• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Gsnap

Playing these again reminds me just how out of touch folks are when they say "stop complaining about the easy difficulty, Pokemon was never hard".

The trek through the first couple gyms is so much more rewarding than in newer games. Yeah, it's not hard, but it's also not painfully easy either. Playing casually I had to make a few trips to get through Viridian Forest, and I had to put a minor amount of effort into prepping for Brock. I was never really that close to blacking out because I'm good at the games, but I came closer than I have in a long time. All the recent games I've mindlessly plowed through, with no real strategy and no repercussions for my lack of attention.

Heals are plenty, items are less necessary, and I almost never get partway through a route or cave and think "oh man I might not make it!".

No, Pokemon was never really hard, but it used to require more of an effort.

I just restarted X to play through a nuzlocke in order to compare it to the nuzlocke I just started in Yellow..... It is absurdly easy in comparison. Not just in raw numbers (though those may be in your favor as well), but the entire design philosophy is changed to make things easier for the player. The rival you fight at the beginning of the game chooses the pokemon weak against yours, unlike older games. And your pokemon starts off with a move of its type instead of just tackle or scratch, so victory is guaranteed. Then they heal your pokemon right afterwards. In the first forest, there are far fewer mandatory grass patches to walk through, and your "rival" walks around with you, and talking to her heals all your pokemon. Poison doesn't hurt you at all outside of battle. So many little things like that. It's a pretty significant shift in design philosophy.

Krabboss

I just restarted X to play through a nuzlocke in order to compare it to the nuzlocke I just started in Yellow..... It is absurdly easy in comparison. Not just in raw numbers (though those may be in your favor as well), but the entire design philosophy is changed to make things easier for the player. The rival you fight at the beginning of the game chooses the pokemon weak against yours, unlike older games. And your pokemon starts off with a move of its type instead of just tackle or scratch, so victory is guaranteed. Then they heal your pokemon right afterwards. In the first forest, there are far fewer mandatory grass patches to walk through, and your "rival" walks around with you, and talking to her heals all your pokemon. Poison doesn't hurt you at all outside of battle. So many little things like that. It's a pretty significant shift in design philosophy.

Yeah because there's no use pretending the games are difficult.

In the original games, your victory over your rival was decided by RNG on your pokemon's stat rolls and whether the AI decided to tail whip instead of just killing you. It wasn't difficult and there's no reason to pretend it was.

The Battle Maison in new games is more difficult than anything in the original games.

JoeM86

That player isn't your rival. Your actual rival is the other gender main character and they have the Pokémon strong against you

Yrael

Have beaten Cerulean Gym. My team is now:

- Pikachu (Lvl 22)
- Mankey (Lvl 20)
- Charmander (Lvl 14)
- Pidgeotto (Lvl 17)
- Mew (Lvl 13)

soccergod

Banned

Except its not, the things you mentioned is pure grind, not difficulty. I dont understand why anyone thinks these games are difficult, ANY of them when its literally just about level grind.

on a different note, i bought the n3ds pokemon edition today, and im wondering, is it possible to load VC games on multiple 3ds? I have a n3ds XL and now the n3ds standard, and would like to have the pokemon r/b on both, but i know nintendo has been a pain when it comes to this. The fact that you cant even cloud save is agitating as hell

Have beaten Cerulean Gym. My team is now:

- Pikachu (Lvl 22)
- Mankey (Lvl 20)
- Charmander (Lvl 14)
- Pidgeotto (Lvl 17)
- Mew (Lvl 13)

haha really? Seems like this would make the game impossibly easy no?

I need to find that image which tells me how to get Mew

You've always been healed after the rival battle. Always. Always and forever. What you going to do if your Charmander faints in a town with no Pokemon Center? You'd be Pokefucked that's what.

Jaagen

I'm trying to catch an Abra in order to execute the Mew glitch, but I recently discovered that he's unaffected by sleep powder. Any tips on how to catch him? Just spam Pokeballs and hope for the best?

Gsnap

Yeah because there's no use pretending the games are difficult.

In the original games, your victory over your rival was decided by RNG on your pokemon's stat rolls and whether the AI decided to tail whip instead of just killing you. It wasn't difficult and there's no reason to pretend it was.

The Battle Maison in new games is more difficult than anything in the original games.

Never said the older games were difficult. They're just more difficult than newer games. They're all easy because the AI has always been garbage. (and yeah, battle maison is great, but it's kind of boring to just be matches after matches. I'd like to see more of that incorporated into the main game)

Except its not, the things you mentioned is pure grind, not difficulty. I dont understand why anyone thinks these games are difficult, ANY of them when its literally just about level grind.

True. Pokemon games have never been that difficult, but the modern conveniences of newer gens have removed any amount of difficulty that was there. Normally that would be a good thing, but the developers have not compensated for it. We know they can make more interesting battles with better team setups and a little better AI because of things like Battle Maison. But they don't put any of that in the main game, so all the modern conveniences make the games too easy for their own good. A balance would be nice..

You've always been healed after the rival battle. Always. Always and forever. What you going to do if your Charmander faints in a town with no Pokemon Center? You'd be Pokefucked that's what.

I don't recall it being that way, but ok.

That player isn't your rival. Your actual rival is the other gender main character and they have the Pokémon strong against you

¬_¬

Come on, Joe. Don't focus on semantics just so you can ignore the overall point. When the first battle of the game is against a pokemon weak against your type rather than strong against it, you know the design philosophy has changed. I like a lot of the mdoern conveniences they've added over the years, but when my friend follows me around the first area giving me infinite heals you know things have gone too far. I'd like them to try to strike a balance.

toa95

Deciding to name every Pokemon I catch in yellow some form of '- - - - - - -Rat' (Pikachu is ThunderRat, Rattata is DirtyRat, Mankey is AngryRat so on and so forth). Hoping I can somehow keep up this naming scheme, my magikarp shall be SplashaRat.

Forkball

Christ how am I supposed to get an Abra on Route 5? I need it for the Mew glitch. I have a Jigglypuff with sing but it's too slow to go first, and throwing Pokeballs on the first turn haven't worked.

Jaagen

Christ how am I supposed to get an Abra on Route 5? I need it for the Mew glitch. I have a Jigglypuff with sing but it's too slow to go first, and throwing Pokeballs on the first turn haven't worked.

I have the same issue, except that I have a Butterfree with sleep powder, and sleep powder doesn't work on Abra. I guess I we just have to spam balls and hope for the best(but it's super annoying with that low encounter rate)

Dishwalla

Banned

Luck. You can try to paralyze it if you have a Pikachu and hope it's Teleport fails on it's turn, which there's always a chance of happening.

Tingle

I have the same issue, except that I have a Butterfree with sleep powder, and sleep powder doesn't work on Abra. I guess I we just have to spam balls and hope for the best(but it's super annoying with that low encounter rate)

Why doesn't sleep powder work on Abra?

Yrael

haha really? Seems like this would make the game impossibly easy no?

I need to find that image which tells me how to get Mew

I did ponder whether or not to actually use Mew in my team, since up until then everything had been so reminiscent of the way I played the first gen games in the '90s...but then I thought, "Fuck it, ten year old me would've been thrilled to play through the game with a Mew." :p

It's not too game-breaking to have it in my team for now, since the TM moves that I want to teach it aren't available until later on. For now all it knows is Pound and Transform (I don't think it learns Psychic until Level 40).

Please tell me R/G use the old sprites.

Heck yeah, they do. I barely recognize half the Pokemon! Ekans and Geodude are barely recognizable!

Super disappointed they didn't do this for Europe also. I was obsessed with the boxes and would look at them all the time as a kid :(

Tell me about it! I still have my PAL Pokemon Red box. If they'd made boxed download codes for the PAL versions, too, I'd've probably double dipped :S
It's pretty awesome how they made these 2DS boxes resemble the original game boxes!

Krabboss

Don't know. I try to use it, but it say's "It doesn't affect Abra". I guess it's one of those moves that doesn't work on certain types.

Sleep Powder is a grass type, which can affect Psychic types. It's probably just missing. It doesn't have even close to 100% accuracy.

Chopper

I'm trying to catch an Abra in order to execute the Mew glitch, but I recently discovered that he's unaffected by sleep powder. Any tips on how to catch him? Just spam Pokeballs and hope for the best?

Level up Jigglypuff so that it has a Speed stat of about 20-25. Around level 12/13 should do it. In fact, I evolved him to Wiggly. It's pretty straightforward after that.

Forkball

Level up Jigglypuff so that it has a Speed stat of about 20-25. Around level 12/13 should do it. In fact, I evolved him to Wiggly. It's pretty straightforward after that.
He's level 9 with 10 speed. You got the king of Jigglypuffs or something.

Every time I throw the ball on the first turn, it does exactly one shake and then breaks. Every single time. One time Thunder Wave held him in place for a turn, where it did 1.5 shakes, but that was the closest I've come. The game even taunted me by giving me three Abras in a row and allowing them to escape each time.

GIMME MEW

Chopper

He's level 9 with 10 speed. You got the king of Jigglypuffs or something.

Every time I throw the ball on the first turn, it does exactly one shake and then breaks. Every single time. One time Thunder Wave held him in place for a turn, where it did 1.5 shakes, but that was the closest I've come. The game even taunted me by giving me three Abras in a row and allowing them to escape each time.

GIMME MEW
Hmmm. Well I definitely evolved him. I can't remember the level. I've done so much grinding over the last 24 hours, everything's a bit of a blur.

Yrael

Karate chop's a normal type move... Wha?

That threw me off so much, lol. Same with Gust not being a Flying type move.

blink.gif

mitchlol

Anyone able to post some screen shots of how it looks on the 3DS, I remember having a gameboy colour back in the day and I was able to apply different colour schemes to pokemon. I preferred to use the inverse colour option made everything look cool and neon.

Anyone able to post some screen shots of how it looks on the 3DS, I remember having a gameboy colour back in the day and I was able to apply different colour schemes to pokemon. I preferred to use the inverse colour option made everything look cool and neon.

I don't have screenshots but, with the GBC borders, it's pretty much pixel perfect.

Firemind

Do you guys accept gift Pokemon? Getting Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle and later Eevee for free is kind of unfair lol.

On the other hand, in the box you go, Pikachu!

sonto340

Fairly certain these filters aren't available, which is a huge bummer.

NZerker12

Woo got my two Mews. The first one put up quite the fight, had to use 18/20 pokeballs I had to get it. The second Mew on the otherhand only took 3 pokeballs.

Now I need to know whether I should use one of them as a HM slave.

Richie

Karate Chop is pretty much Critical Hit: The Move. 3 times out of 5 my Mankey's pulled a Crit with it (and other trainers' Machops have done likewise).

Yeah Gust not being a Flying type move really threw me off, as did Bug and Poison being super effective against each other.

Surprised to hear Karate Chop isn't a Fighting type move in this too. Weird.

So what is the absolute earliest in the game you can pull the mew glitch?

Also whats with the abra?
I dont recall abra being involved with it.

Yrael

So what is the absolute earliest in the game you can pull the mew glitch?

Also whats with the abra?
I dont recall abra being involved with it.

This post a few pages back explained it well:

Early Game method (before Fly and Misty):
Things you need: A Pokemon with Teleport (Abra), Healing at the Cerulean Pokemon Center, Poke Balls bought before doing the glitch, Having a Pokemon that can handle a level 15-ish Water Type in front, Saving before any of this happens
1. You must find a trainer who's visual range (a ! appears over their head and they walk towards you to fight you) is long enough that it will occur when their sprite is loaded onto the screen. For this method, choose the Jr. Trainer who is hiding in the Grass next to Nugget Bridge on Route 24.
2. Moving south from the top of the screen, press Start just as his sprite loads, go to the Pokemon menu, and use Abra's Teleport (or in later methods, Fly). This will take you back to the Cerulean Pokemon Center. The ! animation will play, but the trainer will not move towards you and you will Teleport. (To practice pressing start as he loads, move against the cliff wall instead of in his line of sight and move south. If you do mess up and get into a battle with him, reset the game to your last save).
3. Once you have escaped the battle with Teleport, you will notice the start button doesn't work. This is normal. Now you must find one of two trainers: The Swimmer at the front of Misty's Gym if you haven't beaten her yet, or the Youngster on Route 25 who is standing with his back against some shrubs and facing north. Whatever you do, DO NOT just talk to or get right in front of the trainer you choose, you have to let them walk to you. Fight them and win. Your Start Menu now works.
4. This step depends on the trainer you fought. If it was the Swimmer, leave Misty's Gym and walk up to Nugget Bridge until your start menu opens on its own. If it was the Youngster, either walk back to Nugget Bridge or Teleport back to Cerulean and walk up to Nugget Bridge and your Start Menu will open. Before closing the menu, get your Pokemon-catching Pokemon out in front.
5. Closing the menu starts a wild battle with Mew.
Note: Do not fight any wild Pokemon or buy anything or heal at the center after fighting the second trainer. It can cause freezes or glitch trainers to appear instead of Mew.

Here's a video of it working

1) So I can get a mew in cerulean city using the mew glitch?

2) Can we trade over wifi or no? If not, can I glitch pokemon like alakazam into my game?

3) Is it possible to glitch and duplicate TMs in yellow?

Edit: went back to the op and see i canntt trade online so if I can get one in yellow mew will be my psychic type of choice.

Top Bottom