• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

What's the best way to catch Pokémon in the Safari Zone? Trying to get Exeggcute, Tauros and Chansey but no combination of bait and rocks can net me one before it runs away.

Stuart444

What's the best way to catch Pokémon in the Safari Zone? Trying to get Exeggcute, Tauros and Chansey but no combination of bait and rocks can net me one before it runs away.

Luck and persistence probably? Never had much issue with Exeggcute though myself (at least in the original carts)

If you walk around in an area in the safari zone for a bit and then fly to Cinnabar the strip of water where Missingno. appears will have the encounters of that area IIRC.

Boney

Banned
I don't remember exactly but I think bait makes them less likely to run but they're harder to catch and rocks do the opposite. If you do both they basically cancel each other out. I almost always just go for the poke ball right away.

Heropon

Sandbro is best bro. It gets Slash pretty damn early, and while it's not quite the crit machine that Persian is, it still gets them pretty consistently. The moves it learns kinda sucks otherwise, but throw Dig on it until you get Earthquake.

pSfQiQs.jpg

And Sandslash is just cool looking. Still my favorite line in Gen 1.

Sandslash is right now my MVP thanks to Slash, Dig and his high defense. He tanks selfdestructing Voltorbs like a champion. I feel like a find newfound appreciation for a different pokemon everytime I start a new game and this time is Sandslash's time to shine.

backlot

I'll never understand why the Nidos and this line don't learn a single ground type move. It's almost as frustrating as the fact that Voltorb doesn't learn any Electric type moves and the fossils never learn any Rock type moves.

It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

They wanted you to use your TMs back then. They're a lot more optional in modern games.

Lucario

My MVP for this run were Wigglytuff and Snorlax. I'm always too lazy to grind in RPGs, and they carried me like crazy.

Amnesia is so busted in this game.

I'll never understand why the Nidos and this line don't learn a single ground type move. It's almost as frustrating as the fact that Voltorb doesn't learn any Electric type moves and the fossils never learn any Rock type moves.

It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

Don't worry, it learns Poison Sting! ... At level 27.

Ground types were kinda screwed first gen. There are five ground type moves, two of which are exclusive to the Cubone line and one is a OHKO move, leaving Dig and Earthquake to everyone else. They could have made Sandslash learn Earthquake at like level 40 like the Diglett line, at least.

fhVZtcb.jpg

You'll need a lot of patience and luck, unfortunately. And money. If you can hit Chansey with like two rocks, you should be able to get it. Or maybe not. It'll take a while, especially with the rarer Pokemon.

I found it to not really be worth the trouble as a kid, but then again, I never really cared about the Pokedex.

Thanks for the info guys. I'd rather just do it legit even if it is a massive chore so I'll just keep chucking rocks at them until they obey.

Makonero

They wanted you to use your TMs back then. They're a lot more optional in modern games.

But Aerodactyl can't even learn Rock Slide from a TM. It makes no sense!

Don't worry, it learns Poison Sting! ... At level 27.

Ground types were kinda screwed first gen. There are five ground type moves, two of which are exclusive to the Cubone line and one is a OHKO move, leaving Dig and Earthquake to everyone else. They could have made Sandslash learn Earthquake at like level 40 like the Diglett line, at least.

Lots of types were screwed in the first gen. Poison, for example. And what's up with all the two-turn moves? Razor Wind, Sky Attack, Skull Bash... ugh.

21XX

Banned
Man, I'm getting tempted by all these posts. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I was obsessed with Pokemon during Gen 1 but, I'm not sure if I could play them again. Do they play as slowly as I remember them playing? What's an average finish time?

eefara

Man, I'm getting tempted by all these posts. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I was obsessed with Pokemon during Gen 1 but, I'm not sure if I could play them again. Do they play as slowly as I remember them playing? What's an average finish time?

I actually think they play pretty speedily; faster than modern gens, which drag for me. Anyway, I believe Shizuka was able to beat one of the games in around ~22 hours, and it seemed like he/she was running through the game (based on posts). I'm at about 14 hours in Fuchsia City.

Wiz

So I see there's a lot of Nidoking love going around!! I have him on my team too and it's crazy how many moves he can learn. And you can evolve him right after Mt. Moon, so he just wrecks everything for a good part of the game. Also he completely shuts down Lt. Surge lol.

Rizzi

So I see there's a lot of Nidoking love going around!! I have him on my team too and it's crazy how many moves he can learn. And you can evolve him right after Mt. Moon, so he just wrecks everything for a good part of the game. Also he completely shuts down Lt. Surge lol.

Nidoking mvp.

Qurupeke

It sucks that we can't trade Pokemon online, I wanted a Gengar. :(

It helps that Nidoran is an interesting type and very early. I got one for my team, I can't wait to evolve it.

krae_man

Got my boat ticket!

Gotta slow down a bit my Wartortle is encroaching on the badge level cap.

Time for my Pidgey to step up!

21XX

Banned
I actually think they play pretty speedily; faster than modern gens, which drag for me. Anyway, I believe Shizuka was able to beat one of the games in around ~22 hours, and it seemed like he/she was running through the game (based on posts). I'm at about 14 hours in Fuchsia City.

Cool. Thanks. Maybe I'll hop in one of these days and give it a go. If I get bogged down, I'll just glitch some rare candies and sweep sweep sweep away.

Coincidentally, he can't learn Dig. And he's a ground type. BUT HE CAN SURF!

Redd

Any way to teach Pikachu Surf? The only way I knew how was through Stadium back in the day. Don't care for the minigame just want the move.

Makonero

Got my boat ticket!

Gotta slow down a bit my Wartortle is encroaching on the badge level cap.

Time for my Pidgey to step up!

Does badge level cap really matter if the pokemon wasn't traded? I've never had a pokemon disobey in any game I've played unless it was traded.

Not having the right badge only causes traded Pokemon to not obey. This mechanic was added in to make it so you couldn't just steamroll with some other kid's level 100 Mewtwo. If it were that your own Pokemon could hit the cap, nobody's starter would obey them until Misty after level 10.

Kyzer

Banned
Badge level cap is definitely for traded Pokemon. The first time I played my team was like. Charizard. That's it.

Mafro

When does Mew actually start learning moves? Apparently in Yellow it's meant to get Transform at lvl10 but my one didn't.

Qurupeke

Something interesting I notice for the first time. I evolved Weedle to Kakuna and it can't use Poison Sting. The move always misses apparently...

Something interesting I notice for the first time. I evolved Weedle to Kakuna and it can't use Poison Sting. The move always misses apparently...

That's... odd. It's entirely possible you just got the 1/256 miss chance multiple times in a row, but you shouldn't be missing that much unless you were hit with Sand Attack first.

Sandbro is best bro. It gets Slash pretty damn early, and while it's not quite the crit machine that Persian is, it still gets them pretty consistently. The moves it learns kinda sucks otherwise, but throw Dig on it until you get Earthquake.

pSfQiQs.jpg

And Sandslash is just cool looking. Still my favorite line in Gen 1.

I think I agree. He is just too rad looking. Maybe Teddiursa for Gen 2.

Qurupeke

Junahu

I wasn't and I missed like 6-7 times. It could use String Shot just fine though. I'll finish the battle with Brock and check it again...
I actually experienced something similar with an Oddish missing absorb every single time against a Weepinbell that used Growth to boost its special.

I think that if a pokemon uses a stat boost to increase its defenses, it can reduce damage below the normal 1 hp minimum and force a miss.

I think...

I honestly don't know

edit: nevermind.

sonto340

I actually experienced something similar with an Oddish missing absorb every single time against a Weepinbell that used Growth to boost its special.

I think that if a pokemon uses a stat boost to increase its defenses, it can reduce damage below the normal 1 hp minimum and force a miss.

I think...

I honestly don't know

edit: nevermind.
This makes me wonder if newer gens handle it the same way and call it a de facto miss, or if it gives a but it failed or a nothing happened instead.

I think...

I honestly don't know

I had this happen as well. +6 defense Geodude kept making my Poison Sting from Nidorino miss way back at Mt Moon.

I just wanted to poison it so I could do some damage...

Dishwalla

Banned

Pretty sure I completely fried a Pokemon Red cart doing this, it screwed up my save and when I tried to start a new game as soon as Professor Oak appeared on screen it would freeze up while various sounds, like Gastly's cry, the sound effects for Surf and picking up an item, and several different music tracks, would all try and play at the same time. Never could fix that cartridge.

JoeM86

When does Mew actually start learning moves? Apparently in Yellow it's meant to get Transform at lvl10 but my one didn't.

Did it go from Level 9 to Level 11? If so, there's a glitch in Gen 1 where if a Pokémon levels up twice and goes over the level it should learn a move, it doesn't learn it.

Top Bottom