• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

yoonshik

Can you also get a lvl. 1 Gengar? That would be pretty fun.
You can get a Lv. 7 Gengar : )

jOTmjbx.jpg

Etzer

Wait what

I don't know this one, what is it? I'm playing Yellow and about to go through Mt Moon - anything good I should try to get?
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/66pQj

Looks like you can end up with any of these, either at level 1 (skips to 100 after its first battle) if you follow the guide exactly, or level 7 (levels up normally) if you skip the part where you use Growl 6 times during battle:

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Nidoran♀, Nidorina, Nidoking, Nidoran♂, Nidorino, Nidoqueen, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Abra , Kadabra , Alakazam, Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Geodude, Gravler, Golem, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Mew

Plasmid

Any tips performing the Mew glitch? I'm having a problem getting the start menu to pop when I step forward. When am I supposed to hit start?

If you're doing the Cerulean method it takes a few tries. You have to hit before he ! You, then teleport and he'll do it. Best way is just save at the spot before and keep trying. Took me 5 tries.

What's the best possible way to farm Evees? Getting all the variants seems to be the worst part of Pokedex completion BESIDES porygon.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/66pQj

Looks like you can end up with any of these, either at level 1 (skips to 100 after its first battle) if you follow the guide exactly, or level 7 (levels up normally) if you skip the part where you use Growl 6 times during battle:

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Nidoran♀, Nidorina, Nidoking, Nidoran♂, Nidorino, Nidoqueen, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Abra , Kadabra , Alakazam, Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Geodude, Gravler, Golem, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Mew

Damn, I missed this.

I'll be sure to get Mew though!

Vuapol

Btw, in case you guys didn't know.

Evolve Nidorino immediately. Nidoking learns Thrash at lvl 23. Thrash is a 120 power, 100 Accuracy move that hits for several turns and has 20pp. And some guy can learn it at lvl 23. He's been my sweeper this whole time (just got the poke flute).

Yeah, Thrash has been an absolute godsend. My Nidoking usually takes the opponent out in 1 or 2 turns so the Confusion status never even gets to kick in. Amazing move.

I didn't realize Gengar didn't learn any Ghost type moves in RB, so I may go for Snorlax instead. Always wanted to use one, he seems like he'd be a beast.

Randdalf

I've never played Yellow, so I got that one. I was actually quite surprised to find a Mankey next to Viridian City, they normally appeared before the rock tunnel, no? Anyway, I caught it. I was looking for a Nidoran♂, so I can get Nidoking.

I'm undecided on whether or not to keep Pikachu yet - I already have a favourite Raichu from Fire Red.

It goes to show just how potent the psychic type is when the wild Drowzee I picked up is already a monster with confusion alone.
Then later on in the game with the ghost tower, rocket bases, deluge of bikers and poison gym (also grass arguably, it's nearly all part poison) it's a damn super effective feast for team Psychic.

People who shove Pikachu in the box in Yellow are heartless monsters
My heart is still pure, until I get to Lavender Town, I'm only clinging to the rat for Flash.

I'm a terrible person lol.
WVW69i8p3dsXX_3Yat
That's one way to get over grief.

I can't get this Abra in Yellow, apparently it can't fall asleep and paralysing it seems to do nothing most of the time :(

How did some of you catch it?

Threw a pokeball at the first one I saw when it was at full health, captured like a champ.

WPS

I can't get this Abra in Yellow, apparently it can't fall asleep and paralysing it seems to do nothing most of the time :(

How did some of you catch it?

It can fall asleep, though I did have a lot of trouble using Sleep Powder on it and kep having it miss or wake up immediately (and then sleep missed again). I don't think pokémon in RBY have different levels of vulnerability to sleep, but it sure as hell felt like it.

sibarraz

Banned
If I don't had anyone with the game close to me, is thre any chance to get those pokemons from the other collection using my own saves?

Same with evolving those pokemons that needs to be transferred to evolve?

Mr-Joker

Banned
If I don't had anyone with the game close to me, is thre any chance to get those pokemons from the other collection using my own saves?

Yes, if you buy the game on another 3DS, you cannot trade between version if they are on the same 3DS.

Shizuka

At 22 hours and one minute, I'm done with the game. I've defeated the Elite Four and caught all legendaries, now I just have to wait until Pokemon Bank interaction is online to transfer my team and legendaries to that.

Roufianos

Damn, the S.S Anne was a lot less daunting than I remember, in and out in 15 minutes.

Back in the day I actually tried to leave my gameboy on overnight as I thought you had to wait for the ship to depart.

jadedm17

At 22 hours and one minute, I'm done with the game. I've defeated the Elite Four and caught all legendaries, now I just have to wait until Pokemon Bank interaction is online to transfer my team and legendaries to that.

Hah, I'm at 11 hours and I don't even have my third badge.
I may be playing a bit obsessively.

Galdius

You were fast.
I thought I had played a lot on the weekend but comparing it to some people I didn't. I put 12 hours into Blue during saturday and sunday.

The Mew/Ditto Glitch is how I'm going to do it this time around.

I put probably 300 hours into Pokemon Red when I was a kid...I paid my dues.

I'm going to copy my post from the other thread for all the Missingno. glitch fans:

Remeber that your trainer name determines which additional Pokemon you can encounter using the Old Man Glitch!

This page hosts a calculator to see which name gives wich encounters: https://web.archive.org/web/20071226115844/http://glitchcity.info/misc/namegen2

You can use it to choose a name with encounters to your liking or to see which encounters the name you are planning on using will give you.

I'll be going with tsHaDow, which results in:
MissingNO. Level 178
Mewtwo Level 160
Kabutops Fossil Level 174

Wait, Professor Oak? Can I catch Professor Oak? Haha

Mr-Joker

Banned

Man that was quick, it took me 3 weeks to finish Pokémon Yellow.

No but you can fight him as Game Freak originally had plans where you could battle him either as the champion or post game.

I wish that they kept that idea as fighting Oak post game would have been cool.

Not exactly. Certain index numbers load trainers instead of Pokemon. In this case, Prof. Oak appears with a glitched team because the team ID is wrong (usually MissingNo. and Flareon).

However, Prof. Oak does have teams programmed. Judging by the levels and the fact that he has one team per starter, it's been thought that he was originally planned as either the champion or a Red-like secret boss. You can fight these teams with the Mew Glitch.

Not exactly. Certain index numbers load trainers instead of Pokemon. In this case, Prof. Oak appears with a glitched team because the team ID is wrong (usually MissingNo. and Flareon).

However, Prof. Oak does have teams programmed. Judging by the levels and the fact that he has one team per starter, it's been thought that he was originally planned as either the champion or a Red-like secret boss. You can fight these teams with the Mew Glitch.

No but you can fight him as Game Freak originally had plans where you could battle him either as the champion or post game.

I wish that they kept that idea as fighting Oak post game would have been cool.

Neat, thanks.
My first playthrough of pokemon Red, I must have put at least 60 hours into it. I explored every area I could find more than once, battled every single trainer in the game, and generally took my time.

I remember that in my original play, I encountered MissingNo and a level 100+ Snorlax using the old man glitch. Based on that, the calculator says my name included one of the following:

Possible Names:
* * G * E * *
* * G * * * E
* * E * G * *
* * E * * * G
* * * * E * G
* * * * G * E

I'm trying to figure out what name I used in my original playthrough but I can't think of anything with a G in it. I can't remember what other pokemon may have appear either to fill in more blanks. I thought maybe Kangaskhan but that doesn't appear to be an option so I guess I am mistaken.

My name doesn't have a G in it. 'Ash' couldnt be it. Not RED, either. What were the other default choice names? I wonder what kids TV shows were popular in 1999, maybe I took a name from one of those.

I think I named my rival Andy or Andrew but I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

Edit: That calculator assigned MissingNo to G. However on Bulbapedia it has various possible letters. So all I know is that I had an 'E' in 3rd, 5th or 7th.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I think my name was Ash chosen from the default list. If you choose a default name it results in different pokemon than a custom name. Ash results in Missingno, Snorlax and Golbat. I think that's correct.

Shizuka

Hah, I'm at 11 hours and I don't even have my third badge.
I may be playing a bit obsessively.

One thing people should be aware is that you'll never need to grind by defeating wild Pokémon if you battle all trainers and make a balanced team.

You were fast.
I thought I had played a lot on the weekend but comparing it to some people I didn't. I put 12 hours into Blue during saturday and sunday.

I've played it on Saturday for nine hours, then I decided to match that nine hours on Sunday. Today, I just did whatever was left in order to get it done with and move on.

It took me months when I was a kid and this was my first game, but that's because I could barely get a couple of hours per week as my parent's were really strict about it.

Top Bottom