• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama is polling behind Bush's 2004 run. This can go either way. The debate is going to make this a pure toss up

It's just worth pointing out that you are overstating your case here. Bush was running at 49-49.5% on the eve of the debate, Obama is running 49% even (From RCP poll aggregration). Statistically even. Also, Bush didn't have the swing state advantage that Obama is seeing, and if my calculations are right, Bush was up 3.5 in Ohio before the debates, where Obama is up 5.5. Obama's Electoral math is much stronger at this point than Bush's was.

Romney is ahead of Kerry at this point though.

It's just worth pointing out that you are overstating your case here. Bush was running at 49-49.5% on the eve of the debate, Obama is running 49% even (From RCP poll aggregration). Statistically even. Also, Bush didn't have the swing state advantage that Obama is seeing, and if my calculations are right, Bush was up 3.5 in Ohio before the debates, where Obama is up 5.5. Obama's Electoral math is much stronger at this point than Bush's was.

But there's not gonna be suddenly a Bin Laden tape.

HylianTom

Banned
Bold prediction. I'm still in the "Obama will win as things are but things could still change to favor Mitt" camp. Although the severity of things changing has to be pretty damn big at this point.
And the great thing is.. as time elapses, those early votes are being banked into an Obama lead. Imagine if The Big Thing came out on November 1st, and Romney wins Election Day voting - but it isn't enough to overcome Obama's established lead.

Delicious.

Bush blew his lead by bombing at the debate performance.

Even if Romney "wins" he's not going to school Obama by any means. Get real, people.

APF, Mandark, Kosmo, Manos... There will be others dressed in different names.

The one conservative I miss is this guy:

KUar5.jpg

He would come in randomly and have a big rambling post about the evils of liberals. He was almost a clown in that no one took him seriously. I had fun just reading the reaction posts.

I'm all for more political diversity on poligaf. However, I don't want douchebags, trolls, idiots, crazies and joke characters on poligaf. Luckily all those banned fall in one of these categories.

And hey, it's not our fault that there's such a great correlation between mainstream GOP supporters and all those unwanted characteristics... :p

Not to single you out Souldriver, but some regular PoliGAF posters do make douchebag posts. I don't post much but I do try to read all of the tread. I have seen some vitriol coming from good people. Case in point:

Eat shit, Corbett. Today is a good day for all Pennsylvanians.

I know Diablos is a good guy and poster, but do we really need to tell Corbett to eat shit? Does Dax or Speculawyer need to make a post that just says, "Fuck Romney or Paul Ryan?" Maybe you guys are just passionate people, but I don't think Romney is a bad man personally. He's just a normal person. He's not some monster. He's as greedy as the next guy. I think sinking to the point where we attack the man and not the policy is wrong. But I also believe that it tends to happen as the election goes on. People just get too wound up. But posts like that are also what makes it hard to attract the other side of aisle to this thread. Anyway, my future hope for PoliGAF is that some day the Republicans will field a candidate that I would like to support. But that will be hard due to me being socially liberal.

While I agree in a fundamental sense, I think that this is the wrong time for Obama to take that question on. Next year he can bring Senator Warren on stage to make the case with him.
Perhaps true, yes. Right now he just needs to make sure he wins the nomination. Hopefully his second term will tackle this problem however.

The one conservative I missed was this guy:

KUar5.jpg

He would come in randomly and have a big rambling post about the evils of liberals. He was almost a clown in that no one took him seriously. I had fun just reading the reaction posts.
Drakesfortune. I also miss Kittonwy's drive by posting.

God we need a memorial of all the right wing crazy posters.

Bush blew his lead by bombing at the debate performance.

Even if Romney "wins" he's not going to school Obama by any means. Get real, people.

It's really hard for me to imagine Obama doing as bad as bush did at that first debate. I remember bush's handlers practically apologizing for him after it.

Does Dax or Speculawyer need to make a post that just says, "Fuck Romney or Paul Ryan?" Maybe you guys are just passionate people, but I don't think Romney is a bad man personally. He's just a normal person. He's not some monster. He's as greedy as the next guy. I think sinking to the point where we attack the man and not the policy is wrong.

I've looked into my post history of this thread to see where I've said "fuck you, Mitt" or any variation thereof and I could only find this post. And I don't think it was uncalled for. I can see your point on more restrained language, though, and I'll definitely dial down in the future.

Nah, when Mitt tells a clear lie that I can explain, I think I have the right to throw a f bomb his way. Someone wants to do the same to Obama, go right ahead. You're just probably going to have to explain your reasoning.

Cloudy

Banned
Wow David Gregory is a jackass. He forces Warren to take a position on the Red Sox coach (she shouldn't have) yet lets Brown not take a position.

Cheebo

Banned
It's drudge so it'll be a anti-Obama video. Or whatever he thinks is anti-Obama.

Does Drudge realize the reason his tape reveals (like that redistribution one) fail to catch on unlike the 47% one was Romney's was this year while he was running for president in this elections. Drudge's ones of Obama are like 15 year old videos from the mid 90's.

It's drudge so it'll be a anti-Obama video. Or whatever he thinks is anti-Obama.

Does Drudge realize the reason his tape reveals (like that redistribution one) fail to catch on unlike the 47% one was Romney's was this year while he was running for president in this elections. Drudge's ones of Obama are like 15 year old videos from the mid 90's.

But a blatantly race related video could destroy Obama's chances, if played right. If this is chopped and edited to be deceptive that's a different story

But a blatantly race related video could destroy Obama's chances, if played right. If this is chopped and edited to be deceptive that's a different story

The Obama racist angle will never work.

Do these people forget that his mother was white? The grandparents that helped raise him were white? That he's half white?

Da fuck?

pigeon

Banned
Maybe you guys are just passionate people, but I don't think Romney is a bad man personally. He's just a normal person. He's not some monster. He's as greedy as the next guy.

No, he isn't. I don't think Romney is necessarily a bad guy (although his friends saying he's a good guy if you get to know him does not strike me as convincing). Nor do I unquestionably swallow all of the media narrative from whatever source -- the media's job is to sand the sharp edges off everything before they hand it to us. But don't tell me that Romney's as greedy as the next man, because if the next man is me, it's just not true. I wouldn't have done the things he has been documented as doing to make money, and I don't think it's wrong of me to say that. Sure, his upbringing is probably responsible to a great degree, but most of us are given the chance to overcome our worse natures, and I doubt Romney is the exception. I disagree with Romney on pretty much every policy issue ever -- if not this Romney, then some previous Romney for sure. But even if I agreed with him, I just don't think he belongs in the White House -- and that's for purely personal reasons, not political ones. We don't know everything about him, but we know enough.

edit: And I should note here that I still believe George W. Bush wasn't that bad a guy.

The Obama racist angle will never work.

Do these people forget that his mother was white? The grandparents that helped raise him were white? That he's half white?

Da fuck?

I know a lot of mixed people who hold racist views on black or white people. Obama is obviously not racist but given his history, is it hard to believe he might have expressed some tough views on race...not racist, but shit many people don't want to deal with?

I've looked into my post history of this thread to see where I've said "fuck you, Mitt" or any variation thereof and I could only find this post. And I don't think it was uncalled for. I can see your point on more restrained language, though, and I'll definitely dial down in the future.

I'm not trying to single anyone out Dax. I was just reading the thread and your posts stuck out to me. Apparently some news hits, and the thread gets a lot of reaction comments with some of them being more incendiary than others. And this is probably one of the reasons conservatives don't enter the lion's den. I'm not saying people need to change their ways. Politics leaves no room for hurt feelings. Just look at eznark or toxicadam. They could care less about what people think of him. But attacking candidates themselves I believe servers no real purpose. They are only acting out the wishes of others, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are now. But if we want more conservatives here, then we need to lay off the personal attacks.

Diablos

I know Diablos is a good guy and poster, but do we really need to tell Corbett to eat shit?
Yes. I can't wait to vote him out. He is a terrible Governor. Ask most other people who aren't completely to the right in PA and they'll tell you the same, most likely.

Between voter ID, gutting education like crazy, only caring about Jerry Sandusky when it's politically convenient -- yes, Corbett is an embarrassment to my state.

No, he isn't. I don't think Romney is necessarily a bad guy (although his friends saying he's a good guy if you get to know him does not strike me as convincing). Nor do I unquestionably swallow all of the media narrative from whatever source -- the media's job is to sand the sharp edges off everything before they hand it to us. But don't tell me that Romney's as greedy as the next man, because if the next man is me, it's just not true. I wouldn't have done the things he has been documented as doing to make money, and I don't think it's wrong of me to say that. Sure, his upbringing is probably responsible to a great degree, but most of us are given the chance to overcome our worse natures, and I doubt Romney is the exception. I disagree with Romney on pretty much every policy issue ever -- if not this Romney, then some previous Romney for sure. But even if I agreed with him, I just don't think he belongs in the White House -- and that's for purely personal reasons, not political ones. We don't know everything about him, but we know enough.

edit: And I should note here that I still believe George W. Bush wasn't that bad a guy.
Then you're not the average guy. Answer this question for me: How greedy do you think Romney compares to the average individual? If a random person was picked off the street and you do not know anything about his moral fiber, then how would he react if put in similar situations like Romney? I can tell you from working as a tax accountant for a couple years that people are greedy and would hide their money just like Romney does. And I agree with you that the Presidency needs someone of a higher caliber than Romney or the average man.

codhand

Best election nights have already come and gone this year, where Santorum squeaked ahead of Romney in surprise wins. That was simply gold. Obama Romney election gonna be called in an hour.

Sheeit last election once Indiana went Blue I started telling my friends "It's all over! colbert.gif" They're dumbfounded like "huh? What about Ohio & Florida." I'm all like "nah sons, game over, goodnight, thanks for playing, you can vote however you like, heeeeyyy, I told you to chill the fuck out he got this" etc.

There is nothing wrong with greed of an individual.

It's when that greed and self interest affects public policy where it becomes an issue.

So would you say that greed, for lack of a better word, is good?

Socreges

Banned
What is this proposed 20% tax cut across the board that Ryan is talking about? Is there any actual attempt at an explanation as to how it's "revenue neutral" and wouldn't bankrupt the government?

Sheeit last election once Indiana went Blue I started telling my friends "It's all over! colbert.gif" They're dumbfounded like "huh? What about Ohio & Florida." I'm all like "nah sons, game over, goodnight, thanks for playing, you can vote however you like, heeeeyyy, I told you to chill the fuck out he got this" etc.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be like that this year when Obama wins Virginia or something and I'll be like "YEAHHH, OBAMA'S WON BASICALLY" and my less-politically tuned in friends will just be like "what? It's only 6 o'clock man."

So would you say that greed is good?

It's neither good nor bad.

It's an essential animal trait and can be harnessed for good and bad.

It allows us to provide for our families and it can be a driver for ambition and achievement.

But it can also allow us to make judgments in favor of the few at the expense of the many or policy decisions with benefit to the fortunate while oppressing the poor and the needy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom