• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Beat the game (Blue) with:

Venusaur
Mew
Snorlax
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

After finishing the game, I swapped Venusaur with Mewtwo. I unfortunately gave Mew cut and flash so 2 moves were used up - I had forgotten that the move deleter can't delete HM's in gen 1 (gen 2 onwards you can) so I have to wait to trade it to another game (thinking of picking up X or Y).

Oh, Yellow..

I know there's a trainer to bill I should watch out for right?

The youngster with a slowpoke and the trainer in the grass near nugget bridge heading to Cerulean Cave are needed for the Mew glitch. I'm not sure I can be more clear without a map. Heading to Bill you only have to worry about the youngster. He is avoidable though.

The youngster with a slowpoke and the trainer in the grass near nugget bridge heading to Cerulean Cave are needed for the Mew glitch. I'm not sure I can be more clear without a map. Heading to Bill you only have to worry about the youngster. He is avoidable though.
The male swimmer in Misty's gym can also be used in lieu of the youngster with the Slowpoke. Or you can trigger the glitch twice and get two Mews. It's a world of choice!

Vuapol

Wartortle Lv. 33
Nidoking Lv. 33
Hitmonlee Lv. 34
Primeape Lv. 31
Growlithe Lv. 27

On Giovanni's Doorstep in Celadon. Game plan is to beat him, grab the Silph Scope and Poke Flute, and fill out the rest of my team with Cubone, Snorlax and Scyther.

Sorry Primeape and Growlithe, but you've served me well.

Still having a blast.

Is the only way to get mew the glitch? Or does the truck finally move?
If you're in Japan, I think Nintendo is doing a Mew distribution event of some kind.

I have to wonder where the truck thing came from. Was there a Nintendo Power rumour or something that everyone cribbed this from? Even with the Internet starting to spread rumours around that time, the meme is too pervasive and consistent to not have a coherent source somewhere.

Arcia

Banned
Technically, can't you get infinite Mews by using the ditto method instead of the trainer method with the trainer-fly glitch?

Also, according to an image i found while researching the trainer-fly glitch (http://puu.sh/257S), You can get Mew from many other trainers, you just have to let them faint your pokemon so the one with the right special stat is the final one you encounter.

If you're in Japan, I think Nintendo is doing a Mew distribution event of some kind.

I have to wonder where the truck thing came from. Was there a Nintendo Power rumour or something that everyone cribbed this from? Even with the Internet starting to spread rumours around that time, the meme is too pervasive and consistent to not have a coherent source somewhere.
I've always thought the rumor just evolved over time from separate rumors of the era. I can remember before Yellow and before the first movie came out in America that there was a rumor where there was a way to get the S.S. Anne to take you to a "New/Mew Island" where you could catch Mew. The name was probably taken from early reports of the movie, where Mewtwo was created on New Island. This area, at least in my circle when I was 6, was believed to be the part of Route 11 you can see from the docks to the S.S. Anne and due to a graphical error appears to have an entrance at the bottom.
Now, as it became more and more impossible to get to this place, the rumor kinda faded away a bit. Other rumors started to appear, such as HM06 Smash, which could be used to remove the barrier tiles like in Pallet Town. I feel like that one started to make people question if HMs could be used in other ways than intended.
Finally, the truck was found. I think it may have been in Nintendo Power's Classified section at some point but it's been years and my memory's a bit foggy. So now we have a bizarre object around the area where New Island was supposedly found. Smash was agreed to be nonsense, so people moved onto the next best thing: Strength. Someone probably connected the dots on Supercheats or GameFAQs and the truck rumor took off from kids who were internet-savvy at the time.

I was hearing about the truck until about 2002 when the Mew Glitch was discovered which made it irrelevant, but as it was the last big theory about Mew it probably stuck.

ohlawd

aww yeah, beat the game

7wHxNyc.jpg

Bumper/Jolteon
Taj/Hypno
Drumstick/Dodrio
Tiptup/Blastoise
Diddy Kong/Primeape
Pipsy/Mew

kyo2004

Continuing my journey at snail pace, now on Cerulean City, trying to recreate my team (today, the victim was Misty).

https://youtu.be/5iF_sioQxs0

The actual team at the moment is:

Saitama (Wartortle): Lv. 24
Birdie (Pidgeotto): Lv. 19
TheRock (Geodude): Lv. 13
Mr. Slash (Sandshrew): Lv. 9

I'm gonna stay a little more here, grinding in the area and trying to nivelate the team Lvl. (specially Mr. Slash) before heading to Vermilion...

Finally caved in and bought Yellow despite having an original copy sitting in front of me. In a Viridian Forest and besides catching the Pidgeotto the run hasn't been well. A gen 1 miss caused my Pikachu to die and I have a terrible male Nidoran (watch speedruns a decent amount and know what's ideal).

If you spot errors, let me know :)
Already been fixed it seems, noticed Articuno had Thunder Wave the other day. Still nowhere near as hilarious as TM10 Hi Jump Kick in the GSC Dex a few weeks ago.
Dabookerman said:
Oh! So it does it glitch or no glitch?
It's a glitch, but it's not caused by the Mew Glitch or anything else you could have done. It's just something they never fixed in any release.

JoeM86

Already been fixed it seems, noticed Articuno had Thunder Wave the other day. Still nowhere near as hilarious as TM10 Hi Jump Kick in the GSC Dex a few weeks ago.

Yeah, some weird database association glitches happened. Have no idea why but a recompile fixed it.

Kinokou

I didn't start Yellow yet and I'm already lamenting over how many of the water pokemon I have never used and which one to choose, I really wanted to try getting a Staryu, but it seems they are available a bit late?

Maybe I should play as planned and when Sun/Moon is out restart it and use a water team... But I don't know if I can handle going trough Yellow twice...

I'm very conflicted on this water issue, there is just too much to pick from!

Pretty amazing thing happened to me last night when fighting Sabrina. I had intended to just sweep her with my Alakazam because it’s pretty beastly and even with the half damage it could still one-shot most of her Pokémon.

I get through all of her Pokémon super easy and when she takes out the Alakazam he just recovers and recovers until the end of time. So I withdraw Alakazam and try to use my other Pokémon who can barely damage him before getting KOd. She kills every other Pokémon I have until I’m left with just my Alakazam with which she just recovers forever. She has no PP so literally my only option was to use ALL of my PP on every move until I could struggle enough to kill myself. Then I blacked out and lost 60,000 Pokébucks.

Gen 1 best Gen, obviously.

eefara

Technically, can't you get infinite Mews by using the ditto method instead of the trainer method with the trainer-fly glitch?

I believe the Ditto glitch is just an extension of the Mew glitch, so you still need a trainer to fly from and a trainer to walk up to you. So technically you should be able to acquire as many Mews as there are trainers who can walk towards you.

I believe the Ditto glitch is just an extension of the Mew glitch, so you still need a trainer to fly from and a trainer to walk up to you. So technically you should be able to acquire as many Mews as there are trainers who can walk towards you.

A usable trainer can be flown away from as many times as you like.

Forkball

Good god there's a lot of people on the SS Anne. I like how there are a lot of hidden areas that you don't have to visit. Gen I is really good with designing intricate areas with a lot of secrets.

Also my Mew with Dig wrecked Surge's gym. He went in at level 14 and left at level 19.

Speaking of the SS Anne, I could have sworn there was a healing room with a PC and everything on it.

But I couldn't find it.

So I think I might be confusing it with Johto's ship or something.
Actually, I was confusing Johto a lot with this game. I thought there was a button hidden in a Persian statue in Rocket HQ and I could catch an Electrode in there, but those are both GS as well.

Forkball

Speaking of the SS Anne, I could have sworn there was a healing room with a PC and everything on it.

But I couldn't find it.

Actually, I was confusing Johto a lot with this game. I thought there was a button hidden in a Persian statue in Rocket HQ and I could catch an Electrode in there, but those are both GS as well.

Dude I thought the same thing. I swore there was a girl that healed you. I looked it up and turns out it was only in FRLG. I'm impressed at how many things I remember from this game, but also how many things I completely forgot about.

Yep, but eventually you'll run out of trainers to walk towards you. Unless I'm wrong and you can use the Ditto glitch with only one trainer?

The Ditto acts as a replacement to the trainer walking up to you. You need to teleport from a trainer and then get in a battle to trigger the glitch.

Junahu

The Ditto acts as a replacement to the trainer walking up to you. You need to teleport from a trainer and then get in a battle to trigger the glitch.
The Ditto lets you control the wild pokemon you'll encounter with the glitch, but it's not a replacement for a trainer battle. It's not even the trainer battle you need, it's having an NPC sprite move that progresses the glitch
If there's no trainers left to move, then you can move a boulder instead. But to do that you need to use a Pokemon Center's PC to save and quit, in order to restore your menu.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch#One_long-range_Trainer_remaining

StayDead

The male swimmer in Misty's gym can also be used in lieu of the youngster with the Slowpoke. Or you can trigger the glitch twice and get two Mews. It's a world of choice!

Is it only those two trainers? I did the mew glitch with the youngster, but wouldn't it work with any trainer that has to walk into you?

EDIT: should've read down first!

kyo2004

But I couldn't find it.

Is in your room on SS Anne (is the only room in the ship with a PC)... Equally in Silph CO. there's one floor with beds for healing purposes.

teeny

I'm having a hard time settling on a final team other than Pikachu (my starter) and Mew (because pre-teen Teeny would have been thrilled with being able to have it so early and at the right level - I never had a legit one). I think I'm going to keep Snorlax and Nidoking is a maybe. My OCD means I need to factor HMs in to my ingame team (can't stand HM slaves) and I'm trying to build a team of monsters I haven't used in these games before.

eefara

I'm having a hard time settling on a final team other than Pikachu (my starter) and Mew (because pre-teen Teeny would have been thrilled with being able to have it so early and at the right level - I never had a legit one). I think I'm going to keep Snorlax and Nidoking is a maybe. My OCD means I need to factor HMs in to my ingame team (can't stand HM slaves) and I'm trying to build a team of monsters I haven't used in these games before.

I've ended up with Strength, Fly, and Surf on my (so far) permanent team; Strength especially has been a useful move on Nidoking. Thrash was nice, but I didn't like losing control of him for consecutive turns and potentially have to deal with him being confused.

j-wood

First time playing through red. I've gotten a few TMs so far but I haven't used them. Is it a waste to put them on my charmander?

The boat in G/S/C has that. Not the SS Anne.

That's what I thought.

You really start noticing all these quality of life changes that have happened.

Stuff like using Select to use items, being able to use HMs without opening a menu, the run button, more healing spots, bigger, more varied move pools, unlimited bag space, actually being able to see what TM it is without using it, and a much better box system.

Even something as stupid as "Are you sure you want to delete this move" is something I needed, since I accidentally overwrote a move I didn't want to, due to mashing the a button through the text.

I deleted Mega Punch from Charmeleon. Is there any way to get it back? :(

Celadon Department store sells the TM01 for Mega Punch

Boney

Banned
Is there a list of buyable tm's so I can use a few without worry?

And is there a reason for rage being such garbage?

Celadon Department Store
- Double Team
- Reflect
- Razor Wind
- Horn Drill
- Egg Bomb
- Mega Punch
- Mega Kick
- Take Down
- Submission

Game Corner
- Dragon Rage
- Hyper Beam
- Substitute

Lucario

Really want a charizard M', and some of the other glitches with Hex ID > 199. Is there a way to get them other than trading from Yellow?

Top Bottom