• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

I know Gen 1 didn't support trading between the Japanese and localised versions, but when was it first made possible? If I had to guess, I'd say Gen 3.
It was R/S, but even some early versions of that had problems surrounding foreign Pokemon evolving.
You should be able to get everything into S/M when they come out, as you said.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man I really need to pick all four of these up. They're amazing.

It was soooo worth it, considering how cheap it was. I actually have original boxed versions of both Red and Green, and I'm tempted to pick up a boxed Pikachu version one of these days to contrast with the physical rerelease.

uEHCmno.jpg

Oh man I forgot how awful some (most) of the back sprites were. Nidoran looks like he was born with a birth defect.

I always thought it was weird that they used double sized pixels for the back sprites. I guess it has something to do with compression and cartridge space.

I finished the E4 last night, with a team of:

Mew 54
Blastoise 45
Dugtrio 48

Mew wrecked just about everything, with duggy sniping some of Agatha's ghosts. Blastoise was there for emotional support...

Yrael

I nominate Vulpix for worst back sprite.

vulpix-color.png

I find it really hard to reconcile that sprite with the actual Pokemon - it's truly terrible, lol:

250px-037Vulpix.png

Yo, I got a Nidoking by Cerulean City and i had no idea how powerful this thing is. Also if we're talking bad back sprites, i'd like to give a shout out to Charmeleon
Spr_b_g1_005.png

It looks like a sad camel

It looks like an orange dugong with a white spike on top of its head.

2504873_orig.jpg

I always thought it was weird that they used double sized pixels for the back sprites. I guess it has something to do with compression and cartridge space.

I finished the E4 last night, with a team of:

Mew 54
Blastoise 45
Dugtrio 48

Mew wrecked just about everything, with duggy sniping some of Agatha's ghosts. Blastoise was there for emotional support...

They did the same thing up until black and white, so I'm pretty sure it's a design choice/intentional more than anything. They look the worst pixelated mess in black and white.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vulpix looks like a punk fox from behind.

Loptous

Just started Yellow, and I decided to go for a Nuzlocke with SET rules.
On that note, it always amuses me that nobody brings up Switch/Set modes when people complain about the games' difficulty.

So far, my team is just Pikachu and a Rattata. I feel like Brock is going to destroy me if I don't get a Mankey or at least a Nidoran.

Firemind

I didn't even know there was a set option for R/B/Y haha

Guess I'll change it to that since it's way too easy now

Edit: And as I said that, I almost lost Pidgeotto to back to back karate chop crits

Drop

I ended up jumping on the train yesterday and picked Yellow since I have never played it all the way through, while I have already completed Red in the past.

I currently have 2 medals and my team is composed of Spearow and Nidorina, I'm going to evolve the latter before fighting Surge, but I'm really evolving her early because bodyslam > bite.

I'm also planning to complete the pokedex without trading by abusing the ditto glitch, I'll have to use it to get Weedle, Ekans, Meowth, Koffing, Magmar, Jynx, Electabuzz, Raichu, Omanyte, Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, Gengar, Golem, Alakazam, 2 Eevee and Mew.

It's going to be fun :)

Edit: I forgot to list Mew...

I thought maybe with the changes to trading that it might be possible now. Oh well. Pokemon Bank still reads international versions, so I'll just upload my Pokemon to the cloud and transfer them out when Sun/Moon release.

Right, that's my plan too! I have PAL Yellow and Japanese everything else, but I've only started Red so far, so I haven't actually tested to see for myself.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently when you search, they can't find each other. Maybe it was bulbapedia? As people have said, I believe it was technically possible with the older games, but it results in a corrupted save file.

Nah they stopped using double sized pixels in Gold and Silver. I always assumed it was to make them appear like they were closer to you, but who knows.

It was a late design decision on the original games. They were originally going to be the smaller size (no double pixels), but they didn't feel like that gave them a proper sense of distance between your and your opponents pokemon.

At that point, instead of redesigning all 151 back sprites, they just doubled them up... Making them big, but ugly.

It was a late design decision on the original games. They were originally going to be the smaller size (no double pixels), but they didn't feel like that gave them a proper sense of distance between your and your opponents pokemon.

At that point, instead of redesigning all 151 back sprites, they just doubled them up... Making them big, but ugly.

Oh, so that's the reason. Interesting bit of information.

Firemind

Weepinbell you da real MVP

Thunderbolt took like 1/4 hp but Sleep Powder too good! I was surprised Lt. Surge didn't even bother to use a potion. Fighting fair and square. Respect.

Wurliwurm

I started a red nuzlocke, ist a nice Feeling to Play the first pokemon game again as a nuzlocke. i will post my progress soon. maybe a post per badge.

WPS

Of all the things I'm having trouble unlearning, Magnemite being steel type is the hardest. It just feels so wrong to quick attack them.

Current team is Pikachu, Charmeleon, Bellsprout and Nidoking. I've mew glitched my way into both Mew and Magmar so far, but don't intend to use them.

Edit: By the way, is anyone else finding themselves reflexively holding the run button? I can't be the only one.

Attempts to buy some Super Potions...

"You can't carry any more items."

o_O

I don't remember having to use the item storage as a kid haha.

This, exactly. I remember being able to carry everything around with me as a kid and now I'm constantly running up against the pack limit. Storing all unused TMs helps quite a bit, though.

Makonero

Of all the things I'm having trouble unlearning, Magnemite being steel type is the hardest. It just feels so wrong to quick attack them.

Current team is Pikachu, Charmeleon, Bellsprout and Nidoking. I've mew glitched my way into both Mew and Magmar so far, but don't intend to use them.

Edit: By the way, is anyone else finding themselves reflexively holding the run button? I can't be the only one.

Yep. It's a reflex. I got the bike and was super excited and then it wasn't much faster at all! :(

Blues1990

I'm having issues with the eShop card that a friend has given to me as a gift, as I keep getting error messages, despite imputing the number correctly. Any suggestions?

Yea, the Magnemite thing I'm just never going to get used to. Keep using Fire moves on it, expecting it to work.

Also afraid to use Ground moves on Koffing.

And Bite not being Super Effective on Drowzee also messed me up.

It's hard to unlearn all this stuff.

This game really needs a run button. I understand it's basically impossible, since the game seems to be at the absolute limits of the number of sprites on screen (since NPCs often seem to just pop in), but even the bike is paintfully slow.

Looking at this game completely differently now that I'm older. It's actually more playable than I thought it would be!

Beedrill and Butterfree are really really good in game. Beedrill with that Twineedle rips through all the grass and poison types and even does well against psychic types. Butterfree is also great with Sleep Power and Confusion ripping through the poison types!

eefara

Abra's in a different place in Yellow, so you have to wait until you beat Gym 2. In R/B, you can do it before.

I doubt it'll transfer, though.

You don't have to beat Misty before getting Abra in Yellow. One you get the ticket from Bill the police officer moves, allowing you to get to Abra without worrying about Misty first.

NeonZ

Good grief these sprites. Vulpix what did they do to you? (Or, uh, what did they already have done to you?)

Aren't they the same back sprites from Japanese Red & Green? They revamped the front sprites for Blue and the localized games, but kept the same back ones.

zbarron

Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread. Does anyone know how to get Pokemon Bank to work with this game? I only have 2 badges and am thinking it might only work at the end of the game.

andshrew

Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread. Does anyone know how to get Pokemon Bank to work with this game? I only have 2 badges and am thinking it might only work at the end of the game.

It probably isn't going to work until Sun/Moon release as there's not really any point to it until then.

Amory

Did Lt. Surge always just use one pokemon, or just in Yellow?

I thought he used to have a Pikachu and a Raichu, but I just beat him and he only used Raichu.

Top Bottom