• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

I'm just hoarding these Staryu until I can find one with a good nature. Why every one of them likes to have +attack is hilariously sad.
Do you have any pokemon with Synchronize? Catch ones with good natures and stick them at the front of your team. 50% chance the wild pokemon will have the same nature.

kubus

nvm. You can't be surprised that you're getting rocked if you don't evolve your Pokemon. You'll have to level your Pokemon all the way to 90-100 if you want to have a chance against the E4.
Meh, I've always played this way. I understand there's a big disadvantage to not evolving your pokemon but I rather grind a little more and have a party I'm happy with rather than have a beast of a pokemon but having to think ":( I miss bulbasaur" everytime I send out Venusaur.

Anyway I managed to beat the gym the second round. Bulbasaur, Helioptile (don't ask why lol) and Tyrunt saved the day. That, and two super potions.

I hope the next gyms aren't so ridiculously far away o_o

Meh, I've always played this way. I understand there's a big disadvantage to not evolving your pokemon but I rather grind a little more and have a party I'm happy with rather than have a beast of a pokemon but having to think ":( I miss bulbasaur" everytime I send out Venusaur.

Anyway I managed to beat the gym the second round. Bulbasaur, Helioptile (don't ask why lol) and Tyrunt saved the day. That, and two super potions.

I hope the next gyms aren't so ridiculously far away o_o

pfff lolicons.

ramyeon

I love how the boutique teases you with all these awesome female clothes designs on the 1F and then the mens upstairs is all tacky recolours of the same shirts and pants and the same bag and fedora all the time. Lol.

Do you have any pokemon with Synchronize? Catch ones with good natures and stick them at the front of your team. 50% chance the wild pokemon will have the same nature.

Sadly, only an Abra with Jolly nature, which is bad.

On a good note: these Staryu's can get me some good stuff on the GTS since they're rare there.

Robin64

I love how the boutique teases you with all these awesome female clothes designs on the 1F and then the mens upstairs is all tacky recolours of the same shirts and pants and the same bag and fedora all the time. Lol.

I feel like the male clothes in this are a bit lacking and only a few things look good. On the other hand, I've seen lots of varied female trainers that all looke xcellent.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm alive again!
way to get a 1-week ban just before pokemon release...

Greetings, Pokegaf!

I'm a total pokemon noob, this is my first game, but have been playing a good bit since Friday, so I have a couple of questions.

1) What sort of things, beside story/plot twists, is considered to be a spoiler? I see name of pokemons flying around so I assume that is safe?? It's kinda hard to know for a newcomer...

2) Game wise, I'm now at Ambrette, with a playtime of 8:30 and Pokedex 75. I have only been to one gym, but on the bright side I was
made a Viscount at the snob club (lol).

The team:
Braixen 31 - feels horribly overpowered at this point, instakills most stuff apart from water/fire
Ivysaur 25
Raichu 29
Panpour 22
Pancham 21
Pidgeotto 25

I like Braixen, Ivysaur and Raichu a lot. Panpour I keep only for water, but I find him kind of dull, Pancham is my false swiper, cutter, smasher and over all handyman. Pidgeotto is pretty meh to me, but an ok damager I guess.

I would obviously like to have a good all-round team, and if some of you vets would like to comment on it, and make suggestions for good candidates to make improvement on the team I would be a very happy pokeman. Of the captured pokemons that I have stored, and that I think looks interesting, I have Psyduck, Honedge, Roselia, Skiddo, Furfrou, Scraggy, Kecleon, Ducklett, Volveat and Meditite.

3) I have a feeling I should have reached at least the second gym by now? Am I doing it wrong?

Sorry for the long post, or if I forgot to spoiler-tag something, but question have sort of piled on since I was banned during the weekend :eek:

Oh, yeah, the game is awesome and addictive! The battle part of it is pretty much as good as it gets in a jrpg. The story is about what I expect from a japanese rpg. But all the different types, the moves, and the elements make battling really complex and interesting. On the downside it's a bit on the easy side so far (should maybe turn off EXP share?). Braixen kills everything in battles, and the biggest problem about catching pmons is them dying way too often. :/

ramyeon

I feel like the male clothes in this are a bit lacking and only a few things look good. On the other hand, I've seen lots of varied female trainers that all looke xcellent.
Yeah, I hope there's more hairstyles and colours to unlock at least... I've only unlocked one so far. Was hoping for jackets and stuff too but haven't seen any so far :(

I am not looking forward to any future playthroughs where I play as the guy. Fix this shit in Z, GF.

Forkball

Just did a test to see how fast I could Super Train from scratch. Took a level 1 Eevee and got the bar to max in over an hour. I think I could cut down time if I solely focused on it. What a great addition.

Ultimadrago

I just found about this yesterday and after many hours of breeding, I have a nice set saved for Nature hunting.

It is a GOD send!

kuppy

So I want to do everything right with my run, any thoughts about the Exp. Share?

If I feed lower Pokémon this way without like nearly ever battling with them, they can't be as trained as they would be without it (on the legit way), can it?

Sanic

So I understand the EVs can be increased by battling instead of doing super training stuff, but if you go that route how do you know which stats are increasing and by how much/when?

Secondly, does nature effect IVs or EVs?

ramyeon

Another shout out. Anyone have any adamant male bug egg group pokemon? I need to borrow one to breed Scythers, you can have it back and a Scyther as well :)

Tc91

What's the fastest way to level up your mon that are getting left behind a little bit? Is it just random fights or is Audino in this game?

Hugstable

Banned
I've been resetting trying to get a good nature for Charmander, but just now came up on a female Charmander but it's nature is bold which takes a hit to attack, which is an important stat considering Charizard X. I heard the daycare isn't too far from where I am, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not gonna be finding probably much from the dragon egg group to breed with my charmander for quite a bit.

That's why I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with a Ditto or a spare male Charmander at all. I'm even willing to trade him back after I get a male Charmander and I can mass reproduce these guys if need be. My FC is 4141-1859-9447.

Honestly any male dragon egg or monster egg group that is able to bread with Charmander would work for me. Just need that 1 male to get going haha.

K' Dash

So I want to do everything right with my run, any thoughts about the Exp. Share?

If I feed lower Pokémon this way without like nearly ever battling with them, they can't be as trained as they would be without it (on the legit way), can it?

if it was 12/13 years ago I would have turned it off, now I don'thave time to grind pokemon, so it is a God send for me, I have a balanced team and I play with them all, not just the starter.

Is getting a shiny more frequent in this game or have I just not been paying attention to old threads?

I had never even ran into a shiny before this game and I've seen like 10 people catch a shiny in two days.

Robin64

What's up with the ditto love? What's it so special for?

As mentioned, Ditto can breed with any Pokemon. This means you don't need a female to get an offspring.

A lot of people try and get a Ditto from a different region, too, as parents with different regions create eggs that have an 8x chance of being a shiny.

Caladrius

So I understand the EVs can be increased by battling instead of doing super training stuff, but if you go that route how do you know which stats are increasing and by how much/when?

You have to know the EV's of the pokemon you're fighting first. No one's discovered any EV training grounds yet so I wouldn't try it the conventional way until then.

Natures are independent of IVs and EVs. They're an additional modifier that boosts (red on stat screen) and lowers (blue) stats.

Roto13

I just realized that all of my Pokemon are around level 25 and 5 of them are from trades. :p I need to get to that second gym.

Magnus

I've decided to start giving a shit about natures and abilities when possible. I didn't even realize that randomly caught Pokemon in the wild could have more than one kind of ability...and I've been playing casually since 1998. Lol. Always thought diff abilities only came from events and giveaways or the dream world.

Is it generally a best practice to go with natures that boost a Pokemon's natural strengths and decrease their already-weak stats?

Sidenote: Mr. Mime fully animated in 3D is terrifying.

Is getting a shiny more frequent in this game or have I just not been paying attention to old threads?

I had never even ran into a shiny before this game and I've seen like 10 people catch a shiny in two days.

I think the rate on getting them has gone up. I don't know for sure but it does seem like there are more of them popping up on this thread then ever before.

Robin64

I think the rate on getting them has gone up. I don't know for sure but it does seem like there are more of them popping up on this thread then ever before.

I think it's just that we have a lot of people playing right now which means a hell of a lot of Pokemon being caught.

Then there's the tipping rumor..

Forkball

It must be. I saw a shiny in this game after having never seen one and I've played since Red/Blue.

hoserx

First pokemon game..... bought Y on Saturday after reading this thread and realizing I had to figure out what it was all about. I'm hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom