• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

community_levar_555.jpg

I was really looking forward to seeing LeVar Burton on The Ed Show Friday. Sucks that he had travel trouble. Here's hoping they can reschedule.

Tim-E

ITS TIME FOR TONIGHT'S ED SHOW POLL. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JOHN BOEHNER SLASHED LEVAR BURTON'S TIRES? TEXT 1 FOR YES AND 2 FOR NO TO 88877!!!!!!!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ITS TIME FOR TONIGHT'S ED SHOW POLL. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JOHN BOEHNER SLASHED LEVAR BURTON'S TIRES? TEXT 1 FOR YES AND 2 FOR NO TO 88877!!!!!!!

John Boehner: That was never my plan. *blink* *blink* *blink*

Diablos

Good news out of CO, let's keep it goin'.

If Obama doesn't puss out during the next debate I'm probably donating.

Jackson50

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ROMNEY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Romney's camp seems to think so:

BTW, I really don't think I should have to say this, but thinking an economic recovery is a bad thing for Americans - regardless of your political stripe - should be cause for introspection into what your values are.
You mean like how liberals wanted America to fail in Iraq?
so I was at the doctor's office yesterday to get a prescription for something, and the doctor randomly said something about "you gotta get this filled before the end of the year because after that, Obamacare ain't gonna cover anything!"

Any idea of what she could be talking about? It sounded like your basic right-wing fearmongering, but I was wondering if there's some provision or something she could be referring to. Didn't see anything here, but you know, that's a government website full of lies!

I swear, whenever something right-wingish comes out of someone's mouth that I don't expect, I basically start looking like Troy

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/community_levar_555.jpg
A doctor said that? I might vote for Romney now.
http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/10/06/a-possible-electoral-map/

Here's a 332 EV prediction for Obama using a model that's been pretty accurate
Another model which has earned good repute for its accuracy and methodological quality is Erikson & Wlezien's model; even Nate Silver, despite his often justified reproofs of forecasting models, lauded their model. In PS's quadrennial election symposium which was recently published, they project Obama will win 52.6 of two-party vote share. Mind you, that's derived from leading economic indicators. So when you consider Obama's other advantages, primarily his organizational superiority, he's in a secure position.

teh_pwn

Well, it looks like Obama is at least aware he shat the bed Wednesday night, so I expect a much better performance on the 16th.

Like some of us said just after the debate, Romney doesn't have any more cards. Obama will press him on his contradictions, lies, and lack of actual plans. He's still got the 47%, 14.1%, and tax dodging cards to play. I bet we'll see Biden really press Ryan on the taxes puppies and sunshine, maybe even give up an response answer time under the condition that Ryan use it to explain the taxes.

I think part of the reason why Obama wasn't able to dismantle on the spot is that it was a complete wild card. Obama is very good at preparing an argument as we see in speeches, but not good enough on the spot to overcome "style".

markatisu

Good news out of CO, let's keep it goin'.

If Obama doesn't puss out during the next debate I'm probably donating.

I think its impossible at a town hall to do as bad as he did, they will not be taking on each other as much as interfacing with the crowd and those asking the questions. That format was made for Obama and not so much for Romney who has had awkward moment after awkward moment with people on the campaign trail

teh_pwn

I think its impossible at a town hall to do as bad as he did, they will not be taking on each other as much as interfacing with the crowd and those asking the questions. That format was made for Obama and not so much for Romney who has had awkward moment after awkward moment with people on the campaign trail

Yeah, this too. Romney cannot even connect with people half as well as McCain.

Forever

Banned

Are we forgetting how McCain just wandered around the stage for ninety minutes in a way that made his own advisers think "old man looking for a bathroom"?

RDreamer

Dammit, now I'm surrounded on both sides. Both my neighbors put out Romney/Ryan yard signs. One neighbor has fucking 3 of them up now. I'm seeing way more of them as of recently.

Anyone else find it funny that the Romney yard signs are white? :p

Gallup is same today.

But O's approval is down to 48 with a +2 spread now. Approval is on 3 day rolling so all post debate.

Ras was same as yesterday. This is now completely post debate, with R 49 - O 47

More worrying though is that post debate Republican enthusiasm is now higher than Dems (post DNC).

@JimHeath10TV: NBC Enthusiasm Poll: How interested are you in voting? GOP 79%, Dems 73% (2008 it was 83% Dems, 70% GOP)

Also...Funny!

@daveweigel
Compare the conservative base reaction to bad Romney news (SKEWED POLLS!) to lib reaction to Obama's trouble (OMG WE'RE DOOMED)

Not that Liberals aren't doing their own unskewing...lol

@JakeMillerWis
If 60% of Wis voters are over 45 and D+1, like @ppppolls, Wisconsin may be close. But if it's D+6 and 50% under 45, like '08? No #wipolitics

The only Romney or Mandel signs I've even seen in Columbus are a handful scattered out toward Dublin and literally two next to the OSU campus. It's... surprisingly refreshing.

(Speaking of which, I'm writing a paper on The New Jim Crow right now and I am absolutely goddamn enthralled)

teh_pwn

Are we forgetting how McCain just wandered around the stage for ninety minutes in a way that made his own advisers think "old man looking for a bathroom"?

Yeah, I remember, but I think that's more of a gaffe than lack of connecting. Romney cannot connect with people gaffe's aside. At least McCain fought in a war while Romney campaigned for instituting the draft while he dodged it by trying to spread Mormonism in France. Maybe the overall impact of that gaffe is more significant.

Romney will do fine. He has clearly prepared for the debates like his life depended on it. He's quick on his feet and even proved to be funny. The question is whether Obama will show up

Romney will do fine. He has clearly prepared for the debates like his life depended on it. He's quick on his feet and even proved to be funny. The question is whether Obama will show up

I demand links of where Romney was genuinely funny and not Michael Scott-esque awkward during that debate.

His Big Bird quip was an attempt @ humor and we all know how that worked out...

Yea, I expect Romney to do well in 2nd debate too. Polls confirm Romney won the first debate with a bigger margin than Obama ever had over McCain. Obama can't afford to lose another debate this badly.

Tim-E

I took my wife and daughter to a fall festival yesterday evening. There were people there handing out Romney/Ryan yard signs.

-PXG-

Dammit, now I'm surrounded on both sides. Both my neighbors put out Romney/Ryan yard signs. One neighbor has fucking 3 of them up now. I'm seeing way more of them as of recently.

Anyone else find it funny that the Romney yard signs are white? :p

I've barely seen any Romney/Ryan signs around where I live. I remember seeing a few Bush/Cheney and McCain/Palin signs though.

Romney is the GOP's version of John Kerry. People might not like the incumbent, but they're not too thrilled about their candidate either. Those who are voting for Romney are holding their noses at the same time.

I already have an Obama sign from '08. Gonna nab a Romney sign from somewhere in PA for shits and giggles, and as souvenir.

When's the vp debate?

It'll be glorious

Thursday might.

A Republican co-worker/ buddy of mine might get drunk and watch it together.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part about people putting up/handing out yard signs is that some actually believe those signs influence voters.

Jackson50

Gallup is same today.

But O's approval is down to 48 with a +2 spread now. Approval is on 3 day rolling so all post debate.

More worrying though is that post debate Republican enthusiasm is now higher than Dems (post DNC).

Also...Funny!

Not that Liberals aren't doing their own unskewing...lol
The RAND poll was effectively static, too. It seems the small bump has arrested.
I bet you $10,000 he isn't.
I took my wife and daughter to a fall festival yesterday evening. There were people there handing out Romney/Ryan yard signs.
Did you slash their tires like a good liberal?

Diablos

Uh, if the first debate is any indication he sure can connect with voters.

cartoon soldier said:
Gallup is same today.

Now this is bad news. Obama was at 54% before, his highest Gallup rating in eons, now he's down by 6 in only a couple days. Epic smh. That's how easily he had this debate in his pocket. Everyone was expecting him to just show up and put Romney away, now the dynamic is completely different because the Obama camp somehow thought acting like a skeptical professor was the best way to plead your case in front of some 67 million people.

As for enthusiasm, it's as though the debate totally made voters forget about the GOP's embarrassing convention. Dems had the edge. This really blows.

Obama's camp really made a critical error in how they prepared for the first debate. I do think it was intentional for him to be so nuanced but it has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen out of a modern day campaign.

Obama will (hopefully) do better in the townhall, but I expect Romney to be foaming at the mouth not willing to let Obama make a resurgence, you can bet he's prepping like crazy to make this a reality.

I'll say this, Mitt is fully aware of how bad September hurt his campaign, and he's not going to let go of what he's gained since the first debate without putting everything he's got into his campaign now.

gkryhewy

People were talking about seeing (or not seeing) Romney/Ryan yard signs. My anecdote is about seeing Romney/Ryan yard signs.

Sorry, I guess that's true. It just struck me as funny for some reason, without any info on where you are, how many people were taking the signs, etc.

pigeon

Banned

I'd refer to James Fallows's breakdown of the candidates's debating strengths here. Romney did very well when he was prepared, as you would expect him to, but even in this debate he made some notable misstatements and stumbles when he ended up on ground he wasn't fully prepared for. Big Bird, supporting vouchers, saying he's outsourced lots of jobs and never got a tax break, are all classic Romney-style gaffes that would've played more if Obama hadn't been so passive and become the story. Romney can prepare as much as he wants, and he will, but in a setting like a town hall the odds are that much greater that he'll be put in a situation he didn't plan, and when that happens, things have been going poorly for him all year.

Similarly, Obama losing the first debate is really well in keeping with both historical performances of incumbents and his personal debate capabilities. But historically incumbents do a lot better in the later debates. And the one time that most of us look to when we want to support the idea of Obama being a good debater? The Republican congressional retreat, where he stood up and took hostile questions, on topics of the questioner's choosing, for two hours, and more or less blew everybody away. Sounds like a town hall to me!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
His joke about Obama spending his anniversary with him, the five boys quip?

Not to split hairs, but one of those was script, and the second one was a bit creepy. But I admit that's kind of projecting based on how often Romney himself lies. I just imagined five tiny clones of himself constantly reversing previously held positions on how much candy they ate, or whether or not they applied crayon to the walls.

Jackson50

Now this is bad news. Obama was at 54% before, his highest Gallup rating in eons, now he's down by 6 in only a couple days. Epic smh. That's how easily he had this debate in his pocket. Everyone was expecting him to just show up and put Romney away, now the dynamic is completely different because the Obama camp somehow thought acting like a skeptical professor was the best way to plead your case in front of some 67 million people.

As for enthusiasm, it's as though the debate totally made voters forget about the GOP's embarrassing convention. Dems had the edge. This really blows.

Obama's camp really made a critical error in how they prepared for the first debate. I do think it was intentional for him to be so nuanced but it has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen out of a modern day campaign.

Obama will (hopefully) do better in the townhall, but I expect Romney to be foaming at the mouth not willing to let Obama make a resurgence, you can bet he's prepping like crazy to make this a reality.

I'll say this, Mitt is fully aware of how bad September hurt his campaign, and he's not going to let go of what he's gained since the first debate without putting everything he's got into his campaign now.
The movement in his approval rating doesn't mean a damn thing. It was at 48% only a week ago. It's been fluctuating within this range for a while. The drop is just the regression to the trend. Epic smh.

pigeon

Banned

You are hard to take seriously. He got to 54% from 48% in three days, now he's back to 48% in three days. Guess what, approval rating is a volatile statistic, especially on a three-day tracker. I was talking about how weird that number was before the debate, so it shouldn't be a surprise that it was temporary. Why don't you actually look at the trendline before you make inferences like this? Because the graph is pretty revealing, and it still looks like good news for Obama right now.

edit: JACKSON CHEATED BY USING WORDS THAT ARE NORMALLY SIZED TO POST FASTER

As I already noted in IRC, it's ridiculous to comment on enthusiasm the week after an event. Wait and see how things shake out.

Diablos

It's important to note, pigeon, because he hasn't been at 54% in quite some time and there's only one thing I can think of that would make him dive by 6 points in such a short period of time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's important to note, pigeon, because he hasn't been at 54% in quite some time and there's only one thing I can think of that would make him dive by 6 points in such a short period of time.

LOL YOU EDITED HAHAHAHA

syllogism

And what do you suggest was the reason his approval shot to 54%? There's only one thing I can think of

random fluctuation

pigeon

Banned

It's sad and intriguing to learn that you can't think of the concept of regression to the mean.

I think it's far more likely that the 54% sample was an outlier and it rolled out. Don't pay attention to the minor bumps, it's the trend that's important, and it's been high 40s, low 50s - making his odds of winning better than even money.

Seriously you do this like every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom