• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Aw yes, I caught me a Pinsir in the Yellow Safari zone which is a first for me.
But for some sick reason it's level 15, LEVEL 15!
There's Nidoran at level 36 chilling in this place and the beastly bug of rarity comes strolling it at a piddly 15?!

Oh well, it's good to know that time has not diminished the allure of the original safari zone.
Let's take out the time to appreciate just how much better it is than all its successors. Unique and rare pokemon? check
Good items to collect? check
Ability to throw rocks at pokemon you don't like? check
Wonderful, though one peeve right now is that I've thrown like 10 safari balls at various Chansey and none of them even hit the target, what devilry is this?

There's Nidoran at level 36 chilling in this place and the beastly bug of rarity comes strolling it at a piddly 15?!

Oh well, it's good to know that time has not diminished the allure of the original safari zone.
Let's take out the time to appreciate just how much better it is than all its successors. Unique and rare pokemon? check
Wonderful, though one peeve right now is that I've thrown like 10 safari balls at various Chansey and none of them even hit the target, what devilry is this?
fhVZtcb.jpg

You have to hit it with a rock or two before you can even hit it with a safari ball.

Machine

I may have been a little unprepared when I wandered into the Fuchsia Gym. I went up to that first trainer and his level 38 Hypno was about 15 levels higher than anything I had with me. Chandler, Joey, Ross, Rachel, Monica and Phoebe didn't stand a chance as his psychic attack tore through them like wet tissue paper. Time make some changes and gain some levels before I tackle this again. I forgot what a big jump in average opponent levels there is between the fourth and fifth gyms.

Tried to catch Chansey in the Safari Zone, had a hell of a time even finding one. Caught one, and figured "Fuck it, I'll just do the Safari Zone glitch to get Tauros."

So of course after I do the glitch, the only things that pop up while surfing along Cinnabar are Nidorinas and Chansey.

Whyyyyyyyyy

I skipped the whole Pokemon thing when it first came out so I'm finally playing Pokemon Yellow as my first Pokemon game, and I only have one thing to say.

Fuck you Gary Oak. Fuck you so much.

Psxphile

The only reason you were able to catch it is because it was Level 15. A Level 30 Pinsir would laugh as your Safari Balls bounced harmlessly off its rigid exo-skeleton. Game was doing you a favor.

Bait makes them harder to catch less likely to run.
Curse me for viewing it logically, "if it's eating then it wont be dodging anything!".

The only reason you were able to catch it is because it was Level 15. A Level 30 Pinsir would laugh as your Safari Balls bounced harmlessly off its rigid exo-skeleton. Game was doing you a favor.
What you're saying is I just snatched a young Pinsir away from its Safari family for that box life.

You have to hit it with a rock or two before you can even hit it with a safari ball.
Honestly, after doing it the legitimate way a few months ago in Green, it's better to just throw balls at them. There's always the chance of a first-turn capture which is lost if you waste a turn using a rock. Basically the amount of rocks you have to throw at Chansey and the like for them to become easier to catch is about the same amount of turns it would take for the ball to just work anyway, and then it becomes even more likely to flee possibly costing you an extra turn for RNG to smile upon you.

jadedm17

I may have been a little unprepared when I wandered into the Fuchsia Gym. I went up to that first trainer and his level 38 Hypno was about 15 levels higher than anything I had with me. Chandler, Joey, Ross, Rachel, Monica and Phoebe didn't stand a chance as his psychic attack tore through them like wet tissue paper. Time make some changes and gain some levels before I tackle this again. I forgot what a big jump in average opponent levels there is between the fourth and fifth gyms.

I like your style; Care to share what Pokemon you're rocking?
Apologies if I missed you posting said line-up. Phoebe is Meowth, right? Hmmm.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Tried to catch Chansey in the Safari Zone, had a hell of a time even finding one. Caught one, and figured "Fuck it, I'll just do the Safari Zone glitch to get Tauros."

So of course after I do the glitch, the only things that pop up while surfing along Cinnabar are Nidorinas and Chansey.

Whyyyyyyyyy

Did you do the glitch from the right area? Different parts of the Safari Zone have different encounter tables, and Tauros isn't found everywhere.

isny

napkin dispenser
When I caught my Mew at Level 7 it had 20 across the board for stats, however he seems to hit harder than other mons. Does he have secret behind the scenes bonus stats that can't be seen in Gen 1?

I skipped the whole Pokemon thing when it first came out so I'm finally playing Pokemon Yellow as my first Pokemon game, and I only have one thing to say.

Fuck you Gary Oak. Fuck you so much.

You have passed the test, you are granted entry to the fandom.
Should have named him Dicks. Dicks Oak.

Did you do the glitch from the right area? Different parts of the Safari Zone have different encounter tables, and Tauros isn't found everywhere.
Yeah, I made sure I was in an area where he spawns. Just bad luck, I guess. Did manage to encounter and catch Kangaskhan, though.

Machine

I like your style; Care to share what Pokemon you're rocking?
Apologies if I missed you posting said line-up. Phoebe is Meowth, right? Hmmm.

I forget which is which but currently they are Charmeleon, Butterfree, Gyrados, Fearow, Nidoking, and Meowth. I was just using random Friends names when I started. I have a Pikachu that I sub in sometimes who is "Ugly Naked" guy.

stupei

I forget which is which but currently they are Charmeleon, Butterfree, Gyrados, Fearow, Nidoking, and Meowth. I was just using random Friends names when I started. I have a Pikachu that I sub in sometimes who is "Ugly Naked" guy.

Charmeleon had better be Chandler.

But that Pikachu name is inspired, honestly.

Heropon

I failed the Nuzlocke challenge when Sabrina's overleveled Alakazam critted with her first Psychic against the only pokemon that could do something and I lost my will to continue.

I'll enjoy the rest of the game as normal from now on and "revive" Kadabra. I can't believe how weak I am, I couldn't endure more than one death and a total wipeout. I prefer the one pokemon per route rule to not look for the same ones time after time, so maybe I use that for other runs.

Junahu

I failed the Nuzlocke challenge when Sabrina's overleveled Alakazam critted with her first Psychic against the only pokemon that could do something and I lost my will to continue.

I'll enjoy the rest of the game as normal from now on and "revive" Kadabra. I can't believe how weak I am, I couldn't endure more than one death and a total wipeout. I prefer the one pokemon per route rule to not look for the same ones time after time, so maybe I use that for other runs.
If I'm reading that right (Alakazam using Psychic), you're playing yellow. That battle is actually something of a gimmick fight.

The solution is to
use stat up items from Celadon while you're fighting Abra, who cannot attack, and then sweep her team

Just beat Rival on Nugget Bridge. Going to use the same team I did in my original Yellow except for switching Omastar for Nidoking. Final team will be:

Pikachu
Venasaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Mr. Mime
Nidoking

Current team is:

Pikachu
Nidorino
Pidgeotto
Sandshrew
Paras

Wanted to only catch Pokémon I was going to use for the whole game but I found Pidgeotto in the forest and mainly use it as a tank and eventually Fly before I get Charizard. The other two I just caught because they were rare and I don't plan on leveling them until after the Elite 4.

btw duping the game corner slots with the touch screen pause is VERY EASY

I've been pay daying like a moron for days trying to get my Porygon and but I figured I'd give the trick a try. I got 1000 coins in about 5 minutes when I got the hang of it

So yeah I could have had my Porygon all along

Finalow

this^
best safari zone, best game. Chansey is the true gen1 legendary pokemon.

watch out for the Team Rocket grunts! They have the ability to steal your pokemon. /made me chuckle.
the dreaded Team Rocket in gen1 was ruthless.
poor kids believing in those ''tips'', lol

eefara

btw duping the game corner slots with the touch screen pause is VERY EASY

I've been pay daying like a moron for days trying to get my Porygon and but I figured I'd give the trick a try. I got 1000 coins in about 5 minutes when I got the hang of it

So yeah I could have had my Porygon all along

Could you elaborate a little? I was considering saving up the money to buy the coins, but that's a lot of money. D:

WPS

Aand I just accidentally caught an Exeggcute in Safari Zone. Caught it in one mis-thrown ball, despite spending 5 balls trying to catch one earlier.

It happened in Blue, it happened in Fire Red, of course it was going to happen again. Always Exeggcute.

Heropon

If I'm reading that right (Alakazam using Psychic), you're playing yellow. That battle is actually something of a gimmick fight.

The solution is to
use stat up items from Celadon while you're fighting Abra, who cannot attack, and then sweep her team

I know, the thing is that Abra used flash and I forgot the accuracy one so the first attack against Alakazam failed and then the first psychic critted.

Critical hits!!!

Edit: Defeated her in the second try after Snorlax didn't miss the Body Slam. Kadabra was revived and everyone was happy before heading to Cinnabar's mansion.

Current party:
Food Truck the Snorlax (lv. 39)
D-Decker the Dodrio (lv. 36)
DPV the Sandslash (lv. 39)
Battleship the Blastoise (lv. 37)
Tesla X the Pikachu (lv. 39)
Smart the Kadabra (lv. 39)

Could you elaborate a little? I was considering saving up the money to buy the coins, but that's a lot of money. D:

Just touch the lower touch screen pause (when you touch the lower screen the game pauses) to get the slot where you want it, then press and hold A for "Resume Game" and the input will carry over when the top screen unpauses. It kinda takes some learning but I promise it gets easy.

Also does anyone have a list of really good impossible movesets like No Guard Fissure Machamp that I can study?

eefara

Just touch the lower touch screen pause (when you touch the lower screen the game pauses) to get the slot where you want it, then press and hold A for "Resume Game" and the input will carry over when the top screen unpauses. It kinda takes some learning but I promise it gets easy.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Pokemon Red complete: Pokedex - 135/151

Final team:
Blastoise level 71
Nidoking level 71
Alakazam level 71
Jolteon level 71
Primeape level 71
Arcanine level 71

Just need to trade for the rest. Onto Yellow next.

Planned team

Pikachu
Gyarados
Sandslash
Alakazam
Charizard

However, I am doubting Charizard, any other ideas? I plan to keep Pikachu for the first playthrough at least. Trying to avoid Blastoise, Venasaur, and Jolteon.

Kyzon

Technically, can't you get infinite Mews by using the ditto method instead of the trainer method with the trainer-fly glitch?

Also, according to an image i found while researching the trainer-fly glitch (http://puu.sh/257S), You can get Mew from many other trainers, you just have to let them faint your pokemon so the one with the right special stat is the final one you encounter.

This is great.

Going by that chart I can't get an Alakazam with this though. I think

eefara

Just need to trade for the rest. Onto Yellow next.

Planned team

Pikachu
Gyarados
Sandslash
Alakazam
Charizard

However, I am doubting Charizard, any other ideas? I plan to keep Pikachu for the first playthrough at least. Trying to avoid Blastoise, Venasaur, and Jolteon.

Haunter/Gengar maybe? I've found him to be really fun.

Alright, reached Celadon. Team is:
Primeape, Venonat, Gyarados, Dugtrio, Onix, Pikachu

Pikachu is gonna go, and not sure if I'll keep Dugtrio and Venonant or not. I'm just going along using whatever Pokemon I feel like.

aadiboy

I love how every dungeon in gen 1 is a huge ordeal. While caves in later games might take like 10-15 minutes to get through, Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel are both gauntlets that push my team to the limit. People who say Pokemon has never been hard are stupid.

Because I feel like rushing to nab me Articuno i'm facing down Koga with a level 32 team in Yellow so I can surf...

Well his team is certainly something, a trio of venonats that try to justify their position by sky rocketing up to the upper 40 levels to no avail, Venomoth comes rolling in at level 50 and jobs to my level 32 Hypno's dream eating shenanigans, wonderful, simply wonderful.

Not even an inexplicable level increase can save his jobber team.

I love how every dungeon in gen 1 is a huge ordeal. While caves in later games might take like 10-15 minutes to get through, Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel are both gauntlets that push my team to the limit. People who say Pokemon has never been hard are stupid.

I wouldn't say hard, but having now played Yellow/Alpha Sapphire back to back the past 3 days, I have to say the difference between the two is pretty stark. New gen is dramatically easier, even leaving out the OP exp share.

For someone who isn't super big into Pokémon I got some question.

I stopped playing my OG Gameboy in highschool so I missed the start of the Pokémon phenomenon.

I kinda want to play some Pokémon now though. I guess all of the recent hype has gotten to me.

That being said I have no nostalgia draw to these 3 VC titles.

So should I bother? Will I enjoy the experience or will I hate that it is gen 1 and misses all of the changes Pokémon has gone through throughout the years?

If I jump in I think I'd probably prefer to just get yellow cause its a GBC game. Is that a bad place to start?

Should I just not bother and save my 10 bucks? Wait for Sun and Moon? What say you GAF?

X/Y was a great jumping on point for new fans, and will be most easily compatible with Sun/Moon when released. It's a newer game so you don't need any nostalgia fuel to get into it.

R/B/Y are definitely solid games even outside of nostalgia, and I'll never suggest that someone not play them, but older games can sometimes be pretty hard to get into for newcomers.
There are certain renowned games that missed the boat for, and when I try to go back and play them I can't do it. I don't know how you tend to do with those sorts of things. Yellow might be the easiest of the three to get into because it includes color, though most fans consider Red/Blue to be the primary classic experience.

However. my first play of Red version 17 years ago was Super Gameboy so to me the series has always been in color. The SGB colors are actually better than the yellow gbc colors, I think. But now I'm getting sidetracked.

Just started up Yellow and been having a blast. Only about 4 hours in and loving every second.

Originally had Yellow at 7 yrs old and remember grinding to get a Butterfree to be able to beat Brock. If only I had known Nidoran and Mankey were there waiting to be captured...

Amazed that its the exact same amount of satisfaction sitting on the toilet playing Yellow all these years later.

I can't believe how well this game ages.

Man, I miss simple and shorter JRPGs. We need more of these.
Same. I figured I'd hate it, and while a lot of the battles mechanics annoy me, the pacing and Kanto as a region have been really hooking me in. It really feels like a tiny little adventure.

This is my first proper time playing gen I too, so it's not necessarily nostalgia. (I used to borrow my friend's copy of Red a few times, and that's after I had Gold lol).

This is truly the game that keeps giving, speed past all swimmers to seafoam islands still at my lvl 32-34 stage, stumble around for 5 minutes pushing two rocks down holes which just so happen to be the ones that stop the current blocking Articuno.
Weaken it to yellow health, hypnosis, throw 4 great balls and job done.

See this is why making pokemon games more open ended and having less hand holding linearity is soooo much more enjoyable.

I suppose I should go and do Silph co then.

Top Bottom