• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Chichikov

Why would you need a spotter on a lat pull down?
In case your muscles get confused.
The spotter is kind of sexy.
f8kJ0.jpg

If there's ever been a better imperative to do something about global warming, it's this year. Just got my haircut done and people in there were talking about all the strange weather going on. It's been so fucking warm; freak weather every where.
Has PoliGAF ever discussed the notion that Frank Marshall Davis is Obama's real father? I don't even think that it's something Obama would know and would put the birther nonsense to bed.
I need to stop underestimating you. Maybe then I won't be surprised when you make statements like this.

Kosmo

Banned
If there's ever been a better imperative to do something about global warming, it's this year. Just got my haircut done and people in there were talking about all the strange weather going on. It's been so fucking warm; freak weather every where.

Weather != Climate

ToxicAdam

Josh Mandel seems like a nice fellow, but he is way too green to be considered a serious Senate candidate. I guess with people like Al Franken (and his resume) it doesn't matter as much as it used to, but when you are running against someone like Sherrod Brown it should.

Honestly, I think it would be the most embarrassing loss for Democrats this fall if Brown should lose. Even moreso than a Warren loss.

Chumly

He looks ridiculous but the helmet criticism isn't fair. That's the Secret Service's decision; likewise W Bush did the same thing.
Not having a helmet is neither cool nor should it ever be encouraged. You should always have one when riding a bike. Now those high handle bars on the other hand......

stressboy

I need to stop underestimating you. Maybe then I won't be surprised when you make statements like this.

We could use some of that global warming in Oregon right now.

Kosmo

Banned
Not having a helmet is neither cool nor should it ever be encouraged. You should always have one when riding a bike. Now those high handle bars on the other hand......

Bush at least made it look manly:

bush-on-bike.jpg

Fuck we need some news to discuss.

ToxicAdam

The EPA has all the powers to "do something" about emissions right now. They just haven't (aside from some minor regulations on coal burning plants).

Obama just isn't going to do anything that will possibly effect GDP growth and cost him an election. Maybe in the second term he will grow some balls.

Chichikov

The EPA has all the powers to "do something" about emissions right now. They just haven't (aside from some minor regulations on coal burning plants).

Obama just isn't going to do anything that will possibly effect GDP growth and cost him an election. Maybe in the second term he will grow some balls.
I don't think it's GDP growth, I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't believe that environmental regulation hurt the economy.
He just doesn't want to pick a fight with some very strong and very well financed business interests.

I don't think it's GDP growth, I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't believe that environmental regulation hurt the economy.
He just doesn't want to pick a fight with some very strong and very well financed business interests.

Cass Sunstein, Obama's Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs definitely thinks that this can be true. So I'm pretty confident that Obama likely believes (knows) that certain regulations can have negative economic effects. Carbon emission standards could definitely have negative externalities, and short-term economic effects wouldn't be an unreasonable consideration for a President up against reelection with a crawling economy.

Oh I agree wearing helmets should be encouraged, especially by public figures like the president. But let's not forget the Secret Service and WH medical staff also play a role in decisions like this.

Patrick Leahy is going to make a cameo in TDKR. He had an appearance in TDK too.
IIRC he was the guest that stood up to the Joker and "reminded him of [his] father" before Ms. Dawes stepped in.

He was also in Batman and Robin (poor choice; at least the Nolan films will make up for that) and the Batman TAS episode "Showdown". He's a big Batman nut, see.

Amusing trivia, anyway.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
More post-mortem on the Roberts decision:

Good find, TA. Anyone wanna bet that Roberts strikes down AA, though?

Feel-good story of the day: DCCC Fundraising Surges Since Supreme Court Decision on Health Care

Hoping the generic ballot looks something like 52-48, 53-47. Democrats would have a chance at winning the House even with redistricting if their margin is big enough.

Is anyone on the Obama mailing list? They were hitting me up for $3 about 2-3x per day last week. Got about thisclose to the spam can.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I will say I appreciate all the optics tit-for-tat over the last page. It's curious that Kosmo would bring out the Obama-hemmoroid-helmet-woman's-bike picture when everyone knows the the most telling picture of Romney ever taken (other than the one of him getting his shoes shined on the tarmac, or the other one of him posing in front of the trump plane like a piece of parsley next to the main course) is the one of him toodling about Paris on his bicicleta, looking all the world like the carefree, testosterone-deficient rich boy that he's always been.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is anyone on the Obama mailing list? They were hitting me up for $3 about 2-3x per day last week. Got about thisclose to the spam can.

Huh...I am, but I usually only get one email a week or so, the generic "friend, we need your money" type thing. I've donated $20 a couple of times.

Even Kosmo must admit Obama will win an optics battle with Romney - or any president/politician on the planet - 9 out of 10 times. I certainly can't think of a smoother politician in terms of pure image.

Wisconsin recall results: Senate becoming Dem majority
(CNN) - Democrats may be poised to gain control of the Wisconsin state Senate, unofficial results of a recall election recount released Monday evening showed.

Democratic challenger John Lehman was 819 votes ahead of Republican state Sen. Van Wanggaard in a recount of the District 21 recall vote, which took place last month.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The state Senate is currently balanced with 16 Republicans and 16 Democrats, and the body's presiding officers are Republicans.

Other Republicans survived the recall effort - including Gov. Scott Walker, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, state Sen. Terry Moulton, and state Sen. Jerry Petrowski - but a recount was called for after a June count showed Lehman ahead of Wanggaard by 834 votes of the 72,000 cast.
So...in hindsight all was not lost. eznark am cry

suaveric

Good find, TA. Anyone wanna bet that Roberts strikes down AA, though?

I'm on the Obama and DNC list, I get 2-3 emails a day during normal days. During the last week of the month I get around 6 a day.. Worse than that, I'm also on their call list. There have been days where I got 6 phone calls.

turnbuckle

My respect for Snyder continues to grow

Michigan’s Republican Governor Vetoes Voter ‘Fraud’ Bills
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/rick_snyder_vetoes_voter_fraud.php

Snyder has done a few things recently that make me feel pretty good about him as our governor. Even his emergency financial manager push has me only half upset, as the officials running many of the failing cities have proven time and time again to never make things better. I disagree on principle, but it's one of those areas where I can only get so upset given the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom