• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's panic mixed with disappointment. More than anything, as I calm down a bit, I'm just mad at the President. Jon Stewart hit the nail on the head. All year Obama says he can't do this without us, he needs us, give us money, join the fight, volunteer, give us more money, I can't do this alone. So we do, and that's how he represents us after a year plus of him wanting us to join the cause? It's sobering, to say the least.
Honest question: Do you read your posts before you hit "submit"? Maybe you should start doing that because what I – and I suspect many others – get from your posts is the opposite of what you're saying. It's all panicked rambling with little to no "disappointment" coming through.

HylianTom

Banned
They bought the time already
Really?!

I am so pleased to hear this. Mock me if you will, but I am a big fan of the political infomercial. Perot used this kind of airtime to make big progress in the polls (I loved his charts at the time as well).

I hope Romney doesn't follow in-kind. And I hope Bill Clinton shows-up for a segment.. he seems to be Obama's best salesman, honestly.

RDreamer

I just wish liberals pulled the page out of the conservative playbook and didn't beat up on Obama after the debate so much. Directly afterwards they should have emphasized just how astoundingly much Romney lied his ass off in that debate. That should have been the point they drove home, not that Obama failed us. Muddy up the water a bit, you know. Do what the republicans likely would have done. If they did that, then the media would have been especially muddy, since they just like to report crap as a he said she said sort of thing. If both he and she are saying Obama sucked it up of course that's going to be what they go with. If he said Obama sucked and she said Mitt Romney lied his ass off, guess what happens then?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Headline on the front page of Saturday's paper here in Louisville:

"Jobless rate debated. Democrats laud dip to 7.8%, others claim number is cooked"

smh

We'll see if I'm right, but I kind of see that debate as a Pyrrhic victory for Romney. While he won it, he made himself vunlerable to claims of flip flopping, and made his positions even more muddled/confused.

If he doesn't actually go and change his policies (which would be an interesting set of issues unto itself), the obama campaign needs to go and just read direct quotes from Mitt Romney's webpage to show how ridiculous his run to the center is. Flip flopping/Sincerity has been a vulnerability for him, one that he's largely gotten away from running as a super conservative.

Don't get me wrong, Obama did poorly in that debate (especially upon a second viewing), but Romney's may have set himself up for more pain. Sometimes it seems like Obama's political life is blessed, and as he screws up his opponents seem to fall over themselves and offer him oppurtunities on a silver platter. The Bush tax cuts/Fiscal cliff stuff is a perfect example of this.

Whether this is right will depend on the media spin of the debate, which was decidely horseracy, but with a few examples poking Mitt for his dishonesty at the debate. Another part we'll see in the polls, immediate polling will be really strong for Mitt, but it will trail off quickly if my theory is correct.

GAF, don't let me be a TV pundit, someone call me out if I'm wrong here ;).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

"Jobless rate debated. Democrats laud dip to 7.8%, others claim number is cooked"

smh

I cannot wait for Murdoch to retire. He has caused so much harm to rational thought in general society, and it impacts everything. Politics, Science, and facts are now belief systems.

ISOM

I just wish liberals pulled the page out of the conservative playbook and didn't beat up on Obama after the debate so much. Directly afterwards they should have emphasized just how astoundingly much Romney lied his ass off in that debate. That should have been the point they drove home, not that Obama failed us. Muddy up the water a bit, you know. Do what the republicans likely would have done. If they did that, then the media would have been especially muddy, since they just like to report crap as a he said she said sort of thing. If both he and she are saying Obama sucked it up of course that's going to be what they go with. If he said Obama sucked and she said Mitt Romney lied his ass off, guess what happens then?

I think this is the biggest issue that I had with after the debates. Liberals should of come in defending obama instead of pouring on the criticisms on top of republicans. People want to know why conservatives/republicans have less messaging problems than liberals? This is one of the reasons, they buy into their own bullshit and don't admit when they failed.

ISOM

smh

lol at this, there is no debate in the jobless numbers. There is just sore losers who want to see the economy fail, and the winners real americans.

HylianTom

Banned

smh

On balance, they can't diminish the help Obama will get from those numbers..
papers.png

Trakdown

You know, one thing that baffles me...Conservatives could have easily taken these job numbers and championed them as proof that the Bush tax cuts are working, or that having a Republican-controlled House has led to economic growth. But no, they went full Glenn Beck and claimed conspiracy. Kinda dumb.

smh

See, while I feel like a healthy skepticism of our government is generally a good thing, the fact that we have institutions like the BLS, generally considered above the fray is really important to our development and ensuring our system works.

This is not healthy skepticism though, this is naked political partisanship masquerading as healthy skepticism, which has a tendency to undermine confidence in important institutions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

smh

This is how you know that paper is garbage. Anyone that runs with the "numbers are cooked" story without thoroughly debunking it is garbage, especially if it's in the headline. I mean shit, even CNN did their job on that front.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I cannot wait for Murdoch to retire. He has caused so much harm to rational thought in general society, and it impacts everything. Politics, Science, and facts are now belief systems.

His retirement isn't going to change anything.

Diablos

You really think things will go back to the way they were? LOL. Would be nice, huh.

Diablos

hahahaha, that would be great.

You know, one thing that baffles me...Conservatives could have easily taken these job numbers and championed them as proof that the Bush tax cuts are working, or that having a Republican-controlled House has led to economic growth. But no, they went full Glenn Beck and claimed conspiracy. Kinda dumb.
IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY

pigeon

Banned

The problem is that this is the process that turned the Republican Party into the Republican Party.

Gotchaye

Way too nuanced. The president is held accountable for the economy.

And anyway they've been calling it the Obama economy for a long, long time now. Their avowed strategy has been to sabotage policy-making as much as possible in order to get Obama unelected. It'd be awfully hard to turn around and take credit for good things happening.

The problem is that this is the process that turned the Republican Party into the Republican Party.

Good way of putting it. There are advantages to having people on your own side willing to say when you fuck up. Feedback is useful.

From that I found this pretty funny:

25402297.jpg

Romney has been able to raise a new question that is hard to deal with:

When Romney espouses a different policy view is it a lie or just a flip-flop?

How can he be lying about his position when he changes them in quantum time?

smh
So the system we've used for decades is suddenly in question because conspiracy theorists don't like the results.

I'm really getting fucking tired of conspiracy theories with no evidence backing them being accepted as a possible truth.

Zabka

It's a pivot. Just an innocent little pivot.

Gotchaye

This wouldn't be hard if the media had previously understood the difference between lying and flip-flopping, even though they often occur together. Changing one's position is flip-flopping. If in the course of flip-flopping, a politician pretends that no flip-flop is occurring, then s/he is lying about past positions.

When Romney says "my plan is..." and then comes out with something completely new, that's both flip-flopping and lying, given that that use of "is" strongly implies "and always has been". In general I think the burden is on politicians to be clear about it when they change a position that they articulated less than a month ago.

HyperionX

Is everyone completely focused on the debate performances or is it just the panic brigade? The Friday employment numbers probably neutralized the impact quite a bit.

I think this is the biggest issue that I had with after the debates. Liberals should of come in defending obama instead of pouring on the criticisms on top of republicans.
Sorry, but its completely disingenuous to defend a bad showing. Obama fucked up, and he's been called out for it - as he rightfully deserved. And there's nothing to stop people from giving their honest impression and heartfelt criticism while also exposing Romney's game.

There's too much partisan disinformation, truth stretching and flat out bullshit swirling around as it is, nobody should ever feel compelled to add to it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
This is actually not what I took away from the debate. Then again, I watched it on the internet so I didn't see the split-screens where Obama was constantly facing down when not speaking.

He just seemed dead-set on trying to keep the game "clean" and make his case rather than attacking Romney. He got in trouble because Romney suddenly had similar ideas as him so the contrast wasn't there. And off course, in regards to style: Romney killed it, while Obama uh... he...well, let me be clear... he... stuttered... along.. as he..often... does.

But I can't echo the "tired" and "didn't wanna be there" criticism.

Obama was looking down because he was taking notes during the debate. Which is something most candidates do. The problem here was that everything Romney said in the debate was completely new to everyone, including Obama, and Romney did not have to take any notes because he was not responding to anything Obama actually said, rather, he had pre-made responses to general topics already prepared. The contrast made Obama look worse.

I think this is the biggest issue that I had with after the debates. Liberals should of come in defending obama instead of pouring on the criticisms on top of republicans. People want to know why conservatives/republicans have less messaging problems than liberals? This is one of the reasons, they buy into their own bullshit and don't admit when they failed.

As a Librul I don't agree that we should have defended Obama this way. Call it what it is on every side. I still mind the guy, and Romney still got bashed. The truth speaks.

Trakdown

Is everyone completely focused on the debate performances or is it just the panic brigade? The Friday employment numbers probably neutralized the impact quite a bit.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ROMNEY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Romney's camp seems to think so:

The cheering stopped on Mitt Romney's campaign plane Friday morning.

The day before, aides had whistled and clapped when the Denver control tower commended the Republican presidential nominee's debate performance. It was a rare moment of exuberance for a campaign that had fallen behind President Barack Obama in a number of polls.

The euphoria ended after the morning report that the nation's unemployment rate had dropped to 7.8 percent, its lowest level in Obama's presidency. Romney and his team sat stone-faced and quiet on the flight to Virginia's coal country, taking in the good news for the country that's bad news for their political prospects.

BTW, I really don't think I should have to say this, but thinking an economic recovery is a bad thing for Americans - regardless of your political stripe - should be cause for introspection into what your values are.

BTW, I really don't think I should have to say this, but thinking an economic recovery is a bad thing for Americans - regardless of your political stripe - should be cause for introspection into what your values are.

This is American Politics. The only value that matters is whether you win or not.

If lying lets you win, Media will write articles about a successful campaign strategy of reinventing yourself to win over voters. They won't call you a liar.

Black Mamba said:
I don't understand how a polling agency can release such data. Like, if that is the data you're getting, I think it's time to re-check your shit. Obama cannot get 95% of blacks nationally and end up at 40% in Colorado. It's statistical nonsense and any statistician should be ashamed for not trying to fix this.

Wouldn't be so quick to discount. my model also shows romney with heavy black support in colorado.

Romney's camp seems to think so:
My favorite nugget from that article:

"The unemployment rate, as you know, this year has come down very, very slowly, but it's come down nonetheless," Romney told more than 3,000 supporters in this small western Virginia community. "The reason it's come down this year is primarily due to the fact that more and more people have just stopped looking for work."

Last month's improvement is attributed to more people finding work, according to data released by the Labor Department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom