• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

I doubt we'll get the numbers, but I'm really curious how these ports sold.

I'm guessing likely the best selling VC games they've ever released.

On the 3DS at least I'm sure it's certain to be up there. The only other 3DS VC release I can think of attracting much attention was Link's Awakening, when there was absolutely nothing else to play on it.

trixx

Hold start and press a when selecting the game

I used this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KogaMQUsAuE

Just need an abra and make sure you don't defeat the trainers in the video. The swimmer in the cerulean gym and the trainer on the left side of nugget bridge

On the 3DS at least I'm sure it's certain to be up there. The only other 3DS VC release I can think of attracting much attention was Link's Awakening, when there was absolutely nothing else to play on it.

Yeah it's probably up there with top wii u vc releases as well. Wii U vc is pretty good quality of games just needs more of them. Love the GBA selection especially.

Just did rock tunnel, took like an hour to do the hole sequence after Lt. Surge. I'm done for the day

Bane

I wasn't planning on picking one of these up but the pokemon bank support won me over. Played Red back in the day so think I'm going Yellow this time.

Yeah. Link's Awakening's VC release being announced at an E3 press conference probably helped, too.

That said, I imagine this probably sold gangbusters regardless. Anecdotal, but I streetpassed about 20 people today (Honestly, it's the first time I've bothered to leave my 3DS wireless on during travel in years) and about 12 of them were either currently playing Red Blue or Yellow. I don't think I've ever seen a VC game show up as someone's current played game before.

Ghazi

Never use Focus Energy. It's bugged and will actually halve your crit ratio, not double it as it says it should.

Other than that, the glitches really aren't noticeable unless you look for them.

It lets you get a Lv 100 Mew very early

While you're doing the early Mew glitch, you need to growl at the male swimmer in Mysty's gym's second Pokemon six times. It lowers his attack stat, which is the piece of data the game draws upon to determine the level of the Mew you find. If you do the growl six times, the Mew you find is at Lv 1, which usually isn't possible in the Gen 1 games.

Because of this, it's possible to trigger an underflow error when it gains experience that will max out your experience points. The reason for this is that technically, its total experience is a negative number at Lv 1. Thus, if you gain experience, but not enough to reach level 2, the experience calculator will see that you have this out-of-bounds level of experience, which is an error. The standard response to an out of bounds level of experience is to just reset the number to the maximum legal amount (Lv 100)

Basically, you need to get into a battle and let the Lv 1 Mew gain a little experience but not enough to level up. Then it becomes a Lv 100 Mew.

I didn't do this, because a Lv 100 Mew just breaks the game too much. I want the game to be fun and one-shotting everything gets old quick.

EDIT: To be clear, I still caught Mew, but I just caught him at his "default" level of 7.

Glitches you can take advantage of:

- Early Mew glitch
- Catch Safari Zone Pokemon outside the Safari Zone
- Missingno. (infinite items, glitched Pokemon)
- Glitch City (sequence breaking)

(Warning: the bolded can corrupt your save data right proper)

Other glitches:

- Critical hits are calculated off your speed. This means that faster 'mons should always be given high-crit-ratio moves
- Focus Energy is supposed to raise your Critical Hit ratio. It halves it instead. Dire Hit may work the same way.
- The status effect Frozen is meant to wear off after a number of turns. It doesn't actually wear off unless the frozen 'mon is hit with a fire type move or a healing item
- Great Balls have the same catch ratio at 50% health as at 1 HP (just Great Balls, no other balls are affected by this glitch)
- The super effective / not very effective messages you see during battle might be lying to you if the Pokemon being hit is a dual type. If you hit (say) a Grass/Flying type with an Electric attack, the "It's super effective" message would come up. This is a bug. There should be no message. Even though Flying is weak to Electric, Grass resists Electric, so the damage modifiers cancel one another out. What the game does is to calculate the damage correctly by stacking the modifiers, but lets the second modifier message overwrite the first. (i.e. what should happen: Electric hits Grass "It's not very effective", Electric hits Flying "It's super effective" = No message, what actually happens: Electric hits Grass "It's not very effective", Electric hits Flying "It's super effective" = "It's super effective")
- You can fish in statues. No really. Try it!
Thanks a bunch!

About time
WVW69i8s8qUjPFDtEd

Just past Surge and am starting to feel like Pikachu isn't worth the effort to keep.

My current team is:

Pikachu
Charmeleon
Wartortle
Ivysaur
Nidorino
Mew

I feel like I might replace him shortly with another Pokemon. My plan is to keep at least the 3 starters. Hitmonlee, Snorlax, and possibly something like Jolteon might take up Pikachus slot.

Any suggestions for 3 Pokemon?

Gsnap

Well. Got my Mew. I normally don't bother with glitches and such, but it was so simple. Even if it doesn't carry over in the bank it's worth it just to have it. If it does work in the bank, then that's great because I'll always have a mew moving forward regardless of how the handle events in the future.

Yrael

Playing through Red for the first time, although I was all about Pokemon as a kid, my first game I actually owned was Gold. It still holds up, but I really wish it had color.

As I grew tired of catching them all in modern games with my complete dex, I just got my 5th badge with Charizard, having not caught a single Pokemon.
I'm going to catch a Slowpoke soon just so I can teach it Surf, and I did mistakenly think Charizard would be able to learn Fly. I would have got myself a Mew to be a HM slave, but by the time I decided to get one, I had already missed my chance.

WVW69i8sUj4jw8W7eR

I could've sworn I taught a Charizard how to use Fly back in one of my old files (I remember it ending up with a moveset with four "F"s - Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Fire Spin and Fly).

Edit: Oh, I just looked it up - it could only learn Fly in the Yellow version. Well that's daft. :|

I bought the Yellow version since that was my first Pokemon game back in 1999.

I was able to get a level 100 Nidoking and a level 100 Venusaur via the "Mew Glitch" before fighting Brock, lol.

Now I just need to do the Mew Glitch to summon a Missingno and get hundreds of everything. But I heard that it's only possible until you fight Chandlers in Lavender Tower. Are there any trainers/pokemon that'll generate a Missingno sooner in the game?

Amory

I forgot how much this game drags after the Lt. Surge fight.

Diglett Tunnel back to Pewter City, back to Vermilion, back to Cerulean, then the Rock Tunnel which is easily the worst slag in the game, then Lavender Town but not before you go get the Silph Scope...

It picks up again but this isn't my favorite part

kyo2004

So, I'm playing Blue at snail pace (more time to spend in nostalgia mode :) )...

Here's the battle against Brock (I'm planning to record that with every Gym Leader and E4)

https://youtu.be/L0RZPrMNSZs

Currently heading to Mt. Moon with only Squirtle (Saitama) and Pidgey (Birdie). Next team member will be a Sansdrew or Geodude (depend on which one appears first).

Blues1990

WVW69i8uERwSk-lOfj

I'm surprised that the Virtual Console re-releases didn't censor the name of the NASA ship, given that the same shuttle in FireRed/LeafGreen was identified as "Space Shuttle", for obvious reasons.

Still, good on you Pokemon Company, for leaving the games as is. :)

sgjackson

Just beat Blue for the last time.

mOAerYF.jpg

iDUs704.jpg

30BtRoc.jpg

CVB91Nb.jpg

ObUEQAH.jpg

DcL4LYY.jpg

Honestly, I felt like a sucker when I bought this. In my head, the old games were anachronistic and aged poorly, and the only thing that got me to bite was being able to upload your catches into Sun/Moon. Yet, as I played, I realized the design of RBY still largely holds up, and the only dated bits are the graphics/sound (which are undeniably charming), and some irritating limitations with item/Pokemon storage that don't detract too much from the experience. I came in pretty down on Pokemon in general after not really feeling X/Y and ORAS, and 18 hours of nostalgia later I'm legitimately hyped for Sun/Moon. More than worth the 10 bucks. Well played, Nintendo/Game Freak.

And now I have a Master Ball with Mewtwo's name on it.

So I just encountered a lvl 7 Missingno using the Mew glitch cause some bastard had the wrong list of Special/Pokemon spawns. If I turned my game off and didn't save, my last save being before even initiating the glitch with the trainer, is there still a possibilty my game is gonne be fucked up? My save file is okay

So I just encountered a lvl 7 Missingno using the Mew glitch cause some bastard had the wrong list of Special/Pokemon spawns. If I turned my game off and didn't save, my last save being before even initiating the glitch with the trainer, is there still a possibilty my game is gonne be fucked up? My save file is okay
MissingNo. is actually harmless. It would have only added 128 to your 6th item and screwed up your Hall of Fame data which probably doesn't exist yet.

However, encountering MissingNo. causes the game to save (the reason why the screen is black for so long before encountering it). I'm not sure if that save keeps the +128 items afterward, but if they're there, that would explain it.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I got about 45 minutes into Blue before my battery died. I forgot that Nintendo doesn't include a charger with new 3DSes. That's such incredible bullshit.

Blues1990

Just beat Blue for the last time.

mOAerYF.jpg

iDUs704.jpg

30BtRoc.jpg

CVB91Nb.jpg

ObUEQAH.jpg

DcL4LYY.jpg

Honestly, I felt like a sucker when I bought this. In my head, the old games were anachronistic and aged poorly, and the only thing that got me to bite was being able to upload your catches into Sun/Moon. Yet, as I played, I realized the design of RBY still largely holds up, and the only dated bits are the graphics/sound (which are undeniably charming), and some irritating limitations with item/Pokemon storage that don't detract too much from the experience. I came in pretty down on Pokemon in general after not really feeling X/Y and ORAS, and 18 hours of nostalgia later I'm legitimately hyped for Sun/Moon. More than worth the 10 bucks. Well played, Nintendo/Game Freak.

And now I have a Master Ball with Mewtwo's name on it.

What was the move-set for your team?

Kadabra or Hypno? I've got no one to trade with so I can't get Alakazam and I'm debating what to swap my Butterfree with in future. Obviously Mew is also a possibility, but that kind of feels like cheating.

Kadabra or Hypno? I've got no one to trade with so I can't get Alakazam and I'm debating what to swap my Butterfree with in future. Obviously Mew is also a possibility, but that kind of feels like cheating.
If you want a fast psychic type, go with Kadabra. Hypno is more defensive and can cause sleep, but Kadabra is faster and has a slightly better Special potential.

Man Sabrina is tough in Yellow. Level 50 Alakazam especially in Gen I seems like it's not even fair. First time I've save-scummed a gym battle in a looong time.

Of course, my team - an Ash Ketchum tribute - certainly has something to do with it:

Lv44 Charmander (Charlie)
Lv43 Pikachu (Pippin)
Lv41 Butterfree (Butters)
Lv39 Pidgeotto (Chester)
Lv37 Squirtle (Sheldon)
Lv36 Bulbasaur (Bernie)

That's right, no evos except Butterfree and Pidgeotto. I mean if I were doing this in true Ash Ketchum style, I would have caught it as a Pidgeotto, but man I didn't feel like wasting that much time in Viridian Forest. Evolving the starters would certainly make things a lot easier. But what's the fun in that? I mean I could evolve Charmander I guess but both Charmeleon and Charizard have such fugly back sprites.

Taking down 'zammy was simple, paralyzed and Flash-spammed with Butterfree and then switched in Charmander, who knows Seismic Toss. Three of those took it down.

Onto Cinnibar WOO. Also really need to get Squirtle and Bulbasaur to start pulling their own weight, but Bulbasaur is strong against the last gym and Squirtle against the last two so they'll get their turns.

Man Sabrina is tough in Yellow. Level 50 Alakazam especially in Gen I seems like it's not even fair. First time I've save-scummed a gym battle in a looong time.

Of course, my team - an Ash Ketchum tribute - certainly has something to do with it:

Lv43 Pikachu (Pippin)
Lv39 Pidgeotto (Chester)
Lv37 Squirtle (Sheldon)
Lv36 Bulbasaur (Bernie)

That's right, no evos except Butterfree and Pidgeotto. I mean if I were doing this in true Ash Ketchum style, I would have caught it as a Pidgeotto, but man I didn't feel like wasting that much time in Viridian Forest. Evolving the starters would certainly make things a lot easier. But what's the fun in that? I mean I could evolve Charmander I guess but both Charmeleon and Charizard have such fugly back sprites.

Taking down 'zammy was simple, paralyzed and Flash-spammed with Butterfree and then switched in Charmander, who knows Seismic Toss. Three of those took it down.

Onto Cinnibar WOO. Also really need to get Squirtle and Bulbasaur to start pulling their own weight, but Bulbasaur is strong against the last gym and Squirtle against the last two so they'll get their turns.
I was under the impression that save states were disabled for this game.

Illucio

Banned

Lv43 Pikachu (Pippin)
Lv39 Pidgeotto (Chester)
Lv37 Squirtle (Sheldon)
Lv36 Bulbasaur (Bernie)

You need to release Butterfree, evolve Charmander to Charizard and have him constantly disobey you for being over leveled, catch a Mankey/Release, catch a Krabby and evolve it to Kingler, Catch 30 Tauros, and a Muk.

Delio

Well finished the game and now it's off to capture Mewtwo and level up some stuff to bring forward. My team at the end was

ZapTitan ( Zapdos) Lv 51
Brute ( Rhydon) Lv 43
Supercluck (Fearow) Lv41
Terror ( Cloyster) Lv 42
WhiteMage ( Chansey) Lv 43
OMGmyHEAD! ( Kadabra) Lv 41

Was a good run. Ended up ditching Venasaur near the end cause everything else was pretty much doing his job. Zapdos was added right before the league and used very rarely.
I actually got to use two things I never use in my ingame runs (Cloyster and Chansey) so that was fun.

If you want a fast psychic type, go with Kadabra. Hypno is more defensive and can cause sleep, but Kadabra is faster and has a slightly better Special potential.

Gotcha. Kadabra it is. That's part of my final team sorted.

Pikachu (Will be removed once I'm done)
Nidoking
Blastoise
Kadabra
???
???

I'm feeling Charizard, especially since I can teach it Fly, but I'll see when I get further in the game, plus a look at movesets. The other two starters would be the easy way out. Still before Mt. Moon, got distracted by Apollo Justice and The Wind Waker yesterday.

MissingNo. is actually harmless. It would have only added 128 to your 6th item and screwed up your Hall of Fame data which probably doesn't exist yet.

However, encountering MissingNo. causes the game to save (the reason why the screen is black for so long before encountering it). I'm not sure if that save keeps the +128 items afterward, but if they're there, that would explain it.

It only corrupts the HoF data in the save, it doesn't actually write the entire save.

Robin64

Is it ever explained why the Elite 4 setup in this is "odd"?

In every game since Gen1, the final stretch is the Elite 4 then the Champion.

In Gen1, you fight the Elite 4 then Blue, who is only just the new Champion, right? But he just beat Lance, who was the previous Champion, which means Lance wasn't part of the Elite 4?

Or did Lance get relegated down into the E4 after his defeat as Champion, and an unknown member of the E4 got kicked out?

Top Bottom