• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Thrash with shift battle mode on feels like cheating. You get the benefits of the high power, without the downside of confusion since you just switch out.

And since last time...

My team as I head to Bill (I already beat Misty).

Charmeleon (Lazzy) level 18
Nidorino (Elvis) level 19
Spearow (Crowkiller) level 18
Pikachu (Raiden) level 16
Bellsprout (Dumbel) level 12
Zubat (Zubba) level 11

My team now, standing in front of Surge's Gym (just did the SS Anne)

Charmeleon (Lazzy) 21
Nidoking (Elvis) 25
Fearow (Crowkiller) 22
Pikachu (Raiden) 21
Meowth (El Tigre) 20
Bellsprout (Dumbel) 14

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wait I thought it is not available just that we are able to play the mini game without it?!
Ohhhh I see, I was going from what I read in the OP. Haven't bought any yet, been debating whether to get Yellow due to color graphics or Blue for nostalgia. Still, since I never had a chance to play the minigame in the past, looks like Yellow is the right version for me. Maybe I'll get Blue later and do a glitch-rich run.

So how many people are planning on replicating Twitch Plays Pokemon team?
This is a fantastic idea. I'll be doing this on Blue.

ChrisDM

I searched the topic and maybe I wasn't thorough enough, so apologies if this has been asked a bunch --

Has anyone tried putting glitches like Missingno in the Pokemon Bank to see what would happen?

ivysaur12

Banned
Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss

I love how silly the first generation was.

Downloaded Blue version last night and set out to recreate the experience I had when I first played this in 1998.

- Picked Bulbasaur
- Nicknamed him Bub
- Called my rival the clever and not at all immature name of Boner

Of course, I'm going to be doing the Mew glitch, which I didn't know back in the day, and I will be employing the services of an HM slave rather than teaching my starter Cut, but so far I've had a huge grin on my face from all the nostalgia.

eefara

I searched the topic and maybe I wasn't thorough enough, so apologies if this has been asked a bunch --

Has anyone tried putting glitches like Missingno in the Pokemon Bank to see what would happen?

As far as we know it's not possible to transfer to the Poke Bank at all yet.

Just re-discovered how limited the movepool is for Grass-type pokemon. Training up my Gloom as I haven't yet got Bulbasaur, and the only attacking Grass type move that Gloom can learn is Absorb! Mega Drain can only be taught via TM after beating Ericka!

I think I'm actually gonna go through this game WITHOUT any glitches just like the old days.
Then, of course, I will glitch the shit out of it once I beat the Elite 4.

Revven

PokeBank is not updated for R/B/Y functionality and likely won't be until closer to Sun and Moon's release.

Firemind

Just re-discovered how limited the movepool is for Grass-type pokemon. Training up my Gloom as I haven't yet got Bulbasaur, and the only attacking Grass type move that Gloom can learn is Absorb! Mega Drain can only be taught via TM after beating Ericka!
Well, Gastly doesn't learn ghost moves, Pinsir doesn't learn bug moves and Dratini doesn't learn dragon moves off the top of my head.

kiguel182

I always caught a Nidoran early in the game and leveled him up until he learned Double Kick. That move is a lifesaver against those rock types.

So for the people who are playing this now, how's the game holding up after all those years? :D

The Pokemon designs are so much better than the new ones and the experience feel much less bloated than the new ones.

Bulbasaur...?

I don't know how this sprite bias is anything other than nostalgia... the Yellow sprites, on the whole, are flat out superior to the R/B ones, which at times border on surrealist art... which is cool in a way, then you get Golbat freaking out on LSD

Spr_1b_042.png

I got through Brock on my first try just by spamming ember with Charmander.

You only really need to grind in Yellow, though if you catch a Nidoran/Mankey as early as possible and completely ignore your Pikachu until after Brock that might not even be necessary.

You guys just don't want to admit that Squirtle > everyone.

But yeah, Yellow version the the worse in this first gym because Pikachu is useless. But I'm farming!

Galdius

I got the second badge just now and this is my team:

Kadabra - lvl 16
Pidgeotto - lvl 21
Jigglypuff - lvl 12
Mew - lvl 17
Wartortle - lvl 23

I don't know if I keep Jigglypuff or not.
I like it because it can put other pokemon to sleep but I don't see myself using it after I get a Gastly with Hypnosis.

Crayolan

I forget where I get the 3 starters in Yellow

I think it's...
Bulbasaur - Cerulean
Squirtle - Vermillian
Charmander - Celadon

Charmander is in the route north of Cerulean.

Bulbasaur also has some extraneous requirement (maybe it's happiness with Pikachu? I never figured it out) so you usually can't get it on your first visit to Cerulean.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
About the graphics of the games:
In 1:1 mode it really looks nice. I miss the super game boy colours tho.
I really hope they give us gold/silver and especially crystal after this.

Charmander is in the route north of Cerulean.

Bulbasaur also has some extraneous requirement (maybe it's happiness with Pikachu? I never figured it out) so you usually can't get it on your first visit to Cerulean.
I did! Just treat Pikachu well and you'll get it there. Usually by lv 20 or so. You can also spam potions on it at full health and that boosts its happiness.

Revven

So theres no way i could trade until they release this Pokemon Bank update? I know nobody with a 3ds.

Even if PokeBank was updated you wouldn't be able to transfer them to another VC Pokemon game. It's a one way trip to Sun/Moon. Only way you can trade is if you have another 3DS or someone you know has one.

But yeah, Yellow version the the worse in this first gym because Pikachu is useless. But I'm farming!
It's not too bad since you can get Mankey really early and it gets Low Kick at lv.9 specifically in the Yellow version.

Worst is when you pick Charmander and you don't have a Mankey with Low Kick to a fall on lol.

It's not too bad since you can get Mankey really early and it gets Low Kick at lv.9 specifically in the Yellow version.

Worst is when you pick Charmander and you don't have a Mnakey with Low Kick to a fall on lol.

Worst is when you have a Charmander in Red and you catch and raise a Nidoran thinking it learns Double Kick before BY2K reminds you that that's only in Yellow, Nidoran doesn't learn jack in RB

Playing Red as an adult is really weird, I'm playing it so differently than I used to, which allows it to be sort of fresh yet also annoying.

My team now on Nugget Bridge:

Charmeleon - LV18
Pikachu - LV16
Pidgey - LV16
Geodude - LV16
Nidorino - LV17
Magikarp - LV11

Jaagen

Dome or Helix-fossil? I don't remember which one was the best(or are they pretty much the same? Both Omanyte and Kabuto are Rock/Water)

Amory

Dome or Helix-fossil? I don't remember which one was the best(or are they pretty much the same? Both Omanyte and Kabuto are Rock/Water)

I always get Omanyte (Helix) because i think they look cooler.

They're both kind of useless later on IIRC...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered the Pokemon retro faceplate
I'm in full pkmn mode.

Also I won something!! A kyogre faceplate that was only available in Japan in a limited edition <3 will post pictures as soon as I got everything

Got to Brock. Now comes the worst part of gen 1 if you don't have Squirtle: farm for levels on that patch of grass!!

Just like old times (my play through of Blue was much easier than Yellow back in the day).
Yep. Forgotten how much of a pain it was when choosing Charmander.

Caught Pikachu so it'll be easier facing Misty.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
My Yellow team so far, pre-Brock match.

Pikachu Lvl 9
Butterfree Lvl 10
Nidoking Lvl 100
(Yeah I did that glitch, just for the kicks. Not planning to abuse the system... Yet :p)

Can't find a goddamn Pidgeotto on Viridian Forest, tho...

Top Bottom