• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm so drunk I was just thinking - "you know what? Faith Hill doesn't look half bad".

I'm going to have a silkwood shower now.
UNCLEAN.
Such a cheesy opening song. And was Big Ben trying to make an environmental statement, animatedly waving the dirty, coal-y smoke from his face..?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Lol, my parents actually believe they moved the DNC because they couldn't fill it. He laughed at me for actually believing it was the weather.

I really thought my dad was smarter than this.

I used to think my mom was pretty smart, until she told me she doesn't believe in evolution anymore and gave an equivalent argument to "why we still got monkeys?" as her reasoning.

The worst part? She has a BA in anthropology.

RDreamer

I used to think my mom was pretty smart, until she told me she doesn't believe in evolution anymore and gave an equivalent argument to "why we still got monkeys?" as her reasoning.

The worst part? She has a BA in anthropology.

My dad is fervently against evolution. If you bring it up to him you get "you're telling me my wife is a monkey. Fuck you!"

Not even kidding.

AniHawk

iowa one last time.

this is how many people they approximately reached on wednesday (maybe):

14 democrats
106 republicans
69 independents

maybe not that extreme. ppp probably ran two polls concurrently instead of omitting one day and handing it to their client.

giga

e64av.gif

You mean this one?
Superallah and Captivatingly Kenyan would be great gaf usernames.

RDreamer

Well, at least you seem to have turned out OK.

It's kind of a wonder that happened, lol. I was 'conservative' for a while, and went to a heavily conservative college. I never really took the bible literally enough for it to interfere with my critical thinking, though. And for my catholic confirmation I remember writing a letter to my priest with all the things I found questionable about church stances because of that. He didn't care and said we all question things. Also wrote a paper in my religion class of college about how evolution and the Bible don't contradict each other. I got a good grade, too. He did write at the end "you're wrong," though lol.

AniHawk

i wonder if in the next two elections we'll see a libertarian candidate really come out in full force during a presidential election. it's been a while since a third party candidate had a major effect throughout the country (nader had a major affect but he was comparatively small fries to perot), and it seems to happen every 25-30 years or so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i wonder if in the next two elections we'll see a libertarian candidate really come out in full force during a presidential election. it's been a while since a third party candidate had a major effect throughout the country (nader had a major affect but he was comparatively small fries to perot), and it seems to happen every 25-30 years or so.

If that were to happen it might signify the end of the republican party as we know it, with the Libertarians absorbing them. Economically conservative, socially liberal would be a strong platform.

CygnusXS

Well you can't answer that can you?

I know you're kidding, but I actually can (and did) answer that question with a decent level of depth. Hurray for subscriptions to Scientific American and biology classes!

Too bad her response was to start citing "Christian scientists."

Unless they all break for Akin I doubt we need to worry.

Actually, the previous poll with the same numbers, the pollster specifically said that on election day it might still be a squeeker, because the vast majority of undecideds lean republican. Theyre just embarrassed or disappointed or whatever in akin.

I guess the same applies to this poll.

pigeon

Banned
No, I'm serious (who drinks on Sunday night?). LV models and screens can't adequately account for people who are 100% likely to vote (that is, they have already voted).

This is basically Nate's whole question about early vs likely voters. Worth noting -- Gallup likely voter screen does not take early voting into account.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is basically Nate's whole question about early vs likely voters. Worth noting -- Gallup likely voter screen does not take early voting into account.

So that means as more people go vote early the lead Romney has in the Gallup polls will just get bigger?!

Bad news for Diablos. Bad news for PoliGAF.

Chichikov

Going against social security and medicare is political suicide, and a libertarian who supports those programs, well, that's pretty much a LINO (trademarked!) and the GOP is already filled with those.

aVNRk.jpg

AniHawk

If that were to happen it might signify the end of the republican party as we know it, with the Libertarians absorbing them. Economically conservative, socially liberal would be a strong platform.

i think a platform like that would absorb some conservative democrats as well as moderate republicans (howevermany there are of those left).

If future presidential candidates make a big deal of early voting you'll find polls to either change their methodology dramatically (gallup) or be highly inaccurate.

Actually, the previous poll with the same numbers, the pollster specifically said that on election day it might still be a squeeker, because the vast majority of undecideds lean republican. Theyre just embarrassed or disappointed or whatever in akin.

I guess the same applies to this poll.

That seems likely to me too - if ever there were a reason to not tell a pollster you were voting for someone, this would be the time for those people it seems.

AniHawk

That seems likely to me too - if ever there were a reason to not tell a pollster you were voting for someone, this would be the time for those people it seems.

people are embarrassed to be telling an automated call their voting preferences? it's not like their names get out or there's a person on the other end.

not doubting it, just think it's bizarre.

I'm going to miss the debate tomorrow. Damn college night class. Why didn't they put this on a Tuesday or Thursday? Now I'll have to watch it online.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
people are embarrassed to be telling an automated call their voting preferences? it's not like their names get out or there's a person on the other end.

It's a shame thing. You don't want to admit you support the guy who think vaginas have magical powers, if I supported that dipshit I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone.
I don't and I hope he loses horribly

Gotchaye

Going against social security and medicare is political suicide, and a libertarian who supports those programs, well, that's pretty much a LINO (trademarked!) and the GOP is already filled with those.

Yeah, I don't see it. There aren't very many actual libertarians out there. Republicans are happy to use libertarian language on taxes and spending, but this is just cover for wanting to cut other people's government benefits. And that kind of hostility to the Other goes hand-in-hand with social conservatism. The natural compromise party seems to me to be populist/anti-libertarian. Look at right-wing parties in Europe.

There's enough of a libertarian presence in the Republican party that it wouldn't shock me if someone like Ron Paul were to win a primary at some point because of his fans' enthusiasm, but I think such a candidate would lose the general, and badly.

CygnusXS

Maybe they're so embarrassed that they can't even admit their voting choice to themselves.

Im just repeating what the pollster themselves said.

And its not an unheard of phenomena. In my country the one openly racist party historically has always done better on election day than the polls. People just dont wanna admit they're racist, even if anomymous.

Trurl

Banned

Where would socially conservative people go, though? There seems to be too many of them to just be sidelined.

Sometimes I wonder if we will end up with a libertarian party and a party that is left on economic issues but conservative on issues considered to be "social."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Where would socially conservative people go, though? There seems to be too many of them to just be sidelined.

Sometimes I wonder if we will end up with a libertarian party and a party that is left on economic issues but conservative on issues considered to be "social."

Economically liberal and socially conservative don't really mix all that well though, do they? If we're going to transition into a 3 party system this would be the most obvious way. Social conservatives in one party, economic conservatives/socially liberal in another, and completely liberal in the third. I doubt it would ever happen, but it would be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom