• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Very interesting interview. He's clearly a highly intelligent man, and it's always interesting to read the opinions of intelligent conservatives. He does seem to be coming from a bit of a bubble existence though. Obviously, working in the financial sector, he'll be opposed to anything that makes his job more difficult. It seems that he's deliberately ignoring the contributions of his industry towards our present economic woes and choosing to shift the blame entirely to Fannie and Freddie, which is something I don't think you can do if you want to be intellectually honest.

He does seem to have the right idea on a number of issues, like education.

What? There was almost nothing useful or intelligent the dude said. He seems like your average lolbertarian.

Jackson50

Are we witnessing the ascent of yet another ABR? Uncommitted closed strongly yesterday by finishing third in the Virgin Islands Caucuses. Perhaps the conservative vote has finally found a palatable alternative to Romney.
I wonder if Afghanistan will become an important issue in this campaign due to recent events. With the Koran burning and the recent, sordid affair of US troops killing Afghan civilians (many were children), Afghanistan is quickly becoming a powder keg.
Unfortunately, the number of casualties would have to increase exponentially for the public to notice. Otherwise, the economy is handily the most salient issue. Aside from the electoral implications, the shooting is only going to inflame anti-American sentiments and exacerbate the tensions between the Afghan armed forces and their American counterparts. The relationship is probably beyond salvageable, and that is acutely problematic as our primary objective transforms to training and advisement.

Are we witnessing the ascent of yet another ABR? Uncommitted closed strongly yesterday by finishing third in the Virgin Islands Caucuses..

Thats hilarious.

Whats not hilarious is Romney getting 7 delegates with 132 votes and RP getting only 1 delegate with 112 votes.

Also, uncommitted won in 2008, :lol Doesnt say how the delegates were split though

Puddles

Banned
What? There was almost nothing useful or intelligent the dude said. He seems like your average lolbertarian.

I just meant that it's pretty clear his brain functions at a high level. Like, if you gave him an IQ test, he'd probably get a pretty high score. Doesn't mean he can't be completely wrong about a lot of things.

Jackson50

Ticket for what lol. Newt's campaign is dead
Obviously. But Newt's stunningly arrogant. I would not be surprised if he genuinely thinks his candidacy is still viable. Or he could be building his prominence as a conservative statesman. Or he's attempting to sabotage Romney. Regardless, it's evident he's angling to secure Texas and leverage his support in the South for power in Tampa.

markatisu

Obviously. But Newt's stunningly arrogant. I would not be surprised if he genuinely thinks his candidacy is still viable.

120310-gingrich-hmed-8p.photoblog600.jpg

Don't believe the Liberal Media, Newt is still viable lol

Aw yeah, son. Aw yeah.

Obviously. But Newt's stunningly arrogant. I would not be surprised if he genuinely thinks his candidacy is still viable. Or he could be building his prominence as a conservative statesman. Or he's attempting to sabotage Romney. Regardless, it's evident he's angling to secure Texas and leverage his support in the South for power in Tampa.

But Texans don't even like Perry, and once Romney starts focusing on Texas his money will erase Santorum's lead rather quickly.

lol Newt

Jackson50

But Texans don't even like Perry, and once Romney starts focusing on Texas his money will erase Santorum's lead rather quickly.

lol Newt
Remember, Newt cheated on his wife. He's suffered two divorces. Moreover, his conversion to Catholicism indicates he's confused over his religious identity. I think we're looking at a person who struggles with commitment. And he's using this campaign as an opportunity to prove to the public, Calista, and, primarily, himself that he's capable of keeping a long-term commitment.

Remember, Newt cheated on his wife. He's suffered two divorces. Moreover, his conversion to Catholicism indicates he's confused over his religious identity. I think we're looking at a person who struggles with commitment. And he's using this campaign as an opportunity to prove to the public, Calista, and, primarily, himself that he's capable of keeping a long-term commitment.

For all of 5 months, lol

Never ever use a midterm to gauge anything for a general, the two are often so ridiculously off in terms of trend that is just like grasping at straws. The fact there was a strong minority turnout during a midterm speaks ill for the GOP however.

Midterms almost unanimously bring out the old and the white, the youth and the minorities for some reason just do not feel like they need to vote. Not sure why it just has always been that way
You're right that midterms shouldn't be used to predict presidential elections, but I'm pretty sure if Obama were up in 2010 (for whatever reason), he would've lost. The main reason why his chances are better is because of the economy. If that deteriorates to the same point it was at in 2010, Obama could easily lose independents as much as Democrats did in the midterms.

But as I said, Romney is a highly flawed and unpopular candidate, which already tip the odds in Obama's favor. But if Democrats want to make any significant gains in the House and the Senate, they'd still need Obama's approvals to be somewhat high.

Looks like Tuesday will be another long night. Good news for TDS viewers.

PublicPolicyPolling ‏ @ppppolls Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Wish we could give you some clarity in Alabama but...Romney 31, Gingrich 30, Santorum 29, Paul 8

Miss numbers in 15 minutes, but I gotta sleep.

You're right that midterms shouldn't be used to predict presidential elections, but I'm pretty sure if Obama were up in 2010 (for whatever reason), he would've lost. The main reason why his chances are better is because of the economy. If that deteriorates to the same point it was at in 2010, Obama could easily lose independents as much as Democrats did in the midterms.

But as I said, Romney is a highly flawed and unpopular candidate, which already tip the odds in Obama's favor. But if Democrats want to make any significant gains in the House and the Senate, they'd still need Obama's approvals to be somewhat high.
That there is some Blitzer-like analysis.

I just meant that it's pretty clear his brain functions at a high level. Like, if you gave him an IQ test, he'd probably get a pretty high score. Doesn't mean he can't be completely wrong about a lot of things.
It seems like you're setting the bar for "high intelligence" at grammatically correct sentences.

Aim higher.

Hm, I like this psychological analysis. Makes sense.

Jackson50

Wheeeee...
Buckle up. It's gonna be a bumpy ride. It's evident Romney's going to win the nomination. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if he slightly underperformed Tuesday. Southern states with large evangelical populations aren't exactly propitious for him. Still, if he could poach either state, it would hasten the inevitable.

vd02O.jpg
Hm, I like this psychological analysis. Makes sense.
I suspected you'd approve.

But how can it be played? If the GOP goes anti-war, Obama can neutralize it by just saying "That's it, we are pulling out immediately."

In the last three months, we've had the Marine urination video, the Koran burning incident, and now this spree shooting. The news out of Afghanistan has been consistently bad for a while.

A question for you all: say you're the President. Is it time for someone higher in the Administration (such as, say, the Secretary of Defense) to lose his job? I don't believe that he is immediately at fault for what's happening, and I have qualms about throwing anyone under the bus for events that they have little direct control over to make a political point. And yes, I understand that there is a desire not to rock the boat during an election year, while the war is in such a fragile state.

But fault and responsibility are two very different things, and it seems clear to me that there are issues at work here that are not being addressed. My impression is that we need to do more than simply offer our condolences. Is there a precedent for this? After Abu Ghraib there were widespread calls for Donald Rumsfeld's resignation, but it didn't happen.

Got Super Tuesday 10/10 last week, see if i can get this tuesday right too :)

Alabama -
Romney
Hawaii - Romney
Mississippi -
Romney
Samoa - Romney

....by a fucking hair <1000-3000

benjipwns

Banned
A question for you all: say you're the President. Is it time for someone higher in the Administration (such as, say, the Secretary of Defense) to lose his job? I don't believe that he is immediately at fault for what's happening, and I have qualms about throwing anyone under the bus for events that they have little direct control over to make a political point. And yes, I understand that there is a desire not to rock the boat during an election year, while the war is in such a fragile state.

But fault and responsibility are two very different things, and it seems clear to me that there are issues at work here that are not being addressed. My impression is that we need to do more than simply offer our condolences. Is there a precedent for this? After Abu Ghraib there were widespread calls for Donald Rumsfeld's resignation, but it didn't happen.
Rumsfeld wanted to resign earlier, I think 2004, and tried to at some other point but the Bush people wanted him to stay on and then hold off more until after the 2006 election.

Panetta hasn't been in the position for even a year (nor the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) and I'm not aware of anything he's done drastically different from Gates that could be tied to "blame" him for it.

Could get rid of McHugh but does anyone even know who he is?

Jackson50

In the last three months, we've had the Marine urination video, the Koran burning incident, and now this spree shooting. The news out of Afghanistan has been consistently bad for a while.

If I were president, I'd be loath to dismiss a senior official simply to make a statement. Now, if there were a blatant mistake or malfeasance along the chain of command, then I'd have to hold them accountable. But, aside from the perpetrators, I fail to see how anyone is either at fault or responsible for the recent events. The recent incidents proceed from a military being perilously pushed to its limitations after a decade of multiple deployments in two major wars and enmity between Afghan and American forces. I don't think people realize the palpable antipathy that's developed between Afghan and American forces. Remember, it's not only rogue American soldiers committing horrific attacks. So, how does dismissing an official rectify the problems? The Afghans could not careless. Moreover, it could engender a domestic political backlash. It's a superficial solution. And it would fail to remedy the situation.
Don't understand why mittens is polling so high in the south.
They're gradually realizing Romney's victory is inevitable. It's the South, sure. But even they aren't that dense.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Serious question, is the fact that SuperPACs are artificially inflating weak candidates or is it the size of these guys ego's (inordinately bigger than even most other Presidential candidates, which is already sky-high) that is really messing this race up for the Republicans by having so much in fighting and mudslinging?

Gingrich and Santorum cannot hope to win states like California, New York or Illinois. They are almost already mathematically eliminated from winning 1144, as well as the fact that should there be a brokered convention, there is no way in hell that it would be either of them, who couldn't rally base support to win in Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Virginia and other battleground states, that would leave the convention with the nomination. It is Mitt Romney 95% likely, with 5% of the chance going to the fact that the GOP is functionally retarded and will nominate someone who will embarrass them on the national stage even more. I can only shudder to think a candidate as flawed as Romney really probably is the best choice, but rejected by half the party for some perceived fault in his stance of unimportant issues like abortion (its not going anywhere) or gay marriage (eventually, it will get passed in every state), while forgetting that he is the only one that has any sort of executive or economic experience.

People think the president can control gas prices? Dunno.

I'd like to see those polled asked whether they think the president can.

From Greg Sargent:

Do gas prices explain the disparity? Eighty-nine percent say they’re concerned about them; 63 pecent say gas prices have caused them financial hardship. Respondents say by 50-45 that there’s something the Obama administration can do to reduce gas prices. Obama’s approval on the issue is at an abysmal 26-65

Real estate magnate (and Mitt Romney surrogate) Donald Trump took to Twitter on Monday morning to reflect upon President Obama's "weird" name at age 18. Soetoro (which Trump mispelled) is the last name of Obama's step-father, Lolo Soetoro:

When I was 18, people called me Donald Trump. When he was 18, @BarackObama was Barry Soweto. Weird.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 12, 2012

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom