• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
PPP said:
That's probably because of another finding on our poll- 53% of voters want Democrats to have control of the Senate compared to only 36% who want Republicans in charge. More and more Democrats who may like Brown are shifting to Warren because they don't like the prospect of a GOP controlled Senate.
Lincoln Chafee was popular too until Rhode Island realized his victory meant Republicans held the Senate.

Forever

Banned
I'll be watching the GAF thread while flipping between CNN and MSNBC.

redstate, rapture ready, hillaryis44, and freerepublic.

I wonder what the Hillaryis44 people are going to do when she actually runs in 2016 with Obama's full support.

Forever

Banned
You know, I've given up hope that I'll ever see a European style conservative party in the United States within my lifetime. Which is sad, because I'm actually a big fan of the Tories.

My life until now has probably turned me off of anything called Republican for the rest of eternity.

Also I fucking love Obama. I'd take a bullet for that man.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
wheres poligaf getting their election night coverage from?

im sticking with Twitter/msnbc/fox combo.....and here too ah jeez

aftermath will be the redstate and freerepublic forums

I'll be following GAF throughout the day while at work from down in NZ.

At home I'll be flicking back and forth between CNN and Fox News (only have those two, Sky News and BBC).

When is the election usually called? NZ is a day ahead and 5 hours behind PST. I'm assuming sometime in the very early hours of the day after election day, like 2 or 3am PST?

My favorite thing about PPP is how they retweet conservative trolls. Like this one about MA-SEN:

How do you accurately figure out the numbers since you polled 38% Democrats to only 17% Republicans?
Since everyone knows there are sooo many Republicans in Massachusetts.

Occupy was the biggest let down. Instead of partying like homeless people and throwing feces into banks, they should have put that energy into educating the public and getting people to vote.

But camping in a park, playing banjo and smoking hash is so much fun!
I will be in India for Election Night...so no fucking clue.

Yeah CNN international is the only source of outside news there. It has really crappy US coverage. I'd say stick to online streams.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
You know, I've given up hope that I'll ever see a European style conservative party in the United States within my lifetime. Which is sad, because I'm actually a big fan of the Tories.

My life until now has probably turned me off of anything called Republican for the rest of eternity.

Also I fucking love Obama. I'd take a bullet for that man.

The Tories are a bunch of fuckers and are driving this country into the ground. They should be shot.

To pin recent stumbles on Stevens would be to overlook Romney’s role in all this. As the man atop the enterprise — in effect, the CEO of a $1 billion start-up — Romney ultimately bears responsibility for the decisions he personally oversaw, such as the muffling of running mate Paul Ryan’s strict budget message and his own convention performance.

Romney cant even run a campaign, how can we trust him to run a country?

That would make an amazing meta ad though wouldnt it?

50 seconds of campaign errors, (bloopers, pundits talking about bloopers etc) followed by the above question and the #romneyshambles thing.

It would shift the national tone to "what a fuckup"

When is the election usually called? NZ is a day ahead and 5 hours behind PST. I'm assuming sometime in the very early hours of the day after election day, like 2 or 3am PST?

Should have the results in before you're done trick-or-treating.

It's kind of funny, but around where I work that's kind of the tone for everyone already. We all make huge Romney jokes.

At this point it can be pushed so that people are embarrassed about voting for him.

"lol, youre voting for the guy who cant even run a campaign? vote for my sister, she ran a tigher 9th grade president campaign"

I don't think any MA Democrat who's not a Kennedy would be doing much better.

Elizabeth Warren is the definition of stereotypical "liberal" according to Republicans: Boring, stale, chai latte sipping pantsuit liberal incapable of human emotions who looks and sounds like an English professor. I bet she doesn't even make a sound when she has sex.

Rock solid on policy though.

RDreamer

At this point it can be pushed so that people are embarrassed about voting for him.

"lol, youre voting for the guy who cant even run a campaign? vote for my sister, she ran a tigher 9th grade president campaign"

There's even one guy who should be a typical younger Republican voter. He's from Texas, loves guns, etc. He's pretty centrist for the most part but I think he leans pretty conservative for a younger person. Even he makes jokes about Romney now, and I'm pretty sure they're not just jokes just to fit in with the rest of us. He knows Romney's a joke.

Trurl

Banned
Warren reminds me of the really smart kid who had trouble controlling the volume of her voice when talking about insects or whatever her passion was at the time. So, at least she doesn't come off as a smarmy liberal.

ToxicAdam

'Rock Solid' Lizzie:

Opposes the legalization of marijuana.
Wants to repeal a major tax in Obamacare (purely for political reasons).
Desperately want more funding for higher education to help continue to fund her old 350k/yr job and further inflate the education bubble.
Pays lip-service to deficit-hawkery.

Foreign Policy?

Our number one responsibility is to protect Americans from terrorism, that’s our job, so being tough on terrorism is enormously important,” said Warren yesterday at a campaign stop in Gloucester.

“We should take nothing off the table, but the facts are still emerging,” the Senate candidate said when asked if she would support military action against Iran.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011...b-plan-war-with-iran.html#sl7tBqDXJsRgwY6k.99

Warren is an old Republican that seems to wearing a 'Progressive" coat the same way she wore her Native American heritage to gain advancement.

warren is awesome because she wrote my bankruptcy casebook and it is very well written and humorous at times.

TA by those terms any democrat including obama is an old republican. or are you still in kosmo-mode

Gruco

Banned
I want Warren to be in the Senate so that she can have a role in Finance and/or Banking. I'll take my chances that Harry Reid won't put her on Foreign Relations and have her declaring war on Iran and repealing portions of the ACA.

'Rock Solid' Lizzie:

Opposes the legalization of marijuana.
Wants to repeal a major tax in Obamacare (purely for political reasons).
Desperately want more funding for higher education to help continue to fund her old 350k/yr job and further inflate the education bubble.
Pays lip-service to deficit-hawkery.
1) If marijuana were a litmus test the Democratic caucus would consist entirely of Dennis Kucinich.

2) meh, okay

3) Oh no, education funding. History's greatest monster!

4) Conservative media has made the deficit a "very serious issue," so every Democrat does this now. I'm totally fine with cutting the deficit as long as you're not being stupid about it.

As for Iran... I think all options should be on the table. That doesn't mean we should nuke them tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that's not what she was saying.

I dont understand how pot is a left issue....?

Isnt the right all about freedom, lack of government interference, lazy fair etc?

Aka: Get government out of my garden.

And the left is all about being the nanny state, we know whats better for you, lungs are for oxygen etc

Aka: Ban it twice, and if its over 16oz of pot, so help me God....

ToxicAdam

Just like the ridiculous support for Huntsman as a moderate in this thread, you so-called Progressives here run to whichever candidate comes across strongly in your camp on whatever single issue du jour that is in vogue (financial reform in this case for Warren).

Better believe that if Warren were a NY Senator you wouldn't hear a peep out of her about Wall Street. Opportunist to the core.

The war on drugs grew from the law and order agenda, which conservatives in this country pushed when they were looking for things to campaign on, after they realized that fighting the new deal is a losing proposition.

But prisons aren't profitable and increase our deficit. The right should be all about slashing cost by freeing those whose liberty was taken by a tyrannical government who stuck its nose into private matters of recreation in the home

Chichikov

But prisons aren't profitable and increase our deficit. The right should be all about slashing cost by freeing those whose liberty was taken by a tyrannical government who stuck its nose into private matters of recreation in the home
My point is that it's a political calculation, not something that stems from some sort of a well thought ideology.

Vahagn

Just like the ridiculous support for Huntsman as a moderate in this thread, you so-called Progressives here run to whichever candidate comes across strongly in your camp on whatever single issue du jour that is in vogue (financial reform in this case for Warren).

Better believe that if Warren were a NY Senator you wouldn't hear a peep out of her about Wall Street. Opportunist to the core.

Yea, so, you clearly don't understand the point of a local election or a Senator representing a certain state.

You're talking "opportunist" and ignoring Scott Brown basically pretending to be a liberal? Warren has as much chance in NY railing against Wall Street as someone has in MA railing against cutting the education or public transportation budgets.

That's why we have local elections, jackass.

RDreamer

I dont understand how pot is a left issue....?

Isnt the right all about freedom, lack of government interference, lazy fair etc?

Aka: Get government out of my garden.

And the left is all about being the nanny state, we know whats better for you, lungs are for oxygen etc

Aka: Ban it twice, and if its over 16oz of pot, so help me God....

You see the political spectrum isn't really just left and right. It's probably better shown with a compass with 4 directions. There's a left and a right axis, but also an authoritarian and a libertarian axis. That's what messes people up a lot. People on the right want to throw a lot of progressives and liberals in with policies and leaders that are clearly on the authoritarian side, when they'd be on the libertarian side of left.

So, yeah, pot is an authoritarian/libertarian issue, not a left/right issue.

I'm more of a fan of Warren because of her speeches and writings on the middle class. She seems like she really gets what's going on there and why it's shrinking. Wall Street reform is just a nice cherry on top.

Any progressive who honestly likes Huntsman is ridiculous. I've said that he would have been a formidable opponent to Obama and that he was the saner of the bunch during the primaries, but his economic policies are still awful. Actually the love for him has me kind of fearful for when the right actually does have to drop its ridiculous social agenda. I find its economic agenda just as terrifying. Once the social barrier is dropped a bit I worry that too many idiots will flock...

You shouldn't have to be. And put bluntly like he does it's hard to think that people in the Republican party wouldn't know that, but I really think a lot of them don't. I mean they might logically, but at the same time philosophically they still cling to their individual liberty stuff which just shows they haven't let the info sink in enough to disrupt that worldview.

This is late, I know, but I sure as fuck didn't know these things!

watershed

Banned
I just love Rick Santorum saying "the elite, smart people will never be on our side. Colleges and universities will never be on our side." Education, what's it for?

RDreamer

This is late, I know, but I sure as fuck didn't know these things!

While growing up I didn't know anything about institutionalized racism either. I didn't grow up anywhere near the stuff. My town didn't have any minorities. My school really barely had any outside a handful of Mexicans. My high school class didn't have a single black person in it. In that area not many ever really ended up in insane poverty, either. You just don't think about these things when you're not around it. You really do grow up in this worldview that if you get in trouble you probably did something to deserve it, and if you got somewhere you probably did something to deserve that, too. The institutionalized help you get is just kind of there, in the background, always. People in that situation forget to notice it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He just needs to win the debate

I don't think one will be enough, especially if he nukes himself in the FP debate (which seems likely considering). Besides the first debate isn't only the economy, its all domestic policy. He could easily fuck up on something like gay rights or abortion.

While growing up I didn't know anything about institutionalized racism either. I didn't grow up anywhere near the stuff. My town didn't have any minorities. My school really barely had any outside a handful of Mexicans. My high school class didn't have a single black person in it. In that area not many ever really ended up in insane poverty, either. You just don't think about these things when you're not around it. You really do grow up in this worldview that if you get in trouble you probably did something to deserve it, and if you got somewhere you probably did something to deserve that, too. The institutionalized help you get is just kind of there, in the background, always. People in that situation forget to notice it.

My worldview was more that, yeah, there was some institutionalized racism, but it was completely, 100% warranted.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom