• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Firemind

I mean

Blue says this in the game: "It looks like your Pokemon aren't dead. I can at least make them faint!"

Blue is a real arsehole.

You don't get to complain when you have Starmie on your team.

Yeah I guess you're right, ahaha. With that one I kind of asked myself "how much do I want to hate my water type" and settled on "not at all." Though, I was close to putting Hyper Beam on a Kingler and going to town with that.

With Golbat, I was mostly referring to the fact that every time I saw one, I was waiting for it to use Acrobatics and completely ruin my day. I'm really glad Zubat and co. got some love in the later generations.

Firemind

Confuse Ray/Supersonic are enough to piss anyone off. Some even have both! I swear one time I hit myself five times in a row!

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't see how this is implied at all. Knowing Blue's personality it makes sense that he'd break in through the Rocket scrubs for the sole purpose of fucking with you.

Yeah he broke in, battled Giovanni for the badge and just decided to hang around as he saw Red in Saffron City and knew that he would eventually make his way up.

Personally I like to believe that Blue made a deal with Giovanni that he gets the badge without battling him but in return he has to either slow or stop Red from reaching Giovanni and when he lost he really didn't care about Giovanni as he had all the gym badge and can head off to the elite 4.

I mean

Blue says this in the game: "It looks like your Pokemon aren't dead. I can at least make them faint!"

Blue is a real arsehole.

Yep, Yellow really shows this well when he pushes you and steal the Eevee.

Wow, seems like people are really finishing this underleveled. Makes me wonder if I should bother trying to get a Dragonite in this game or if I should just go with another monster.

I like how Koga says "now prepare for my poison and sleep tactics"

But he lacks a Pokemon that can even learn a sleep inducing move.

I'm going to assume he was going to use Venomoth or Vileplume at some point.

Shizuka

Wow, seems like people are really finishing this underleveled. Makes me wonder if I should bother trying to get a Dragonite in this game or if I should just go with another monster.

My average level was 45 when I beat the game yesterday. Blastoise was a monster with Surf and Blizzard though, he was level 50 by the time I was done with it.

Rizzi

I mean

Blue is a real arsehole.

Your rival is actually kind of nice to you in most places though. He's always giving you hints on where to go next.
Also I forgot how broken wrap is in these games. It's a little absurd.

TheMink

Is there a guide that shows Pokemon locations and movesets that are the old versions?

I.e where do I get pikachu in red and when do I evolve him.

Crayolan

Dumb AI and garbage enemy movesets makes the endgame pathetically easy. If you want a Dragonite before the E4 you will pretty much have to grind specifically to evolve it.

Is there a guide that shows Pokemon locations and movesets that are the old versions?

Pikachu is a rare encounter in Viridian Forest and can be evolved with a Thunderstone from Celadon Department Store.

I think you can also find them more commonly in the Power Plant, but you need surf for that.

I like how Koga says "now prepare for my poison and sleep tactics"

But he lacks a Pokemon that can even learn a sleep inducing move.

I'm going to assume he was going to use Venomoth or Vileplume at some point.
Wonder if that's why Sabrina has one, someone misplaced it or something. Koga has Venomoth in Yellow and Gen 2, so they clearly thought about it.

TheMink said:

Serebii's Pokedex is currently pretty good at this, with a few errors as it's been recently updated. That should help you enough.

Serebii is your friend:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex/

But, yeah, Pikachu shows up 5% of the time in Viridian Forest.

It also doesn't learn Thunderbolt through level up in Red/Blue, so unless you have an attachment to Agility, you should evolve as soon as you find a thunderstone.

Fake Edit: I need to type faster or something, I've been beaten hard. Still, Pikachu's level-up moveset ain't great; it relies a lot on TMs, so keep that in mind.

eefara

Yeah, Serebii's Pokedex is excellent and generally the first place I check if I have a question that needs answering. Mind you don't check the Red/Blue movepools for Pokemon if you're playing Yellow; Yellow's movepools are a separate section underneath Red/Blue's.

nubbe

Serebii is your friend:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex/

But, yeah, Pikachu shows up 5% of the time in Viridian Forest.

It also doesn't learn Thunderbolt through level up in Red/Blue, so unless you have an attachment to Agility, you should evolve as soon as you find a thunderstone.

Fake Edit: I need to type faster or something, I've been beaten hard. Still, Pikachu's level-up moveset ain't great; it relies a lot on TMs, so keep that in mind.

evolve a pikachu?
what kind of a monster are you?

My Team so far:

Mew lvl 12
Geodude lvl 18
Pikachu lvl 19
Nidoran lvl 12
Abra lvl 10
Wartortle lvl 23

Any recomendations? (I have the blue version) :D

trixx

my team:
Pikachu- level 36
Venusaur- level 35
Vulpix- level 35
Lapras- level 15
Gonna get aerodactyl

i'm currently in the Silph Co.

I don't know if i should use snorlax or rhydon. Probably snorlax

Junahu

I don't see how this is implied at all. Knowing Blue's personality it makes sense that he'd break in through the Rocket scrubs for the sole purpose of fucking with you.
You find him in an area that's locked off from the rest of the building. He can't leave until you open the door for him. I always took his talk of waiting for you as just empty bravado to save face.

But, thinking about it, I'm probably wrong. Oh well.

Sol1dus

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into playing and she just won't even try. She says the graphics look too bad and there isn't enough variety for her. :( I'm bummed, she loves the DS games and pre ordered Sun...

What should I do to convince her it's worth it? Already told her about glitches, Pokemon bank, etc. she won't even give it a shot :(

People who force other people to like/play games kinda suck...don't be that guy. You're better than that.

Rizzi

pwuSmh2.jpg

Final team decided. Now to catch Vulpix and Doduo up with everyone else.

I feel like such a dummy. Just picked up Yellow about two days ago. Started getting into it and got stuck at Mt.Moon, didn't realize that I could use the stairs behind the hiker on the 1st floor. This whole time I thought I was needing to activate an event to get him to move, and then I realized I just needed to walk up from behind and use the stairs.
There goes an hour of game time.

Tauros and Normal types in general were monstrous in Gen 1. They're only weak to Fighting and the only easily teachable/competent Fighting move is Submission, which has recoil damage. Rock was supposed to balance them out, but they gave most Normal types access to either Bubblebeam or Ice Beam/Blizzard. People talk about Psychic being the overpowered type, but Normal in Gen 1 was almost as bad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Tauros and Normal types in general were monstrous in Gen 1. They're only weak to Fighting and the only easily teachable/competent Fighting move is Submission, which has recoil damage. Rock was supposed to balance them out, but they gave most Normal types access to either Bubblebeam or Ice Beam/Blizzard. People talk about Psychic being the overpowered type, but Normal in Gen 1 was almost as bad.

Which is why Steel type was brought in to put normal type back in their place.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Im at the second gym. Where can I catch abra? I want to to the mew glitch

I've tried the grass above the city to no avail. :(

Top Bottom