• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Is there a grass type worth a damn other than eggsecutor?

Victreebel is alright

Smogon says
Victreebel is one of the best Grass-types due to its great Attack and Special, letting it hit opponents hard from both sides. It can use Swords Dance effectively with Body Slam and Hyper Beam, maxing its Attack after two uses of Swords Dance. Razor Leaf OHKOs Rock / Ground Pokemon that think they can wall Victreebel's Normal attacks, and will cause massive damage to any Water-types. However, it is limited in its effectiveness due to it low Speed and weakness to Psychic. All in all, Victreebel is a great Pokemon to bring in on a paralyzed team, because of its ability to sweep with either of its sets quite easily.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man, Grass Types really got screwed in Gen I compared to the other Special types.

Yeah.

Hahaha yeah that (and the cost) is why it's low on my list of potentials. But he does have some decent TMs and is fairly strong, and I don't think I ever used him in the original games before. Hmm. Scyther was on my list for a long time, but he learns literally no good moves at all, so he's out.

Well while I was joking about Dragon Rage Dragonite is actually not that bad as he can learn a lot of viable TM.

Is there a grass type worth a damn other than eggsecutor?

In-game Venusaur teach him Razor Leaf, Leech Seed and Toxic and watch him rack up the damage.

Btw, in case you guys didn't know.

Evolve Nidorino immediately. Nidoking learns Thrash at lvl 23. Thrash is a 120 power, 100 Accuracy move that hits for several turns and has 20pp. And some guy can learn it at lvl 23. He's been my sweeper this whole time (just got the poke flute).

Also on a separate note, the Stun Spore / Wrap combo is really annoying.

Evolve Nidorino immediately. Nidoking learns Thrash at lvl 23. Thrash is a 120 power, 100 Accuracy move that hits for several turns and has 20pp. And some guy can learn it at lvl 23. He's been my sweeper this whole time (just got the poke flute).
It's only 90 power in Gen 1, which is still kinda good but useless against rock types considering you get locked into it. I'd definitely recommend evolving Nidorina early, as Nidoqueen gets Body Slam at 23 which is undoubtedly the best Normal move in the game.

Wurliwurm

So I got my first badge in my pokemon red nuzlocke. I captured a few pics during my journey.
I haven´t lost a pokemon until now and my current Team is this;
Squirtle Kröti Lv 15
Pidgey Wings Lv 13
Rattata Rudi Lv 5
Beedrill Burnie Lv 10

Not a single one was defeatet, i hope it will go on like this...
Edit: You can see my current Progress on my miiverse Profile.

Makonero

It's only 90 power in Gen 1, which is still kinda good but useless against rock types considering you get locked into it. I'd definitely recommend evolving Nidorina early, as Nidoqueen gets Body Slam at 23 which is undoubtedly the best Normal move in the game.

Yep, I'm pretty stoked to have Nidoqueen at level 17. Earthquake, Body Slam, Surf, Ice Beam...so many great moves!

I just wish poison had a decent damaging move.

Also on a separate note, the Stun Spore / Wrap combo is really annoying.
Good shout, I was going to keep Nidoran for this run, this is good to know. Just had a look at Nidorino's RB moveset. He's pretty awful, Double Kick at level 50? Good thing I've got Yellow.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is there any disadvantage to doing the poke doll trick in Lavender? Other than not being able to catch ghosts I guess.

You miss out on fighting the ghost Marowak and I guess catching Cubone, unless you're playing Yellow as you can catch them in the Safari Zone.

Actually I am not sure if doing the Pokédoll trick skips the Rocket hideout, I assume that you can go back in and get the Sliph scope should you want it.

Yeah Body Slam is amazing and is what made my Eevee in Yellow a power house.

asdecru

Neo Member
Thinking about the team that I want to go trought Yellow...Nidoking, Snorlax and Jolteon are undoubtedly in. I'm not sure about what to do with the other half of the team. Gyarados, Dragonite and Mew are knocking at the door, but as I said, I'm not sure. I feel the team would be quite unbalanced.

Some suggestions?

Ooo didn't know it was only 90 in RB. Darn. Still a great move. You can choose to switch out if you KO an enemy too. And his TM pool is incredible.For some reason, though, he can't learn Dig. A Ground type.

His poison typing really hurts his weaknesses chart, though :/ Sitll, he's been a great sweeper for me.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm so torn on this release.

Part of me wants to pick up Blue or Yellow and play through it.

Another part of me realized that I lost interest in Pokemon X after about 20 hours and haven't been able to finish a Pokemon game in at least a decade.

Ugh.

Arcia

Banned

Another part of me realized that I lost interest in Pokemon X after about 20 hours and haven't been able to finish a Pokemon game in at least a decade.

Ugh.

Well, one benefit of playing the first games again is remembering how they actually had some difficulty and challenge to them. Especially if you attempt a challenge run like with nuzlocke rules. It's also cool to witness how jank and glitchy the games are. Gives them a lot of character!

Well I finished up Yellow last night, not really going for the 150 as its impossible for me to do so.

Ended the game with a time of about 13 hours, the elite four wasn't too bad even though I was somewhat under leveled.

My final team in the Hall of Fame is:

Pikachu Lv 45
-Thunderbolt
-Quick Attack
-Thunder
-Thunder Wave

Nidoking Lv 46
-Thunderbolt
-Thrash
-Surf
-Earthquake

Clefable Lv 44
-Double-edge
-Body Slam
-Bubblebeam
-Mega Punch

Vileplume Lv 44
-Mega Drain
-Acid
-Petal Dance
-Sleep Powder

Charizard Lv 42
-Strength
-Slash (crit machine)
-Fly
-Fire Blast

Starmie Lv 48
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Surf

Oh maaaan, did Starmie ever crush the E4. Super powerful Pokemon in these games especially because they base crits off of speed.

Overall I had an absolutely blast playing through generation one in its truest form again, there honestly were times where I couldn't put the game down as I was having too much fun. Cheers Pokemon to 20 years, cheers to 20 more.

Suddenly I have an unhealthy urge to use an Exeggutor when the time comes.

Ugh.

If it helps I had to sloooowly force myself through Omega Ruby over the span of a year which I only finished this month.
Meanwhile I picked up Yellow on the weekend and I'm very much enjoying it leading me to believe that Gen 6 was just too easy even by series standards to be that engaging (outside the new pokemon novelty that came with X/Y).

So you might be surprised.

Etzer

I never did any of these glitches, and I wanted to give it a try this time.

tg8HDLqh.jpg

Haven't beaten Brock yet.

Makonero

Well, one benefit of playing the first games again is remembering how they actually had some difficulty and challenge to them. Especially if you attempt a challenge run like with nuzlocke rules. It's also cool to witness how jank and glitchy the games are. Gives them a lot of character!

I hope GameFreak can capture some of that magic in the new ones. I mean, difficulty and character-wise, not glitch-wise haha.

I hope GameFreak can capture some of that magic in the new ones. I mean, difficulty and character-wise, not glitch-wise haha.

They got kinda close with that one level 14 Kadabra guy after Lumiose, but the issue was how fast you leveled up in X/Y. Gyms 4-6 were just so beneath you even if you didn't use the EXP Share that you just ended up steamrolling the rest of the game.

I don't think they should cut the EXP Share, but I do think it should be a postgame item from now on. It's very useful for EV training and leveling in general, but it breaks the balance of the games.

Any tips performing the Mew glitch? I'm having a problem getting the start menu to pop when I step forward. When am I supposed to hit start?

Growlie19

Made it to Fuchsia City, grabbed Surf, and finalized the team. Now it's a training montage over at Silph Co. for the Poison and Psychic gyms. The team:

Blastoise Lv 36: Bite, Withdraw, Surf, Water Gun
Fearow Lv 36: Drill Peck, Mirror Move, Fly, Fury Attack
Arcanine Lv 34: Bite, Double-Edge, Ember, Dig
Jolteon Lv 34: Thunderbolt, Sand-Attack, Thundershock, Quick Attack
Marowak Lv 34: Bone Club, Strength, Leer, Submission
Exeggutor Lv 34: Egg Bomb, Hypnosis, Psychic, Mega Drain

Makonero

They got kinda close with that one level 14 Kadabra guy after Lumiose, but the issue was how fast you leveled up in X/Y. Gyms 4-6 were just so beneath you even if you didn't use the EXP Share that you just ended up steamrolling the rest of the game.

I don't think they should cut the EXP Share, but I do think it should be a postgame item from now on. It's very useful for EV training and leveling in general, but it breaks the balance of the games.

I'm okay with it as long as there's a way to toggle difficulty. If trainers have more pokemon that are higher leveled (with better AI) and everything is scaled with the idea that you have EXP Share on...then that would be awesome. Also, caves should be proper dungeons again!

Shizuka

And done, beat the Elite Four and the Champion! All in 21 hours, despite talking to every NPC and battling every trainer. I wonder if I can catch all three Legendary and Mewtwo today.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I'm thinking about getting yellow and doing a nuzlocke run. I've never done a nuzlocke, will the gift starters make it too easy? Maybe I should go with R/B?

Firemind

I'm thinking about getting yellow and doing a nuzlocke run. I've never done a nuzlocke, will the gift starters make it too easy? Maybe I should go with R/B?
It's actually pretty challenging if you set battles to not giving a free switch, even if you get all three starters. I already lost Ivysaur, Squirtle and Magikarp while I was boosting them.

Version doesn't really matter. Pikachu makes it kind of more annoying because of how useless he is. Can't even OHKO Zubats!

Top Bottom