• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

sgjackson

swapped out vileplume for snorlax. no regrets, snorlax is a legit murder machine, stab body slam one shots everything and rest+poke flute is hilarious. think my team is finalized as

jolteon
hypno
dodrio
nidoking
snorlax
wartortle

the latter will be a blastoise as soon as i beat silph co, which i just got to.

ohlawd

swapped out vileplume for snorlax. no regrets, snorlax is a legit murder machine, stab body slam one shots everything and rest+poke flute is hilarious. think my team is finalized as

jolteon
hypno
dodrio
nidoking
snorlax
wartortle

what the fuck

this is my exact team minus Nidoking and Snorlax. Got a Primeape and Mew instead.

Chansey is such a fun change as opposed to one hitting everyone. I just wish I didn't use all my good special attack TMs, I think I'll give her Blizzard instead of Lapras though cause Lapras has ice beam. I also love her sprite :)

JJP12

I was doing some cleaning and found this treasure. This thing was basically my bible when I was a child lol
41ElZV3.jpg

Sillution

Okay so I'm confused... Trying to do the Mew glitch in Pokemon Yellow. So to my understanding abra is not in the grass patch to the left of the bridge of the 5 trainers above cerulean city. After looking up, it seems abra in Pokemon yellow is in route 5. Route 5 is to the south of the city but it's blocked because I don't have cut to chop town the one tree and there is also a police office blocking a house that mentions team rocket is behind the robbery of the house. Does anyone know what to do here? According to a mew glitch walk thru it says do not fight anymore trainers after the first 5 and rocket guy on the bridge. But I think I have to find bill to have the police officer move from the house in cerulean city. And if I recall he's past more trainers to the right of bridge and the guy you need for mew glitch.

illadelph

jolteon
hypno
dodrio
nidoking
snorlax
wartortle

that's a badass team right there

Are there any visual options for Red/Blue ? Like playing the game with the Super Gameboy decals or anything like that, rather than just the default monochrome.

Berordn

Are there any visual options for Red/Blue ? Like playing the game with the Super Gameboy decals or anything like that, rather than just the default monochrome.

The GB virtual console emulator is extremely barebones and gives you no options outside of playing with the GB border in 1:1 mode.

Revven

Okay so I'm confused... Trying to do the Mew glitch in Pokemon Yellow. So to my understanding abra is not in the grass patch to the left of the bridge of the 5 trainers above cerulean city. After looking up, it seems abra in Pokemon yellow is in route 5. Route 5 is to the south of the city but it's blocked because I don't have cut to chop town the one tree and there is also a police office blocking a house that mentions team rocket is behind the robbery of the house. Does anyone know what to do here? According to a mew glitch walk thru it says do not fight anymore trainers after the first 5 and rocket guy on the bridge. But I think I have to find bill to have the police officer move from the house in cerulean city. And if I recall he's past more trainers to the right of bridge and the guy you need for mew glitch.

Just avoid the one youngster on the way to Bill's. Once you finish the Bill part the house the police officer is blocking will be open to go inside. Fight the Rocket on the other side and then go down the open path that leads where you need to go. (It's a ledge that has an open part to allow you to go in and out of Cerulean without cut).

Anth0ny

Surprised so many people are doing the mew glitch so early. I don't have the patience to catch a damn abra, just get fly and do the glitch then

KtSlime

Pokemon Yellow originally didn't receive GBC enhancements in Japan. Only in the international releases.
Thanks. I didn't know that, I knew there were being differences between the original releases, but thought the two yellow versions were more or less the same. Will pick it up today with no regrets.

Drain You

Surprised so many people are doing the mew glitch so early. I don't have the patience to catch a damn abra, just get fly and do the glitch then

25 years old and this is the first time I've ever heard of the glitch. Damn straight I'll be doing it the very first chance I get haha.

Sillution

Just avoid the one youngster on the way to Bill's. Once you finish the Bill part the house the police officer is blocking will be open to go inside. Fight the Rocket on the other side and then go down the open path that leads where you need to go. (It's a ledge that has an open part to allow you to go in and out of Cerulean without cut).

Thank you. I made it to bill without fighting the needed trainer for the glitch.

aadiboy

You guys think summer would be too early for GSC ports? I think that would be enough to distance them from Sun/Moon and RBY.

Rizzi

uEHCmno.jpg

Oh man I forgot how awful some (most) of the back sprites were. Nidoran looks like he was born with a birth defect.

Shizuka

Alright, end of my second day with another nine hours, making a total of 18 hours of playtime. I just got to Cinnabar Island, after defeating every single trainer at sea. I think I might finish the game soon after all, I'll just need to capture the thre legendary birds and Mewtwo after that and it's done.

105.Will

Yo, I got a Nidoking by Cerulean City and i had no idea how powerful this thing is. Also if we're talking bad back sprites, i'd like to give a shout out to Charmeleon
Spr_b_g1_005.png

It looks like a sad camel

I nominate Vulpix for worst back sprite.

vulpix-color.png

mankey is pretty terrible too

mankey-color.png

but that vulpix holy shit

Yo, I got a Nidoking by Cerulean City and i had no idea how powerful this thing is. Also if we're talking bad back sprites, i'd like to give a shout out to Charmeleon
Spr_b_g1_005.png

It looks like a sad camel

Idk why, but they legitimately make me laugh really hard. Like, I just find them hysterical for some reason. Like, if I stare at one too long, I just start laughing.

It's like the bizarre pairing of what my brain knows the pokemon looks like and what is displayed on the screen--just a bizarre thing that makes my brain laugh. Like someone saying "Burger Dicks" or something. Just bizarre.

A lot of them are pretty oof worthy. Some also seem to be in profile, rather than facing away, which is kinda weird.

w3Vud.png

Love Flareon's luxurious mane, though.

Vuapol

Spr_b_g1_058.png

It actually doesn't look as bad here, but on my 3DS screen, Growlithe's back sprite looks like a disfigured hyena drawn by a toddler using their non dominant hand.

Just started Yellow. I usually take any Pokemon that I have trade evolutions and put them through Pokemon Stadium and back again. But I would need a 2nd 3ds to do that here... Maybe I should buy my roommate a 3DS, force him to buy Pokemon, and then steal it to trade with myself whenever I need it.

Too far? It feels like it's too far. But Alakazam calls to me...

Buying Yellow instead essentially is the visual option. Yellow on GBC was basically the GBC mimicking what playing Red and Blue looks like on the Super Game Boy pretty much exactly (minus the SGB border), and as such is, while basic, the most deliberately thought out version of what Gen 1 is supposed to look like in color (lifebars reacting to how much HP is left, colorized Pokemon battle sprites, and the screen tint changing to match the name of the town).

I always thought that the colorization of Red/Blue on GBC was pretty blah, much less impressive than other GBC auto-colorizations of Nintendo-made black and white Game Boy games like Metroid II or Kirby's Dream Land. You might as well have just used one of the D-pad simple colorization options, because the effect was basically the same.

Juicy Bob

Are you bloody joking me, Nintendo?
Thanks for placing your order with us

We are sorry that the product(s) below has not yet been sent.

2DS Pokemon Blue Edition + Blue 2DS Case
2DS Pokémon Yellow Edition + Pikachu Multi Case

We are following this up and we will keep you updated on the status of your order.
I've been looking forward to this for weeks.

I'd love to see someone take that image of the back sprites and turn them into silhouettes and randomize their positions to see how many people can identify what they are.

Are you bloody joking me, Nintendo?

I've been looking forward to this for weeks.

I think it's extra worse because they just say "hey, relax and trust us" and don't give any clarification on what caused the problem.

Juicy Bob

I think it's extra worse because they just say "hey, relax and trust us" and don't give any clarification on what caused the problem.
I'm more annoyed for my girlfriend. I ordered the Pikachu one for her as she's never owned a games system in her life before but she got into Pokemon when we started playing the card game together and she really wanted the special Yellow 2DS so we could play through the OG games as a couple.

Oh well.

Firemind

By the time Chan got to actually use his signature elemental punches off his attack stat, he was completely outclassed by basically everything.

A shame.
Hitmonchan uses his Special stat for his elemental punches. :lol

Also Alakazam is probably the most broken pokemon you can get in-game. Maybe Tauros/Persian can compete but... Zam just wrecks Team Rocket singlehandedly.

Having a blast playing through Yellow again. Just beat my rival and am heading towards the elite four. I see a lot of people talking about game difficulty but I don't really remember it being any different.

Current Team :

Pikachu lv 41
Nidoking lv 41
Clefable lv 42
Vileplume lv 43
Charizard lv 41
Starmie lv 43

Don't think that the elite four will be too harsh, excited to take it on!

Top Bottom