• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

It doesn't suprise me that Fox News uses that model. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a brand new model first being tested this year right? They claim it's predicted elections for the last 40 or more years but that was all done in hindsight, basically they created the model to match the results, so we'll see if it follows through this year.
Correct. To characterize it as having predicted anything is spurious. Rather, it's correctly postdicted the past eight presidential elections. 2012 is the first test of its predictive power. Of course, accurate postdictions are easy when you overfit the model. And that's the glaring flaw in their methodology. Mind you, they use data from only the past eight elections. And they estimate seven parameters in their regression. It's evident how they generated significance from the model.

Essentially, ignore it until it actually predicts something.
What was it about this particular papers projection that made it newsworthy to Fox News but not to anyone else?
Good question.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nothing happened. RAND updates at 1am and Gallup at 10.

I expected Gallup to tighten today since last Monday showed a big jump back. Instead it held steady. Means Obama is polling better than the current number.

If Gallup updated at 1am I'd comment on it then. There is no single poll to follow. Raw moved too. Ibd show a slight tightening but still a lot of undecideds.

The reason I ask if you seemed to be putting a lot of emphasis on Gallup tightening up this weekend and it did not really do that.

Kevitivity

Can someone give the the context of this map? Exactly who made this prediction? I can understand it if it is a Dick Morris prediction but surely the "news" part of Fox "News" did not put out something so blatantly bogus. Right?

If you're a leftie you watch MSNBC, if you are right, you watch FOX.

Measley

Republicans better be careful. They could wind up losing the Midwest and the Southwest. Obama won Indiana in 2008, and that makes it vulnerable for a flip. It won't happen this cycle, but in the future, the Republican party will only have power in the South and the Bible Belt.

Godslay

Banned
If you're a leftie you watch MSNBC, if you are right, you watch FOX.

If you have any sense you watch PBS.

Republicans better be careful. They could wind up losing the Midwest and the Southwest. Obama won Indiana in 2008, and that makes it vulnerable for a flip. It won't happen this cycle, but in the future, the Republican party will only have power in the South and the Bible Belt.

If they lose the presidency, I can see them reforming their party and forcing the tea party and the like out. Moving back towards the center.

Magni

Once again proving my inability to read twitter. I have no idea who this is, who he is talking to, and who says what. @@@@@ ###

"#

Brian Beutler quotes Markos Moulitsas talking about the PPP poll and then Michelle Obama talking to her husband (do I really need to link who they are :lol).

RT means ReTweet which is the Twitter equivalent of a quote. @ is what precedes a Twitter account name, # is just used for easy searching and trending stuff etc.

Kevitivity

CHEEZMO™;43230879 said:
What do you watch if you're not an idiot and want actual news?

What I do: Stick to the newspapers. Be aware of the bias of the paper you are reading. Read left and right. Always read the last two paragraphs - not just the headline.

So even Reuters moved more for Obama, now +2.

ABC/WaPo O +3
RAND O +4.6
Reuters O +2
TIPPS/IBS O +.3
Politico O +1
Gallup RV O +2
Gallup LV R +2
Rasmussen R +1

Avg O +1.25

edit: Why the fuck would USA Today release a poll 5 days after the poll? What's the use?

markatisu

LOL @ the USA Today poll and "waitress moms" so are these white women who now join the "Blue collar" aka white men who don't like minorities lol

wtf is this crap, get it out of our thread, omfg

Look at the polling dates. It's worthless. They've been holding onto this poll for days. What a crock of shit. This should have been released on Friday. It incorporates the post-debate bounce, as well.

48-48 among women. LMAO. 7 points gap between Registered and Likely voters this late in the election!?

haha, 9 point gap among registered and likely women. So basically women like Obama but won't other voting.

HylianTom

Banned
So even Reuters moved more for Obama, now +2.

ABC/WaPo O +3
RAND O +4.6
Reuters O +2
TIPPS/IBS O +.3
Politico O +1
Gallup RV O +2
Gallup LV R +2
Rasmussen R +1

Avg O +1.25

edit: Why the fuck would USA Today release a poll 5 days after the poll? What's the use?

So... we'll get to see most media outlets cling onto that Gallup LV model for their dear lives, I suppose. Ugh.

Diablos

Like Nate said, the polling this cycle has been pretty fucked up. I don't know what to think, but I would hope the state-by-state polling if nothing else is a confirmation that Bams is getting his groove back.

Look at the polling dates. It's worthless. They've been holding onto this poll for days. What a crock of shit. This should have been released on Friday. It incorporates the post-debate bounce, as well.

48-48 among women. LMAO. 7 points gap between Registered and Likely voters this late in the election!?

haha, 9 point gap among registered and likely women. So basically women like Obama but won't other voting.

Swing state polls like these are useless imo. Their general poll better one to look at.

Diablos

It will mess with the average though on sites like 538 or RCP.

USA Today = trolls for waiting this long. A-Holes.

So Mamba, sticking with the basketball analogy from before that we have been throwing around, what kinda game will Obama have tomorrow?

I still got Obama in 3 after dropping Game 1.

No it won't. They don't put in "swing state polls."

This poll is just Gallup, btw. It's Gallup's swing state poll for USA Today. And an old data set, to be exact.

USA Today obviously held off on releasing this friday just for the debate news cycle tomorrow.

So Mamba, sticking with the basketball analogy from before that we have been throwing around, what kinda game will Obama have tomorrow?

I still got Obama in 3 after dropping Game 1.

I think tomorrow is game 4 and He's up 2-1 in the series on the road. Win this and it's effectively over. He laid an egg up 2-0 on the road against a desperate team.

Like Nate said, the polling this cycle has been pretty fucked up. I don't know what to think, but I would hope the state-by-state polling if nothing else is a confirmation that Bams is getting his groove back.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these polls.

Diablos

No it won't. They don't put in "swing state polls."

This poll is just Gallup, btw. It's Gallup's swing state poll for USA Today. And an old data set, to be exact.

USA Today obviously held off on releasing this friday just for the debate news cycle tomorrow.
Epic smh.

I really don't trust these people to be picking the voters for the townhall, but nothing can be done about that I suppose

SmokeMaxX

October 5-11

The states are Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.
538 Projections:
Colorado- 50.3% R
Florida- 66.9% R
Iowa- 57.5% O
Michigan- 93.5% O
Nevada- 61% O
New Hampshire- 68.3% O
New Mexico- 94.5% O
North Carolina- 85.8% R
Ohio- 66.5% O
Pennsylvania- 90.3% O
Virginia- 52% R
Wisconsin- 77% O

Still troubling results considering most of the states that they polled are Obama states.

538 Projections:
Colorado- 50.3% R
Florida- 66.9% R
Iowa- 57.5% O
Michigan- 93.5% O
Nevada- 61% O
New Hampshire- 68.3% O
New Mexico- 94.5% O
North Carolina- 85.8% R
Ohio- 66.5% O
Pennsylvania- 90.3% O
Virginia- 52% R
Wisconsin- 77% O

Still troubling results considering most of the states that they polled are Obama states.

How do you read a poll like this? Does it mean Romney has a 51% chance to win every swing state they polled?

FLEABttn

Banned
Also Heinrich has been pretty consistant in being dominate over Wilson for the Senate seat.

Wilson has no ground game. I literally haven't seen a single Wilson sign until this past weekend, one just on the outskirts of Taos, one on highway 64, and one just inside of Angel Fire.

I'd be amazed if she won, because the base and the independents that used to vote for her are not rallied.

How blue is New Mexico?

Others have posted the numbers. We're blue. The only way we're ever going red is immigration reform. And I think even that would be short lived.

Anecdotal, but my conservative co-workers have gone from angry and hopeful to angry and resigned. They know it's "done" in NM.

If he ties, he wins.

in the case of politics, yes. Although, a clear win would be demoralizing and akin to a team laying down and getting blown out in game 5.

How do you read a poll like this? Does it mean Romney has a 51% chance to win every swing state they polled?

Don't even bother with swing state polls. Are they even weighted by the state populations? And the sample sizes are probably quite small for each state.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
538 Projections:
Colorado- 50.3% R
Florida- 66.9% R
Iowa- 57.5% O
Michigan- 93.5% O
Nevada- 61% O
New Hampshire- 68.3% O
New Mexico- 94.5% O
North Carolina- 85.8% R
Ohio- 66.5% O
Pennsylvania- 90.3% O
Virginia- 52% R
Wisconsin- 77% O

As nerve wracking as this old data is, it just put in perspective that Obama would still win.

I still don't get why Obama lets that "he can't run on this record" shit gain traction.

"Yes I can run on my record motherfucker..."

I would let the nation know what I've done and accomplished with a obstructionist Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom