• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The poll of 870 likely voters was conducted Oct. 11-14, largely after the Oct. 11 vice presidential debate featuring Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan.
I'd guess that has something to do with it.

Slime

Banned
I can get over the Gallup poll, but that WI one is making me kind of nauseous. If Romney wins FL/NC/VA/WI/CO/NH, he can do without OH/NV/IA and squeak by with 271 EVs.

Diablos

Gallup and WI polls are bad news.

I expect the Gallup LV model to tighten after the second debate but that will take time.

The WI poll however, especially given the pollster, is pretty worrysome.

MULawPoll: Among those who watched Denver debate, Romney up 50-48. Among those who didn’t, Obama up 50-42. #mulawpoll
This speaks volumes... fuuuuuuuuuuuck, etc.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The polling average in Wisconsin has had Obama up by 5 heretofore. Even the post debate round of polling had Obama up bigger than 1. Interesting.

pigeon

Banned
I'd guess that has something to do with it.

Oh, I didn't even catch that -- great point. Obviously Wisconsin is going to favor Paul Ryan after the debate, because that mean New Englander kept beating up on him.

I can get over the Gallup poll, but that WI one is making me kind of nauseous. If Romney wins FL/NC/VA/WI/CO/NH, he can do without OH/NV/IA and squeak by with 271 EVs.

Winning two-thirds of the battleground states isn't really "squeaking by." Any other year, that would be called a landslide.

SmokeMaxX

That's why you shouldn't be nervous.
"If Romney holds FL and NC and THEN wins VA, CO, and THEN flips NH, and WI..."

Too many ifs. Is Romney a strong enough candidate to give him the benefit of a doubt? Although I guess a better question is "Are the American people stupid enough to vote this fool into office?"

tumblr_mc1tdkCtwg1ruwc07o1_400.jpg

Brinbe

Too many ifs. Is Romney a strong enough candidate to give him the benefit of a doubt? Although I guess a better question is "Are the American people stupid enough to vote this fool into office?"

After seeing those undecided voters on MSNBC last night, I'm afraid to answer that Q.

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDanNdzAUn0

Jackson50

No, it's not. They possessed no power in the UK's parliamentary system and were never a part of government. The UK has and will always have a de facto two party system as long as FPTP exists in the country.
It is. Their inability to gain power is partially attributable to the dispersion their supporters. However, your point is irrelevant to the discussion. The prediction is not that a country will experience a de facto two-party system. Rather, it's that a third party cannot subsist under plurality voting. And it has for approximately thirty years.

AniHawk

After seeing those undecided voters on MSNBC last night, I'm afraid to answer that Q.

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDanNdzAUn0

just look at how the independents/moderates split. they overwhelmingly favored obama last night. that's going to help. democrat spirits have been lifted. that's going to help.

anyone tell me what the big takeaway from the debate was? are people talking up the libya moment, or anything else?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
just look at how the independents/moderates split. they overwhelmingly favored obama last night. that's going to help. democrat spirits have been lifted. that's going to help.

anyone tell me what the big takeaway from the debate was? are people talking up the libya moment, or anything else?

BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN!

Trurl

Banned
I have to say, I've installed an extension to limit my Gaf time (which at the moment basically equals Poligaf time) to 45 minutes a day. I've also made a self-imposed rule that I'll only check 538 once per-day. It's brought a lot of sanity back to how I'm following the horse race.

thekad

Banned
It is. Their inability to gain power is partially attributable to the dispersion their supporters.

By dispersion, you mean dispersion across the counties which allows the FPTP system to turn their fifth of the vote into an irrelevant number of seats in Parliament? Yeah, that's the point.

However, your point is irrelevant to the discussion. The prediction is not that a country will experience a de facto two-party system. Rather, it's that a third party cannot subsist under plurality voting. And it has for approximately thirty years.

The result is the same.

Diablos

I am done here.

Every day at the same time the same stuff.
We definitely need more polling out of WI.

Every day people are saying the same stuff because the polling thus far has been a roller coaster of unpredictability.

I'm not really all that concerned about Gallup, because I think it will tighten, but the WI poll is scary. Not only because it's tight, but because Obama had a huge lead just last month and now it's within the MoE.

Trurl

Banned
I am done here.

Every day at the same time the same stuff.

The worst part of paying so much attention to the polls is that, to an extent, it's a conversation about nothing. It only feels meaningful because the outcome of the election is uncertain. After the actual results come in, any semblance of substance that these conversations have disappears.

pigeon

Banned
From Nate:

@fivethirtyeight said:
Seriously, PoliGAF, the first rule of poll analysis is that if a poll looks like an outlier, it usually is.

edit: TRYING TOO HARD

We definitely need more polling out of WI.

Every day people are saying the same stuff because the polling thus far has been a roller coaster of unpredictability.

I'm not really all that concerned about Gallup, because I think it will tighten, but the WI poll is scary. Not only because it's tight, but because Obama had a huge lead just last month and now it's within the MoE.

Yeah. It was +11 with a 3.5 point margin of error. Now it's +1 with a 3.5 point margin of error. Where do you think the reality probably is?

Slime

Banned
seems plausible

Winning two-thirds of the battleground states isn't really "squeaking by." Any other year, that would be called a landslide.

Seems like a stretch, but Romney has lead in more polls in FL, NC, VA, and CO this month than Obama, and 538 currently has his chances of winning all of them at greater than 50%. The exceptions are NH and WI, but the last few October polls have had the former either tied or with Romney ahead by 4, and then there's this new poll of the latter showing a potentially close race.

I just don't feel comfortable with WI being that close.

SmokeMaxX

FY4nB.png

Herp derp one of these is not etc.

While I think the Gallup poll is an outlier, I don't think we should go ahead and declare it as one because it IS the poll with the biggest sample size and smallest MOE. The poll just pushed the average towards where it should've been- which is a tie (based on popular vote).

I would t worry about the Wisconsin poll. It included post debate numbers from last night. It hasn't been twenty four hours. Think about who they could have possibly polled on it. Hint: they arent at work.

Gallup at this point looks ridiculous. Five points more than ras. Tipps moved +1 Obama too.

Rand ras tipps Reuters has all moved for Obama the last five days. Other companies show the same. Gallup is now the only poster showing Romney gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom