• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Junahu

Item storage was absolutely brutal in Red/Blue/Yellow. Only 20 items in your bag, and 50 in the PC. I've been skipping non-essential key items, and I'm still banging my head against these strict limits just trying to store TMs. My PC is literally dedicated to just TMs, and my bag looks like this

Max Elixir
Full Restore
Max Revive
Rare Candy
PP Up
Master Ball
Moon stone
Nugget
Super rod
Bicycle
Poke Flute
Card Key
Secret Key
Coin Case
SS Ticket
[Empty slot for PC interaction and temporary storage of evolution stones, escape rope, repel, or stat boosters]
HM01
HM02
HM03
HM04

I seriously wish there was a way to ditch key items. I could have skipped the ss ticket and HM01 if I had someone to trade a hm slave over. And now that I can fly, I regret picking up the Bicycle.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
QcExz0M.jpg

look what amazon mailed me!

So I'm in here chatting but I don't actually have the rerelease yet. I still can't decide which version I want.

Red version, to recreate my original red playthrough from 17 years ago and result in having my original Red team transferable to modern pokemon games?
Yellow to try something new and result in a different team than I originally had?

The obvious answer at first was Yellow because that's something new that I haven't played, but I'm so tempted by the idea of having my OG Red Team transferred up. Plus that Yellow intro replacing the r/b intro is a travesty.

Well it didn't take long for me to find something that completely corrupted the save file.

WVW69i8riyEaoU4IF1

Didn't even play any glitch music or anything. Just crashed and deleted the save. How disappointing.

Red version, to recreate my original red playthrough from 17 years ago and result in having my original Red team transferable to modern pokemon games?
Yellow to try something new and result in a different team than I originally had?

We're exactly the same. I played the piss out of blue when I was a kid (got all 150 pokemon TWICE) but never played yellow even though I thought it was a cool premise. I was really torn on which one to choose but ultimately I went with yellow because:

1. They're still 99% identical
2. The 1% that isn't adds a bit of spice to the proceedings
3. I can still make my old Blue team (Charizard, Allakhazam, Jolteon & Articuno), and I just named myself Blue
I blue myself!
4. Mew glitch is very easy to do to transfer to Sun & Moon

JSoup

Banned
Still not sure if I want to bother or not. I mean, I have the physical games less than 10 feet from where I'm sitting.

But the convenience and all.....

Didn't realize that Brock was such a scrub. Against my Charmander his Geodude only used defense curl the entire time. His Onix was actually doing damage, but then I threw out my Nidoran and he only started using Bide. Didn't even need anything good against rock/ground types lol

Mr-Joker

Banned
Item storage was absolutely brutal in Red/Blue/Yellow. Only 20 items in your bag, and 50 in the PC. I've been skipping non-essential key items, and I'm still banging my head against these strict limits just trying to store TMs. My PC is literally dedicated to just TMs, and my bag looks like this

Max Elixir
Full Restore
Max Revive
Rare Candy
PP Up
Master Ball
Moon stone
Nugget
Super rod
Bicycle
Poke Flute
Card Key
Secret Key
Coin Case
SS Ticket
[Empty slot for PC interaction and temporary storage of evolution stones, escape rope, repel, or stat boosters]
HM01
HM02
HM03
HM04

I seriously wish there was a way to ditch key items. I could have skipped the ss ticket and HM01 if I had someone to trade a hm slave over. And now that I can fly, I regret picking up the Bicycle.

It's best not to horde everything.

What I do is sell the TM that I know that I won't use, dump the key items in the PC along with any important items that I plan to use later like TM, rare candy, nugget, Master ball, etc.

QcExz0M.jpg

look what amazon mailed me!

Sweet, I am hoping that we European get the faceplate as I want that Charizard one and I don't even own a super 3DS.

Didn't realize that Brock was such a scrub. Against my Charmander his Geodude only used defense curl the entire time. His Onix was actually doing damage, but then I threw out my Nidoran and he only started using Bide. Didn't even need anything good against rock/ground types lol

Fun fact: my Charmander's ember once burned Brock's Pokémon but he would just heal with it a full heal.

Okay so

I was gonna farm money with Pay Day to get Porygon, but I realized Meowth is not catchable in Yellow.

I'm already past the point where I can do the Mew glitch to get a Meowth (wouldn't even know which Pokemon to battle to get it) so I'm fucked right?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Junahu

What I do is sell the TM that I know that I won't use, dump the key items in the PC along with any important items that I plan to use later like TM, rare candy, nugget, Master ball, etc.
I want a file that's prepared with all the TMs, so I can give impossible movesets to pokemon I transfer to the next pokemon games. Trust me, I wouldn't hold on to garbage like Water Gun and Razor Wind otherwise.

Edit:
Okay so

I was gonna farm money with Pay Day to get Porygon, but I realized Meowth is not catchable in Yellow.

I'm already past the point where I can do the Mew glitch to get a Meowth (wouldn't even know which Pokemon to battle to get it) so I'm fucked right?

Anyone have any suggestions?
Pay Day is a TM, you don't need Meowth.

I want a file that's prepared with all the TMs, so I can give impossible movesets to pokemon I transfer to the next pokemon games. Trust me, I wouldn't hold on to garbage like Water Gun and Razor Wind otherwise.

Edit:

Pay Day is a TM, you don't need Meowth.

Yeah I was kinda hoping to get my Porygon as soon as I made it to Celadon but I guess I'll have to wait for the TM (I'll have to surf to get to it)

Is there any possible way to get Meowth using the Mew glitch? Links to a list of common desired values for that glitch?

Junahu

Yeah I was kinda hoping to get my Porygon as soon as I made it to Celadon but I guess I'll have to wait for the TM (I'll have to surf to get to it)

Is there any possible way to get Meowth using the Mew glitch? Links to a list of common desired values for that glitch?
I've been using this to find trainers that give specific pokemon with the glitch.

Meowth requires you to battle a pokemon with a special stat of 77. Wild/Trainer pokemon with that much special are pretty late into the game.
If you yourself have a pokemon with that special stat, you can battle a wild Ditto and have it turn into that pokemon. But you need the poke flute to get to the routes with Ditto on it. And by that point, you could just grab surf from the safari zone.

Sweet, I am hoping that we European get the faceplate as I want that Charizard one and I don't even own a super 3DS.

Fun fact: my Charmander's ember once burned Brock's Pokémon but he would just heal with it a full heal.

My Charmander burned one of his Pokemon as well. I find it interesting that it shows how the AI technically chooses a move after your move (assuming you go first) instead of at the same time. Maybe that's common knowledge, but I don't have a lot of experience with Gen 1.

Heropon

An evil Fearow almost kills my precious Pikachu, I was already thinking of the substitute while the HP bar was going down. In return that monster got slashed and route 17 has become the first zone where I fail a capture.

I've been using this to find trainers that give specific pokemon with the glitch.

Meowth requires you to battle a pokemon with a special stat of 77. Wild/Trainer pokemon with that much special are pretty late into the game.
If you yourself have a pokemon with that special stat, you can battle a wild Ditto and have it turn into that pokemon. But you need the poke flute to get to the routes with Ditto on it. And by that point, you could just grab surf from the safari zone.

Gotcha. Thanks for the link and the help!

Mr-Joker

Banned
My Charmander burned one of his Pokemon as well. I find it interesting that it shows how the AI technically chooses a move after your move (assuming you go first) instead of at the same time. Maybe that's common knowledge, but I don't have a lot of experience with Gen 1.

Yeah the AI cheat even when you're switching Pokémon and lord help you should a slower Pokémon get sent to sleep in battle and you use the Pokéflute to wake it up.

Last night I downloaded Red, picked Bulbasaur as my starter then immediately lost the fight against Gary. I then went into the grass and lost the very first random fight against a Pidgey. I think that's more black outs than, say, the past 15 years playing Pokemon games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For someone who isn't super big into Pokémon I got some question.

I stopped playing my OG Gameboy in highschool so I missed the start of the Pokémon phenomenon.

I kinda want to play some Pokémon now though. I guess all of the recent hype has gotten to me.

That being said I have no nostalgia draw to these 3 VC titles.

So should I bother? Will I enjoy the experience or will I hate that it is gen 1 and misses all of the changes Pokémon has gone through throughout the years?

If I jump in I think I'd probably prefer to just get yellow cause its a GBC game. Is that a bad place to start?

Should I just not bother and save my 10 bucks? Wait for Sun and Moon? What say you GAF?

Last night I downloaded Red, picked Bulbasaur as my starter then immediately lost the fight against Gary. I then went into the grass and lost the very first random fight against a Pidgey. I think that's more black outs than, say, the past 15 years playing Pokemon games.
I didn't even know it was possible to lose the first fight!

105.Will

I stopped playing my OG Gameboy in highschool so I missed the start of the Pokémon phenomenon.

I kinda want to play some Pokémon now though. I guess all of the recent hype has gotten to me.

So should I bother? Will I enjoy the experience or will I hate that it is gen 1 and misses all of the changes Pokémon has gone through throughout the years?

If I jump in I think I'd probably prefer to just get yellow cause its a GBC game. Is that a bad place to start?

Should I just not bother and save my 10 bucks? Wait for Sun and Moon? What say you GAF?

Yellows a fine place to join in. Gen 1 lacks a lot of the convince features found in the later games, but since you haven't played any of the later one's you won't even notice. All in all i'd say go for it, the games hold up pretty well.

I forgot how awful Silph is. What an annoying dungeon. Had to make a number of runs to the Center to heal and drop off items.

Also I just noticed I'm supposed to beat Sabrina after Koga... but I just did Silph, why would I go and do a whole other area before finishing off Saffron City...

So here's the team standing in front of Saffron Gym

El Tigre - Persian 36
Dood - Dodrio 35
Sparkster - Jolteon 35
Lazzy - Charmeleon 33
Elvis - Nidoking 33
Bruce - Hitmonlee 32

The end game team is almost done. Hitmonlee will be with me for awhile, until I get Articuno. Although I guess if Hitmonlee works out, I could skip Articuno, but Fighting types are kind of bad in Gen 1, and I really need Ice coverage.

I would just start with one of the modern games if I were you. If you really want to play something right away, probably get XY or ORAS, but otherwise, yeah, just wait until SM.

One thing in favour of getting one of the 3DS games right away is the fact that Nintendo are distributing "Mythical" Pokemon through in-store and online events all this year. You won't get those if you wait. They're not a huge draw for everyone and in truth will tend to break the game, but they're not catchable in-game so they're highly prized by a lot of players.

eefara

I'd start with one of the newer games, like XY or ORAS. Gen 1 is kind of janky with its mechanics and limitations, so it's not necessarily the best place for newcomers. If you can get ahold of FireRed, LeafGreen, or HGSS, even better, as those are considered pretty good remakes.

If you decide you do want to start with RBY, Yellow is a perfectly good place to start. You'll get color and all three starters, though be aware you'll (of course) need access to glitches or Red/Blue to fill your Pokedex.

As someone who didn't play the original games, what glitches/bugs should I be aware of to take advantage of?

Never use Focus Energy. It's bugged and will actually halve your crit ratio, not double it as it says it should.

Other than that, the glitches really aren't noticeable unless you look for them.

What's that glitch where you have to growl six times? I remember something about it in this thread
It lets you get a Lv 100 Mew very early

While you're doing the early Mew glitch, you need to growl at the male swimmer in Mysty's gym's second Pokemon six times. It lowers his attack stat, which is the piece of data the game draws upon to determine the level of the Mew you find. If you do the growl six times, the Mew you find is at Lv 1, which usually isn't possible in the Gen 1 games.

Because of this, it's possible to trigger an underflow error when it gains experience that will max out your experience points. The reason for this is that technically, its total experience is a negative number at Lv 1. Thus, if you gain experience, but not enough to reach level 2, the experience calculator will see that you have this out-of-bounds level of experience, which is an error. The standard response to an out of bounds level of experience is to just reset the number to the maximum legal amount (Lv 100)

Basically, you need to get into a battle and let the Lv 1 Mew gain a little experience but not enough to level up. Then it becomes a Lv 100 Mew.

I didn't do this, because a Lv 100 Mew just breaks the game too much. I want the game to be fun and one-shotting everything gets old quick.

EDIT: To be clear, I still caught Mew, but I just caught him at his "default" level of 7.

As someone who didn't play the original games, what glitches/bugs should I be aware of to take advantage of?
Glitches you can take advantage of:

- Early Mew glitch
- Catch Safari Zone Pokemon outside the Safari Zone
- Missingno. (infinite items, glitched Pokemon)
- Glitch City (sequence breaking)

(Warning: the bolded can corrupt your save data right proper)

Other glitches:

- Critical hits are calculated off your speed. This means that faster 'mons should always be given high-crit-ratio moves
- Focus Energy is supposed to raise your Critical Hit ratio. It halves it instead. Dire Hit may work the same way.
- The status effect Frozen is meant to wear off after a number of turns. It doesn't actually wear off unless the frozen 'mon is hit with a fire type move or a healing item
- Great Balls have the same catch ratio at 50% health as at 1 HP (just Great Balls, no other balls are affected by this glitch)
- The super effective / not very effective messages you see during battle might be lying to you if the Pokemon being hit is a dual type. If you hit (say) a Grass/Flying type with an Electric attack, the "It's super effective" message would come up. This is a bug. There should be no message. Even though Flying is weak to Electric, Grass resists Electric, so the damage modifiers cancel one another out. What the game does is to calculate the damage correctly by stacking the modifiers, but lets the second modifier message overwrite the first. (i.e. what should happen: Electric hits Grass "It's not very effective", Electric hits Flying "It's super effective" = No message, what actually happens: Electric hits Grass "It's not very effective", Electric hits Flying "It's super effective" = "It's super effective")
- You can fish in statues. No really. Try it!

devonodev

Playing through Red for the first time, although I was all about Pokemon as a kid, my first game I actually owned was Gold. It still holds up, but I really wish it had color.

As I grew tired of catching them all in modern games with my complete dex, I just got my 5th badge with Charizard, having not caught a single Pokemon.
I'm going to catch a Slowpoke soon just so I can teach it Surf, and I did mistakenly think Charizard would be able to learn Fly. I would have got myself a Mew to be a HM slave, but by the time I decided to get one, I had already missed my chance.

WVW69i8sUj4jw8W7eR

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks GAF.

I played a few hours of Leaf Green back in the day, and I bought X on the 3ds when it came out. X was the only real Poke game I put time into. Eventually burnt out on it, and the frame rate being balls didn't help.

Oh well yolo you all said Yellow is OK to start, and I didn't want to drop $40. Plus my kids each have a copy of ORAS, and I didn't want to buy a 3rd. If only there were multiple save slots.

Fuck it yolo like I said though. Kids are asleep and the wife is at work. I want something to do so I guess it's time for my inner Pikachu to come out.

Hikami

Just bought Yellow, this should be fun. Haven't played this one before and it's been like 2 years since I finished X.

btkadams

Man I played these games TOO MUCH as a kid... It's been like 15 years since I played through Yellow and I am picking up hidden items on the ground like it was yesterday.

trixx

I blacked out quite a few times in Black and White 2. That plasma base us really hard. But yeah this game is tough. I blacked out about 6 times before the 3rd gym

Dishwalla

Banned
The Dugtrio's were great, provided you could catch one you could ride that motherfucker's Dig to an easy victory in Lt. Surge's gym.

Top Bottom