• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NH/PA, I have a very hard time believing that Obama could lose any state that Kerry won in '04, short of the Gallup +7 poll from yesterday actually proving correct.

Opiate

I really would encourage people to stop dismissing polls which are not positive for Obama.

That does not mean you should automatically agree with them, either, a la a few posters here; the reasonable, logical approach is to factor them in to your analysis. Despite the ascension of Nate Silver, it seems many people still do not think probabilistically.

It is less likely that the Gallup/PPP/etc. polls indicate the current state of the race, but it is not impossible. My guess is that people would rather mock and dismiss them than factor them in because they find their conclusions depressing.

AniHawk

god dammit, new hampshire.

going with +1 or +2 in iowa at best, now.

new hampshire can factor into romney winning the race. in fact, if romney gets virginia, ohio, and new hampshire, that's game.

No kidding. Stupid white people. You need indies to win by a decent margin, so I find this semi-troubling. But the state by state data looks rather promising. So confusing argh.

I really do hope that Bams wins the popular vote too, otherwise the GOP will be filing lawsuits and crying foul like Dems did in 2000, and we don't want this going to a conservative-leaning SCOUTS, potentially

So basically status quo?

No matter how Obama wins, the GOP will never work with him.

Loudninja

I really would encourage people to stop dismissing polls which are not positive for Obama.

That does not mean you should automatically agree with them, either, a la a few posters here; the reasonable, logical approach is to factor them in to your analysis. Despite the ascension of Nate Silver, it seems many people still do not think probabilistically.

It is less likely that the Gallup/PPP/etc. polls indicate the current state of the race, but it is not impossible. My guess is that people would rather mock and dismiss them than factor them in because they find their conclusions depressing.
Nobody is dismissing anything.

This. There are a few pollsters with terrible track records, or none to speak of that get treated with a lot of skepticism, but no one here is saying Rasmussen etc should be dismissed entirely.

Gallup at +7 is definitely an outlier though

Loudninja

Really?

Every PPP poll thus far that has been good for Obama gets universal praise, then the NH one drops and you guys are like "umm we need more data, yep!"
What we have ONE poll of NH.

All the other state states at least 2 or 3n you know damn well how this works.

Hunter S.

There is a term for this in psychology called the "belief perseverance bias" which all humans do, in which they remember the things that agree with their mindset the most and ignore those that do not. This is just an example in here of what occurs every day in many situations. Your advice will not be headed by either side because it goes against how the human mind naturally works.

Brinbe

Just FYI, that 271 from OH/WI/IA doesn't even include NH, so it's not totally necessary. It's not worth stressing about.
YqWYn.png

And checking 538, Bams is over 70% probability now in OH/IA and 80% in WI. And is back over 70% to win overall.

No kidding. Stupid white people. You need indies to win by a decent margin, so I find this semi-troubling. But the state by state data looks rather promising. So confusing argh.

I really do hope that Bams wins the popular vote too, otherwise the GOP will be filing lawsuits and crying foul like Dems did in 2000, and we don't want this going to a conservative-leaning SCOUTS, potentially
That could've been worded better.

AniHawk

gallup's rv is generally close to the general sense of a tie in other trackers, so it's not that much of an outlier. in terms of trends, the lv has leveled off at least. it probably won't start improving for a while.

Opiate

Just from the past two pages, less than 24 hours:

Gallup: Romney 90 Gary Johnson 4 Jill Stein 2 Obama 1

Gallup will probably be +10 R today just for the lolz

National poll, so who cares etc etc. But another lolz to Gallup.

I'll take a 3 point race if Obama maintains the lead but it's still too close for comfort to get overconfident.

Also, fuck Gallup.

Alright, thanks. Good to see +2 and +3 all around (except lol gallup).

Quite a few snarky posts in there that don't seem to be taking Gallup seriously. I can get more if you'd like.

Jadedx

Banned
Why is Obama still campaigning when Mitt is prepping for the debate? If O can't answer a question from John Stewart how is he going answer the same question in the debate?

GhaleonEB

They simply need to be taken in context. As with all polls, they should be evaluated against the polling aggregates. If something is an outlier - Gallup - it's okay to call it such. But it should still be given appropriate weight in the same aggregates.

Loudninja

They simply need to be taken in context. As with all polls, they should be evaluated against the polling aggregates. If something is an outlier - Gallup - it's okay to call it such. But it should still be given appropriate weight in the same aggregates.
Well said.

Why is Obama still campaigning when Mitt is prepping for the debate? If O can't answer a question from John Stewart how is he going answer the same question in the debate?
Stop worrying about what Obama does.

Quite a few snarky posts in there that don't seem to be taking Gallup seriously. I can get more if you'd like.
It's pretty clear Gallup's numbers are an outlier. I see it as more people making fun of Gallup than outright dismissing them.

giga

I dismissed it because they are clearly an outlier when seen against every other reputable national poll. It was not a dismissal based on it being bad news for Obama. My response would be the same if Gallup was showing +7 Obama.

Opiate

I absolutely agree. This is essentially a rephrasing of what you just quoted.

I am suggesting that many people are not doing that ("lolz Gallup," "fuck Gallup," etc.) and are simply dismissing it as an outlier to be ignored instead of an outlier to be factored in.

It's pretty clear Gallup's numbers are an outlier. That's why people are making fun of them.

You don't make fun of outliers. That's not how statistical modeling works.

thekad

Banned
Opiate: That's because Gallup doesn't describe the current state of the race. In fact, it deviates from the aggregate by a large margin.

pigeon

Banned

Right, because Gallup is at variance with all the other data. Obviously we factor it into the overall understanding of the situation (otherwise Obama would be obviously leading by a bunch), but the overall understanding of the situation suggests that Gallup is an outlier -- that they're not accurately representing things for whatever reason. Is it inappropriate to think this? I mean, here are another couple of "snarky posts that don't seem to be taking Gallup seriously:"

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...-world/?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-thecaucus
http://www.tnr.com/blog/electionate/108816/whats-going-the-gallup-poll

Opiate

Opiate: That's because Gallup doesn't describe the current state of the race. In fact, it deviates from the aggregate by a large margin.

This is not how aggregate analysis works. You don't decide the aggregate is right, and that outliers are to be ignored. You take all polls (conducted properly) seriously, and give greatest weight to the largest aggregate of polls.

I'm quite confident that Gallup's polling is one reason Nate Silver has Obama at ~2:1 odds instead of ~5:1, as he was polling less than a month ago. He is not ignoring or dismissing Gallup; he is clearly factoring them in and considering them seriously, despite the fact that they are currently outliers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Why should they? They are so far and beyond the aggregate in any which direction.

They have been off in their prediction by more than their MoE all the way back to 1988:

HG3Ey.png

They've been good about predicting the winner, but man, their margins are all kinds of wrong.

And not only that, but we have seen their cross-tabs, which completely overstate the south.

The worst part is that they have, by far, the largest polling sample. Why are they consistently so off?

Diablos

I am suggesting that many people are not doing that ("lolz Gallup," "fuck Gallup," etc.) and are simply dismissing it as an outlier to be ignored instead of an outlier to be factored in.
Except I wasn't dismissing it as one to be ignored, in fact, I've been ridiculed in here numerous times because I cite them as a credible pollster, thus being the reason why I am so mad, because their huge gap in O/R LV will most certainly be factored in.

pigeon

Banned
This is not how aggregate analysis works. You don't decide the aggregate is right, and that outliers are to be ignored. You take all polls (conducted properly) seriously, and give greatest weight to the largest aggregate of polls.

I'm quite confident that Gallup's polling is one reason Nate Silver has Obama at ~2:1 odds instead of ~5:1, as he was polling less than a month ago. He is not ignoring or dismissing Gallup; he is clearly factoring them in and considering them seriously, despite the fact that they are currently outliers.

Technically, the longer Gallup keeps up being an outlier, the less impact that outlier status will have due to bias ratings, so the model IS slowly discounting them as being crazy over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom