• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Forkball

Transform is a legit move on Mew since his stats are so good.

[edit]THE POKEMON BOX IS FULL YOU CANNOT USE THAT ITEM WHY GEN I WHY

Probably my least favorite thing about gen 1.

Slightly related: Does anyone happen to know the mechanics behind why the game has to save to switch boxes? I'm kinda curious about that.

Amory

Finally got my Gyrados. Rather annoying doing all the switchouts with Magikarp to get it to level 20, but kind of rewarding at the same time when it finally evolves.

Time to fuck shit up

Finally got my Gyrados. Rather annoying doing all the switchouts with Magikarp to get it to level 20, but kind of rewarding at the same time when it finally evolves.

Time to fuck shit up

It takes forever too! My Abra seemed like it took about half the time to evolve. Just one more level though and I'll be good to go.

Forkball

The only stat that matters when you use transform is HP. The rest change to whatever the stats of the target were.

Yeah I just looked it up. Still, Mew has pretty good base HP. Though strangely his attack is more powerful than his special, damn you IVs.

On S.S. Anne right now. All the waiters speak French. My god... they're from Kalos! GEN VI HAS BEEN TEASED FOR ALMOST TWENTY YEARS

Zalman

I remember being in the Safari Zone as a kid trying to catch a Rhyhorn, but it told me my box was full and I freaked out. I had no idea what to do and I thought I could never catch another Pokémon.

It probably isn't going to work until Sun/Moon release as there's not really any point to it until then.

It would be nice if it worked before then, so you can stock up on pokemon from multiple play tthroughs

I don't actually play through more than once though.... 0_o

Slightly related: Does anyone happen to know the mechanics behind why the game has to save to switch boxes? I'm kinda curious about that.
I don't know the exact reason why, but I do know that the box does some weird stuff with how it handles stats (stat exp gets recalculated when withdrawing). I assume it's saving the Pokemon data to another part of the game so it doesn't lose it.

Crayolan

Just finished Red. I played Yellow a ton as a kid but never RB so it was slightly different for me. I also tried to avoid using my usual gen 1 team of the starters/pikachu/nidoking/primeape/sometimes pidgeot.

Final team was:
-Aerodactyl Lv. 42
-Vaporeon Lv. 42
-Gyarados Lv. 42
-Rhydon Lv. 44
-Parasect Lv. 48
-Clefable Lv. 49

All pokemon I've never used before except Gyarados, but I really wanted to make use of the $500 Magikarp for once. I was originally considering using Ninetails but apparently it's exclusive to Blue, oh well. Also thought about using one of the rare safari mons but I didn't find a single one when going through for Surf so I just stuck with Clefable.

Clefable was the surprise MVP. A lot of pokemon are not that satisfying to use in gen 1 because of the shit learnsets--Aerodactyl wouldn't even take the Rock Slide TM I had--but Clefable learns pretty much everything you could want and has the special stat to use it. Ran a Tri Attack/Tbolt/Psychic/Fire Blast set and it teared up everything in its path. Parasect was also surprisingly useful, dude demolished the early game and held up well in the late game. Grass/Poison types running around everywhere means constant 4x SE STAB Leech Life.

Difficulty-wise, the game was harder than I remembered at the start, where you're really limited with the mons and moves you have at your disposal, but after Misty all difficulty vanishes. The level curve remains steep the whole way throughout (my highest level mon vs the champion was 16 levels below his), but the AI and enemy movesets are so hilariously awful it doesn't matter at all. During the Blaine fight he never even used an attack on me!

Also some things I never really noticed:
-Rock Tunnel is just a bunch of forks in the road where 1 path leads to a dead end, but there's never anything at the dead ends.
-All the Channelers in Lavender Tower are possessed or something?
-Half of the poison gym trainers use psychic types, and half of the psychic gym trainers use poison types.

Uuh, shiny Pokémon were first introduced in Generation II...
Well, technically someone could find the IVs of their Pokemon in Gen I and determine if it's shiny or not. Or rather, would be if it were moved to GSC.

Pokemon Transfer might use the GS formula to determine if it's shiny. Or I hope it does, that would be a nice little bonus. And they'll probably use the GS formula to find gender anyway, might as well use another check.

Kinsei

Banned
Since it's entirely possible to get a Pokemon with the right IV's to be shiny in gen 1 and then transfer it to gen 2 where it will be shiny, I wonder if they'll become shiny when we transfer them into the pokebank.

EDIT: Beaten.

My favorite things about this gen:

-There is no Steel type.
-There is no Levitate ability.

My least favorite:
-Item storage.
-No good bug, ghost, dragon, or grass moves (besides solar beam)

I don't know the exact reason why, but I do know that the box does some weird stuff with how it handles stats (stat exp gets recalculated when withdrawing). I assume it's saving the Pokemon data to another part of the game so it doesn't lose it.

Actally, now that I think about it, it would make sense that the game can hold no more than one box of pokemon data in RAM given how little the Game Boy has. So when changing boxes it writes the current box data to SRAM because it has nowhere else to keep it and retrieves the data for the new box.

Heropon

Dammit that item storage limit. I was doing a good job storing all the TMs but it wasn't enough for all the goodies in the Team Rocket base.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Erika's gym has been the most difficult until now thanks to those acid spitting plants. They almost kill my Kadabra and Doduo.

Current team so far before going back to the pokemon center to store a couple of items and then ride those sloooooow spin tiles in the hideout:

Caddy♂ the Nidoking (lv 26): Double kick, horn attack, thrash, poison sting.
Battleship the Wartortle (lv 27): Water gun, tail whip, bite, bubble.
Smart the Kadabra (lv 29): Psybeam, confusion, disable, kinesis.
D-Decker the Doduo (lv 30): Fly, peck, drill peck, growl.
DPV the Sandslash (lv 29): Slash, dig, cut, sand attack.
Tesla X the Pikachu (lv 29): Thunderbolt, double team, quick attack, thunder wave.

No dark types, no fairy types.

Eh, I'm indifferent about those. I like Dark for its counter to Psychic, but I think if we had some legit ghost or bug moves, it'd be unneeded in this gen.
Steel, though. I hate that type. It's by far my least favorite in the games.

-No good bug, ghost, dragon, or grass moves (besides solar beam)

Had Shadow Ball existed in Gen I, Gengar likely would have been the strongest Pokemon in the game.

Not that it is a reason to not have a good ghost move, it's just interesting to imagine a Gen I meta where every psychic type was shut down by Gengar.

Although not that I think about it, Ghost was physical for some reason, so maybe Shadow Ball would have been better as a TM so Tauros/Persian could learn it.

It always bothered me there was never a Grass version of Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf. I guess the idea was, that Razor Leaf had a high crit chance that made up for it being weaker, but that's not a good trade off and once the crit formula changed, it became less and less useful.

These days we have Energy Ball/Leaf Blade, but those moves should have existed since Gen I...

Had Shadow Ball existed in Gen I, Gengar likely would have been the strongest Pokemon in the game.

Not that it is a reason to not have a good ghost move, it's just interesting to imagine a Gen I meta where every psychic type was shut down by Gengar.

It always bothered me there was never a Grass version of Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf. I guess the idea was, that Razor Leaf had a high crit chance that made up for it being weaker, but that's not a good trade off and once the crit formula changed, it became less and less useful.

These days we have Energy Ball/Leaf Blade, but those moves should have existed since Gen I...

Thing about Gengar in Gen 1 is he's shut down by ground moves due to no Levitate. His part poison type really hurts him, mixed with the fact that just about anyone can learn Dig.

Thing about Gengar in Gen 1 is he's shut down by ground moves due to no Levitate. His part poison type really hurts him, mixed with the fact that just about anyone can learn Dig.

Gengar has to have the Poison type in Gen I. He'd have no weaknesses (besides Lick lol) if he were pure Ghost.

Lucky for Gengar, the Pokemon using Ground Moves are almost always slower than him, weak to a move he can learn, and have frail Special stats. The big Ground threats are Golem and Rhydon, both of which Gengar has Giga Drain to deal with.

It's the Psychic Pokemon he needs to worry about. With Hypnosis though, he can sometimes manage to hold up against them as well, if he gets the sleep on the turn they switch in.

Boney

Banned
Gengar has to have the Poison type in Gen I. He'd have no weaknesses (besides Lick lol) if he were pure Ghost.

Lucky for Gengar, the Pokemon using Ground Moves are almost always slower than him, weak to a move he can learn, and have frail Special stats. The big Ground threats are Golem and Rhydon, both of which Gengar has Giga Drain to deal with.

It's the Psychic Pokemon he needs to worry about.
Tauros can tank a blizzard fine

Drop

Actally, now that I think about it, it would make sense that the game can hold no more than one box of pokemon data in RAM given how little the Game Boy has. So when changing boxes it writes the current box data to SRAM because it has nowhere else to keep it and retrieves the data for the new box.

That's kind of what I was thinking, I don't know the cartridge or the gameboy memory structure but if saving is the only way of writing into mass memory and the central memory can only hold one box at a time it makes sense.

The game would need to write the changes to the currently active box into mass memory before overwriting it with the new one.

Wichu

Isn't Psychic immune to Ghost in Gen 1?

There isn't enough RAM to store the entire PCs contents so it stores one box instead:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pokémon_Red/Blue:RAM_map

Heh, I arrived at that conclusion just a few posts above yours. Always nice when your reasoning turns out to be correct.

A slight bit more on topic:

The next thing on my list of things to do is capturing a bunch of decent Machop to transfer with Fissure when Sun and Moon release. I'll probably hand out a few extras too, when the time comes.

How does box switching work then? How does it remember all the details?

>Start box switching
>Copy active box data from RAM to save file(it should have a fixed position to be stored). I think the game just does a full save here actually.
>Copy new box data from save file to RAM, overwriting the previous box data
>Box switching done

This is just my guess though, I didn't read the disassembly.

EDIT:
@Drop: Excellent point.

Drop

>Start box switching
>Copy active box data from RAM to save file(it should have a fixed position to be stored). I think the game just does a full save here actually.
>Copy new box data from save file to RAM, overwriting the previous box data
>Box switching done

This is just my guess though, I didn't read the disassembly.

I'm assuming it has to, because writing the current box state into the save file without the state of your team would make for an easy way to duplicate pokémon.
just deposit the pokémon, change box and turn the game off, you'd end up with the pokémon in both the box and your team.

Well, just saving one part of the game and not others could cause problems in general.

I think that's how the pokémon duplicating glitch in gen II works, you turn the game off while saving, interrupting it before it saves the party status, but after the box status has been saved.

Amory

I like my Pikachu, I like having him follow me around, but he just ain't gonna make the cut for my permanent team.

Sorry lil' dude.

eefara

I like my Pikachu, I like having him follow me around, but he just ain't gonna make the cut for my permanent team.

Sorry lil' dude.

I figure I'll keep mine, but I really want to evolve him. -.-; Only friend likely to get one of the gen 1 games hasn't yet, so...

Makonero

I'm trying to figure out who should be my sixth in my gift-only run. I'm getting Abra from the game corner to trade for a Mr. Mime, so my party looks like this:

Jolteon
Mr. Mime
Nidoqueen
Lapras
Hitmonlee

Should I keep Venusaur? He's pretty useless now that I'm out of Rock Tunnel. Aerodactyl? He doesn't even learn a rock move! But Fly would be handy. I have to keep Venusaur around for Cut purposes for awhile but I'm debating replacing him with Dragonite or Clefable from the game corner.

I'm trying to figure out who should be my sixth in my gift-only run. I'm getting Abra from the game corner to trade for a Mr. Mime, so my party looks like this:

Jolteon
Mr. Mime
Nidoqueen
Lapras
Hitmonlee

Should I keep Venusaur? He's pretty useless now that I'm out of Rock Tunnel. Aerodactyl? He doesn't even learn a rock move! But Fly would be handy. I have to keep Venusaur around for Cut purposes for awhile but I'm debating replacing him with Dragonite or Clefable from the game corner.

Just get Farfetch'd.

ShyMel

Whew, thought I blew my easy/early chances for getting Mew by defeating all the trainers, minus the Slowpoke and Shellder trainers around Cerulean City. Darn me for forgetting the start of the glitch. Ended up using the trainer in the top left section of grass just outside of Vermillion City. I thought it was funny that you end up forced back inside the building when battling Mew on that route.

I wish Articuno learned Psychic. I plan on adding him to my team eventually, but I'll still lack a Psychic type.

Not that it really matters, I'm sure I can make it through just fine without one.

eefara

I wish Articuno learned Psychic. I plan on adding him to my team eventually, but I'll still lack a Psychic type.

Not that it really matters, I'm sure I can make it through just fine without one.

I think I'll probably end the game with no dedicated Psychic type. Someone'll probably learn Psychic from the TM (maybe Haunter), but it's looking like I won't have the type.

Mr-Joker

Banned

It's the Psychic Pokemon he needs to worry about. With Hypnosis though, he can sometimes manage to hold up against them as well, if he gets the sleep on the turn they switch in.

Giga Drain didn't exist till gen 2 meaning that the only grass move that Gengar can learn is Mega Drain which does a measly 40 worth of damage.

Jolteon
Mr. Mime
Nidoqueen
Lapras
Hitmonlee

Go for Dragonite and witness the awesome power of dragon with Dragon Rage...which only does a set 40 damage. -_-

Go for Dragonite and witness the awesome power of dragon with Dragon Rage...which only does a set 40 damage. -_-

His Wrap set is super annoying, but actually pretty good.

I refuse to ever use it though, because it is literally one of the most annoying things in RBY competitive battling.

Makonero

Just get Farfetch'd.

I can't get Farfetch'd without a Spearow, and you can't get Spearow as a gift

Hahaha yeah that (and the cost) is why it's low on my list of potentials. But he does have some decent TMs and is fairly strong, and I don't think I ever used him in the original games before. Hmm. Scyther was on my list for a long time, but he learns literally no good moves at all, so he's out.

Top Bottom