• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Romney's point is pretty stupid. A lot of that so-called 47% will vote for him, considering it's a lot of elderly and well, the poor don't vote in unison democrat.

Hell, 40%+ of those earning over $100k a year are going to vote for Obama according to polling. If Obama won 47% of those that didn't pay income tax and 40% over $100k and 45% of 50-$100k as polling around now, then Romney would be able to win maybe a state. Utah.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly think Obama can't wait to rip him a new one in the debates. From a certain point of view, one could view Romney as directly insulting Obama and the struggles he had in life.

It's personal, indeed.

Damn straight it is, Romney basically made light of the entire journey that Obama made. The guy is living scum.

Clevinger

wonder what Breitbart will say

CLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGIONCLINGTOGUNSANDRELIGION

XenodudeX

120917-romney-vows-to-get-specific-on-plans.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
Romney's point is pretty stupid. A lot of that so-called 47% will vote for him, considering it's a lot of elderly and well, the poor don't vote in unison democrat.

Hell, 40%+ of those earning over $100k a year are going to vote for Obama according to polling. If Obama won 47% of those that didn't pay income tax and 40% over $100k and 45% of 50-$100k as polling around now, then Romney would be able to win maybe a state. Utah.

Besides all that, his point is stupid because it's based on a fallacy. People who don't owe federal income taxes due to deductions and credits still pay state income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes and in some cases, property taxes!

Snake

Romney's comment may be dumb but I don't see it having any effect. The folks heavily reliant on government spending who are voting for Romney will probably agree with the underlying message because "it doesn't apply to me!" / "I'm just starving the beast!"

The Romney campaign has issued an official response to the video, and unsurprisingly, it has only a tenuous relationship with what Mitt actually said. Oh, to be a fly on the wall...

Gail Gitchco said:
Mitt Romney wants to help all Americans struggling in the Obama economy. As the governor has made clear all year, he is concerned about the growing number of people who are dependent on the federal government, including the record number of people who are on food stamps, nearly one in six Americans in poverty, and the 23 million Americans who are struggling to find work. Mitt Romney’s plan creates 12 million new jobs in four years, grows the economy and moves Americans off of government dependency and into jobs.

Besides all that, his point is stupid because it's based on a fallacy. People who don't owe federal income taxes due to deductions and credits still pay state income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes and in some cases, property taxes!

Not only that, but that list includes college students who don't work, the elderly who are retired, and people who lost their jobs especially in the recession (47% is a high number, historically, and it's no shock given it was in 2009).

markatisu

Romney's comment may be dumb but I don't see it having any effect. The folks heavily reliant on government spending who are voting for Romney will probably agree with the underlying message because "it doesn't apply to me!" / "I'm just starving the beast!"

I think the damage comes more from the Hispanic comments and just adds to the overall narrative that he is a train wreck.

Nothing in there is going to be scandalous, but the fact that its yet another mistake by a candidate who has been professionally running for office will hurt him

gkryhewy

Was on abcnews as well, shoehorned on the end of a story about romney campaign disagreements. They were carefully neutral, basically just reading the two campaign statements without really even discussing the video itself much at all.

Raine

Smart response. Take the hit and move on. Any attempt to try to spin this just feeds the story

Agreed. They know this is bad. No use in trying to spin it.

But I'm betting, given their history, they won't stay in that frame of mind for long.

Allard

I think the damage comes more from the Hispanic comments and just adds to the overall narrative that he is a train wreck.

Nothing in there is going to be scandalous, but the fact that its yet another mistake by a candidate who has been professionally running for office will hurt him

I'd say the generalization of Obama supporters is more damning to Romney then the meat of the comment itself. He basically insulted all the current and what might have been former Obama supporters, these are not the people he wants to be riling up. Usually you want to be winning votes away from your opponent...

Smart response. Take the hit and move on. Any attempt to try to spin this just feeds the story

The problem is this story is big. It's a pretty serious thing to deride half of the country like that. It shows a glimpse of President Mitt Romney: President of only GOP. Romney cannot move on from this until everyone has dissected this statement and played it on Sunday talk shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom