• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Cindro

aww yeah, beat the game

7wHxNyc.jpg

Bumper/Jolteon
Taj/Hypno
Drumstick/Dodrio
Tiptup/Blastoise
Diddy Kong/Primeape
Pipsy/Mew
This is excellent - now I wish my naming conventions followed a great theme

aadiboy

btw duping the game corner slots with the touch screen pause is VERY EASY

I've been pay daying like a moron for days trying to get my Porygon and but I figured I'd give the trick a try. I got 1000 coins in about 5 minutes when I got the hang of it

So yeah I could have had my Porygon all along
How do you get the 7 in the last column? I always miss it, either getting the bar right below it or some other random tile.

Revven

This is truly the game that keeps giving, speed past all swimmers to seafoam islands still at my lvl 32-34 stage, stumble around for 5 minutes pushing two rocks down holes which just so happen to be the ones that stop the current blocking Articuno.
Weaken it to yellow health, hypnosis, throw 4 great balls and job done.

See this is why making pokemon games more open ended and having less hand holding linearity is soooo much more enjoyable.

I suppose I should go and do Silph co then.

Yeah I meant to post about this here sooner but it is kind of crazy how much the game opens up after Rock Tunnel.

Yes, you do have to at least complete Lavender Tower to get the Poke Flute first but you can approach it however you want. You can go to the Rocket Hideout and get the Silph Scope or you can use the PokeDoll exploit (which doesn't work in the remakes). Or you can fight Erika first and then get the Silph Scope, go back to Lavender Town (on foot or if you know where Fly is grab that and fly back). Or you can save fighting Erika for later (for whatever reason) get a ton of extra EXP via fighting trainers on the way to Fuchsia (sp?).

Or you can go to Saffron City after clearing Lavender Tower and go straight for the Dojo. So on and so on.

You can literally fight all the last three gyms out of order (Viridian's always gotta be last). And the only reason you'd want to do that is to change up a playthrough.

The other games have it laid out where the gym you need to beat just so happens to block you from using a certain HM which you need to progress to the next area. In these games, there is some of that but having most of the areas you traverse not require any HMs to move forward prevents the player from being blocked from exploring the region out of the intended order.

Another way the newer games block progress is by certain events having to be triggered to allow you to move forward. For instance, in Gen 1 games the moment you clear the Game Corner hideout and Lavender Tower you can go and do Silph Co. because there's nothing telling the game that you can't -- there's no other requirements for it to be triggered.

Whereas in later games, you might need a certain number of badges to trigger an event like that. Perfect example of such is in Gen 2 when you trigger the Radio Tower Team Rocket takeover -- this can only take place after completing the hideout with Lance in Mahogony (sp?) and then beating the gym. You won't trigger the event otherwise.

It's really neat. You don't discover this until sometime after you've played Gen 1, though. Unfortunately, the first time you play these games you're kind of indirectly told to do things in the intended order. You don't actually know that you can do the gyms out of order or that you can do certain events before completing gyms.

They didn't start tying gym progress to events that happen in the world more until Gen 2 and then things started to get more and more linear around Gen 4.

eefara

Just got the Softboiled TM. The old man even admits only one Pokémon can use it... >.>

And I can't fish while surfing. Interesting. Does anyone remember when that became a thing?

wheapon

Just got the Softboiled TM. The old man even admits only one Pokémon can use it... >.>

And I can't fish while surfing. Interesting. Does anyone remember when that became a thing?

Wait, what? You can fish while surfing in the newer games?! Never realized that...

Junahu

Yeah I meant to post about this here sooner but it is kind of crazy how much the game opens up after Rock Tunnel.

Yes, you do have to at least complete Lavender Tower to get the Poke Flute first but you can approach it however you want. You can go to the Rocket Hideout and get the Silph Scope or you can use the PokeDoll exploit (which doesn't work in the remakes).
If you want to sequence break a little more, you can use the Mew Glitch to despawn the Snorlax blocking the way out of Lavender.

How do you get the 7 in the last column? I always miss it, either getting the bar right below it or some other random tile.

I kind of started to anticipate that I would have to stop it such that the last slot just barely started to line up, not when it was fully in the place I wanted it to be. That last slot is a real pain though.

It's kinda pleasantly surprising to see so many people acknowledging how well the games hold up in spite of dated graphics and the hilarious glitches. Like, I would never recommend Gen 1 to someone starting out the series (unless they were someone I know could handle somewhat archaic JRPGs like the NES FF & DQ games, and such), but I always found it kinda hyperbolic when people would say things like "R/B/Y is borderline unplayable".

That said, holy shit I wish I had used Fearow more as a kid. Pidgeot's always been my favorite flying type, but it's movepool is pretty ass in Gen 1 (And... a lot of other places, to be fair). Meanwhile, Fearow is just fury attacking and drill pecking fools for crazy damage. I love this thing.

XygKLyr.jpg

i have no interest in anything other than my nidoqueen who will learn bodyslam in two levels but already has mega punch.

I've just left mt moon, the dream though is for g/s/c on 3ds vc too :3

Went into Articuno fully ready to use a Master Ball, but decided to try my luck at catching it, so I paralyzed it, and got it to low health and three Ultra Balls later I caught it.

So that was nice.

My Team is now all set to beat the game.

Lazzy - Charizard (Cut)
Elvis - Nidoking (Strength/Surf)
Sparkster - Jolteon
Dood - Dodrio (Fly)
El Tigre - Persian
Borealis - Articuno

Currently standing in Viridian Gym. Who could the gym leader possibly be!?

Gsnap

This is truly the game that keeps giving, speed past all swimmers to seafoam islands still at my lvl 32-34 stage, stumble around for 5 minutes pushing two rocks down holes which just so happen to be the ones that stop the current blocking Articuno.
Weaken it to yellow health, hypnosis, throw 4 great balls and job done.

See this is why making pokemon games more open ended and having less hand holding linearity is soooo much more enjoyable.

I suppose I should go and do Silph co then.

I actually never realized how open this game was until now. When I played through these games as a kid (and I played through them several times) I always did the same things in the same order, so I never knew you even could do things in different ways. I don't know how I knew the correct order to do things. Maybe it was just experience, or maybe I followed a guide. I don't remember, but I also never remember being unsure of where to go next. So playing through this game I went in assuming the game was directed the same way other pokemon games were. But once I got to Lavender Town I wasn't sure what to do because, well, nobody told me where to go and there were multiple things I knew I needed to do. So I said, screw it I should be able to get to Celadon from here. Probably get more info there. Then I got there and was like "Wait... I can just get the eevee now right? Yes. Wait, I can just fight through the rocket hideout right? Yes. I can just beat the gym right? Yes. I can just get fly now, right? Yes. I can just buy the lemonade and open up all the guard posts, right? Yes. I can do Silph right away. The fighting dojo. Sabrina. get pokeflute. Snorlaxes. Cycling road. Koga. Safari Zone. Surf (aka articuno and zapdos). Holy crap. I can do everything!" Whatever order I want. And many of my pokemon are quite strong and good enough to handle most of it as well, so I won't need to grind.

All in all I've found revisiting these games to be a great experience. Yeah, certain things about menu navigation, and certain limitations aren't as nice as the quality of life improvements in current gens but overall its still very enjoyable, and the progression and open ended nature really brings it all together. I love the design of Kanto, especially its layout. Despite the idea of guards not letting you through just because every single one of them happens to be thirsty being ridiculous, putting an important city smack in the middle of the region and blocking you off from it until a certain point was a really clever idea, along with the underground tunnels to connect towns together, making the place feel smaller than it is at the beginning, then it feels much larger and more grand once you unlock Saffron. It makes the beginning of the game both linear and lengthy, feeling like an adventure, but also not letting the player get lost or confused, but then it open up the middle and end points of the game, allowing players to stretch their wings and explore now that they know how things work. Add to that the relative simplicity of the plot (team rocket is actually a relatively small part of the game since you only fight them a few times), and you feel much more like a real trainer on your own little pokemon adventure, tackling gyms as they come, and finding new places to get new pokemon on your own, rather than just going from point a to point b. I like the newer games. The basic quality improvements, and the better teambuilding and post game content, online, etc. are all great. But I've found the initial single player mode that you have to play through to get to all those great new things to be tedious mostly. Would be nice if newer games went back to the open style of Kanto so I could feel more adventurous again (unless they have and I just haven't noticed because the clarity of the main path subconsciously pushing me forward).

wow.. how many revives did you use?
A lot... I actually forgot to buy revives going into it so I went into the champion right without Pidgeotto who served as cannon fodder. Got through the E4 in one go but had to restart against the rival a couple times.

Revven

Awww yeah I got my Machamp via the Yellow in-game trade. Definitely keeping this guy in my team to get him to have Fissure for the transfer for Sun/Moon. >:D

Crayolan

Yes, you do have to at least complete Lavender Tower to get the Poke Flute first but you can approach it however you want. You can go to the Rocket Hideout and get the Silph Scope or you can use the PokeDoll exploit (which doesn't work in the remakes). Or you can fight Erika first and then get the Silph Scope, go back to Lavender Town (on foot or if you know where Fly is grab that and fly back). Or you can save fighting Erika for later (for whatever reason) get a ton of extra EXP via fighting trainers on the way to Fuchsia (sp?).

Or you can go to Saffron City after clearing Lavender Tower and go straight for the Dojo. So on and so on.

You can literally fight all the last three gyms out of order (Viridian's always gotta be last). And the only reason you'd want to do that is to change up a playthrough.

The other games have it laid out where the gym you need to beat just so happens to block you from using a certain HM which you need to progress to the next area. In these games, there is some of that but having most of the areas you traverse not require any HMs to move forward prevents the player from being blocked from exploring the region out of the intended order.

Another way the newer games block progress is by certain events having to be triggered to allow you to move forward. For instance, in Gen 1 games the moment you clear the Game Corner hideout and Lavender Tower you can go and do Silph Co. because there's nothing telling the game that you can't -- there's no other requirements for it to be triggered.

Whereas in later games, you might need a certain number of badges to trigger an event like that. Perfect example of such is in Gen 2 when you trigger the Radio Tower Team Rocket takeover -- this can only take place after completing the hideout with Lance in Mahogony (sp?) and then beating the gym. You won't trigger the event otherwise.

It's really neat. You don't discover this until sometime after you've played Gen 1, though. Unfortunately, the first time you play these games you're kind of indirectly told to do things in the intended order. You don't actually know that you can do the gyms out of order or that you can do certain events before completing gyms.

They didn't start tying gym progress to events that happen in the world more until Gen 2 and then things started to get more and more linear around Gen 4.

Yeah I really appreciated how non-linear the games were once you got to Lavender. I've always done things the "right" way but this time I went straight down to Fuschia after Lavender and then took the southern route through the Seafoam Islands to Cinnabar, fighting Blaine before I even touched Silph Co.

I didn't have Fly until I picked up Aerodactyl though so that motivated me to go to Cinnabar sooner than later and pick a more efficient path to clear out trainers.

Kanto is a pretty great region, makes me wish they'd try another nonlinear region again but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Velcro Fly

6 badges and my party is in the low 40s

going to be a real grind to get them all to 50 for the E4

the exp curve in this game just falls apart and everything is high 20s to mid 30s for far too long :(

illadelph

sort of related, I remember the one thing I never unlocked in Pokemon Stadium...

you had to get all 151 pokeymans in the hall of fame (a very time -consuming task) in order to get a friggin Psyduck that knew the Amnesia technique

why

Shizuka

6 badges and my party is in the low 40s

going to be a real grind to get them all to 50 for the E4

the exp curve in this game just falls apart and everything is high 20s to mid 30s for far too long :(

You can easily beat the game with a team on the low 40s if it's a balanced party with strategic TM placement.

Wurliwurm

So, i got my 2nd badge in my red nuzlocke. No pokemon fainted so far.

Here is my miiverse link There is a bit more of Information. so far it was pretty easy and i hope it won´t change i really like my Team and don´t want to lose someone...

Growlie19

Game complete! Jolteon is just too useful for the Elite 4 and champion. The final team, including nicknames:

Casbade the level 48 Blastoise: Surf, Blizzard, Body Slam, Water Gun (wanted Hydro Pump)
Kazooie the level 47 Fearow: Drill Peck, Mirror Move, Fly, Hyper Beam
Aslan the level 46 Arcanine: Fire Blast, Double-Edge, Dig, Mimic
Raiken the level 50 Jolteon: Thunderbolt, Pin Missile, Double Kick, Thunder Wave
Femur the level 48 Marowak: Earthquake, Submission, Strength, Seismic Toss
Napalm the level 48 Exeggutor: Psychic, Mega Drain, Explosion, Hypnosis

Now to catch 'em all!

sort of related, I remember the one thing I never unlocked in Pokemon Stadium...

you had to get all 151 pokeymans in the hall of fame (a very time -consuming task) in order to get a friggin Psyduck that knew the Amnesia technique

why

Yeah, that was a major pain in the ass.

Pokemon Stadium was fucking awesome when it came to gift Pokemon, though. IIRC, you could get all three starters, both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, both fossils and an Eevee randomly to trade to RBY when you beat the Gym Leader Castle. It was great if you needed one of them and didn't have anyone on-hand to trade with.

Velcro Fly

Got all 8 badges

Most of party is high 40s or at 50.

Going to grind the remaining few to a nice round 50 before tackling Victory Road and the Elite 4.

Ok so I caught Mew but decided to not use it. Now I'm just doing the glitch over to catch random Pokes and I'm gonna go from there. So far, Staryu, Rhyhorn, and Nidoqueen. I think Staryu and Rhyhorn is going to make the team.

Velcro Fly

Challenge yourself, man. The game isn't that hard, you can beat it right now without grinding.

I have like 7 or 8 rare candy I'm going to use. May keep one to dupe more later.

I am only rolling with 5 pokemon though so I'm just going to get them each another level or two first.

Just beat Blaine. My team as of now:

Vaporeon Lv 41 (Surf/Water Gun/Quick Attack/Bite)
Alakazam Lv 37 (Psychic/Psybeam/Recover/Confusion)
Fearow Lv 38 (Drill Peck/Fly/Peck/Fury Attack)
Ninetales Lv 36 (Flamethrower/Confuse Ray/Quick Attack/Tail Whip)
Persian Lv 37 (Bite/Fury Swipes/Pay Day/Thunderbolt)
Raichu (Thunderbolt/Thundershock/Thunder Wave/Swift)

My movesets are pretty ass, but they're getting the job done. Thunderbolt is weirdly effective on a Persian, weirdly enough. Been taking my time to catch some of the rarer Pokemon in Kanto, too. Got Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Tauros, Chansey, Magmar, Dratini and Porygon today.

Just went through Rock Tunnel for the first time. Barely made it and had to bypass a few trainers to get to the Pokemon Center in Lavender.

Caves in this game are an ordeal. Yikes.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
is there a place I can find recommended movesets? I just got Mew and am wondering what folks typically use for a psychic build.

edit: found what I was looking for at Smogon.

I've been experimenting with the Mew glitch using different trainers to trigger the encounter. Caught an Arcanine, a Rhyhorn, a Pinsir and a Lapras - all at Lv 7.

It was all fun and games until I ran into a Missingno. I ran from it, checked my items and thought all was good. I saved, thinking I had been spared the worst effects.

Then I decided to deposit my Old Rod in my PC. I had to do it 128 times before it disappeared from my bag. <_<

Kinokou

I love how every dungeon in gen 1 is a huge ordeal. While caves in later games might take like 10-15 minutes to get through, Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel are both gauntlets that push my team to the limit. People who say Pokemon has never been hard are stupid.

This was on of my problems when I finally got to play my own pokemon game in gen 4, I had memories of massive caverns and now everything was cramped.

Ok so I caught Mew but decided to not use it. Now I'm just doing the glitch over to catch random Pokes and I'm gonna go from there. So far, Staryu, Rhyhorn, and Nidoqueen. I think Staryu and Rhyhorn is going to make the team.

Do you remember how you triggered Staryu? What level was it? This will solve all my water pokemon issues!

This also got me thinking, can I pick up non accessible pokemon with the mew glitch? A Mewoth would be swell.

Fake edit: there is a video for Staryu! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvMrxRGOIns But is the second trainer encounter really needed? I would seem like it is the second cerulean gym trainer (third trainer encounter in video) that has the special value needed?

Theorymon

(Just gonna Copy + Paste a post I made on Smogon about this topic)

So I can confirm that the Arbitrary Code Glitch still works in Red and Blue! Now what does this mean? It means you can basically do anything in the game! You can get perfect DVs, Walk through walls, capture trainer Pokemon, get every glitch Pokemon: really, the sky is the limit with this glitch! Lemme tell yall how to get this beastly glitch working.

Step 1: Get 8F

8F is the source of all this madness. Its this item that enables you to basically do almost anything in RBY! Getting it is pretty complicated though, so I'm going to link to this youtube video that a glitch city labs user made.

Before you can start, you'll need: an item you don't mind tossing, 255 X Specials, and a removable item (I recommend a fossil to use at Cinnabar Island), and NOTHING else in your bag (unless you wanna get rid of some useless key items).

An important thing the video doesn't mention is how to get 255 X Special. You buy one X Special, and do the usual Missingno. Glitch. THEN, you discard two X Specials (remember, Missingno. gives you 128 clones for the item in the 6th slot), then you encounter Missingno. again to get the extra 128 X Specials you need for 255 X Specials.

Here's the video of the glitch: https://youtu.be/98_azamLeh4

Step 2: Get the right party.

You will need a very specific party of Pokemon in the EXACT order listed to actually be able to use 8F. Using 8F without one of these parties WILL CRASH YOUR GAME!

The Party (Gotten from http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Arbitrary_code_execution)

Pidgey with 233 HP (I personally Rare candied Pidgey to level 100, then gave it HP Ups till it was close enough to be STAT exp trained to 233 HP. Alternately, you can just whittle Pidgey's health down to 233 if it goes above that)
Parasect
Onix
Tentacool
Kangaskhan

Step 3: Get the right item "recipe"

Just blindly using 8F will also crash your game. In addition to having the right party, you also need to have the right items in your bag in a VERY SPECIFIC ORDER, AND ONLY THOSE ITEMS!

Thanks to Glitch City Labs users Torchickens and Searinox, here's a code that can be used to get perfect DVs on the first Pokemon in your active box! Once you got the party and bag in order, use 8F, and it'll work! This might be useful of they convert DVs to IVs for Pokemon Sun and Moon. (source: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.msg198973.html#msg198973 )

Any item
8F
178 X Accuracys
218 Carbos
255 Lemonades
50 Pokeballs
201 Water Stones

This one lets you get any Pokemon in the game as a gift, including weird (and sometimes dangerous) glitch Pokemon!

Any item
8F
(number on the species index) Repels
14 X Speeds
64 Ultra Ball
72 TM 05s
201 Lemonades

Here's one that lets you walk through walls after you activate 8F and jump off a ledge. Just be warned: If you go out of bounds, the game usually crashes!

Any Item
8F
20 TM 34s
201 TM 15s

Here are some photos of stuff I've done with that glitch in particular!

WVW69i8v_REzzVyDDW

I got behind Bill's house!

WVW69i8wE38OiGC9fR

Yeah they actually programmed in lines for the Fuchsia city zoo Pokemon o_O

WVW69i8wGW06YzIADW

Nice view!

I got most of these tricks from here: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html

Really, its incredible how glitchy Pokemon Red and Blue are, there really are no limits with those two games!

This was on of my problems when I finally got to play my own pokemon game in gen 4, I had memories of massive caverns and now everything was cramped.

Do you remember how you triggered Staryu? What level was it? This will solve all my water pokemon issues!

This also got me thinking, can I pick up non accessible pokemon with the mew glitch? A Mewoth would be swell.

Fake edit: there is a video for Staryu! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvMrxRGOIns But is the second trainer encounter really needed? I would seem like it is the second cerulean gym trainer (third trainer encounter in video) that has the special value needed?
There are a bunch of trainers in the route to Rock Tunnel who yield Arcanine - I'm playing Blue.

IIRC, I just battled the 2nd trainer in the Cerulean gym. I have no idea why that video has two battles.

Kinokou

IIRC, I just battled the 2nd trainer in the Cerulean gym. I have no idea why that video has two battles.

Thanks for confirming! Then I throw away all my other worries about water types and get Staryu <3

Meowth seems harder as it's 77 :/

Edit: if they ever release GSC I hope there is a similar glitch so I can get some of those late Johto pokemon on my team. Their distribution is stupid :<

I love how every dungeon in gen 1 is a huge ordeal. While caves in later games might take like 10-15 minutes to get through, Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel are both gauntlets that push my team to the limit. People who say Pokemon has never been hard are stupid.

They're tedious more than anything. I'm sure many people (like myself) didn't know what Repels were and that you can buy them in Vermillion making Rock Tunnel much faster.

Top Bottom