• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Is it ever explained why the Elite 4 setup in this is "odd"?

In every game since Gen1, the final stretch is the Elite 4 then the Champion.

In Gen1, you fight the Elite 4 then Blue, who is only just the new Champion, right? But he just beat Lance, who was the previous Champion, which means Lance wasn't part of the Elite 4?

Or did Lance get relegated down into the E4 after his defeat as Champion, and an unknown member of the E4 got kicked out?

The way I saw it, Blue had just got done beating the Elite Four. He wasn't given the role or task of Champion, he just won before you did. They probably had it set up for a 5th champion/leader in Gen 2 because, as you pointed out, it didn't make much sense.

Dishwalla

Banned
When is the earliest you can get a thunderstone? Pikachu needs to evolve.

Celadon Department Store, although there's one or two(can't remember) in the Power Plant. However in Yellow Pikachu will refuse to evolve, you'd have to get another Pikachu in a trade from Red or Blue.

Desmond

I bought the Yellow version since that was my first Pokemon game back in 1999.

I was able to get a level 100 Nidoking and a level 100 Venusaur via the "Mew Glitch" before fighting Brock, lol.

Now I just need to do the Mew Glitch to summon a Missingno and get hundreds of everything. But I heard that it's only possible until you fight Chandlers in Lavender Tower. Are there any trainers/pokemon that'll generate a Missingno sooner in the game?

What? haha

Delio

The way I saw it, Blue had just got done beating the Elite Four. He wasn't given the role or task of Champion, he just won before you did. They probably had it set up for a 5th champion/leader in Gen 2 because, as you pointed out, it didn't make much sense.

Yeah I always felt that in canon you were right on his heels to the Pokemon League and he barely beat you. Didn't even get to enjoy being champion for like a few hours.

Robin64

Is capturing Mew done through that old glitch method or is there a new proper way of getting him for the 3DS re-release?

We're all catching him through the glitch.

In Japan, they have a distribution for him, but I don't know if we'll get one in the west.

Lv. 25 Diglett OHKOs Lt. Surge's Lv. 28 Raichu with Dig.

ggkjq.gif

sgjackson

What was the move-set for your team?

Dodrio: Drill Peck, Tri Attack, Fly, Toxic
Snorlax: Body Slam, Rest, Submission, Surf
Hypno: Psychic, Hypnosis, Headbutt, Thunder Wave
Nidoking: Earthquake, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Rock Slide
Jolteon: Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Double Kick, Quick Attack
Blastoise: Surf, Blizzard, Strength, Submission

Main thing I'd do differently is save Rock Slide for Snorlax - it was largely redundant with Ice Beam on Nidoking and Snorlax probably could have used a little more utility. He was still great tossing out STAB Body Slams and resting off big hits, though. Late game he was my Alakazam fighter.

I forgot how awful Silph is. What an annoying dungeon. Had to make a number of runs to the Center to heal and drop off items.

Also I just noticed I'm supposed to beat Sabrina after Koga... but I just did Silph, why would I go and do a whole other area before finishing off Saffron City...

So here's the team standing in front of Saffron Gym

El Tigre - Persian 36
Dood - Dodrio 35
Sparkster - Jolteon 35
Lazzy - Charmeleon 33
Elvis - Nidoking 33
Bruce - Hitmonlee 32

The end game team is almost done. Hitmonlee will be with me for awhile, until I get Articuno. Although I guess if Hitmonlee works out, I could skip Articuno, but Fighting types are kind of bad in Gen 1, and I really need Ice coverage.
Silph was honestly the most memorable dungeon for me. I'm not sure if those are good memories or not though.

I finally found a game I can play easily after my sight loss. I'm so happy.

Can only play it for 30 minute bursts but damn, it's good to game again. Even if it a 20 year old game.

Silph was honestly the most memorable dungeon for me. I'm not sure if those are good memories or not though.

Wander around through 10 floors, battling trainers who 90% of them can poison you, the other 10% can take 50% of your HP off if you don't OHKO them due to Selfdestruct. Piles of items to fill up your bag, some of which is junk like X-Accuracy, but there's like 3 TMs, so you need room. And then there's the warp panels.

It took me an hour and some change to beat it, and I had to go to the center to heal and drop off items several times.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is it ever explained why the Elite 4 setup in this is "odd"?

In every game since Gen1, the final stretch is the Elite 4 then the Champion.

In Gen1, you fight the Elite 4 then Blue, who is only just the new Champion, right? But he just beat Lance, who was the previous Champion, which means Lance wasn't part of the Elite 4?

Or did Lance get relegated down into the E4 after his defeat as Champion, and an unknown member of the E4 got kicked out?

The way I saw it was the the original champion retired so they were looking for a new champion, hence that message on Oak PC at his Lab, and it just happened that Blue was the first trainer to defeat them was crowned champion....for like 5 minutes till Red steal it from him.

Then in Gen 2 Red probably stepped down making Lance the champion. Lorelei and Agatha also stepped down with Will and Karen taking their place along with Koga.

Heropon

Just caught Snorlax and I think I'll try to abuse amnesia, so I'm thinking about which MT should I use on him. Blizzard, fire blast, psychic, surf and thunderbolt sound like the best candidates but I have to consider that the other pokemon in the team already offer that coverage except for fire, which isn't too important because except for Jynx/Articuno, flying is more or less the same.

Weetrick

Loving Pokemon Blue so far. It's a great joy to re-experience the origin of the franchise. I was in sixth grade when it came out and I instantly caught poke-fever.

BTW, is Sandshrew the best sprite in the original games (not counting Yellow)? I mean, look at this little guy...

sandshrew-color.png

Rizzi

Loving Pokemon Blue so far. It's a great joy to re-experience the origin of the franchise. I was in sixth grade when it came out and I instantly caught poke-fever.

BTW, is Sandshrew the best sprite in the original games (not counting Yellow)? I mean, look at this little guy...

sandshrew-color.png

That's an actually adorable sprite, and I'm a little sad that Sandshrew doesn't look like that anymore.

Firemind

Wander around through 10 floors, battling trainers who 90% of them can poison you, the other 10% can take 50% of your HP off if you don't OHKO them due to Selfdestruct. Piles of items to fill up your bag, some of which is junk like X-Accuracy, but there's like 3 TMs, so you need room. And then there's the warp panels.

It took me an hour and some change to beat it, and I had to go to the center to heal and drop off items several times.
i know

isn't it wonderful?

Kyzer

Banned
Noticed for the first time in my life that the guy in Pokemon Fan Club says "Hmph, my Pikachu is twice as cute as that one." when you have one in your party.

I think by the time I hit vermilion city back in the day I would already be in A mashing mode. Damn how long has it been since FRLG? Damn this is gonna be great who knows what other little things I never noticed!

Lucario

it got much worse when I used this shit^

there is no longer a limit on how many pokemon I can have in my party. I just withdrew an entire box, no problem

my music is pretty fucked up, sometimes it plays 2 or 3 tracks at once, sometimes it plays really boss remixes of whatever

the game locks up if I try to go in here

there are something like 200 pokemon in my party now, most of them level 82 Charizards that copied the moveset of my HM mew

pls send old priest + young priest

it happened when I used this shit^

there is no longer a limit on how many pokemon I can have in my party. I just withdrew an entire box, no problem

my music is pretty fucked up, sometimes it plays 2 or 3 tracks at once, sometimes it plays really boss remixes of whatever

the game locks up if I try to go in here

there are something like 200 pokemon in my party now, most of them level 82 Charizards that copied the moveset of my HM mew

pls send old priest + young priest

Just don't save, whatever you do.
I used to do the ZZAZZ glitch all the time just to see the crazy effects. If you win a battle in this state you can get members of your glitch party to evolve as well IIRC.

EDIT: What happened to your 3DS screen tho?

Lucario

Just don't save, whatever you do.
I used to do the ZZAZZ glitch all the time just to see the crazy effects. If you win a battle in this state you can get members of your glitch party to evolve as well IIRC.

Whoops! I saved at least once already, but not after using the move in battle. Had seen it on the field by using rare candies on my ">AY", though. Should be fine?

I'm trying to catch every unique glitch pokemon to see what Pokebank will accept.

EDIT: What happened to your 3DS screen tho?

stepped on it and didn't wanna pay nintendo $130 for a new one. At least it matches this run.

Whoops! I saved at least once already, but not after using the move in battle. Had seen it on the field by using rare candies on my ">AY", though. Should be fine?

I'm trying to catch every unique glitch pokemon to see what Pokebank will accept.

stepped on it and didn't wanna pay nintendo $130 for a new one. At least it matches this run.

Yeah, just don't save with ZZAZZ(or similar) in effect and you'll be fine. Also never save if your trainer name looks corrupted, an unterminated trainer name in the save file equals a dead save.

sandshrew-color.png

Sandbro is best bro. It gets Slash pretty damn early, and while it's not quite the crit machine that Persian is, it still gets them pretty consistently. The moves it learns kinda sucks otherwise, but throw Dig on it until you get Earthquake.

pSfQiQs.jpg

And Sandslash is just cool looking. Still my favorite line in Gen 1.

Makonero

Sandbro is best bro. It gets Slash pretty damn early, and while it's not quite the crit machine that Persian is, it still gets them pretty consistently. The moves it learns kinda sucks otherwise, but throw Dig on it until you get Earthquake.

pSfQiQs.jpg

And Sandslash is just cool looking. Still my favorite line in Gen 1.

I'll never understand why the Nidos and this line don't learn a single ground type move. It's almost as frustrating as the fact that Voltorb doesn't learn any Electric type moves and the fossils never learn any Rock type moves.

It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

Top Bottom