow is quite amazing when it comes to early Pokemon. You can get Pidgey, Rattata, Nidoran Male, Nidoran Female, Mankey, Spearow, Caterpie, Metapod, and PIDGEOTTO in the wild before the first gym. Yes, there is a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, but it has a 1% appearance rate so get to shuffling.

Also the trainer in Brock's gym had a Diglett and Sandshrew. He wasn't playing around.

Of course I have huge nostalgia for RB, but Yellow really is a more interesting experience with all the changes and it actually provides a challenge.
To this day I think Yellow is still the hardest Pokémon game. I mean, it's not that difficult, but by Pokémon standards it is.

Heropon

Yeah, I found the Pidgeotto earlier while grinding and it actually was a bad surprise because I thought it was going to kill someone. The Pokemon variety is very welcome so it was the right choice to get Yellow.

My goodness, why was Wing Attack such a lame move and why everyone learned it so late?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the Pikachu version, but is there no way to play this in Game Boy Color mode?

Zalman

I always catch a Mankey in Yellow. Super useful, especially early on. Nidoran♂ also learns Double Kick at level 12, which is great against Brock.

I bought the Pikachu version, but is there no way to play this in Game Boy Color mode?
Yellow is in color, unlike Red/Blue. (Unless you're in Japan.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I always catch a Mankey in Yellow. Super useful, especially early on. Nidoran♂ also learns Double Kick at level 12, which is great against Brock.

Yellow is in color, unlike Red/Blue.

Hmm... I wonder if this is a regional thing. I bought it on the Japanese eShop and it's a normal Game Boy game.

ShadowOwl

Argh. Tried to catch a rare Pikachu in the Vertania Forest. Found one after quite a while, got its HP down enough for a Pokéball. Then fled by accident when one of my Pokémon fainted. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Did you buy the japanese version? If yes, then the answer to your question is no.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that's weak. I guess I assumed that the Japanese version and overseas version were the game. Oh well, still a fun game!

Pokemon Yellow Nuzlocke Journel Entry #2

Rules
Entery #1

Current Team:
Pikachu (Norris) Level 13
Pidgey (Kuluzu) Level 13
Butterfree (Catter) Level 14
Sandshrew (Tuttle) Level 12
NidoranF (Alisa) Level 14
Zubat (Freddy) Level 10

Location: Mt. Moon. I captured a Sandshrew on the route leading to Mt. Moon, never even knew you could catch one that early. It's pretty good so far but man does it suck how much exp it needs to level, its the reason I boxed Sparrow >.> of course the Pokemon I see on Mt. Moon is a Zubat but I actually like Zubat so I'm fine with it. Catter absolutely wrecked Brock (didn't even take damage XD) I leveled it to 13 before the battle and thought he would have Rock Throw but doesn't seem like it did since it never used it.

At least Misty should be super easy with Norris.

Top Bottom