• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Sillution

I have a silly question.. I just got a New 3ds XL and downloaded Pokemon yellow. The top screen while I'm playing keeps fading and then brightening, then fades then brightens. Is this not supposed to happen?

I have a silly question.. I just got a New 3ds XL and downloaded Pokemon yellow. The top screen while I'm playing keeps fading and then brightening, then fades then brightens. Is this not supposed to happen?
Take auto brightness off. Go to home menu and click the top left corner.

You probably have auto-brightness on.

Home menu > top left of the screen > auto-brightness.

ZugZug123

So I got the new 3DS with both Red and Blue. Any way to trade between the 2 games? Not sure if this has been touched on, but this thread is already 27 pages long, hard to look back.

Richie

Yeah after doing some research it seems I'm SOU with the Mew glitch if I already fought the three trainers in Cerulean. Oh well. I'll still get Mew one way or the other.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I got the new 3DS with both Red and Blue. Any way to trade between the 2 games? Not sure if this has been touched on, but this thread is already 27 pages long, hard to look back.

You need another 3DS with the game, you cannot trade if both Red and Blue are on the same 3DS.

I only have one local friend with a 3ds for real. I got Blue and I think he'a getting yellow. If he trades me Charmander, for example, and I trade it right back to him, will Charmander still be considered owned for me? And if so, can we potentially get all 151 pokemon?

Richie

I only have one local friend with a 3ds for real. I got Blue and I think he'a getting yellow. If he trades me Charmander, for example, and I trade it right back to him, will Charmander still be considered owned for me? And if so, can we potentially get all 151 pokemon?

Yep! Once in your Pokédex, always in your Pokédex.

Log 3:

Just evolved Lincoln (Charmander) to a Charmeleon.

Get ready Brock, I never told a lie and I won't start now, you're a horse with a limp and I'll put you down.

Sora_N

I wrecked Brock using my Bulbasaur. <3

I don't think I actually used Bulbasaur in RB, only did Charizard and Blastoise.

That's why I'm doing it this run.

Is Pokebank working to transfer from Red -> Blue/Yellow?

Pokemaniac

I wrecked Brock using my Bulbasaur. <3

I don't think I actually used Bulbasaur in RB, only did Charizard and Blastoise.

That's why I'm doing it this run.

Pokemon Bank has not received the update for supporting RBY yet. Also, from how they described it, it will only allow transfers to current gen, not between the Gen I games.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Unlikely, when they use the word "transfer" it usually suggest that the process is one way.

No, but even in HGSS it was really late in the game to be that usefull.

Yeah that was annoying, they had a cool item but stupidly locked it post game and even then you still had to defeat all the Kanto gym leaders to get it rendering the item useless.

They might as well not bothered.

Pilgrimzero

I had Yellow at one time and never finished it. Pokemon was "after my time" and I only bought it to see what the big dead was.

I've tried a couple more games in the series since then the last one being a 3DS one. Same thing, just can't get into them for some reason.

BUT I may give Yellow another shot.

Edit: $9.99 for a gameboy game! Yea I dont think so.

Macka

Started Yellow about an hour ago. Just demolished Brock with Mankey.

The team so far:

Nidoran&#9794; Lv. 9
Pidgey Lv.10
Mankey Lv. 10
Pikachu Lv. 10

My Pikachu gets crits at an alarming rate which is pretty handy.

Honestly, I have a shit-ton of nostalgia for RBY but my frustrations with the limitations these last few days just had me buy Pokemon Y and Omega Ruby

Shizuka

And in the blink of an eye, I'm already at Lavender. Well, not the blink of an eye, I've been playing this for eight hours today...

Sora_N

Pokemon Bank has not received the update for supporting RBY yet. Also, from how they described it, it will only allow transfers to current gen, not between the Gen I games.

Unlikely, when they use the word "transfer" it usually suggest that the process is one way.

Yeah that was annoying, they had a cool item but stupidly locked it post game and even then you still had to defeat all the Kanto gym leaders to get it rendering the item useless.

They might as well not bothered.

:'( damn

btkadams

So the Mew glitch in Yellow is hilariously easy. I could NEVER get rumoured Mew glitches to work when I played RBY around release. The really well-known one for Yellow is so easy (just google it as soon as you get to Cerulean City).

Having a blast with this game! Really brings back memories.

Current team is:
Pikachu
Charmander
Ivysaur
Mew
Sandshrew (HM slave)

DeVeAn

What a sad, Mew-less existence.

I don't blame you. I just got carried away with the fact that obtaining Mew was so frickin easy.
Oh yes, it's tempting but I have like 4 Mew in my Bank from over the years so no big. Did the glitch in 1999 and it killed the experience after&#128557;

So, I was gonna dust my 3DS off and pick up Yellow or Red..but I can't find my damn charger. =(

I was tempted before to pick up a 2DS, but maybe I should go for an XL or New 3DS? Primarily, in case Sun & Moon have enhanced features and I prefer larger screens.

Any advice of what is a good 3DS to pick up? I've never double dipped before, and I don't want to spend too much.. but Pokemon.

Having been playing pokemon yellow for like the entire day. Taking a break, here is where my team stands:
  • Drizzle/Wartortle Lvl 16
  • Onion/Gloom Lvl 31
  • Pickle/Dugtrio Lvl 28
  • Magneto/Magnemite Lvl 17
  • Victor/Pidgeotto Lvl 27
  • Lucky/Hypno Lvl 26

So far, very happy with this team, but I have to train Magneto and Wartortle to get them to their 30s at least.

Already at Saffron City and the Silph Co section will be difficult. More grinding ahead!

Dragoshi1

Beat Brock. Won by spamming String Shot, Growl, and Sand attack on Geodude and Onix, followed by a slow but worth it beat down by Butterfree.

Current Team;

Charmander/Blaze IV
Butterfree/Wormy
Nidoran(f)/Maria
Kakuna/Prickle
Pidgey/Buddy III
Ratata/Fangy

robotrock

Banned
So, I was gonna dust my 3DS off and pick up Yellow or Red..but I can't find my damn charger. =(

I was tempted before to pick up a 2DS, but maybe I should go for an XL or New 3DS? Primarily, in case Sun & Moon have enhanced features and I prefer larger screens.

Any advice of what is a good 3DS to pick up? I've never double dipped before, and I don't want to spend too much.. but Pokemon.
Just buy a new charger now. Once they go and announce more details about sun/moon and whether or not it'll have exclusive features for the New 3DS version, you can decide what system you want.

If you happen to want a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, it doesn't even include a charger, so I recommend still buying one now.

Just buy a new charger now. Once they go and announce more details about sun/moon and whether or not it'll have exclusive features for the New 3DS version, you can decide what system you want.

If you happen to want a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, it doesn't even include a charger, so I recommend still buying one now.

Dammit Nintendo.
I still can't believe they did that. :lol

If I buy Pokemon Yellow, could I transfer it to a potential new 3DS down the line?

Log 5:

Brock down, it was much easier than I thought, started with Buchanan and switched to Lincoln so I could get some nice XP. Time to evolve Buchanan to a Beedrill and get everyone to 16 so I won't get surprised by a random trainer.

I also got the Magikarp on Route 3, nicknamed him Obama. He has amazing DVs, one 15, three over 10.

Playing these again reminds me just how out of touch folks are when they say "stop complaining about the easy difficulty, Pokemon was never hard".

The trek through the first couple gyms is so much more rewarding than in newer games. Yeah, it's not hard, but it's also not painfully easy either. Playing casually I had to make a few trips to get through Viridian Forest, and I had to put a minor amount of effort into prepping for Brock. I was never really that close to blacking out because I'm good at the games, but I came closer than I have in a long time. All the recent games I've mindlessly plowed through, with no real strategy and no repercussions for my lack of attention.

Heals are plenty, items are less necessary, and I almost never get partway through a route or cave and think "oh man I might not make it!".

No, Pokemon was never really hard, but it used to require more of an effort.

Velcro Fly

Got four badges

Team is:

Blastoise - 36
Hypno - 37
Dugtrio - 36
Fearow - 36

At the point in the game where I can do one of the two paths to Fuchsia or do the Silph building in Saffron. Basically level grind from mid 30s to mid 40s and then do two gyms and a couple other boss fights.

Always felt like the game could have used another big dungeon at the end of the game besides Victory Road.

robotrock

Banned

Dammit Nintendo.
I still can't believe they did that. :lol

If I buy Pokemon Yellow, could I transfer it to a potential new 3DS down the line?

Yup, with a full system transfer.
Don't buy another 3DS if you already have one, not with the impending release of the next portable.

This is also some valid advice. Don't know if you could transfer your 3DS data to the next portable. Don't even know if that next portable will be backwards compatible.

Cindro

I forgot how painfully slow these games are, haha.

Still love it, though - despite the glacial UI and movement pacing, there are some genuinely incredible things about this in the context of a video game from 1996 on a tiny handheld cartridge.

Also, I'm not sure if these pro-tips have been mentioned yet or not, but:

Hold Start and Select when booting up the game to display the OG Gameboy system as a border, and

Hold L + R, then tap Y to toggle between Black and White view and Green Tint view

In case anyone was wondering, Gameboy Border + Green Tint is the only canonical way to play Red and Blue!

I forgot how painfully slow these games are, haha.

Still love it, though - despite the glacial UI and movement pacing, there are some genuinely incredible things about this in the context of a [I[video game from 1996 on a tiny handheld cartridge[/I].

Also, I'm not sure if these pro-tips have been mentioned yet or not, but:

Hold Start and Select when booting up the game to display the OG Gameboy system as a border, and

Hold L + R, then tap Y to toggle between Black and White view and Green Tint view

In case anyone was wondering, Gameboy Border + Green Tint is the only canonical way to play Red and Blue!

Unless you started with a GBC like me and don't have access to those glorious red and blue filters like I remember

Magikarp is so annoying to level up.

R.I.P. Pidgey...just got crit by a Rattata...I was hoping to take you to End Game but I guess I'll have to replace you with Spearow after all...

Top Bottom