• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here used Klefki yet?

I want to know if it's a good Fairy type. I'm trying to choose between Klefki and Mawile right now, since I'm ditching my Jigglypuff because it doesn't have enough Fairy moves.

Wiseblade

I heard to max it all may take about 1.5 hrs. Wish you could skip some of the 'cutscenes'. I'm almost done my Charmeleon though...then I gotta do Mawille and Sylveon.
Yeah, it's all the filler that really slows things down. If there was a way to skip all of that...

Maybe I'm just spoiled since B/W had amazing spots for EV training.

Delio

I love going online and people doubting Delphox's Speed. I always get a lot of late game kills because of it. Also trying to breed a Bold Klefi is mindnumbing. I really need to go Ditto farming.

Berordn

This is wrong.

Base stats are predetermined, unchanging values that are the same for all Pokemon of a species. They are notated as such: Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe.

EVs are effort values, and are added on top of base stats as the Pokemon battles or super trains. They are capped at 510 EVs, with every forth EV adding to the base stat total.

IVs further add to base stats, and they are randomly generated numbers in each stat. Their value ranges from 0-3. They can be manipulated through breeding.

What the game calls Base Stats and what the community calls Base Stats don't agree. Super Training refers to EVs as "base stats." It's been a trend in the games since Emerald, where the EV reducing berries describe their effect as "Makes a Pokémon friendly but lowers base <stat>."

789shadow

Banned
YES

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CAUGHT A SHINY SLIGGOO. FEMALE WITH QUIET NATURE. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Congrats. I hope we can see a picture. :3

I am jealous!!!

Holy shit, that's amazing.

I say "Goddamn"! Congrats.

Pictureeeeeeeeeeeees!

Ask and ye shall recieve (shitty iPod pics):

ibdScgwYocDKud.JPG

iZNeGGUVwIyfl.JPG

Super training is about Effort Values or EVs. And thatis a whole other explanation. But for every 4 points you get in a stat, you will get a 1 point in your base stat.

A related question, but what's the best way to go about assigning EVs? Do I put them towards increasing the special attack of something like a Gengar to play to its strengths, or is it better suited for trying to even out stats (So put points into speed for a Hasty nature 'mon)?

I haven't played in a few generations and haven't been in "online" battles since Gen II.

SuperSah

Banned
A Nature increases one stat by 10% (the stat in red on the summary page) and decreases another by 10% (the stat in blue on the summary page). There are some natures that increase and decrease the same stat and are effectively neutral.

Darn. Honedge has +Sp. Atk and -Sp. Def.

Not bad.

Berordn

No it doesn't. Super Training refers to the visible summary stats as "base stats". It never gives a formal name to EVs.

I swear it did in the tutorial, but that's beside the point. They've been called Base Stats in the games before through the vitamins, reducing berries and in the Join Avenue dojo, cafe and salon.

Trey

What the game calls Base Stats and what the community calls Base Stats don't agree. Super Training refers to EVs as "base stats." It's been a trend in the games since Emerald, where the EV reducing berries describe their effect as "Makes a Pokémon friendly but lowers base <stat>."

The distinction should be made, because it's confusing otherwise. The game is still trying to avoid putting an absolute number on EVs to try and hide the min/maxing nature of Pokemon, but we all know it's there, and follow a system. If you call EVs base stats, it implies you can have a zero in any stat.

Tonezorz

The distinction should be made, because it's confusing otherwise. The game is still trying to avoid putting an absolute number on EVs to try and hide the min/maxing nature of Pokemon, but we all know it's there, and follow a system. If you call EVs base stats, it implies you can have a zero in any stat.

I know there are reset bags in super training, but how would these work, if say you EV trained a pokemon in a couple stats, grew it 30 levels, then reset and chose different stats? Would it simply "even out" by lvl 100?

What if you did this same thing but up to 99, before resetting and re-training EVs and then leveling to 100?

t26

A related question, but what's the best way to go about assigning EVs? Do I put them towards increasing the special attack of something like a Gengar to play to its strengths, or is it better suited for trying to even out stats (So put points into speed for a Hasty nature 'mon)?

I haven't played in a few generations and haven't been in "online" battles since Gen II.

Go to smogon and look at some of their build. It is usually best to focus on 2 things instead of balance it out.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
I heard to max it all may take about 1.5 hrs. Wish you could skip some of the 'cutscenes'. I'm almost done my Charmeleon though...then I gotta do Mawille and Sylveon.

took me about 6 hours to do my party...you might get a lucky break with those 2X gym bags

Berordn

I agree, but if we're not talking to the competitive community I'd rather use the (admittedly poor) name that the games officially use.

Wait, hold on.

If DW isn't available, how do we get access to DW abilities?

Swarms, Friend Safari, breeding.

Wiseblade

I know there are reset bags in super training, but how would these work, if say you EV trained a pokemon in a couple stats, grew it 30 levels, then reset and chose different stats? Would it simply "even out" by lvl 100?

What if you did this same thing but up to 99, before resetting and re-training EVs and then leveling to 100?
Precisely. Stats are completely recalculated at every level, rather than just being increased as the screen may suggest. Don't worry about it and just get the EV training right.

Trey

Always spec to your strengths. Stat balancing doesn't really fly in the Pokemon meta. You balance through team synergy and move coverage.

EVs will be there whenever. I know you can't miss out on them.

SuperSah

Banned
Is a female Ralts with Gentle nature viable enough once she's a Gallade?

Ability: Synchronise
Positive Sp. Defence
Negative Defence

Seems a bit of a fair balance, right?

Is there any reason to bother leveling up a Riolu to evolve into Lucario as opposed to simply using the Lucario you are given if I don't care about like what nature it is?

Tonezorz

Precisely. Stats are completely recalculated at every level, rather than just being increased as the screen may suggest. Don't worry about it and just get the EV training right.

Ok, So stats even go down then! You then could EV train a lvl 100 pokemon and watch the stats change?

Kirlia

Banned
Is a female Ralts with Gentle nature viable enough once she's a Gallade?

Ability: Synchronise
Positive Sp. Defence
Negative Defence

Seems a bit of a fair balance, right?

Female Ralts can't become Gallade (unless something's changed). I'm not a competitive battler, though, so I don't know if she's competitively viable as a Gardevoir with that nature.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
though I think it's a little hax...power-up punch is just great!!! specially in the hands of a speed boost ability blaziken(with an overall attack nature) becomes just godly

Tonezorz

EVs will be there whenever. I know you can't miss out on them.

Interesting! Ok, thank you. Now I won't worry so much about it early on. I'm determined to fully understand it this time tho. Previous games I burnt myself out trying to get it all just the way I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom