• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
guys i'm still fairly new to EV's / natures etc.

but i wrote a VERY VERY BASIC overview.

this is the most basic of basic, and the numbers and figures are not correct, this is to explain the concepts, not to demonstrate exactly how it works. wrote this for my house mate, thought it might interest some of you. (likely some of it's wrong, but the BASICS should be fair enough)

http://pastebin.com/Wc83qLR7
Ok let’s try and put it simply:
Any figures I use here are approx.
Every pokemon has, lets say 1500 points that are assigned to special attack, special defence, speed, attack, defence.
1000 of these points are allocated based on what pokemon type it is
So a level 100 (regular jolteon, nature type.. we’ll come back to this) jolteon will have 250 speed, 250 special attack, 166 attack, 166 defence, 166 special defence.

500 of these points can be allocated as you see fit, these are “EV” points (Effort Values)
So you use the special training to assign where these will end up (as the pokemon won’t get them right away, but as it levels up they will be assigned). So I spent 250 EV points on speed, and 250 points on special attack.
If you do not do the special training (or EV train the old way.. don’t need to know that now thank god) these 500 points will be fairly evenly spread out.
So a normal jolteon would have the stats speed: 350, Special Attack:350, Attack: 266, Special Defence, 266, defence: 266
The jolteon with EV training however would have the stats: Speed: 500, Special Attack, 500, Special Defence: 166, Defence: 166, Attack: 166.

Given most of jolteons attacks are special attacks, and he’s already a fast pokemon, this training has made the most of it!

Now, what about IV’s and natures?
They matter, but not as much.
A pokemons nature (jolly, chilled, calm, timid etc) affect the original 1000 points. Certain natures (say timid) will allow 10% bonus to special attack, but subtract 10% from special defence.
So a timid jolteon of the 1000 points would be, Special Attack: 275 (extra 10%), Speed: 250, defeince: 166, special defence: 149, attack: 166.

I’m still not 100% sure on IV’s yet, but I do not believe that give as much as the above…

So all in all: or regular jolteons final stats:
Speed: 350
Special Attack: 350
Special Defence: 266
Attack: 266
Defence: 266

Our EV trained jolteon with correct nature?
Speed: 525
Special Attack: 500
Special Defence: 149
Defence: 166
Attack: 166

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
On the odd occassion in battle, you will notice various things in the background, ranging from trees in the field to rock formations in caves. These seemingly inocuous background objects do have a specific function, they can be destroyed and cause you to receive an item.

Whoa, was always wondering what those were for

Moonlight

Banned
Can anyone tell me what Pokemon out there have Flame Body, or if they might be inclined to trade/loan or something? Trying to pump out some Tyrunt tykes.

Magnus

Why do I want King's Shield for Aegislash? Will the Defensive stance last for more than a turn, and does it also affect Sp. Def? I don't know if this is worth it...

Oh shit....if this is true, then never mind:

Aegislash gets a move called "King's Shield." It's Protect but it lowers the attacking pokemon's Atk stat two stages if it is a contact attack. As far as we know, it works the same as Protect where using it multiple times in a row reduces the chance of it working from 1/x, where x starts as 1 and doubles each consecutive turn it is used. But, if you use a different move between uses, it stays 100% effective.
For Aegislash, you switch in, and then attack. Low speed means you will be in Shield form for the opponent's attack and absorb it like a boss. Then, you attack, he switches to Blade form, and hits them with that nice 150 base Atk (to put it in perspective, the only pokemon with equal or higher base Atk are Deoxys, Rayquaza, Zekrom, Groudon, Slaking, Regigigas, Rampardos, Kyurem-B, and Deoxys-A). Next turn, use King's Shield. It has priority +4, so you go first, automatically switching to Shield form, are protected 100%, and opponent's Atk drops. Rinse and repeat for infinite protect. Then just give him Leftovers.

What sucks for me is that my Aegislash tends to actually be quite quick...I attack before most. Alas.

Squall516

Yup. My char X is a jolly nature. I rather the speed.

not a bad idea, what stats does it get a boost from. Originally i had read that it was only attk but now ive heard people saying it gets attk, sp. atk and def boost? Also charizard is mostly a sp.attk in his normal form right? so would he benefit more from like Naughty or rash, or naive or hasty?

ramyeon

Why do I want King's Shield for Aegislash? Will the Defensive stance last for more than a turn, and does it also affect Sp. Def? I don't know if this is worth it...
You're asking the wrong question. Should be "Why don't I want it?". His defensive stance lasts as long as you don't use an offensive attack, Kings Shield also completely blocks the move they make in the turn it's used and always goes first. If you have a slow Aegislash this is perfect - abusing this move you may never get caught by an attack in blade forme. He's as weak as glass in blade forme - can easily be OHKO.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm about to go hunting for a Kecleon. I heard it's in route 6, but before I do to save me trouble:

Can it learn False Swipe?

I decided I want Kecleon to be my hunter for pokemon. :3

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Maybe I should've stuck with Hasty for Yveltal :/ I'm kind of hoping for modest or timid though since Oblivion Wing is a special attack.

N4Us

Can anyone tell me what Pokemon out there have Flame Body, or if they might be inclined to trade/loan or something? Trying to pump out some Tyrunt tykes.

A friend of mine said they got a Magcargo in the game with Flame Body. I dunno at which point in the game though.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it. I didn't take Healing Pulse's description literally. It describes its effects as healing the target, but I figured I could target MYSELF. No, apparently target refers to opponent, and so I used it in battle and I healed this mother fucking Haunter. Fuck this move. I passed up calm mind for this fucking thing.

Also, I am trying to catch a haunter. If and when I do catch one with a great nature, would someone be so kind as to trade back-and-forth so that it can evolve? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it. I didn't take Healing Pulse's description literally. It describes its effects as healing the target, but I figured I could target MYSELF. No, apparently target refers to opponent, and so I used it in battle and I healed this mother fucking Haunter. Fuck this move. I passed up calm mind for this fucking thing.

Also, I am trying to catch a haunter. If and when I do catch one with a great nature, would someone be so kind as to trade back-and-forth so that it can evolve? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Boom. Just as I said that, I catch a modest Haunter in the ice cave.

J. Bravo

not a bad idea, what stats does it get a boost from. Originally i had read that it was only attk but now ive heard people saying it gets attk, sp. atk and def boost? Also charizard is mostly a sp.attk in his normal form right? so would he benefit more from like Naughty or rash, or naive or hasty?

each nature (except the neutral ones) boosts one stat by 10% while decreasing another stat by 10%. timid is +speed/-attack. Rash would be good, that's +SpAttk/-SpDef.

How do I get the Mega Stone to evolve my Gardavoire?

Also, what happens if you say "No." to taking Lucaro in? Does he actually stay, or is it a "You have no choice say what we want you to say." type thing?

jrDev

this is the most basic of basic, and the numbers and figures are not correct, this is to explain the concepts, not to demonstrate exactly how it works. wrote this for my house mate, thought it might interest some of you. (likely some of it's wrong, but the BASICS should be fair enough)

This is perfect!

I kept asking in this thread and I was still not getting s proper answer. I was training and training but the stats would not increase; because the Pokemon wasn't being leveled up...all I needed to know.

Thanks...

So when my super train stat increases say a Defense stat by 12, does that mean the Pokemon gets 3 (12/4)more points added to its defense stat when leveled to next level?

What's a good nature for Sylveon?

Just wasted a ton of time and balls trying to get a female Eevee in a luxury ball in hopes that with this new "mother's ball = baby's ball" thing means that the effects stay.

Would like to know a good Sylveon nature and level to evolve at before I start breeding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for that. Very easy to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom