• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Velcro Fly

Three more levels until this Spearow learns Drill Peck and I can let it evolve to Fearow

Drowzee is dominating for me with Confusion.

On the way to badge #3 right now!

The simple fun of these games is unmatched for me.

Double the fun watching someone stream themselves playing the game and trading with someone else in the room also playing the game.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I suddenly realise how much I have missed games as straight forward as this. No touchscreen stuff, no fluff just playing
i know it is all optional..still...

Got Yellow since I somehow never played that game, gonna do the mew glitch asap
Also got my Pokemon faceplates in today but one of the screws on my current splatoon one got stripped so I can't put on the bottem one yet :(

So here's my thoughts

1. I forgot how busted the critical hit system was. Seriously, I've seen the opponent critical hit four times in a row!

2. Wrap sucks. Fewer Ekans in Blue is enough for Blue to be the superior version. Seriously though, I do prefer Blue, even though Magmar is easily bottom 10 for worst Pokemon designs. Vulpix/Ninetales is better than anything in Red besides Electabuzz.

3. Zubats are made extra annoying since in the first cave you encounter them, you're not super likely to have anything that can be super effective. No wonder people hate Zubat.

4. My party right now is Geodude, Nidorina, Ivysaur, and Kadabra (I'll be swapping Geodude out for Fire, Water, and Flying Pokemon eventually). It almost feels as though the game does not accommodate players who start out with only a few Pokemon though.

5. It's very evident that the games have become easier over time. I have a habit of forgetting to buy Potions, and doing so hampers me a hell of a lot more than it has in most later generations of Pokemon games.

6. I'm disappointed that for $10, they couldn't give us Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color modes. It just makes it feel as though they charged us a Pokemon tax. :v

7. Is there a way to get Mew in Blue?

8. It's good tho

I thought I'd hate the game after how far the series has come but there's just a certain nostalgic charm that's just keeping me engaged and I'm having a lot of fun.

I didn't even own the original RBY, I just kept borrowing my friend's copy, and that's after Gold/Silver lol.

Arcia

Banned
Hey, just want everyone to know about a really shitty glitch in these games that I just read about:

So apparently if your pokemon levels up 2 levels or more from one fight (usually after gaining a lot of EXP when they are low leveled), they will skip any moves they were supposed to learn in-between those level ups. So if you had a level 8 Pikachu level up after one fight to level 10, you would miss out on learning Thunder Wave (which it would have learned at level 9 in Red and Blue)!

If anyone wants to know about more glitches, this is a good place to look. There were a lot here that I had forgotten about.

Just beat Brock. I completely forgot that it wasn't until Yellow that Butterfree learns Confusion upon evolving, instead learning it at level 12 in RBY.

Working with Butterfree, Pikachu and Charmander in Blue so far.

Pokemaniac

for those with access to custom firmware/homebrew:

The Pokemon VC games can be injected with numerous romhacks. As an example, the pokemon red hack that includes Gold/Silver sprites, B button to dash and exp meter apparently works perfectly:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhpdSCTTw

wvw69i79vuann3jh8kwnbdu.jpg

Also....Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal works too - complete with full link cable support. Presumably transfer to Pokemon Bank would work too.

I wouldn't count on Pokemon Bank transfer working with injected Gen II games. In addition to Gen II Pokemon likely being rejected due to their indexes being glitch Pokemon in Gen I, the save data format of Gen II is different enough that the Bank app would have no idea what it's looking at.

Oh, and I'm reminded of how bad at balancing Game Freak is, lol

1. Pidgey line doesn't learn a single Flying attack until level 28 (if you don't evolve into Pidgeotto) or until you get Fly

2. The obvious one, Dragonite doesn't have any Dragon STAB - like, why is Dragon even weak to Dragon in the first place?

3. Poison sucks and is bad. Its greatest opponent, Psychic, is way too powerful for obvious reasons, and actually does a double-whammy on the Gastly line because Ghost doesn't resist/super-effective Psychic, but being Poison type, gives an already powerful Psychic-type Pokemon priority. Overall it's made worse because Poison is the most common type in the game except for maybe Normal (and even then). 33 Pokemon have Poison as one of their types! Hell, Grass/Poison combo is more common than some types even!

Wow I'm having a blast playing through Yellow again. Just got to Lavender town,

Pikachu 25
Nidoking 27
Clefable 28
Gloom 27
Charmeleon 25

Taking a break for now, glad to see everyone is enjoying!

Had to take a break once my 3DS ran out of juice. Currently in Lavender with:

Ivysaur
Fearow
Ekans (Probably getting replaced)
Kadabra
Dugtrio

So here's my thoughts
6. I'm disappointed that for $10, they couldn't give us Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color modes. It just makes it feel as though they charged us a Pokemon tax. :v

They added wireless "link cable" emulation and Pokemon Box support (although it could be argued that neither of those are really strenuous efforts, they're just unexpected considering Nintendo's emulation history), but despite that, it really does feel like they're charging more for these games not because they put a little extra work into it, but because it's Pokemon and they know we'll pay extra.

EDIT: Admittedly though, the real extra work will come with how Pokemon are "upgraded" to meet the stat requirements of modern generations. The basic features of simulating a link cable and transferring Pokemon data from the game's save file are not complicated and have been manageable by fan tools for years.

They added wireless "link cable" emulation and Pokemon Box support (although it could be argued that neither of those are really strenuous efforts, they're just unexpected considering Nintendo's emulation history), but despite that, it really does feel like they're charging more for these games not because they put a little extra work into it, but because it's Pokemon and they know we'll pay extra.

Yeah, same with how they did EarthBound at $10 :v

I think I'm enjoying this Gen 1 revisit more than the entirety of my time with Gen 6, granted it's still early days at Mt Moon and a heaped spoon of tasty nostalgia.
I'm frequently surprised when entering battles to witness trainers with pokemon at or above my level after the doldrums of Omega Ruby. In any case there's something so satisfyingly pure about the original games, no bozos who I'm forced to be "friends" with, no overarching super legendary plot about taking over the world, just being the very best like no one ever was while occasionally taking the time out to thwart pokemon snatchers.

I think my final team will be Pikachu / Charizard / Blastoise / Venusaur / Primeape / Mew.

Warms my heart to see Primeape among the stars of Gen 1 here.

Arcia

Banned
Oh, and I'm reminded of how bad at balancing Game Freak is, lol

1. Pidgey line doesn't learn a single Flying attack until level 28 (if you don't evolve into Pidgeotto) or until you get Fly

2. The obvious one, Dragonite doesn't have any Dragon STAB - like, why is Dragon even weak to Dragon in the first place?

3. Poison sucks and is bad. Its greatest opponent, Psychic, is way too powerful for obvious reasons, and actually does a double-whammy on the Gastly line because Ghost doesn't resist/super-effective Psychic, but being Poison type, gives an already powerful Psychic-type Pokemon priority. Overall it's made worse because Poison is the most common type in the game except for maybe Normal (and even then). 33 Pokemon have Poison as one of their types! Hell, Grass/Poison combo is more common than some types even!

Fun thing about Gen 1 that makes some generally bad types slightly more useful: in these games Bug and Poison type are supereffective against each other. That means a Bug type like Beedrill can actually take out most of Team Rocket's and Koga's team pretty easily with Twin Needle.

Drago

Reached Mt. Moon, took quite a while before finally finding Clefairy... was able to find three Pikachus in Viridian Forest without even trying though >_>

Currently rocking Wartortle, Pidgey, and Clefairy (will prob evolve as soon as I get the moon stone). Planning on getting Vulpix, Bellsprout, and Meowth as soon as I can catch em. Good times all around :)

V-Faction

I have my original Red, Blue, and Yellow cartridges sitting in my computer desk drawer right next to me. Not too long ago, I deleted my Red save and replayed the games with an all-Poison Team. The Pokemon were:

- Venusaur
- Beedrill
- Haunter
- Arbok
- Golbat
- Nidoking
- Eventually Snorlax to replace Beedrill

The main impetus being Poison (or Toxic) + Wrap mechanics, cause that shit was BROKEN. But also, Kanto/Gen 1 just had so many Poison Pokemon to choose from, developing a themed team from the beginning (starting with Bulbasaur) was a fun challenge to see if I could do.

Right now, I'm debating if I should download these at all, because as I said I have my original carts right here in perfect condition. The one enticing thing about these eShop releases is being able to transfer the Pokemon into Sun/Moon towards the future. That's cool, and something I didn't think was going to happen at all. I do consider Yellow to be quite different from Red/Blue, so maybe that one if any at all.

Eight turns in a row where I couldn't attack due to paralysis

The worst part of that is that even though I'm pretty sure they fixed it, the later games STILL feel like they screw you rotten with bad luck. Seriously, I've certainly never seen an opponent have that bad of luck

Alright so I am super confused about this but how does getting the Red/Blue games linked to your NintendoID work if they are pre-loaded on the new 3ds. I just got the 20th Anniversary edition Pokemon 3ds and I don't want to mess up getting the games on my account.

Anyone already do this with there account?

Oh also, fuck Sand-Attack. Seriously! Every other non-Rocket trainer seems to have a Pidgey early game, and those Pidgeys always have Sand-Attack.

In the newer games, Snorlax gets the Immunity ability alongside just 2 other Pokemon. I thought it was thematically appropriate to have this Pokemon immune to Poison among a Poison-type team. He's like the White Ranger, or something.

Plus, Beedrill wasn't pulling its weight. I needed a big bruiser.

Fair enough I suppose, but doesn't Nidoking fit the bill?

Also dawg you needed Tentacruel!

V-Faction

Fair enough I suppose, but doesn't Nidoking fit the bill?

Also dawg you needed Tentacruel!

I'm looking right now, he's actually in my Box. And he has Wrap for more mechanic abuse.

Turns out I had Nidoking with Surf instead of Tentacruel. So perhaps it was a type coverage thing. Also, Snorlax has Double Team + Rest. Huh, so maybe I was just being cheap.

Alright so I am super confused about this but how does getting the Red/Blue games linked to your NintendoID work if they are pre-loaded on the new 3ds. I just got the 20th Anniversary edition Pokemon 3ds and I don't want to mess up getting the games on my account.

Anyone already do this with there account?
If you're transferring your old 3DS stuff onto the new one, you'll just have to redownload them. The licenses on each system merge.

Top Bottom