• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

dickroach

so how's trading work? can I buy both red + blue and complete the pokedex by on one file by myself or do I need someone else to trade with?

Just read in the OP that all the glitches are still there.
Isn't that killing it a bit? I mean, with the right preperations you can get basically any Pokémon through the Missingno. glitch with stupidly high stats at any level.
And you can send them through your bank to current gen games.

Was this already discussed in here? Because I actually do worry a bit about that.

Tingle

What's the Magikarp before Mt. Moon? Don't you get the old rod in Cerulean?

A guy sells you one in the Pokemon center before the Mt. Moon cave. Its to get early access to it... but honestly you are probably better off waiting in general.

Rich!

for those with access to custom firmware/homebrew:

The Pokemon VC games can be injected with numerous romhacks. As an example, the pokemon red hack that includes Gold/Silver sprites, B button to dash and exp meter apparently works perfectly:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhpdSCTTw

wvw69i79vuann3jh8kwnbdu.jpg

Also....Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal works too - complete with full link cable support. Presumably transfer to Pokemon Bank would work too.

Yrael

I can easily see people exploiting the Mew glitch over and over again to have a ridiculous number of Mews ready to be stored in the Pokemon Bank and transferred to Sun/Moon.

eefara

Finally reached Cerulean City in Yellow. Current team is:
Lv. 13 Paras (Truffle)
Lv. 15 Spearow (Chocolate)
Lv. 15 Pikachu (Volty)
Lv. 16 Rattata (Squeak)
Lv. 16 Nidorino (Sprinkles)

That last nickname is the fault of a friend of mine. :p I'm kinda a fan, though, hahaha.

Brock's Onix bringing the uncanny horrors of Gen 1 to the forefront...
- Cheesy abuse of Bind
- That ear splitting Screech sound effect
- A horrible TM in Bide

It's like a work of art really, bind cheese got Mankey but fortunately I brute forced my way through with LEER and PECK, bless you Spearow.

entremet

The Pokemon VC games can be injected with numerous romhacks. As an example, the pokemon red hack that includes Gold/Silver sprites, B button to dash and exp meter apparently works perfectly:

Also....Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal works too - complete with full link cable support. Presumably transfer to Pokemon Bank would work too.

woah.

Would it theoretically be possible to inject other games that previously had link cable functionality and use them with whatever custom emulator they used for R/B/Y? I assume so since it's working with G/S/C, but I thought I'd ask.

Firemind

To this day I think Yellow is still the hardest Pokémon game. I mean, it's not that difficult, but by Pokémon standards it is.
Really now. I'm at Cerulean City and they already nerfed a few things. That and you get to have all three starters. That's pretty OP. Gary has Eevee which is pretty weaksauce. I'll have to see if they kept Silph Co.'s difficulty.

Rich!

Would it theoretically be possible to inject other games that previously had link cable functionality and use them with whatever custom emulator they used for R/B/Y? I assume so since it's working with G/S/C, but I thought I'd ask.

yeah, as far as I can tell although I haven't tested it myself.

vid

I had forgotten that the Space Shuttle Columbia is on display in Pewter City, that hits hard to see now.

Does anyone know if the text is the same in the Japanese version? Or if it's a different shuttle?

Yort

Can different language versions trade/battle with each other? I'm learning French, and I should be able to understand a game made for children/all ages, so it seems like good practice.

Zalman

Really now. I'm at Cerulean City and they already nerfed a few things. That and you get to have all three starters. That's pretty OP. Gary has Eevee which is pretty weaksauce. I'll have to see if they kept Silph Co.'s difficulty.
Brock is underleveled compared to Red/Blue, but it was pretty much necessary since you're forced to start with Pikachu. Other than that, the gyms are generally higher leveled in Yellow.

I won't be getting Yellow for a while, so I decided to whip out the old Blue cartridge and use it on my GBA SP.

It still works, and saves properly.

Right now I'm at Vermillion Gym with my team being:

Charmeleon
Pikachu
Clefairy
Mew

Man, I forgot just how many TMs the game threw at you early on! I've got like, seven of them right now.

entremet

Can different language versions trade/battle with each other? I'm learning French, and I should be able to understand a game made for children/all ages, so it seems like good practice.

It should work. Worked with the original games. But you need local wifi. There's no internet battling or trading on these.

Isn't that killing it a bit? I mean, with the right preperations you can get basically any Pokémon through the Missingno. glitch with stupidly high stats at any level.

Was this already discussed in here? Because I actually do worry a bit about that.

People have been able to just make Pokemon with perfect stats and get those into the games, I don't see this being any more damaging.

Plasmid

Is this ONLY CFW or can Inject with menuhax etc?

Gentuu

Banned

What is the problem?

It's not like a basic joe will see these obscure glitches anyway.

And if someone want's to cheat in a singleplayer game then w/e.

Rich!

Is this ONLY CFW or can Inject with menuhax etc?

It requires installing to NAND. So, unless you've got balls of steel, you're gonna want custom firmware to install it to.

I went a little bit over the top with it. I copied over my N3DS system firmware to a hidden emunand partition on SD, updated it to 10.6 (full access to everything) and then downgraded my console to firmware 2.1 to gain my ARM9 key. I then restored my nand, and copied my emunand to sysnand.

Basically, my N3DS is awesome and can take anything now.

Firemind

Well I've beaten then all countless times, I just haven't played in close to a decade.
As someone who has gotten Yellow, I kind of regret not getting Blue. I'd much rather have an emotional bond with the starter I chose instead of getting a throwaway Pikachu Prof. Oak caught just because he doesn't have the guts to tell his grandson to behave and fuck off. Pikachu can't even evolve!

Plus, that Pikachu cry sfx. Yeesh.

This will be perfect for the Twitch Plays Pokemon Red and Crystal ROMS, as they allow you to catch all 151/251 and are overall better.

I wonder if RTC works...

Plasmid

It requires installing to NAND. So, unless you've got balls of steel, you're gonna want custom firmware to install it to.

I went a little bit over the top with it. I copied over my N3DS system firmware to a hidden emunand partition on SD, updated it to 10.6 (full access to everything) and then downgraded my console to firmware 2.1 to gain my ARM9 key. I then restored my nand, and copied my emunand to sysnand.

Basically, my N3DS is awesome and can take anything now.

Does this method require soldering?

Rich!

This will be perfect for the Twitch Plays Pokemon Red and Crystal ROMS, as they allow you to catch all 151/251 and are overall better.

I wonder if RTC works...

Hm, I wonder. I haven't tried gold/silver myself, so I wouldn't know. If I have a chance later, I might give it a go.

Does this method require soldering?

of course not. just some files on your SD and a firmware below 10.4

Man this brings back memories. I used to be extremely good at this game. Won many a tournament in my day, both with the ol' gameboy and those online battle simulators. Mmmm wonder if I can remember my team...

Hylian7

So I'm confused on something, can you actually transfer to Bank yet? I saw that Pokemon from the VC games are only transferable to Sun and Moon. How does that work? Are they just marked separately in Bank or what?

I'm not going to be buying any of the VC games I'm just curious how this all works and if I can expect gen 6 to be ruined online.

Top Bottom