• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

kiguel182

Got to Brock. Now comes the worst part of gen 1 if you don't have Squirtle: farm for levels on that patch of grass!!

Just like old times (my play through of Blue was much easier than Yellow back in the day).

Plasmid

Got to Brock. Now comes the worst part of gen 1 if you don't have Squirtle: farm for levels on that patch of grass!!

Just like old times (my play through of Blue was much easier than Yellow back in the day).

I was dreading brock until I traded over the other 2 starters. :D

Shit I cant choose between R/B or Yellow. Leaning toward the former
I would pick R/B. I think the whole reason to play these games in the first place is to see how far we've come, and since Yellow cleans up a lot of stuff Red and Blue give the strongest impact. Like Red we before even Pikachu was a thing.

Also, while some Pokemon look like complete shit (I'm looking at you, Geodude and Pikachu), Magikarp absofuckinglutely holds up. Looks like a modern artist inserted a devolved sprite into the game. And they made him worse in Yellow somehow 😳

Shizuka

First thing I did was catch a Mankey when I got to Veridian, I didn't have to farm anything to beat Brock.

Hylian7

So I'm confused on something, can you actually transfer to Bank yet? I saw that Pokemon from the VC games are only transferable to Sun and Moon. How does that work? Are they just marked separately in Bank or what?

I'm not going to be buying any of the VC games I'm just curious how this all works and if I can expect gen 6 to be ruined online.
Quoting this for new page, since it was likely missed

eefara

Is the quality of the port pretty solid? Thinking about picking up Yellow, but I already owned and beat Red, Blue and Yellow.

Very solid, I'd say. Just like old times.

I don't think we can yet. I haven't tried, but I also haven't seen anyone successfully transferring posting about it. We also don't know how they'll limit moving Pokemon only to Sun/Moon.

No you can't.

I don't know what you mean by gen 6 ruined online. Any pokemon with invalid stats or movesets wouldn't be uploadable to bank anyway, or it would be deleted or whatever it is they already did to block hacked mons from gen 5.

225px-Magikarp_Salesman.png

I loved that guy in the anime!

Is this his son?

Updating my post in a while. Beat Misty with ease. Currently going through the SS Anne to pick up Cut. One causality being Sandshrew who died to a Diglett/Dugtrio (can't remember). Picked up Charmander and replaced Sandshrew with Diglett for the upcoming fight against Lt. Surge. Current team:

• Pickle/Diglett Lvl 21
  • Victor/Pigeotto Lvl 12
  • Bloodhound/Zubat Lvl 10
  • Fury/Spearrow Lvl 11
  • Onion/Glood Lvl 23
  • Poisonpt/Nidorino Lvl 21

Firemind

I would pick R/B. I think the whole reason to play these games in the first place is to see how far we've come, and since Yellow cleans up a lot of stuff Red and Blue give the strongest impact. Like Red we before even Pikachu was a thing.

Also, while some Pokemon look like complete shit (I'm looking at you, Geodude and Pikachu), Magikarp absofuckinglutely holds up. Looks like a modern artist inserted a devolved sprite into the game. And they made him worse in Yellow somehow 😳
A lot of Pokemon look worse in Yellow.

Spr_1y_009.png

My fear was online being ruined by glitched Pokemon from these games. Does Bank check by impossible stats/moves or some invisible tag indicating that it isn't legitimate?

It would check for legitimate moves and stats. Maybe if it's caught at a incorrect place too and is the kind that can't come from an egg. But there's no "hidden tag" indicating that a pokemon is legitimate or not. Pokemon hacks already exist that would give you perfect stat pokemon, at least for gen 5, and probably gen 6 by now too given the progression of 3ds hacking.

Amory

Found the lady with Bulbasaur, how do I make her gimme?

I read Pikachu has to be happy and you need a spare spot in your party. He seems pretty happy to me, but no luck

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I read Pikachu has to be happy and you need a spare spot in your party. He seems pretty happy to me, but no luck
I think pikachu needs hearts over his head or something like that?

Buy a potion, have Pikachu at full HP, and keep attempting to use it. Won't restore HP (obviously) but the hidden happiness value still rises. Do it a couple of times and you should have Bulbasaur easy.

kiguel182

Every version has some sprites that look better/worse.

If you don't have nostalgia for any version I say go with Red/Blue since those are the originals.

I went with Yellow since it was the first version I played and because I want the three starters. Although I have a ton of nostalgia for Blue too since I played that one a bunch.

Teknoman

Co-Sign on Route 4 being the greatest route theme from this game. I remember how loud the original GB speakers were, having it blaring as I was walking back from school to the local park where we'd have battles/trades going. Original GB really did have some nice speakers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, Surfing Pikachu is available in Yellow? First Pokemon Bank compatibility and now this. These VC releases are truly great!

Yarbskoo

By the time I manage to find a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, I've already got a Charmeleon, so Brock is no problem. Misty isn't an issue either, since you don't need her badge until you finish going through the S.S. Anne.

Revven

Can't transfer to Bank yet at all, or just not to gen 6?

The Bank has not been updated for R/B/Y yet and likely won't until Sun and Moon come out. Therefore a lot of the assumptions about Pokemon in these games caught from glitched methods are based on nothing, just speculation.

At the end of the day, GameFreak probably won't be able to differentiate between whether a Pokemon was caught via a glitched method or legitimately from Gen 1. But they will be able to track stats, moves, levels, and of course the Pokemon itself -- if it's Missingno it's basically corrupt data that likely won't be transferred (or if it does get transferred, it'll just turn into a useless Bad Egg).

That would then mean legal move sets in Gen 1 (presuming GameFreak allows these to be legal in Sun and Moon because of the transferring) would be fine to transfer but if they had illegal moves then the Pokemon would either lose those moves in the transfer or simply not be able to be transferred.

Basically, you have nothing to worry about unless GF really fucks things up. Which is highly unlikely.

Velcro Fly

Beat Misty and caught Diglett and Drowzee. Diglett was level 20 and Drowzee at 15. Two more levels for Drowzee and he learns Confusion and can wreck everything.

This is so fun. Can't wait to play Yellow.

Ristifer

Oh man. I am so buying Blue again. I haven't played this game since it came out. I think I have the original around here somewhere, but I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to find.

Berordn

The Bank has not been updated for R/B/Y yet and likely won't until Sun and Moon come out. Therefore a lot of the assumptions about Pokemon in these games caught from glitched methods are based on nothing, just speculation.

At the end of the day, GameFreak probably won't be able to differentiate between whether a Pokemon was caught via a glitched method or legitimately from Gen 1. But they will be able to track stats, moves, levels, and of course the Pokemon itself -- if it's Missingno it's basically corrupt data that likely won't be transferred (or if it does get transferred, it'll just turn into a useless Bad Egg).

That would then mean legal move sets in Gen 1 (presuming GameFreak allows these to be legal in Sun and Moon because of the transferring) would be fine to transfer but if they had illegal moves then the Pokemon would either lose those moves in the transfer or simply not be able to be transferred.

Basically, you have nothing to worry about unless GF really fucks things up. Which is highly unlikely.

Well, they probably know that any Mew with the trainer as the OT and ID on the cartridge is false.

cHinzo

I always caught a Nidoran early in the game and leveled him up until he learned Double Kick. That move is a lifesaver against those rock types.

So for the people who are playing this now, how's the game holding up after all those years? :D

Amory

Can you find Abra in the patch of grass directly north of the Nugget Bridge in Yellow?

I know you could in Red..

Bulbasaur...?

He looks like he broke out the jazz hands. They did it properly in Gold:
Spr_2g_009.png

And come on, this looks so much better:
Spr_1b_009.png

What a boss.

I don't know how this sprite bias is anything other than nostalgia... the Yellow sprites, on the whole, are flat out superior to the R/B ones, which at times border on surrealist art... which is cool in a way, then you get Golbat freaking out on LSD

Spr_1b_042.png

Crayolan

I got through Brock on my first try just by spamming ember with Charmander.

You only really need to grind in Yellow, though if you catch a Nidoran/Mankey as early as possible and completely ignore your Pikachu until after Brock that might not even be necessary.

Velcro Fly

Just caught a level 29 Dugtrio! Guess I'm using that instead of this level 20 Diglett. Will get EQ a few levels later but 9 whole levels of not having to grind.

Top Bottom