• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Oh my god they had to be deliberately fucking with kids with some of these

Yes, yes they did. Fuck those Oak tips. I was mad as shit at my young self because I thought I wasn't playing the game right. It took another random kid to tell me his older brother said some of those Oak tips were nothing but lies for me to get over it.

1) So I can get a mew in cerulean city using the mew glitch?

2) Can we trade over wifi or no? If not, can I glitch pokemon like alakazam into my game?

3) Is it possible to glitch and duplicate TMs in yellow?

1)Yup

2)Local only, but the Mew glitch can be used to obtain any Pokemon.

3)Yes, by using the mew glitch to encounter Missingno., though you need a bit of luck to have it not crash your game on encounter.

Once you get to Fuschia city you can find wild Ditto and have them transform into your Pokemon. That way the special stat of your pokemon will be used for the Mew Glitch and you have total control over your encounters.

For those who dont know you can duplicate items in yellow. Heres how

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOIre_ghyI

1)Yup

2)Local only, but the Mew glitch can be used to obtain any Pokemon.

3)Yes, by using the mew glitch to encounter Missingno., though you need a bit of luck to have it not crash your game on encounter.

Once you get to Fuschia city you can find wild Ditto and have them transform into your Pokemon. That way the special stat of your pokemon will be used for the Mew Glitch and you have total control over your encounters.

Thanks, man.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I just brought Pokémon Yellow from the e-shop so I can officially retire my cart version, though I will use it for Pokémon Stadium. :D

They should totally put the Stadium games up on the Wii U virtual console.

Did people manage to catch Mew in a Pokeball because I had it down to red and paralysed and it just wouldn't stay in?

Yeah I caught Mew in a Pokéball, you just keep trying as Mew will eventually go in.

Yrael

Hmmm, okay, now that my Mew has learned Mega Punch, it's wiping the floor with just about every Pokemon it meets. Maybe this is going to make the game a bit too easy...

Still, I couldn't resist - I went ahead and caught a second Mew using the Cerulean city glitch (this time with the trainer on route 25 rather than the trainer in the gym). I think I'll use this one as a HM slave...lmao.

Did people manage to catch Mew in a Pokeball because I had it down to red and paralysed and it just wouldn't stay in?

Yep. I'd recommend having at least 20 Poke balls. The second Mew took me 17 tries even while down to red and paralysed (while the first one was caught almost straight away).

Galdius

Just arrived in Celadon and my team is this:

Alakazam - lvl 29
Dugtrio - lvl 30
Pidgeotto - lvl 29
Wartortle - lvl 29
Mew - lvl 29

The sixth slot is for any pokemon with a HM that I will need for some part.

ShyMel

Glad I'm not the only one who forgot gust being a normal move in gen one. Took the trainer in Mt.Moon with a Bellsprout for me to finally look at the type description in the game.😅

Heropon

V22S86C.jpg

I can't believe how many times I've lost time because of this slope.

Caught a Venonat in route 25 and I've called it Quad. I suppose it will be good substitute if Buggy the Butterfree dies.

Mr-Joker

Banned
V22S86C.jpg

I can't believe how many times I've lost time because of this slope.

Ah slope Twitch plays Pokémon Red biggest foe.

Anyway Cerulean City is such a odd city as there is no easy way to leave the city as the route from Mt. Moon is one way and there are trees blocking the path to the South of the city meaning you can't leave unless you have cut.

So the only way to leave is to go through a person who was robbed house, steal his TM for dig and make your way to Vermilion City.

Noobcraft

Stuck at the slots. I've gotten up to 1500 credits but the RNG switches are killing me. It's like the hot slot is only good for 700 credits

Forkball

Is there ANY other way to do the Mew glitch if you've already beat the slowpoke kid?

Beat the first trainer in Misty's gym. He should have a Horsea and a Shellder.

I now have TWO MEWS. There are still two trainers who I haven't fought near Bill's house, so I'm gonna duplicate the glitch and see what pops up with those two.

I seem to remember a pokeball appearing next to wild pokemon's names when you had already caught that one. Was that not a feature in these versions?

ShadowOwl

First time ever using the Mew glitch (only really kenw abou the Missingno one back when I was young). Pretty easy thing to do. :)

Wait what? Why?
Because Yellow doesn't feature all the missing Pokémon of either Red or Blue. Still Yellow is the only Game which allows you to get all of the starters and several Eevees without restarting the game.

I seem to remember a pokeball appearing next to wild pokemon's names when you had already caught that one. Was that not a feature in these versions?
Feature of Gen 2 Gold, Silver, Crystal). I think there are hacks for Gen 1 adding that feature (and those can be injected into the VC versions via homebrew).

Yrael

Remember everyone you can get two Mews by fighting the slowpoke kid and first swimmer in Misty gym.

You can get even more Mews by using the Ditto glitch (as long as there are still trainers around to battle with).

The trick is the special stat of the last Pokemon battled. The Slowpoke kid and the trainer in Misty's gym yield a Mew because the special stat of the last Pokemon in their party is 21, the same as Mew's index number. If you happen to have a Pokemon with this special stat number, then getting it to fight a Ditto will result in that Ditto using Transform and gaining a special stat of 21 in the process.

Forkball

Nope, I believe that was first added in Gen II. Yup, it's annoying.

Did the Mew glitch with two trainers near Bill's house and I got into battles with Nidoqueen and Rhyhorn. I'm gonna try it with one of Misty's apprentices and the girl herself now. I supposed you could do this infinitely as long as you don't fight that guy near the bridge? Does he even matter? Is there a full guide to use this glitch to get other Pokemon besides Mew?

God I have so many nidorans because I couldn't remember which one I had caught. What a waste of pokeballs.

Is there a way to murder your unwanted pokemon so you can get your pokeballs back?

Yes!

jOTmjbx.jpg

I love the first generation so much :]

How'd you get that?

I'm already in pain about choosing my teammates. I dunno how I do it in X/Y/OR/AS, where there's 722 to choose from.

Right now I've got Pikachu/Charmander/Bulbasaur/Mankey/Pidgeotto and Mew, but I want to include Squirtle as well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wait what? Why?

Because Yellow has Pokémon missing that requires both version for example Ekans can't be found in either Blue or Yellow whereas Meowth can't be found in either Red or Yellow.

God I have so many nidorans because I couldn't remember which one I had caught. What a waste of pokeballs.

Is there a way to murder your unwanted pokemon so you can get your pokeballs back?

... :|

How'd you get that?
Mew Glitch isn't just for Mew, it works with anything in the index list (except for some of the higher numbers). There's a few trainers on that route that cause Gengar, Nidoqueen, and Lapras to appear rather than Mew.

Also, you can control their levels. The Pokemon who you use the special stat of (Slowpoke, Shellder, etc.) has another value that controls level: their attack modifier. Use Growl twice to bring it down to 5 or have them boost 6x their own to bring it up to 13.

Yrael

You could also clone Pokemon back in Gen I - I used to do it by trading Pokemon between games using a Link cable, and then interrupting the trade at just the right moment. The result was one of the trade Pokemon being deleted while the other was copied.

I am not sure if it still works with these 3DS trades.

Nope, I believe that was first added in Gen II. Yup, it's annoying.

Did the Mew glitch with two trainers near Bill's house and I got into battles with Nidoqueen and Rhyhorn. I'm gonna try it with one of Misty's apprentices and the girl herself now. I supposed you could do this infinitely as long as you don't fight that guy near the bridge? Does he even matter? Is there a full guide to use this glitch to get other Pokemon besides Mew?

From checking Google I found this map of trainers and their Pokemon glitch yields here (fourth post on the page, applicable to Red/Blue - other people chime in about additional/different trainers in Yellow):

http://profglitch.proboards.com/thread/349/list-mew-glitch-battle-yields

Morokh

Is there any combination of pokemon moves that are not possible anymore in newer gens that you can grab from those versions ?

Aww yiss

WVW69i8aRjEa9LOGNp

Man, 8 year old me's head would have exploded if I knew about this glitch back then. I think I was in middle school by the time it was discovered, and in high school by the time it was public knowledge.

Zalman

HERE WE GO

CcUG8A8UEAAA8mz.jpg:small

Pokémon Yellow is one of my most played games of all time and this is the first time I've done the glitch. It's much easier than I expected.

Top Bottom