• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

Evolving Sliggoo to Goodra has to be the most bullshit method Gamefreak has ever devised. I can't for the love of god get any area to have rains. Flying, trekking, roaming endlessly isn't triggering the RNG for rain. There should at least be one route/area that constantly rotates having rain but so far nothing. Really pissed off at this since I though time might affect it but seriously nothing for the whole fucking day! *sigh*

What kind of moveset should I have on Gardevoir? Right now I have Magical Leaf, Confusion, Calm Mind and Psychic. Magical Leaf is mildy useful with her high Special Attack and it saves me having to have a Grass Pokemon on hand. Confusion is shit but I can't rely on Psychic since it's PP is so low. I wanna add a Fairy attack somewhere

I'm not sure I like the new exp share.. I'm not even at the second gym and I have all 6 around lvl 20. My pokemon are evolving before I get to fully appreciate their early forms!

Yeah it kinda sucks. Really enjoyed raising the affection of my 2 starters back when they were cute

Then again, swapping low level Pokemon when you're pretty far into the game would yield the same result anyway. This phenomenon isn't exclusive to this new game.

emb

QUESTION ABOUT SUPER TRAINING/CORE TRAINING:

I used Tyrunt to unlock all the minigames, meaning my Tyrunt (now Tyrantrum, lv. 49) has some EV investment in every stat, even if the lion's share are in Attack and Defense. If I use a Reset Bag to reset his base stats, it won't affect his current stats, right? Can I safely use a Reset Bag to reset his base stats, go all-out with Attack and Defense EV training, and then expect stronger stat growth in those categories going forward?
The stat gains/growth on levels up do not matter. On level up it just recalculates the stat formula with your new level, shows you what changed. He will lose stat points from the reset bag. However, if fully EV'd back, he'll gain them again. Every 4 EVs is 1 point in the stat at level 100 (or every 8 is one point at level 50, etc. Always rounds down, btw. And it's a little different after nature boost/drop.) I'm pretty sure EVs are factored in after any super training/core training/PC storing/leveling up.

Not sure exactly what you were asking, but I hope that clears it up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually it does look like the boutiques do stock new items once a day. Now cyclage city is basically selling what amounts to a sport bra. o_O

Didn't expect this game to show so much skin.

Man, my Barbaracle is such a beast :)

Sniper + Stone Edge + Max Attack/Speed EVs + Max Affection = Superpowered crit machine!

Still on the hunt for a Super Sized Pumpkaboo. Is there anything that distinguishes it from its smaller brethren?

L.O.R.D

can i have a comparison of this photo
pokemon-x-y.jpg

this taken from the first trailer,
how it looks now ?

Forkball

My Pokemon were pretty high at the second gym as well, over level 30 and one of them was disobeying. The other gyms are fairly close to each other, especially 3-5. The main campaign of Pokemon was never really challenging though outside a few tricky battles and the E4.

And oh shit (post seventh gym spoilers)
surprise waiter battle!

What kind of moveset should I have on Gardevoir? Right now I have Magical Leaf, Confusion, Calm Mind and Psychic. Magical Leaf is mildy useful with her high Special Attack and it saves me having to have a Grass Pokemon on hand. Confusion is shit but I can't rely on Psychic since it's PP is so low. I wanna add a Fairy attack somewhere

How far in are you? You'll get a Fairy TM eventually which you should learn it. Mine now has TBolt,Psychic,Dazzling Gleam and CM. Thinking about replacing TBolt with Will-O-Wisp to deal with Physical Pokemon though.

Neiteio

The stat gains/growth on levels up do not matter. On level up it just recalculates the stat formula with your new level, shows you what changed. He will lose stat points from the reset bag. However, if fully EV'd back, he'll gain them again. Every 4 EVs is 1 point in the stat at level 100 (or every 8 is one point at level 50, etc. Always rounds down, btw. And it's a little different after nature boost/drop.) I'm pretty sure EVs are factored in after any super training/core training/PC storing/leveling up.

Not sure exactly what you were asking, but I hope that clears it up.
Basically, let's say my Tyrantrum at lv. 49 has a Defense stat of ~160. I'm talking his actual stat, NOT his base stat. Now let's say I reset his base stats with the Reset Bag. Would his Defense stat of 160 suddenly go down, as well? And if so, would EV training that Defense stat all the way back mean that the next time I level up, I'll be higher than 160 again?

How far in are you? You'll get a Fairy TM eventually which you should learn it. Mine now has TBolt,Psychic,Dazzling Gleam and CM. Thinking about replacing TBolt with Will-O-Wisp to deal with Physical Pokemon though.

Yeah, just got Dazzling Gleam and I was keen on using it. Psychic and Calm Mind aren't going anywhere which leaves the other two slots. Didn't know about Thunderbolt, that's pretty cool!

Re: Weather.

I've found Route 14 the most likely to be rainy. The area with the swings just out of Lumiose City is a good way to check. In the last three days it's rained there in the morning for me.

emb

Basically, let's say my Tyrantrum at lv. 49 has a Defense stat of ~160. I'm talking his actual stat, NOT his base stat. Now let's say I reset his base stats with the Reset Bag. Would his Defense stat of 160 suddenly go down, as well? And if so, would EV training that Defense stat all the way back mean that the next time I level up, I'll be higher than 160 again?
Sounds like you got it. It would suddenly drop (both base and actual), and it would get higher after finishing training (assuming you didn't happen to reach 252 def EVs the first time around).

Sorry for being confused at first. The game calls EVs base stats, while the community traditionally calls the uh... base stats base stats. It's really off putting to me.

can i have a comparison of this photo
pokemon-x-y.jpg

this taken from the first trailer,
how it looks now ?
They don't use that camera angle anymore so you can no longer see the emptiness beyond the cliff's edge, and there is dark grass and a large tree where the mound meets the water (as well as another large tree behind the trainer beside the cliff.

There are also differences in quality and design, like the blades of grass are drawn at a diagonal angle in the final version.

Neiteio

Sounds like you got it. It would suddenly drop (both base and actual), and it would get higher after finishing training (assuming you didn't happen to reach 252 def EVs the first time around).

Sorry for being confused at first. The game calls EVs base stats, while the community traditionally calls the uh... base stats base stats. It's really off putting to me.
OK, thanks. So just to confirm one more time: The moment I use Reset Bag, Tyrantrum's base stats AND current actual stats will drop. But when I reinvest a full 252 into Attack, 252 into Defense and 6 into HP, I'll see the actual stats in those categories rise even higher than before.

So in other words:

Current Defense is 160, with sub-252 EV points. I use the Reset Bag, the EV points return to zero, and Defense drops below 160. I then Super Train/Core Train for 252 Def. EVs. By the time I'm done with the EVs, the Defense stat will be above 160.

Yeah. It's based on "steps" (the number of grid spaces you move) so the faster you move, the faster they hatch.

Awesome just wanted to know if there was a distinction lol since no steps are technically involved with bike riding :) but grid based is good to know!

Thanks for the info!

Korosenai

OK, thanks. So just to confirm one more time: The moment I use Reset Bag, Tyrantrum's base stats AND current actual stats will drop. But when I reinvest a full 252 into Attack, 252 into Defense and 6 into HP, I'll see the actual stats in those categories rise even higher than before.

So in other words:

Current Defense is 160, with sub-252 EV points. I use the Reset Bag, the EV points return to zero, and Defense drops below 160. I then Super Train/Core Train for 252 Def. EVs. By the time I'm done with the EVs, the Defense stat will be above 160.
Yep

More on Route 3, where you see pretty much nothing in the horizon east of the city is where you should be able to see Route 22 that's in the game, so they probably weren't able to render that with the route not being loaded.

This will probably be a post lost in the noise:

I'm 32, never ever have I touched anything with Pokemon attached to it. Not a system, controller with nary a Pokemon game inserted.

I decided with the new stylistic flourish to give the series one shot:

I'm addicted to Pokemon X. I love this game. Watching my Honedge or Pikachu tear up Flabebe and stuff in 3D, so awesome! It's fantastic so far. I'm just playing, exploring every nook and trying to assemble a decent crew....

My 12 y.o. stepson has Y and he's played many a Pokemon, tells me to figure it out (I do the same thing to him with harder games/use brain to solve solutions). So we had a battle last night and he'd cycle in Pokemons that trounced mine in element. I lost handily, but I love it!

were young parents 31/32 respectively

emb

So in other words:

Right. Assuming it's level 50 and neutral nature (just for numerical simplicity), and has 200 Def EVs right now. That's 25 extra points, and he'll lose those after the bag. Then you EV him to 252, he'll have 31 extra points (or there about).

Still on the hunt for a Super Sized Pumpkaboo. Is there anything that distinguishes it from its smaller brethren?
Am I reading this right, you can get a giant Pumpkaboo?

Didn't realise Lumiose was so big, just been looking around. The boutique here actually has stuff I prefer to the default outfit so I can finally change. Just gotta save up 80,000 more.

Also Xerneas is pretty cute in Poke-Amie *pets*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom