• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qassim

Is anyone finding this game.. a bit easy? I'm not sure what I expected (first time I've played a Pokemon game since Gold & Silver in 2001) - but I'm just steamrolling all the gym leaders, the 5th Gym leader took me about 4 minutes - I didn't prepare.

I've been purposely avoiding looking for regular battles to try and avoid leveling up too much just for some sort of challenge when I get to the gym leaders, but I haven't found any so far.

Kiraly

Is anyone finding this game.. a bit easy? I'm not sure what I expected (first time I've played a Pokemon game since Gold & Silver in 2001) - but I'm just steamrolling all the gym leaders, the 5th Gym leader took me about 4 minutes - I didn't prepare.

I've been purposely avoiding looking for regular battles to try and avoid leveling up too much just for some sort of challenge when I get to the gym leaders, but I haven't found any so far.

Yes, it is actually ridiculously easy. It is hard to not be overpowered with even casual play.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if I read it in this thread or not, but the Steelix you can trade for in the game, called Thumper is one of the nicknames you can't give to a Pokemon yourself because of the censor.

So has anyone found out how to get into the Lumiose City Boutique yet? I saw someone post on Gamefaqs that you must
defeat the 1st and 2nd star restaurants, talk to someone at the book store, get a lens case and shoot a movie clip, play the hotel minigames, talk to everyone in every cafe, and defeat 4 opponents in the alleyways.

It sounds like a lot of people got in doing this stuff. I've done everything except the hotel minigames. Hope this works because their's not enough boutiques at the point I'm on and I want my character to look fabulous.

Dr. Buni

I think it is harder than the Gen IV and V games, but then again I don't overlevel my team like most people (If a Gym Leader is at level 20, I fight them at level 18 at most, etc).

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Gamefreak are fucking trolls by allowing 3D in caves. I hope they optimize the engine by the next game.

Also, since I have an OG 3DS, I broke down and put a tiny piece of electrical tape over the 3D light. It turning on and off with every battle was irritating.

Sorian

Banned
Ah, another thing! Just like Gary, we're always the first ones to challenge the gym and win! By the time our rival gets there, it's just our name on the stone...!

I want Gary to be the next regions professor and I want his son to be our rival and be a dick just like good ole' dad.

AngryMoth

Charged shots triple your damage, which explains the 21. The higher you've raised your attack/special attack, the more damage your shots do. If you go to level 1 or 2 and raise your sp. attack for a while, you will do much more damage on level 3. I thought it was really hard at first too!

The higher your overall EVs, the greater each goal you make (or so I think). Make sure you're completing the Lvl. 1's and 2's for a while first before you take on Level 3 for normal cycling.

As for the hits, they'll always take off a wallop with time you'll learn the pattern and since your goals count for more, you'll make up losses much faster.
Thanks. I didn't realise your stats effected your performance in the mini game and I'd just used a reset bag which explains my difficulties!

Shiny Fennekin looks so cool...

Waiting to shit my pants any second now. I'm foolishly not allowing myself to play because I can't stop soft resetting for a shiny Fenny. I will probably settle for a female with great IVs + nature

At this rate all I have to is do this all day for 100 days. Not bad

I think it is harder than the Gen IV and V games, but then again I don't overlevel my team like most people (If a Gym Leader is at level 20, I fight them at level 18 at most, etc).

I'm not going out of my way to be overleveled, but I have my guys in high 20s and haven't even found the second gym yet! Between xp all and getting xp for captures, it's just really hard to avoid getting huge amounts of experience unless you are actively avoiding it.

What is the importance of the natures?

Natures modify stats, give +10% to one, -10% to another. Getting the most out of a pokemon entails finding the right nature to boost an important stat while cutting one that doesn't matter (or in rare instances, one that is actually better off lower).

Dr. Buni

I'm not going out of my way to be overleveled, but I have my guys in high 20s and haven't even found the second gym yet! Between xp all and getting xp for captures, it's just really hard to avoid getting huge amounts of experience unless you are actively avoiding it.

Well, I never avoid trainer battles and my teams never get overleveled. I deactivated that exp share bullshit though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At level 40 I finally got fed up and looked up how to evolve Spritzee. Glad I did.

I like how the camera randomly dramatically zooms in on my Espurr's vacant stare.
Haha, yeah. Love it.

Einbroch

Banned
Ice was one of the original types.

Steel was introduced along with Dark in Gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal).

Fairy is new. :3

Ice was in the original? Damn, shows how long ago that was. I didn't know that.

I remember, let's see...

Fire, water, grass, electric, psychic, dragon, ghost, poison, bug, flying, normal...? I think that's it.

Well, I never avoid trainer battles and my teams never get overleveled. I deactivated that exp share bullshit though.

Eh, I don't try to overlevel, but purposefully shooting myself in the foot and giving up extra xp that costs me nothing? Naaaah

If anything it's a great excuse to try out new pokemon more frequently and avoid the 'get my six guys, obsessively avoid letting any other mon steal any of their xp' mode I usually get into.

Really the gym thing is odd because its been like 4 towns/cities since the first one, just an odd change up on the pacing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The main legendaries are so easy to catch O.O

It's been that way since gen 4, barring Platinum, the Johto remake and Black and White 2.

Ice was in the original? Damn, shows how long ago that was. I didn't know that.

I remember, let's see...

Fire, water, grass, electric, psychic, dragon, ghost, poison, bug, flying, normal...? I think that's it.

You forgot Rock, Ground and Fighting which were in gen 1.

Wow Hydro Pump is pretty much useless now when compared to Surf. Damage reduced by 10 and still has less accuracy than Fire Blast.

The main legendaries are so easy to catch O.O

The catch rates for the cover legendaries have been much higher since Gen IV.

Edit: Liking these critical captures. Didn't catch a lot in BW/BW2 so I didn't get them often but I've gotten 3 already in this game.

has anyone seen the animation to retaliate? that move is straight up samurai complete with flower petals some of the animations for this game are amazing

beastmode

Farfetch'd has become the crown jewel of my team and I love it. Big thanks to the Paul Bunyan-looking guy who offered it to me after I broke into his house.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What is the importance of the natures?

They determine what flavor foods your pokemon likes/dislikes, but, more importantly, they determine stat boosts.

There are 25 natures. 5 of them do not change your pokemon's stats.

The others increase one stat by 10% and decrease another stat by 10%

IBWQTNq.png

Unbounded

You guys and your shiny Pokemon depress me... :(

Anyway, slowly working my way through Kalos. Just got my second badge. I feel like such a Slowpoke though.

You want to feel REALLY depressed?

1938dd05-89d3-43e8-8aaf-0fac0fb3aac5.jpg

Edit: So yeah, I've been kinda making sure I've cultivated this disease enough over the past day or so so that I won't lose it. If anyone wants it just send me their friend code. Mine is 4167-4668-7165 (I should probs add this to the spreadsheet...)

Now, I don't know if it's actually useful anymore with the super training and all, but heck, why not?

Courage

Just used a large Attack bag on my bold Charmeleon. I'm not playing a Pokemon game with a gimped Charizard, fuck that noise.

Jintor

Espurr and Meowstic are so fucking awesome but Cinder (fire starter) is already psychic and I don't really want to double up types :(

Trying to decide whether to keep Charizard or Blaziken on my team. No room for both, but I love them equally. :(

And I friggin' love the EXP. Share. Love having a balanced team and no Pokemon that are 30 levels behind for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom