• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

I find going through with a team of 5 to be better than a team of 6. 6 spreads the experience too thin for my liking. Slot #6 can be an HM slave. Or, you can just solo with one Pokemon and crush everyone that way. A Blastoise with Surf/Blizzard or Ice Beam/Dig or Earthquake/Normal Move will crush most everything.

Charmeleon is so bad. I taught him Cut because I needed a reason not to just drop him.

His movepool is crippling, and he lacks any sort of utility or niche that isn't better filled by Fearow (or Dodrio later in the game)...

I never used Charizard in the original games (I picked Bulbasaur back in the 90s). He needs Flamethrower at a better level than the mid 40s. It's ridiculous. He's sort of hanging on now, in the mid 20s, but once I hit the 30s, Ember just isn't going to cut it anymore. He shouldn't be three shotting Grass types 2 levels under him.

Fire types aren't any good in this game. You can play with them out of personal preference, but everyone except Charizard lacks move variety, and most of them have misaligned stats that don't prioritize their Fire type (which always runs off the Special stat in Gen 1). Other types cover Fire strengths much better (Ice mainly, because Blizzard is broken good in this Gen). If you want to use them for fun purposes, by all means. But if you're wondering why they don't seem to pull their weight, that's why.

1%? Shit I got lucky then lol. Didn't even know Pidgeottos were in Virdian here.

Now I'm cheating with a Lv.9 Pidgeotto.

1% huh? I found one on my second encounter in there and mauled it for the exp.
A wise man once said...
"If you want to pick it up it doesn't show up, when you don't know it's rare it'll surely be there"

Delio

Kadabra holding it's own so fast is always lovely. Sadly I battled the trainers already for the Mew Glitch so that's fine.

Log 2:

Trained Nixon (Rattata) to level 10, then went to Route 2 and got a Pidgey, named him Bill (after his Secret Service codename, "Eagle", apparently).

Sweet merciful Helix some of these Gen 1 movepools are fascinatingly bad.
Scyther can't learn a single bug or flying type move, so much for STAB, I guess his only gimmick is another speedy slasher, the red version edition.
No wonder I never used it until Fire Red.

Scyther can't learn a single bug or flying type move, so much for STAB, I guess his only gimmick is another speedy slasher, the red version edition.

A lot of Pokemon are worthless due to botched move sets. There are not even strong ghost, dragon, or big moves in the entire game.

darthbob

I just walked past the Nintendo store in NYC. Huge line to get into the store. Looks like they're giving away a code for mew!

If you happen to get extras, spread the wealth here please lol

forgot that gamestop stopped on the 24th, missed my shot :(

I just used Dig on accident and ended up back in Pewter City............FUCK!

That reminds me of something.

tumblr_n1d2tbwiw21tt9kfuo1_500.gif

Heropon

I remember back then the enemy machops critting all the time with karate chop, and now its power is mine. I'm so gonna beat Gary and his haughty Eevee.

A lot of Pokemon are worthless due to botched move sets. There are not even strong ghost, dragon, or big moves in the entire game.
Those psychic types will feel the wrath of Twin needle and lick.

I never played the remakes, but how are they in comparison?

I hear bad things.

Disappointing music remixes aside I've always found it a great revamp of Gen 1.
One thing I really liked is that since the game used R/S/E TMs they dotted a few NPC move tutors around who dished out some of the original TMs of Red/Blue.

woopWOOP

I hear bad things.
The music is.... different. I kind of like it now, but I remember it being a huge letdown at first compared to the original's chiptunes.

Other than that it's a great substitute to playing the originals IMO. It even has an extra, optional pair of islands where you can eventually catch a few gen2 Pokemon (all post-gen1 monsters and evolutions, including things like Golbat's love evolution, are disabled until you beat the elite 4 once).

aadiboy

Trying to decide between Red and Yellow. Yellow has color and some extras, but I dont know...Red seems more authentic to me. I played Blue as a kid so I'm taking that out of the running.

trixx

amn 12.49 in Canada for yellow =/, i'll buy I love this game.

I would get blue but I don't know..

ehh $15 with the tax. Idk I could buy some awesome gba games on wii u

I could buy golden sun 2

Revven

Went and decided to snag just Yellow for now. Not sure what my team is gonna be but I'm going to be futzing about I guess catching a bunch of stuff.

sgjackson

just got to rock tunnel with pikachu, drowzee, gloom, wartortle, fearow, and nidoking. having a ton of fun, going to peel myself away to handle some irl stuff so i can play more tonight.

Oh cool. I buy $10 in eshop credit to buy a $9.99 only to find out I'm $.61 short thanks to taxes. Now I gotta use my credit card to pay $.61. God lord I hate that shit so much. We need a better tax system or something.

batfax

So there's seriously no color at all on Red/Blue? I can't do the fun thing where while it started up I can hold a direction/button and make the colors all different-y and stuff? 'cause I loved doing that as a kid. Trying to decide between Red and Yellow and definitely leaning Yellow if that's the case.

Dishwalla

Banned
So there's seriously no color at all on Red/Blue? I can't do the fun thing where while it started up I can hold a direction/button and make the colors all different-y and stuff? 'cause I loved doing that as a kid. Trying to decide between Red and Yellow and definitely leaning Yellow if that's the case.

It's because Red and Blue are running on a Game Boy emulator, not a Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance emulator. Yellow is running on a Game Boy Color emulator.

Crayolan

I hear bad things.

They're okay, but IMO a lot of the charm of the gen 1 games comes from the jank that gen 1 is so notorious for, which of course the remakes lack. Then there's also the inferior remixes, the total lockout of later gen pokemon in the main game (including new evolutions of gen 1 pokemon), and the Sevii Islands being pretty boring despite being the primary new content added to the game. And since they're gen 3 games, they still lack the physical/special split, so despite being newer versions they still feel pretty old.

They're not bad, but they're no HGSS.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah, some Pokémon move pool weren't the best back then and only got better as time went on.

I hear bad things.

The gen 1 remake aren't bad but they kinda do play it too close to the original to the point that you can't use any Pokémon outside the original 151 because fuck you nostalgia is where it's at.

What the music is pretty good, it's no-where near on the same level as Sonic Brotherhood bad.

I don't get why people keep saying that it's bad.

Heropon

Just got Charmander in yellow and no casualties so far but I get nervous everytime the opponent has a Rattata. Those hyper fangs hurt.

Sandshrew's slash crits a lot of times for such a slow pokemon. Now I understand why Persian is so good this gen.

Velcro Fly

I gave up on Growlithe when the wild ones roared me out of a random battle four times.

Just mauled Erika with a combo of Drill Peck from Fearow and Psychic from Hypno. Hell even Dig from Dugtrio did well since most of the gym is half poison.

Top Bottom