• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm personally even more pissed at Obama after last night. He clearly could have put Romney away for good 2 weeks ago. Why he chose not too, I'll never understand.
Because he thought Romney already WAS put away, kinda like AlteredBeast over here. ;)

Brinbe

I'm personally even more pissed at Obama after last night. He clearly could have put Romney away for good 2 weeks ago. Why he chose not too, I'll never understand.
Who knows, over-confident, over-worked, mind elsewhere (it was on his anniversary). What matters now is that he rectified it and he's not lying down now.

Anyway, I'm glad the 271 idea is taking hold now. We already got some polling confirming slight leads for Bams in IA/WI/OH, and I hope it only strengthens post-debate. Also excited to see him on the stump today in IA/OH, hope he's fired up!

Thanks for those. I like politico mostly because their articles are less editorialized.
No problem! Yeah, most sites covering US politics will offer up 'balanced' coverage, but they're mostly just opinion pieces offered from the right or left perspective. Like just look through the list of what's offered on http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ everyday and you'll see how evident it is.

Trurl

Banned
As far as I can tell, that's exactly what he is going to do. He seems sincerely not to understand basic macroeconomics or the monetary system. Then again, neither does the progressive caucus, whose leaders recently sent a letter championing austerity as well. It's a serious problem.

A few weeks ago Chris Hayes was on Bill Maher and basically said that "sometimes the economy is good, sometimes it's bad. People should stop whining about the president."

It's a point that Chauncy Gardner could have made and it left me worried about what it means to be on the left in this country.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You people still want polls from IA LOL, you guys won't be satisfied till the day of the freaking election damn
Moar polls

Ohio I don't feel is out of reach. I feel nothing is out of reach. Still three weeks to go. Think of all the early voting fraud!!!

Trakdown

You people still want polls from IA LOL, you guys won't be satisfied till the day of the freaking election damn

I'm perfectly glad to consider Ohio and Iowa Obama's by Friday if the polls don't improve for Romney. I don't see that last debate shaking them that much.

The more I read about the electoral college projections and early voting news in this thread the more I wonder why anyone considers this a close race at all. Didn't TA call it the most predictable election in recent times? I'm thinking he is right

I wonder what I'm missing (if anything)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The more I read about the electoral college projections and early voting news in this thread the more I wonder why anyone considers this a close race at all. Didn't TA call it the most predictable election in recent times? I'm thinking he is right

I wonder what I'm missing (if anything)

LOL. It both is and it isn't. Welcome to American Partisan Politics. Obama will win decisively, but right now it "looks" close.

Loudninja

Housing starts surge in positive sign for economy
(Reuters) - Groundbreaking on new U.S. homes surged in September to its fastest pace in more than four years, a sign the housing sector's budding recovery is gaining traction and supporting the wider economic recovery.

Housing starts increased 15 percent last month to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 872,000 units, the Commerce Department said on Wednesday.

That was the quickest pace since July 2008, though data on starts is volatile and subject to substantial revisions.

America's economy has shown signs of faster growth in recent months as the jobless rate has fallen and retail sales data has pointed to stronger consumer spending.

Wednesday's data showed that housing, which was battered by the 2007-09 recession, is increasingly one of the brighter spots in the economy.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/17/us-housing-idUSBRE89G0RG20121017

Keio

For a Finer World

I think the switcharoo Romney pulled from turning from his primary hardcore Mitt to the compassionate Mitt threw Obama off. He clearly had planned to come in cool & collected, and couldn't switch to passionate Bams we saw last night anymore. Now I think the cool & collected is dead & buried: he will kill Romney in the foreign policy debate.

Also because no one has really gone with the ABM, luckily. For good reason too: Obama was very presidential even when he was raining hellfire on Romney.

codhand

So much spin on Drudge
FOURNIER: Verdict Uncertain...
ANDREW SULLIVAN: 'I Am Bloody Elated'...
DICK MORRIS: Romney won the second debate...
TREAT: CANDY GIVES OBAMA 9% MORE TIME...
INTERRUPTS ROMNEY 28X...
TRICK: 'Throws the Flag'...
CANDYLAND: Romney was 'right in the main' on Benghazi, but 'picked the wrong word'...
Another debacle for America's media...
Reporters applaud Obama slam on Romney wealth...
Pelley: 'Most Rancorous Debate In History'...
'Nauseating'...
LUNTZ GROUP: BIG SWING...
MSNBC Undecided Voter Panel Swayed -- by Romney?
Threats to Assassinate Republican Explode on TWITTER After Debate...

Owzers

Posting this again

New Romney ad with debate footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7mCKnLqVZs

I first I thought it was going to be footage of Obama saying something, I was wrong haha.

That's a decent ad...maybe. You attack a guy already for "hope and change" and you close your ad saying you'll bring hope? I presume people are tired of that message and it would have been better to choose a clip of Romney at least pretending to detail a plan.

Effect

It was said before that Gallup's sampling of southern voters is really causing this uptick for Romney right? Or was that for that late US Today poll that came out? Or both? There was a break down before showing Obama in the positive (in single digits) with different groups but with a negative 22 on Southern voters.

pigeon

Banned
Nate Silver has a timely article on how the tracking polls show a tie on average and polls that revisit the same sample repeatedly (YouGov, RAND) are showing quite different results from polls that take new samples constantly, suggesting that the change is due to respondent enthusiasm (to the poll) rather than an actual move in vote share.

It was said before that Gallup's sampling of southern voters is really causing this uptick for Romney right? Or was that for that late US Today poll that came out? Or both? There was a break down before showing Obama in the positive (in single digits) with different groups but with a negative 22 on Southern voters.

Yes, that's Gallup. And remember that Obama is ALREADY guaranteed to lose the South -- so it's the perfect example of an area where poll enthusiasm is more more likely to be important than poll changes.

Loudninja

Nate Silver has a timely article on how the tracking polls show a tie on average and polls that revisit the same sample repeatedly (YouGov, RAND) are showing quite different results from polls that take new samples constantly, suggesting that the change is due to respondent enthusiasm (to the poll) rather than an actual move in vote share.
That goes without saying does it not?

Edit:nvm I read that wrong :)

Brinbe

Yeah, on first-glance that Gallup is bad, but aren't they still on that 7-day rolling average? Might take a while to see the after-effects (if any) of the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom