• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gov't refusing to sell stake in GM after GM requests they do

As EV will tell you, this is akin to giving a neighbor $50 and then being a dick about it when they can only repay you $30, even though you have a magic money tree in your backyard and can simply go pick more money whenever you want it.
But officials at the Treasury Department were not interested as selling now would lead to a multibillion dollar loss for the government, the newspaper noted.

Actually, it's closer to investing in a company when they were totally fucked and waiting for said investment to pay off instead of cashing out early and realizing a loss.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just gotta keep electing Democrats and the apology tour shall continue on.
Hopefully one of them will stop the drone bombing. I'd find it hard to put much into an apology from someone who is sending robots to shoot cruise missiles at "enemy combatants" half way around the world.

Gotchaye

The more last minute the plan though, the less thought out it will be to think about long term consequences of doing said plan. Somethign tells me it will be an enormously short term plan just to please the hardcore righties.

But then there's not really any political advantage to it.

ToxicAdam's entirely correct here. Some in this thread have expressed a worry that Romney is going to bust out specifics in a debate and Obama's not going to be able to respond effectively.

If Romney comes out with a proposal which is actually a good or popular idea, Obama can just say "I agree. Please ask Congress to pass it now - why wait until the election?" The Democrats are so centrist on the deficit that there's really no specific and popular proposal they wouldn't endorse, especially if they could guarantee that the Republicans wouldn't start attacking them for doing something horrible.

If Romney comes out with an awful but specific proposal, even if its one where Obama doesn't have a great grasp of the details, Obama can just say that he disagrees and we'll let the American people decide. Then Romney's tied down to a specific proposal with specific implications and he's going to get annihilated in the media and with ads.

I think there are limits to the extent to which EV pushes it.

MMTer Kosmo makes me giddy. Remember that MMT does not necessarily mean you follow EVs preferred policy, it just means you peg the Federal Governments ability to spend to the inflation rate rather than the deficit. What policy proposals do you recomend Kosmo?

jbug617

Banned
Just seen the new Scott Brown ad and he addresses Elizabeth Warren for the first time in his ads. He says Warren ads are lying about him and she is doing nothing but attack ads. He ends the ad saying he is one of the regular people and he works for the people.

Just seen the new Scott Brown ad and he addresses Elizabeth Warren for the first time in his ads. He says Warren ads are lying about him and she is doing nothing but attack ads. He ends the ad saying he is one of the regular people and he works for the people.

I hope Warren wins, but Massachusetts loves their Kennedy-styled blowdried blowhards like Romney, Kerry and Brown.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I would love for Romney to detail his plan in specifics during the debates. I love for it to be a really good economic plan that everyone could get on board with. I would love for him to come out for sensible immigration reform, tax policy that won't neuter the government's ability to serve the people, etc.

I would love for him to be a good candidate.

I would love...

ivysaur12

Banned
I hope Warren wins, but Massachusetts loves their Kennedy-styled blowdried blowhards like Romney, Kerry and Brown.

She's not very charismatic, but might win on the fear of "we don't want a GOP-controlled Senate". If Brown was the same person, but with a D after his name, he'd win by a landslide.

Now it looks like Tammy is back in the game. I wonder if a more competitive election in Wisconsin will help or hurt her...

jbug617

Banned

Scott Brown did make a mistake last week when he said he would vote against the tax cuts for people who make 250k or less. Don't know if this a huge mistake but I believe Warren will bring this up at the debate this week.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Scott Brown did make a mistake last week when he said he would vote against the tax cuts for people who make 250k or less. Don't know if this a huge mistake but I believe Warren will bring this up at the debate this week.

Wow, I would definitely vote for him based on that alone. Finally someone responsible enough to tell people that we can't keep tax cuts on everyone.

pigeon

Banned

As EV will tell you, this is akin to giving a neighbor $50 and then being a dick about it when they can only repay you $30, even though you have a magic money tree in your backyard and can simply go pick more money whenever you want it.

Says they want the government to sell because of "reputation" and because of pay restrictions. In other words, they can't give each other big enough raises whie the Treasury has the reins. Sounds good to me!

HylianTom

Banned
Lol @rassumessen 47-45 Romney.
I kinda like this. It keeps the heat on Dems to turn out, and it makes the GOP's bitter tears on Election Night even yummier. When they still retain hope and are then broken by the harsh reality of a big Obama win? That's much more delicious.

Loudninja

False and debunked ahahahaha

“President Obama is recycling false and debunked attacks because he can’t tell the people of Ohio about his record of fewer jobs, more debt, and lower incomes," spokesman Ryan Williams said Monday. "President Obama’s failed stimulus bill didn’t meet his own standard for lowering unemployment and sent taxpayer money to foreign-owned companies, and even members of his own party have loudly condemned his inaction toward China. But it’s middle-class Americans who have paid the real price for President Obama’s weak, ineffective leadership.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...mocrats-have-condemned-obamas-inaction-toward

Two polls with Baldwin leading. Guess she's got it locked up.

ivysaur12 said:
Now it looks like Tammy is back in the game. I wonder if a more competitive election in Wisconsin will help or hurt her...
Probably help. The voters Obama would focus on turning out would probably be party-line marginal democrats.

This was taken to RedState (my mind is still numb) but is there any truth to this?:

"Rasmussen has the GOP voter registration at 37.6%, highest it's ever been. Democrats are at 33.3%, 1% from its all time low."

I'm hoping this isn't the case this election since Democrats will need all the votes they can get I think.

This was taken to RedState (my mind is still numb) but is there any truth to this?:

"Rasmussen has the GOP voter registration at 37.6%, highest it's ever been. Democrats are at 33.3%, 1% from its all time low."

I'm hoping this isn't the case this election since Democrats will need all the votes they can get I think.

It's true. I think people could be in for a big surprise on election day if Romney can not fuck up between now and the first debate

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

That's all that needs to be said.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It's true. I think people could be in for a big surprise on election day if Romney can not fuck up between now and the first debate

LOL. I was like, "who is this new guy in here playing on PD's shtick!?!"

then i saw the username. Unless Obama gets caught with a live boy/dead girl/white girl it is over, man.

Rasmussen is the only pollster showing a more republican electorate than democrats.

By that logic, why even ask for any money?

Furthermore, GM isn't repaying a loan, they're trying to buy ownership.

And don't sit here and act like if Obama brought back money at the current stock price that you wouldn't be lambasting him for losing money on the deal.

So after a disastrous week of bungles, Romney campaign retooled his campaign over the weekend and started anew with the issue of the campaign: Economy. But the politico story on Romney mismanagement is starting to overshadow his message.

Will rift report distract from new economic message?

Los Angeles (CNN) - After a tumultuous week marked by Republican hand-wringing over his comments on unrest in Libya and Egypt, Mitt Romney is going back to the beginning. The GOP nominee is refocusing his message on the issue repeatedly singled-out by campaign advisers as the one that will decide the election: the economy.

Based on excerpts released from a speech Romney is scheduled to deliver to the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on Monday in Los Angeles and two new TV ads, Romney appears to be starting the week with a simpler, easier to understand economic pitch to voters.

"I know how to balance budgets. We balanced our budget in my business, in the Olympics, and every year in my state," Romney is expected to say in his address.

The return to the economy follows days of open criticism from some top Republican strategists and pundits about Romney's comments on the recent diplomatic attacks in Libya and his overall strategy for winning in November.

A new distraction for the campaign emerged late Sunday night in a glaring report from POLITICO, which revealed some of the tensions brewing among Romney's top advisers. In the report, Romney strategist Stuart Stevens is blamed for some of the perceived mishaps at the Republican Convention, most notably Clint Eastwood's memorable, yet bizarre speech to an empty chair.

A senior Romney adviser dismissed the POLITICO piece as inside baseball gossip. "Stu is part of the team," the adviser said.

Reports of internal strife plagued John McCain's campaign in the weeks before the 2008 election. Stories about the infighting surrounding McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate eventually interfered with the Arizona senator's campaign message.

The POLITICO story on the Romney campaign is beginning to have the same effect, but for how long remains unclear.

On Twitter, former speechwriter to President George W. Bush and CNN contributor David Frum said the POLITICO piece "utterly misses the point."

"The Romney campaign has a messaging problem because it has a policy problem," Frum tweeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom