• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally I was against how many debates and shit that these candidates have had, but now I think it was the best thing that could have happened. We're in a different age now with the internet and access to video whenever we want it. ALL THIS CRAZY SHIT that Mitt Romney has said on the campaign trail is just waiting to be mined by the Obama administration of Mitt gets the nod. And I think Obama has moved past being naive and realized that he's gonna have to throw haymakers are the republicans to prove a point.

I hope he does. The reality that th republicans are touting doesn't exist. It's fucking scary.

Loudninja

But the Republican National Committee pounced, noting that Obama's February total was well off his pace of four years ago, when he scooped up nearly $57 million dollars.

"After three years of policies that have left our country with record debt, high unemployment, and soaring gas prices and healthcare costs, it's clear President Obama is having a hard time convincing voters he deserves another term," said RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski.

The Obama campaign's chief spokesman, Ben LaBolt, responded via his own Twitter account, saying: "The $ the GOP candidates are raising will be spent on the air carpetbombing each other. We are raising $ for our gen elect infrastructure."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-fundraising-haul-february-45-million-142210342.html
heh

romney+money.jpg

Cute. Nevermind that 4 years ago February was the most contentious month of the Democratic primary, so there was more reason to give at that point in time, where this time there's no sense of urgency at the moment.

Really, they should (and probably are) be worried that his fundraising is as high as it is.

GhaleonEB

Cute. Nevermind that 4 years ago February was the most contentious month of the Democratic primary, so there was more reason to give at that point in time, where this time there's no sense of urgency at the moment.

Really, they should (and probably are) be worried that his fundraising is as high as it is.

Yup. I'm interested in cash on hand, which I didn't see reported this morning. But otherwise, that's a pretty great haul.

Yup. I'm interested in cash on hand, which I didn't see reported this morning. But otherwise, that's a pretty great haul.

I did read a report that the number of big donors (2000$+) was 23,000 4 years back end of Jan, this year that is only at 11,000.

Prorities USA also has not been able to make any fundraising inroads, Bill Maher was their biggest get a 1 million.

Part of me is hoping this is only because the GE hasn't started yet and not signs of fundraising trouble from big donors.

shit, that's not real? Damn my friend who msg it to me

Even if it were real, who would give a shit. It's "oops the kids put the wrong shirts on, what a funny slip." Not like it should mean anything to anybody.

I'm guessing Obama's campaign contributions are slimmer right now because people want to see what kind of opposition he'll face come the GE. No sense giving your money away unless it's apparent there's actually going to be a race. Imagine Santorum won the primary, Obama could get by on pennies and still win.

markatisu

I did read a report that the number of big donors (2000$+) was 23,000 4 years back end of Jan, this year that is only at 11,000.

Prorities USA also has not been able to make any fundraising inroads, Bill Maher was their biggest get a 1 million.

Part of me is hoping this is only because the GE hasn't started yet and not signs of fundraising trouble from big donors.

I can almost guarantee you people are waiting, I am waiting. Why waste the donation while Romney is hemorrhaging money to knock out Santorum

I mean in most peoples minds what are you giving money to right now, he does not have to run any ads because all eyes are focused on the primary battle. It would be flushing the cash toilet as any Obama ad right now is going to have no effect on the population

If the supreme court rules in favor of health care reform how much will it help Obama? How much will it change people's minds about its constitutionality.

Mike M

Nick N
If the supreme court rules in favor of health care reform how much will it help Obama? How much will it change people's minds about its constitutionality.

Probably not much. I think most people think they categorically made the wrong call on CU and the case a few years back affirming the exercise of eminent domain to seize people's property and sell it to a private entity, I doubt anyone who ever thinks something is or isn't unconstitutional changes their mind because they wind up on the losing side of a ruling.

If anything, upholding it will probably provide a campaign plank to appoint justices who would overturn the ruling. At least for a couple elections before it all goes fully into effect.

alright, I will renig on adding imgs without checking their source first, I apologize
The correct spelling of the word you have disastrously misused is "renege."

I'm guessing it won't help him all that much. Maybe Gingrich will start running on $2.50 gas and court packing, but I think anyone who opposes the bill now will oppose it regardless of what the Supreme Court says.

Conservatives will see it as "activist judges". Also, since any ruling will most likely be a split ruling, it won't matter much. As opposed to a 9-0 or 7-2 rulling where heavyweight conservative justices are siding with the majority.

Its one of those scenarios where one ruling will have little to no effect other than, its the law and its here to stay. The other ruling will cause a ripple effect that will tear apart HCR and be very bad for Obama.

Miletius

I can almost guarantee you people are waiting, I am waiting. Why waste the donation while Romney is hemorrhaging money to knock out Santorum

I mean in most peoples minds what are you giving money to right now, he does not have to run any ads because all eyes are focused on the primary battle. It would be flushing the cash toilet as any Obama ad right now is going to have no effect on the population

There's some wisdom in giving early to allow them to use the money for setting up as opposed to the late money which can only be spent on ads though. Not that you can really parse out the money like that but I'd rather give early to make sure (Obama, or rather any person that is receiving my donation) will be properly set up instead of waiting until it's too late to buy anything other than ads or last minute doorbusting.

markatisu

There's some wisdom in giving early to allow them to use the money for setting up as opposed to the late money which can only be spent on ads though. Not that you can really parse out the money like that but I'd rather give early to make sure (Obama, or rather any person that is receiving my donation) will be properly set up instead of waiting until it's too late to buy anything other than ads or last minute doorbusting.

That would probably be a valid point of Obama did not already have one of the most expansive and detailed setups in the country.

There was an article that ran in The Week I want to say around Jan that talked about how he already has his infrastructure from 2008 setup and ready to go. They are merely waiting for a opponent to focus it on. There are field offices around the country.

This is one of the reasons it would be hilarious to see Santorum go head to head since Santorum has no organization whatsoever.

GhaleonEB

That would probably be a valid point of Obama did not already have one of the most expansive and detailed setups in the country.

There was an article that ran in The Week I want to say around Jan that talked about how he already has his infrastructure from 2008 setup and ready to go. They are merely waiting for a opponent to focus it on. There are field offices around the country.

This is one of the reasons it would be hilarious to see Santorum go head to head since Santorum has no organization whatsoever.

Romney's campaign infastructure is a shadow of Obama's as well; he hasn't been able to focus on building it to the extend he wanted to. The Super PAC has been doing the heavy carpet bombing, but his campaign has had to chip in just to hold off Santorum and Gingrich.

Worth noting as well that Obama's campaign was had piled up so much in 2008 they literally ran out of things to spend on, opting to put a big chunk of the extra into a half-hour long ad/special for the campaign. Though, that won't an issue this time since he'll have to fend off Super PAC ads as well.

Jackson50

poli gaf knows I am a Liberal;
Either post a picture of your membership card, or I'll declare shenanigans. And if you think I'm joking, you're not a true pink liberal.
At the end of the day, foreign policy is the #1 job of the President (in terms of his/her actual powers, effectiveness, etc). I see many people get led astray from this fact due to the economy, but I think it remains an unassailable truth.

And thus it is amazing to me how poor Gov. Romney is in this regard. He would be better off just keeping his mouth shut. Rank and file Republicans like to play dumb on these issues when there's a Democrat in office, but I have no doubt that Barack Obama will win some moderate Republican votes purely on the basis of having a rational FP record vs. returning to the worst of the Bush FP team with Romney. Call me an optimist.
His abysmal performance is largely a function of Obama's foreign policy. There's only a narrow compass in which Republicans can criticize his policies; this is not necessarily surprising as liberal interventionists and neoconservatives share numerous traits among them a faith in America's military power to positively shape geopolitics. If you examine the issues which predominate our country's deplorably myopic focus, it would be disingenuous for Republicans to criticize Obama. He escalated the war in Afghanistan, expanded the use of drones, heightened counter-terrorism operations, and intensified pressure on Iran. Now, I think many of his policies warrant criticism; foremost, the escalation of the war in Afghanistan was a mistake. But if you are a Republican, and I am not referring to Ron Paul's immaterial faction, your only recourse are facile attacks on his purported pusillanimity; e.g., leading from behind and fecklessness.

Further, the policies on which the GOP can differentiate itself are abstruse. And they are issues on which Obama's been relatively successful. Whether it is producing the New START by negotiating a reconfigured verification regime after President Bush failed to provide a useful framework or relatively deft maneuvers in East Asia, the GOP cannot provide a cogent alternative.
The problem now mainly is Pakistan and not Afghanistan. Having more troops or not withdrawing troops from Afghanistan will accomplish nothing. And Romney has no strategy for Afghanistan except, criticize whatever Obama is doing.

Happened on his watch, so he takes credit for it. In the end its a campaign promise fulfilled. Even if the 6000 forces had remained back for training, they would have put it as promise fulfilled. If a Republican President has accomplished in FP what Obama has accomplished they would be clamoring for a new addition to Mt. Rushmore.
It's difficult to dichotomize the myriad problems plaguing Afghanistan. They all contribute to an especially pernicious feedback loop. As I've emphasized, the government's gross incompetence and corruption engenders instability and dysfunction. This is compounded by Pakistan's machinations, its porous border and the consequent stateness problems. And these are exacerbated by a dysfunctional, corrupt government. And I could not agree more with your second statement. The problem is outside the scope and capabilities of our military. It can only provide a propitious, secure environment for the government to flourish. And that's not happening, nor was it likely to happen.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Either post a picture of your membership card, or I'll declare shenanigans. And if you think I'm joking, you're not a true pink liberal.His abysmal performance is largely a function of Obama's foreign policy. There's only a narrow compass in which Republicans can criticize his policies; this is not necessarily surprising as liberal interventionists and neoconservatives share numerous traits among them a faith in America's military power to positively shape geopolitics. If you examine the issues which predominate our country's deplorably myopic focus, it would be disingenuous for Republicans to criticize Obama. He escalated the war in Afghanistan, expanded the use of drones, heightened counter-terrorism operations, and intensified pressure on Iran. Now, I think many of his policies warrant criticism; foremost, the escalation of the war in Afghanistan was a mistake. But if you are a Republican, and I am not referring to Ron Paul's immaterial faction, your only recourse are facile attacks on his purported pusillanimity; e.g., leading from behind and fecklessness.

Further, the policies on which the GOP can differentiate itself are abstruse. And they are issues on which Obama's been relatively successful. Whether it is producing the New START by negotiating a reconfigured verification regime after President Bush failed to provide a useful framework or relatively deft maneuvers in East Asia, the GOP cannot provide a cogent alternative.It's difficult to dichotomize the myriad problems plaguing Afghanistan. They all contribute to an especially pernicious feedback loop. As I've emphasized, the government's gross incompetence and corruption engenders instability and dysfunction. This is compounded by Pakistan's machinations, its porous border and the consequent stateness problems. And these are exacerbated by a dysfunctional, corrupt government. And I could not agree more with your second statement. The problem is outside the scope and capabilities of our military. It can only provide a propitious, secure environment for the government to flourish. And that's not happening, nor was it likely to happen.
I went crosseyed reading this.

Jackson50

It seems Mitt's recaptured the Big Mo. ARG's latest poll affirms PPP's recent poll. It should be a comfortable victory for Romney tomorrow. And I suspect murmurs imploring Santorum to withdraw will intensify after tomorrow. It's evident he's not going to win the nomination.
500 Likely Republican Primary Voters
Mar 17-18 2012

Gingrich 13%
Paul 8%
Romney 44%
Santorum 30%
Other 1%
Undecided 4%
I went crosseyed reading this.
I spent half the morning defending my latest research design. I'm primed.

.It's difficult to dichotomize the myriad problems plaguing Afghanistan. They all contribute to an especially pernicious feedback loop. As I've emphasized, the government's gross incompetence and corruption engenders instability and dysfunction.

It is pretty simple. 90+% of the young male Afghanis never heard of 9/11. Some 70+% are illiterate. They don't like invading foreigners. Rumors are the main news system . . . I bet half the country has now heard of the US soldier that attacked Afghanis . . . . except the version they probably heard said it was multiple US soldiers, they killed 100+ people, they specifically targeted children, and the burned Korans while doing it.

It is hopeless. GTFO.

Either post a picture of your membership card, or I'll declare shenanigans. And if you think I'm joking, you're not a true pink libera
I will take a picture of my Liberal Party of Canada card next to my computer monitor with GAF logged on

surely I will black-out my real name

Jackson50

It's quite the remarkable spectacle to behold. Idiots.
Yeah. I think they're panicking a bit given the positive trajectory of the economy. They're improvising, and it sounds foolish. Picking a fight on Medicare or Social Security is a terrible idea for Republicans.
Sounds reasonable. Now if only people wouldn't jump to conclusions.
If Romney wins resoundingly tomorrow, the race will be over. Santorum will basically be like Huckabee in 08, winning a few protest votes
What are your parameters for "resounding?"
It is pretty simple. 90+% of the young male Afghanis never heard of 9/11. Some 70+% are illiterate. They don't like invading foreigners. Rumors are the main news system . . . I bet half the country has now heard of the US soldier that attacked Afghanis . . . . except the version they probably heard said it was multiple US soldiers, they killed 100+ people, they specifically targeted children, and the burned Korans while doing it.

It is hopeless. GTFO.
Simple is a misnomer. That particular problem is multifaceted. But I agree we should withdraw.

Wow, that racist lady's town (in my state ;_;) is 46% black and has a median family income of $36k. So she's able to get away with racial revisionism in a poor, minority-heavy town.

Zzoram

Wow, that racist lady's town (in my state ;_;) is 46% black and has a median family income of $36k. So she's able to get away with racial revisionism in a poor, minority-heavy town.

Well why wouldn't she be able to get away with it? It's not like black people could shame her into stopping, it has to be white people, and the white people there probably feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom