• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Decided that I will buy Pokémon Yellow from the e-shop and get Pokémon Red when they put the gen 2 games up and when the NX releases.

5. It's very evident that the games have become easier over time. I have a habit of forgetting to buy Potions, and doing so hampers me a hell of a lot more than it has in most later generations of Pokemon games.

I have been saying this since the start of gen 6 but I keep getting shot down when folk keep saying "oh the game were always easy, when I know for a fact that it didn't use to be that way.

6. I'm disappointed that for $10, they couldn't give us Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color modes. It just makes it feel as though they charged us a Pokemon tax. :v

To be fair they updated the trading and battling, recoloured Jynx and added Pokémon bank compatibly.

7. Is there a way to get Mew in Blue?

Yes via the Mew glitch.

Alright so I am super confused about this but how does getting the Red/Blue games linked to your NintendoID work if they are pre-loaded on the new 3ds. I just got the 20th Anniversary edition Pokemon 3ds and I don't want to mess up getting the games on my account.

Anyone already do this with there account?

The accounts merge. Once the system transfer's over, go to the eShop and redownload the games.

What if I started playing the game? Do virtual consoles saves disappear or could I make a backup on the micro sd card instead?

The save gets backed up during the transfer. I started playing Blue for a bit on mine, system transferred all of my old stuff over, redownloaded the game(s) and picked up where I left off before the system transfer.

The accounts merge. Once the system transfer's over, go to the eShop and redownload the games.

The save gets backed up during the transfer. I started playing Blue for a bit on mine, system transferred all of my old stuff over, redownloaded the game(s) and picked up where I left off before the system transfer.

Awesome. Thanks for answering those questions! I think it is time to start up blue. Let the nostalgia roll and take me back to 1998. So happy the made these available.

Charmeleon is so bad. I taught him Cut because I needed a reason not to just drop him.

His movepool is crippling, and he lacks any sort of utility or niche that isn't better filled by Fearow (or Dodrio later in the game)...

I never used Charizard in the original games (I picked Bulbasaur back in the 90s). He needs Flamethrower at a better level than the mid 40s. It's ridiculous. He's sort of hanging on now, in the mid 20s, but once I hit the 30s, Ember just isn't going to cut it anymore. He shouldn't be three shotting Grass types 2 levels under him.

Not when Meowth (soon to be Persian) has Bite (soon to be Slash), Nidoking has Thrash (soon to be Strength), and Dugtrio had Dig. Charmeleon with Ember just can't compete. Even Fearow with Fury Attack has decent damage output, and he'll get Drill Peck eventually, and I need him to Fly as well.

I have been saying this since the start of gen 6 but I keep getting shot down when folk keep saying "oh the game were always easy, when I know for a fact that it didn't use to be that way.

This game is brutal. Pokemon don't have big move pools that do much damage, Wrap can take off 2/3 of a Pokemon's HP. Poison is a dead Pokemon unless you're right by a Center. Sleep can be crippling. Paralysis can cripple you several turns in a row with no mercy. Freeze is RIP. Crits are flying all over the place.

I don't even know how I did this as a kid. I don't remember it being this hard This game is destroying me. I can't work with Pokemon when the highest damage output a Pokemon has is 30. Routes end up being exercises in beating 2-3 trainers, walk back to center, rinse and repeat. Mt Moon was a disaster and stripped me of all my healing items, I made it out with Nidorino having like 12 HP, with everyone else dead. I'm right before Rock Tunnel, and I don't even want to know how badly that's going to go. At least now I have Dugtrio to get me out if I need to.

Drain You

My pokemon 3ds comes in on Wednesday with red/blue on it but I'm still debating getting yellow from the start. I just want that extra bit of color I guess. Hmm

Firemind

Charmeleon is so bad. I taught him Cut because I needed a reason not to just drop him.

His movepool is crippling, and he lacks any sort of utility or niche that isn't better filled by Fearow (or Dodrio later in the game)...

I never used Charizard in the original games (I picked Bulbasaur back in the 90s). He needs Flamethrower at a better level than the mid 40s. It's ridiculous. He's sort of hanging on now, in the mid 20s, but once I hit the 30s, Ember just isn't going to cut it anymore. He shouldn't be three shotting Grass types 2 levels under him.

Not when Meowth (soon to be Persian) has Bite (soon to be Slash), Nidoking has Thrash (soon to be Strength), and Dugtrio had Dig. Charmeleon with Ember just can't compete. Even Fearow with Fury Attack has decent damage output, and he'll get Drill Peck eventually, and I need him to Fly as well.
Slash will redeem him.

This post reminds me, I should probably pick up a Spearow.

Revven

As someone who has played these to death (at least over a dozen times in the past decade) Red/Blue/Yellow aren't difficult so much as they are just different from how things are in later generations.

Much of the difficulty spikes in these games comes from how someone approaches it. If you don't grind a bit at the start in the wild battles, prepare to get owned by Brock. If you don't have a good party, prepare for a difficult road ahead. If you miss any trainers along the way, prepare for the E4 to be pretty hard to beat (and this is a very common thing that can happen even for people who replay it -- if you really don't fight every trainer in Kanto you will be just under level 50 and will have a difficult time with the E4). Skipping trainers in Gen 1 is actually bad. It punishes you.

So, it really comes down to how well you know these games and while as a kid the games were moderate in difficulty they're pretty comparable to later generations. It's just that the newer games absolutely, 100% make sure you can't miss a single trainer. And, well, the level balance in general.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So here's my thoughts

1. I forgot how busted the critical hit system was. Seriously, I've seen the opponent critical hit four times in a row!

2. Wrap sucks. Fewer Ekans in Blue is enough for Blue to be the superior version. Seriously though, I do prefer Blue, even though Magmar is easily bottom 10 for worst Pokemon designs. Vulpix/Ninetales is better than anything in Red besides Electabuzz.

3. Zubats are made extra annoying since in the first cave you encounter them, you're not super likely to have anything that can be super effective. No wonder people hate Zubat.

4. My party right now is Geodude, Nidorina, Ivysaur, and Kadabra (I'll be swapping Geodude out for Fire, Water, and Flying Pokemon eventually). It almost feels as though the game does not accommodate players who start out with only a few Pokemon though.

5. It's very evident that the games have become easier over time. I have a habit of forgetting to buy Potions, and doing so hampers me a hell of a lot more than it has in most later generations of Pokemon games.

6. I'm disappointed that for $10, they couldn't give us Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color modes. It just makes it feel as though they charged us a Pokemon tax. :v

7. Is there a way to get Mew in Blue?

8. It's good tho

Yeah the Charmander line moveset were pretty bad back then.

I taught mine Submission, Dig and Mega punch to get around his poor move set until he learnt slash.

Slash will redeem him.

Yep, Slash is amazing in Gen 1 and was a staple of my Charizard move set across the generation until up to gen 4 when I swapped it for Air Slash.

Firemind

As someone who has played these to death (at least over a dozen times in the past decade) Red/Blue/Yellow aren't difficult so much as they are just different from how things are in later generations.

Much of the difficulty spikes in these games comes from how someone approaches it. If you don't grind a bit at the start in the wild battles, prepare to get owned by Brock. If you don't have a good party, prepare for a difficult road ahead. If you miss any trainers along the way, prepare for the E4 to be pretty hard to beat (and this is a very common thing that can happen even for people who replay it -- if you really don't fight every trainer in Kanto you will be just under level 50 and will have a difficult time with the E4). Skipping trainers in Gen 1 is actually bad. It punishes you.

So, it really comes down to how well you know these games and while as a kid the games were moderate in difficulty they're pretty comparable to later generations. It's just that the newer games absolutely, 100% make sure you can't miss a single trainer. And, well, the level balance in general.
There are also a lot of locations where they just whittle you down. Everyone who had a Squirtle or Bulbasaur knows the feeling of running out of PP in the caves. Silph Co. is an excellent example of good level design. Then there's the rival who appears in the most inopportune times. The rivals nowadays are a joke.

Finally made the decision to go with Blue. Really wanted the color in Yellow but I've never trained a Meowth before. This is gonna be awesome

Decided that I will buy Pokémon Yellow from the e-shop and get Pokémon Red when they put the gen 2 games up and when the NX releases.

To be fair they updated the trading and battling, recoloured Jynx and added Pokémon bank compatibly.

Yes via the Mew glitch.

Gen 3 was the hardest one because that game never told you what to do.
Also they never heal your party after a fight, like the news do

Gsnap

There are also a lot of locations where they just whittle you down. Everyone who had a Squirtle or Bulbasaur knows the feeling of running out of PP in the caves. Silph Co. is an excellent example of good level design. Then there's the rival who appears in the most inopportune times. The rivals nowadays are a joke.

Yeah, a lot of the difficulty in these games comes less from raw numbers and more from a different design philosophy from newer gens. Far less ways to heal pokemon without items. New gens have far more people and places spread around the overworld and even dungeon areas that heal you fully. If I remember correctly, even your rivals will heal you before or after fighting them in new gens. Pokemon have worse move pools in older gens, and TMs are one time use only, so you better not pick wrong.

There are even design decisions that can affect the player mentally, causing them to be reckless and make the game more difficult for themselves. No running shoes means slow walk speed until the bike, which means powering forward with weak pokemon is probably preferable to walking all the way back the pokecenter.

It's the various things like these that make these games more difficult. But they still aren't actually hard. AI is still horrible, and I could still just stick with one pokemon, have it soak up all the EXP and mow down everything in my path regardless of weaknesses if I wanted to.

Now I see how annoying these 1st gen games were! Limited move pool (apart from the starters), THE BAG IS SOOOOOOOO LIMITED! I have to literally go back to the PC and deposit things like very 30 minutes! Arghghg!

Crayolan

This game is brutal. Pokemon don't have big move pools that do much damage, Wrap can take off 2/3 of a Pokemon's HP. Poison is a dead Pokemon unless you're right by a Center. Sleep can be crippling. Paralysis can cripple you several turns in a row with no mercy. Freeze is RIP. Crits are flying all over the place.

I don't even know how I did this as a kid. I don't remember it being this hard This game is destroying me. I can't work with Pokemon when the highest damage output a Pokemon has is 30. Routes end up being exercises in beating 2-3 trainers, walk back to center, rinse and repeat. Mt Moon was a disaster and stripped me of all my healing items, I made it out with Nidorino having like 12 HP, with everyone else dead. I'm right before Rock Tunnel, and I don't even want to know how badly that's going to go. At least now I have Dugtrio to get me out if I need to.

I remember gen 1 being easier because of how garbage the AI is but I forgot the early game can be pretty difficult since you're so limited in movesets and pokemon variety.

The fight vs Blue on Route 22 was actually surprisingly difficult, I went there with just my Chamander at first and got my ass kicked, then I went back right before fighting Brock and still just barely beat him.

Brock was a bit tough since I chose Charmander, which I expected, but I still just barely scraped through on my first try.

Mt Moon was rough because I was constantly switch training my weaker teammates and so my Charmeleon was getting worn down pretty quick. When I got to that one Rocket with the level 16 Raticate a crit Quick Attack killed my Charmeleon on the switch in and then he swept the rest of my team. :/

Misty was a pain and took multiple attempts since I pretty much had Charmeleon, Paras, and a bunch of filler weaklings. I eventually managed to beat her because I got lucky with paralysis hax. And then right after misty I got killed by the Rocket behind the house in Cerulean with the Drowzee because of gen 1 sleep mechanics bullshit. >_>

After that though my Magikarp evolved on the SS Anne which destroyed everything there and I taught my Paras dig which let it ohko literally everything inside Surge's gym. Rock Tunnel was nothing with Bubblebeam Gyarados to ohko all the rock types and Dig Parasect ohko'd every ghost in Lavender Tower.

Dishwalla

Banned
Does anyone else never use Flash to get through the cave? I love bumbling around through the darkness, fuck Flash, waste of a move.

Wow, is that a Stand By Me reference on TV in your home? It says "There's a movie on TV. Four boys are walking on railroad tracks."

Man I love this game

Trying to catch a Weedle in Pokemon Blue which is 5% same as Pikachu, Currently have my Starter in PC with one Pokemon ATM named Lt. Bite the Rattata.
Attempting keeping my Nicknames androgynous

Hope I can catch a weedle so I can attempt this
e959c777ba.PNG

Yellow is quite amazing when it comes to early Pokemon. You can get Pidgey, Rattata, Nidoran Male, Nidoran Female, Mankey, Spearow, Caterpie, Metapod, and PIDGEOTTO in the wild before the first gym. Yes, there is a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, but it has a 1% appearance rate so get to shuffling.
1%? Shit I got lucky then lol. Didn't even know Pidgeottos were in Virdian here.

Now I'm cheating with a Lv.9 Pidgeotto.

Dunno what my team will end up being. Currently in Mount Moon with a comically overleveled Wartortle, a Zubat, and a Clefairy. I'll probably ditch Clefairy for a Meowth and maybe Zubat for something else.

For sure gonna grab a Bellsprout and make my Eevee a Jolteon, though.

RGBY were never particularly difficult, especially if you were used to playing JRPGs. But it did punish you for playing carelessly.

sgjackson

Is mankey even in viridian in red? I think he starts appearing after mt moon

nah route 22 has nidorans instead. mankey appears on route 5.

fwiw, i'm not really having a hard time so far (about to go beat surge) but i also played a ton of this game as a kid and i'm still largely familiar with its idiosyncrasies.

Top Bottom